to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Hogfather @ 08:38am 21/09/11 | 44 Comments
The eagerly-awaited beta has begun! Time to start spamming your inboxes :)
The fiery gates leading to the Burning Hells have begun to swing open, and the Diablo III beta test is officially underway. Invitations to participate in the beta test are now being delivered to the chosen heroes. As with beta tests for other Blizzard Entertainment games, the testing process for Diablo III will occur in phases. In addition to selecting players who have opted in via their Battle.net accounts, we’ll also be providing keys through beta promotions and giveaways -- stay tuned for more info.
Unofficial word around the traps on a few sites is that the closed beta allows play of the five classes, a fully-functional portion of the Act I experience including facing off against the Skeleton King.

Check out the official post on the Diablo 3 blog for more. promoted/edited forum item

Thundercracker
Posted 08:40am 21/9/11
*sacrifices another pony*
DM
Posted 08:42am 21/9/11
Yay yet another beta I won't get into. Only reas I got into cataclysm one was that I won a competition internode was having at the time. 1st time that's ever happened too. I would sell my soul to get into this one however.
Hogfather
Posted 08:46am 21/9/11
Something MUST be wrong, I can't find any new games in my bnet account :(
DM
Posted 08:47am 21/9/11
Anyone who gets a beta invite to this here, I will wish aids on you.
Enska
Posted 08:49am 21/9/11
aww yeah. I got into the last 2 WoW betas so hoping my luck continues :D
kr0wb4r
Posted 08:55am 21/9/11
WTB INVITE!

Who's ass can i kiss?
Crakaveli
Posted 09:15am 21/9/11
I didn't get an invite :(. I bet they are just bitter i cancelled my account.
Hogfather
Posted 09:17am 21/9/11
I didn't get an invite :(. I bet they are just bitter i cancelled my account.

hahah, where is the like button
Python
Posted 09:20am 21/9/11
I don't even have a battle.net account :O

Hogfather
Posted 09:21am 21/9/11
No beta for you.
paveway
Posted 09:45am 21/9/11
so is anyone with a battlenet account in the running for it?
Thundercracker
Posted 09:57am 21/9/11
gotta have updated system specs and a battle net account with at least 1 product attached (iirc)

you also have to tick the boxes to opt into betas
Hogfather
Posted 09:59am 21/9/11

Do they need to be fresh stats? Shit haven't done mine in a year or so ><#(*^

Also Khel: I was right mother fucker! Its a playable beta.
paveway
Posted 09:59am 21/9/11
king of hope you miss out hoggy, just for the jelly lols
Hogfather
Posted 10:01am 21/9/11
No offense paveway, but you're a bit of a prick.
d^
Posted 10:15am 21/9/11
No invite for me. Ausgamers hit us up!
Hogfather
Posted 10:16am 21/9/11
No invite for me. Ausgamers hit us up!

25 words or less!
Thundercracker
Posted 10:43am 21/9/11
Do they need to be fresh stats? Shit haven't done mine in a year or so ><#(*^

they updated the spec program to grab even more info about your PC (such as bandwidth), but its not clear if you have to run it to make sure you are eligible for new betas
greazy
Posted 10:51am 21/9/11
Haha paveway, there's a good chance trog will give hogfather a beta invite
Posted 10:54am 21/9/11
Also Khel: I was right mother fucker! Its a playable beta.

Haha, I was wondering when this was going to come up, I wasn't going to say anything and hope you had forgotten :P
kr0wb4r
Posted 11:12am 21/9/11
You can finish the beta in under 2 hrs as it is right now, I watched this guy play it through so less upset about not getting an invite now.

Tim Tibbetts
Posted 11:27am 21/9/11
Blizzard clearly doesn't like Australians as I'm not in!! SHEESH!
defi
Posted 11:28am 21/9/11
I have every product of theres linked to my account :( No Invite for me
paveway
Posted 12:35pm 21/9/11
what were you expecting krowbar?

2 hours seems pretty good to me
deface
Posted 01:24pm 21/9/11
2 hours a piece times 5 classes is 10 hours... sounds damn fine to me
bonnici
Posted 01:27pm 21/9/11
It's not the full Act 1, only about 1/3 to 1/2 of it.
Hogfather
Posted 01:52pm 21/9/11
It's not the full Act 1, only about 1/3 to 1/2 of it.

Thanks for the update bonnici, have edited the OP!
DeadlyDav0
Posted 01:59pm 21/9/11
So did anybody get an invite? I reckon sites will start giving away beta keys shortly but at the moment, only a lucky few were selected.
Thundercracker
Posted 02:13pm 21/9/11

It looks like the only people who got in so far are fansites/media. I don't think any randoms were picked.
Superform
Posted 05:29pm 21/9/11
i dare say this is for yanks only
csirac
Posted 05:36pm 21/9/11
Blizzard has said it is open to anyone in the region. So we would be eligible for the US beta.

That said, from all accounts they've only released the press invites thus far and no private citizens have received their invites.

A blue post (blizzard post) was made after the beta announcement that they will be staggering the invites relative to server load. So dont go sacrificing animals just yet :P

I've seriously watched so many vods it feels like I've played the beta 5x over. Still want it though!
ravn0s
Posted 05:40pm 21/9/11
no invite here
Sc00bs
Posted 05:40pm 21/9/11
looks nice, cant wait for this :D
DM
Posted 05:47pm 21/9/11
I was 100% set on being a witch doctor, no questions asked. Now I'm stuck between Monk and WD because from the videos i've seen they both look awesome as hell but monk seems stronger. GYAH. Blizzard y u create such awesome classes?
Crakaveli
Posted 06:21pm 21/9/11

That's great news.

I've also watched so many videos on the beta that i feel like i've played it already, but i'm still so excited that i might get to actually play.
Jimbo
Posted 07:13pm 21/9/11
yea well... in 3 months time we will be staring down the barrel at a release date
konstie
Posted 08:29pm 21/9/11

In order to opt in for our beta tests, you must create a beta profile containing your system specifications. To create one, please download and run the beta opt-in application below. The copy of the beta opt-in application you download will create a beta profile containing your system specifications for this particular Battle.net account only.

Thundercracker
Posted 08:59pm 21/9/11
I probably should have been more clear with my statement.

They have actually changed the beta profile application and now it gathers more information.

If you ran the old beta profile application (say, back when the starcraft 2 beta was on) and uploaded your system information, it's not clear if you have to now run the new one to be eligible.

I would recommend it either way.
Tim Tibbetts
Posted 10:03pm 21/9/11
Did Ausgamers get an invite? It would be good to get some local impressions - particularly around the latency side of things.
Zylox
Posted 10:12pm 21/9/11
I read somewhere last night that some ex Blizzard dude that is developing Torchlight 2 said that there's no way that D3 will be released this year. I hope he's wrong.
DM
Posted 10:21pm 21/9/11
Well T2 doesn't have a release date either. Also blizzard are pretty good when it comes to getting their games out on time. I would hope it would be a december release date and at latest feb but who knows.

What I really want to know is what the latency is like on telstra internet. I want to play this online so much but telstra may have osmething to say about it since they suck.
Tim Tibbetts
Posted 11:52am 22/9/11
Given the beta is out already, I think there's a good chance it will be out before the end of the year as typically their Betas would run for 2-3 months. It will be close though.
DM
Posted 12:13pm 22/9/11
Oh and with the beta only being about 2 hours long, which is usually short for a blizzard beta, it would speed up the process so maybe their beta may not run even that long.

last edited by DM at 12:13:47 22/Sep/11
Hogfather
Posted 12:47pm 22/9/11

This is true, and keep in mind that with PVP being toned right down the balancing isn't as tight, so long as everyone can blow up hordes of monsters she's a winner, there won't be a verylong period of balancing and data collection like for sc2.