Sony's new NGP portable gaming console finally has a name: PlayStation Vita. Fresh from the E3 press release
PS Vita incorporates a beautiful 5-inch multi-touch organic light emitting diode (OLED) as the front display and a unique multi-touch pad on the rear. Together with the front touchscreen and the rear touch pad, PS Vita offers new gameplay possibilities, allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" finger motions. In addition, PS Vita features dual analog sticks which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.
For those that just want the feature list, here you go:
Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting diode (OLED) front display
• Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
• Dual analog sticks
• Front and rear facing cameras
• A new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for PS Vita software titles
• Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass.
• Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
• PlayStation®Network access, including “LiveArea™” (a space for sharing with others), “near” (lets users identify what friends in the vicinity are or were recently playing), “Party” (enables users to enjoy voice chat or text chat not only during online gaming, but also when they are playing different games or using different applications such as the internet browser), and “Activity” (it logs the latest accomplishments from people playing the same games)
• Full PlayStation® Trophy Support
• Able to play PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) titles, minis and video from PlayStation®Store
So far the only known game titles are Uncharted Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet and a game with the working title of Ruin.
Interestingly no mention of 3D at all - despite a press conference that was very big on the 3D - so they seem content to let Nintendo have keep all the 3D handheld cookies for now. You can check out a bunch of photos of the device in the official PR