Cam Lee Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee has become a fixture here at AusGamers. The Aussie ex-pat took tie out of his Gamescom duties to chat with us again. Check it out!
couch slayer
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition is now upon us, but it might as well be called "definitive edition". Read our review to find out why - click here!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by trog @ 01:33pm 12/07/11 | 11 Comments
The StarCraft 2 blog carries word a new feature is coming soon to Battle.net - region linking:
Region linking will benefit players in the connected regions in a number of ways. First and foremost, a linked community means a larger pool of players to improve our automated matchmaker. Whether you're an elite Grandmaster or a Bronze-league all-star, more players in the mix means that we'll be able to find you a matchup more quickly and more accurately. Players will also get access to a broader range of custom map games, which in turn means wider audiences for mapmakers. Those of you who have friends in the linked region will also be able to add them to your Battle.net friends lists once the region linking is complete.
The post also carries a FAQ with some more information, although nothing about Australia is mentioned specifically.

trog
Posted 01:35pm 12/7/11
If someone who is neck-deep in SC2 can explain what this means for Aussies I'll update the OP!!
skythra
Posted 01:38pm 12/7/11
Hopefully, less wait times, and not having to play a gold game player when you're bronze.

Pings are meaningless as all the servers are still 200+ms
Seven
Posted 01:47pm 12/7/11

I bought SC2 from the UK, thinking I could still play on South East Asia (SEA) servers. I can't. So when I want to play (e.g. now), it's 5:30 am and no one is online in Europe. So instead of waiting 3 minutes for the servers to find me players, it takes 60 minutes.

Region linking will find me players from everywhere, and as skythra said, hopefully players with a similar ranking so it's more fun and you don't consistently demolish them or vice versa. This is VERY welcome!

Oh, nevermind, I'm still forced to play on the s***** European servers. It's only linking north america and latin america. A*******s. Nevermind that I request that I freaking be switched servers because I'm in Aus and can't find a damned game.
Tim Tibbetts
Posted 01:54pm 12/7/11
The only thing this means to AUS players is that when we jump onto the US server (as we have had that option for a while now) we may be matched against people in North America and Latin America.
Hogfather
Posted 01:57pm 12/7/11
Don't get excited:
In conjunction with the start of Season 3, we’ll be linking the European and Russian StarCraft II communities together; North America and Latin America will also be linked together, as will Korea and Taiwan.

...

All players in the linked regions will be connecting and playing through the same data centers that they were using prior to region linking, which is the main reason why linking these regions together is fairly straightforward. There should be no impact on game performance.

Looks like SEA will be a backwater still, only links to itself.

GG Blizzard
Axol
Posted 01:58pm 12/7/11
In short,

For aussies who play on the NA server, you'll get to play against latin america as well now.
For aussies who play on sea, no change what so ever at this stage.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 02:41pm 12/7/11
That sucks, I was hoping this was more referring to the US made map content being made available to SEA.

That's all I gave a s*** about when it came to region bsns in SCII
Llian
Posted 02:41pm 12/7/11
How about they 'region link' for pricing as well?
Hogfather
Posted 02:42pm 12/7/11
Yeh the SEA maps are balls, they need to link those map libraries at least.
d^
Posted 02:51pm 12/7/11
Hmm well, I bought the NA version of the game, I don't have access to SEA. I'm wondering if I have to get the expansion as NA or SEA? My mate who owns the SEA version has access to both, whereas I do not.
skythra
Posted 03:42pm 12/7/11
Lol all these people who bought versions from overseas despite the long and well published warnings on how sea was going to work with USW etc.