We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Post by Eorl @ 02:12pm 10/03/12 | 42 Comments
Blizzard has today released a saddening update in regards to the anticipated release of Diablo III, a long awaited sequel in the Diablo franchise, with news of PVP being pushed backed until after release.

Diablo III was to feature arena-based player versus player, however, according to a post by Jay Wilson, sadly that isn't so (at least not right away).
As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realise that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.
While it's no doubt a tad frustrating we won't be getting a complete game, it's still uplifting to know we will be getting it soon after, and most likely more polished to Blizzard's standards.

On a somewhat more uplifting note, we can at least expect the game soon with Jay's comments and the presumed cutting of content meaning it's nearly ready for shipping. Rumours of an April release flying around retail stores and discussion boards also helps (or can be taken with the usual Blizzard rumour grain of salt).

What are your thoughts on this recent news? Was PvP a concern for you in a series that has long been about campaign and co-op gaming? You can read the full press release over here, detailing what to expect after release.

blizzarddiablo 3jay wilsonpvp
Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£17.99!

DM
Posted 02:15pm 10/3/12
There was PVP in the Diablo series and now it's been delayed for D3? 0 f**** given. Want pvp go play WoW or something. Diablo is all about co-op fun
ridor
Posted 02:20pm 10/3/12
I think PVP will be a lot of fun but it's definately something I won't mind waiting for. Atleast we can still play the game. In fact I'm actually happier to have an incomplete game (its only pvp after all) rather than wait any more.
JakeG
Posted 02:25pm 10/3/12
More game developers need to do this instead of pushing out an inferior product.
kirkoswald
Posted 02:28pm 10/3/12
Although pvp could be a fun part of the game. I'm glad they will release it earlier with out it because diablo 3 is mainly about the co-op forsure
ravn0s
Posted 02:30pm 10/3/12
pvp will now be a paid expansion
Posted 02:30pm 10/3/12

Yep, this exactly. The arena stuff looked fun, but its not even really a factor of why I want D3, in fact until this post I had forgotten it was even in D3. Don't mind waiting at all for this if it means we get D3 sooner.
Dan
Posted 02:32pm 10/3/12
Heh, timely release...

I cant recall, was D3 supposed to have world PvP, where both people could consent to being hostile anywhere in any level, or was PvP always only going to be limited to the separate arena mode?
Alain
Posted 02:33pm 10/3/12
Ughh, when's the next round of keys? you're killing me here (also the last round I got the 1 year achievement 1 day after the 2nd round batch >.>) can't get any luckier than that!
Tollaz0r!
Posted 02:33pm 10/3/12
If this was Capcom, it would be completed but you would have to pay an extra $20 to enable it.
Posted 02:42pm 10/3/12

Yeah, but you'd have to buy separate DLC for each class to enable them in Arena.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 02:51pm 10/3/12
Ha, why not take it a step further, you have to buy DLC for each skill you want to use.

Level up, got to pick your skill and you can unlock a new one! For only $1.49!
jimeh
Posted 03:02pm 10/3/12
Don't care as long as its coming. Its more a "show off your farm" endgame thing anyway.
Reverend Evil
Posted 03:20pm 10/3/12
PVP is for f*****s and sailors anyway. Co-op is where it's at.
Zapo
Posted 03:30pm 10/3/12
Would I rather have this at release than not - yes.
Would I rather it get D3 gets delayed because of this - no.

Hopefully this means we'll hear about a release date ASAP.
Romper
Posted 03:43pm 10/3/12
I'm glad to see that Blizzard has made a decision to omit PVP for the time being rather than delay the whol game. I think release date announcement should happen this month.

If you have a look at the Blizzard forums, you'll see quite a large number of comments complaining about the omission of the PVP. I find it weird as I always thought of Diablo as a Co-op style game.

No loss and it will be released at a later date.
Tashy
Posted 04:29pm 10/3/12
Ya I saw pvp as an "addition" to the game - not the main focus!

I want to play it nao! I luv button bashing! xD
gamer
Posted 04:31pm 10/3/12
PVP in a hack n slash? lolz
Eorl
Posted 05:37pm 10/3/12
What will be really interesting is if it is actually put back in. We all know how the dance studio and azjol nerub as a city went.
shad
Posted 07:08pm 10/3/12
I didn't even know there was suppose to be PVP, would have been a bigger outcry if they had delayed D3 to implement it.
Hanger18
Posted 08:02pm 10/3/12
Thank you kindly Mr. Blizzard sir. I will finish single player first anyway before jumping online.
Superform
Posted 09:25pm 10/3/12
i just hope that i can play hardcore without a bunch of asshat pkers running around.. i remember spending 6+ months with my hardcore mage who was tked when i was ambushed in that stupid twisting corridor in the last act.. f*** i was pissed..
Scooter
Posted 09:32pm 10/3/12
And a month after initial release you can purchase 'D3 Arena play' for the Low Low price of $ ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Meh, I was Co-op and/or Single player only anyway.
DoCZero
Posted 10:56pm 10/3/12
Lol, don't you guys remember how fun it was in D2 - joining a game, friending all players to find locations, then unfriend / go pk mode on their ass and run to try find them!

If you were good you could drop heaps of items on their corpse to pop their bodies and steal all their items! Or if you were playing hardcore - kill them outright, take their ear!

Ohhh yeh D2 had it right, arena pvp... ... pfffftttt leave it out blizzard, go back to your roots! Where PKing actually meant something!
Mordecai
Posted 11:00pm 10/3/12

and if this was r/gaming we would be demanding Blizzard release the arena stuff RIGHT NOW as there is clearly information in the game suggesting it was to be included.
Posted 11:08pm 10/3/12

Nah, cos I'm not a c***
Wolstencroft
Posted 10:58am 11/3/12
PK is not in the game anyway, the PvP system was Area's only, everyone QQ'ing about PK'ing now being out clearly hasn't followed the game very well.

Blizzard Themselves said they felt PK'ing was a terrible idea.
Shaexen
Posted 11:13am 11/3/12
Don't even care about this game anymore. Won't have time for anything after gw2 is released.
Hogfather
Posted 11:39am 11/3/12

I hope GW2 is the second coming, but that banner has been raised many times over the years.
iconocast
Posted 12:02pm 11/3/12
its not the same blizzard annymore
Tombo
Posted 01:20pm 11/3/12
I hope PvP never impacts anything PvE in this game
Posted 01:32pm 11/3/12
Well, I don't know if their goals or their thinking on the pvp has changed, but I remember at Blizzcon when they were showing off the arenas and people asked about balance, they flat out said they weren't balancing anything for PvP, only balancing it for PvE, and they didn't care if it ended up unbalanced in pvp because the pvp was just like a fun little extra bit. Its not intended to be like competition-grade pvp or anything, just a fun diversion.

Like I said though, that was a while ago now, dunno if their thinking on it has changed, but I hope not.
gamer
Posted 01:45pm 11/3/12
I remember when the exact same thing was said about wow... then esport went big and the whole game was thrown to s***.
paveway
Posted 02:41pm 11/3/12
couldnt give a s***

probably wont ever touch pvp regardless of when it is released
trog
Posted 03:04pm 11/3/12
Man, I would be so pissed about this, because of all the times Blizzard said it would be out on a certain date. And now here we are and they're saying they're slowing things down just because they want to make a "better" product. No wonder their games never sell on PC.
naDnerb
Posted 07:54pm 11/3/12
trog your comment is so wrong you sound unemployable.
Cemax
Posted 08:33pm 11/3/12
Saddening update ? Best news all week! F*** PvP!
tvcars
Posted 10:11pm 11/3/12
Best news ever. The pvp'ers in D1 and D2 were a*******. So it's good to see that these people can just chill while the rest of us enjoy ourselves.
Nakor
Posted 10:25pm 11/3/12
trog your comment is so wrong you sound unemployable.

lol...that was a quick catch trog!
JakeG
Posted 02:14am 12/3/12
Great that the game isn't being delayed for PvP but i don't understand all the hate towards PvP arena.

I think the D3 PvP arena will surprise alot of you.. Blzzard are notoriously good at making sure of that.

When I played WoW i much preferred to PvP in arena than Raiding. I'm glad they are catering to all types of players.
trog
Posted 08:07am 12/3/12
I wish HTML5 would hurry up and get here so I can use the SARCASM tag to avoid confusion
Raven
Posted 08:45am 12/3/12
For now, we'll just use blink in place of sarcasm. Sound good?

Edit: But that original reply was awesome :)
kirkoswald
Posted 12:31pm 12/3/12
I would have liked to play wow pvp in arena but the ping was too much of an issue...