to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Dan @ 10:53am 14/04/11 | 14 Comments
We've known for some time that Valve's hotly anticipated first person puzzler Portal 2 would be the first foothold for bringing their Steam service to the PlayStation 3. But today, the much-loved studio has sent along a new press release, detailing the full extent to which they'll be rocking the platform come April 21st.

Key highlights include:
  • cross-platform gameplay, matchmaking, friends, chat, and achievements
  • Steam Cloud saved game support for both co-op and singleplayer games (but PS3 saves aren't compatible with PC/Mac).
  • Steam overlay gives access to both PSN and Steam friends lists and navigation or text chats, player profiles, friend requests and game invites.
  • Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.
  • This functionality is activated by linking your PSN account with your Steam account through an in-game interface.
  • Linking a PS3 version to your Steam account permits you to access and play the game from a PC or Mac and is done by redeeming an in-box code on your computer which will then list Portal 2 among your PC/Mac Steam games.
So basically, if you're buying a boxed copy of the game and you own both a PS3 and a PC/Mac, it's a no-brainer to pick up the PS3 version.

That said, Valve don't practise regional price variations with their own online-purchased products. So if you only want it for PC/Mac and don't care for a box, you'll no doubt be able to pick up the game significantly cheaper directly from Steam.

Xbox 360 users unfortunately only have the brick-and-motor option for now, as Microsoft remain unaccommodating for Steam functionality on their platform.

Dependent on no further Valve-time anomalies, Portal 2 is due to launch on PC, Mac, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on April 21st 2011.

Buy now from Green Man Gaming for only GBP£17.97 (USD$19.99 on Steam)!

Any
Posted 10:57am 14/4/11
typo in subject?
Dan
Posted 11:00am 14/4/11
I don't know what you're talking about ;)

cheers.
teq
Posted 11:07am 14/4/11

confirmation - this is what I was after

MAD PROPS VALVE

definitely worth the $50 now, I can definitely import PS3 games and they will work here - yeah?

Portal 2
(For PlayStation3™, Asia, No Region Protection) 2 AUD ~96.28 pre
Shipping weight: 0.32 kg Total US$ 99.80 (~96.28 AUD)

woot
blaze0041
Posted 11:06am 14/4/11
Someone in an earlier thread pointed out a Steam Support page regarding Portal 2 & PS3, providing more information:

It should be noted that PC/Mac and PS3 saves, while both able to be saved to the cloud, are not compatible with each other at this stage. Also, "Steam Cloud data from a PlayStation®3 can only be used with another PlayStation®3 logged in to the same PSN ID."

Syncing game saves is free, since it is using Steam Cloud (i.e. you don't have to a PS+ subscriber). "Choosing to sync more saves may result in longer download and sync times for your save data when starting the game on another PlayStation®3."

The pre-order skins, such as the one from owning or buying all games in the Potato Sack: "unlocked on your PlayStation®3 will also be available in Windows and Mac, and vice-versa."

"Each new copy of Portal 2 on PlayStation®3 includes a one-time use code allowing you access to the game on Windows or Mac through Steam. Each code is unique and non-transferrable, and can only be registered to a single Steam account. The PlayStation®3 game disc for Portal 2 cannot be used to install the game in Windows or OSX. Instead, your computer will download the correct version of the game through Steam."
Any
Posted 11:31am 14/4/11
Not quite sure why you'd buy the ps3 version if you have a pc unless you can get said ps3 version for < $40 (pc steam price if going in with someone on the 2 for $80 deal)
Can you get ps3 version cheaper than that?
teq
Posted 11:33am 14/4/11

it's quite simple

buy PC version, play only on PC
buy PS3 version, play on PC & PS3

I can't exactly play my PS3 version at work now, can I?
I don't have a PC at home, so I would only be able to play the PS3 version
deadlyf
Posted 11:35am 14/4/11
Haha, teq rushing out to give more money to Sony, way to stick to your guns of indignation!
blaze0041
Posted 11:44am 14/4/11
(RRP appears to be at the AU$110 mark for consoles, and around AU$90 for PC)
JB Hi-Fi has Portal 2 for AU$79 for PS3 and Xbox 360, and AU$69 for PC.
ravn0s
Posted 11:47am 14/4/11
I can definitely import PS3 games and they will work here - yeah?

all ps3 games are region free
Enska
Posted 11:51am 14/4/11
^^

http://www.ozgameshop.com here I come, yew.
Posted 12:46pm 14/4/11
I can't exactly play my PS3 version at work now, can I?
I don't have a PC at home, so I would only be able to play the PS3 version

Game saves aren't compatible between the two platforms though.

I don't really see the point of it, it strikes me as a game that will be kinda shit on PS3, when I remember some of the precision and quick flick style shots I had to do in Portal 1, I cringe at the thought of trying to do that on a gamepad. I own a PS3 and a PC, but theres no point getting the PS3 version and paying more for something I'm never going to play, when I can pick up the PC version for $40.
Eorl
Posted 12:49pm 14/4/11
Yeah, ozgameshop has PS3 version at $61.99. Though if your buying it for just PC, just get it on Steam. It's $50US and can have it pre-loaded before release.
Posted 12:53pm 14/4/11
Its $40 if you go in with a mate and get the 2 pack (on steam that is)
teq
Posted 12:55pm 14/4/11
I doubt sony would be making much money off my purchase of a valve game
especially since it's only $48 at play-asia, the same price as the valve store