shark week, all week
Depth is one of the best games you may have never heard of, and we've gone hands-on with it and had a chance to chat to the team behind it. Check out both features!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Steve Farrelly @ 04:26pm 12/10/11 | 9 Comments
AusGamers recently spoke with Battlefield 3 producer, Patrick Liu, out at their EA Showcase in Las Vegas and posed a handful of community questions to him, as well as touched on a number of topics, including that glaring LAN situation.

"When we ship the game, we won’t have any LAN support," he asserted when we raised the topic.

"The main reason there is for security -- we want to have a secure game with less cheating and less piracy and all of that. With control of the servers, we have more control over that stuff.

"That said, we are investigating different solutions to that, where it doesn’t require as much bandwidth for example -- that may be one solution. But we most likely won’t have pure LAN support," he added.

We did, however, push the topic and received a "never say never" out of him on the idea of community hunger for the feature. We also talked about flying jets for newcomers, the potential for Bad Company series maps as DLC down the track, naval ships from 1942, co-op bots and PC dedicated server specifics.

Click here for the full interview.

casa
Posted 04:34pm 12/10/11
It's funny how when I first read this I was soo pissed off and butt-hurt, then I calmed down and realised I haven't actually lanned since the last QGL and stopped giving a s***.
ravn0s
Posted 04:55pm 12/10/11
pretty poor excuse. if someone is cheating at a lan, you just bash em.
Midda
Posted 04:57pm 12/10/11
I don't remember the last time I played a game over LAN.
parabol
Posted 05:06pm 12/10/11

What do they mean, they don't want the server binaries becoming public?
Hackers don't need that - they can just inspect client code and network traffic.

Or are they saying they want pure public servers? He seems to be cramming it all together as "that stuff".

What? I have no idea what that sentence means.
Eorl
Posted 05:10pm 12/10/11
I just want to be able to host a bloody server on my VPS that I rent. IS IT THAT HARD YOU MONEY GRUBBING WORMS!
casa
Posted 06:13pm 12/10/11
I thought you could, you just have to apply and prove you weren't a poof?
123kings
Posted 11:21pm 12/10/11
I miss LAN parties....
infi
Posted 12:19am 13/10/11
then organise one, oh right you don't miss them THAT much.
eXemplar
Posted 12:26am 13/10/11
I thought you could, you just have to apply and prove you weren't a poof?

You have to contact DICE to apply to be a server provider, either proving you have the backing (equipment and support wise) to host in a managed fleet, or pay them a lot of money.

AKA, you won't be able to run your own servers, but you will be able to "rent" one from a company.