advanced warning: fun
AusGamers was given a chance to not only get hands-on with a portion of the multiplayer from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, but to also chat with Sledgehammer's Michael Condrey!
couch slayer
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition is now upon us, but it might as well be called "definitive edition". Read our review to find out why - click here!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by Dan @ 10:53am 14/04/11 | 14 Comments
We've known for some time that Valve's hotly anticipated first person puzzler Portal 2 would be the first foothold for bringing their Steam service to the PlayStation 3. But today, the much-loved studio has sent along a new press release, detailing the full extent to which they'll be rocking the platform come April 21st.

Key highlights include:
  • cross-platform gameplay, matchmaking, friends, chat, and achievements
  • Steam Cloud saved game support for both co-op and singleplayer games (but PS3 saves aren't compatible with PC/Mac).
  • Steam overlay gives access to both PSN and Steam friends lists and navigation or text chats, player profiles, friend requests and game invites.
  • Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.
  • This functionality is activated by linking your PSN account with your Steam account through an in-game interface.
  • Linking a PS3 version to your Steam account permits you to access and play the game from a PC or Mac and is done by redeeming an in-box code on your computer which will then list Portal 2 among your PC/Mac Steam games.
So basically, if you're buying a boxed copy of the game and you own both a PS3 and a PC/Mac, it's a no-brainer to pick up the PS3 version.

That said, Valve don't practise regional price variations with their own online-purchased products. So if you only want it for PC/Mac and don't care for a box, you'll no doubt be able to pick up the game significantly cheaper directly from Steam.

Xbox 360 users unfortunately only have the brick-and-motor option for now, as Microsoft remain unaccommodating for Steam functionality on their platform.

Dependent on no further Valve-time anomalies, Portal 2 is due to launch on PC, Mac, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on April 21st 2011.

Buy now from Green Man Gaming for only GBP£19.99 (USD$19.99 on Steam)!

Any
Posted 10:57am 14/4/11
typo in subject?
Dan
Posted 11:00am 14/4/11
I don't know what you're talking about ;)

cheers.
teq
Posted 11:07am 14/4/11

confirmation - this is what I was after

MAD PROPS VALVE

definitely worth the $50 now, I can definitely import PS3 games and they will work here - yeah?

Portal 2
(For PlayStation3™, Asia, No Region Protection) 2 AUD ~96.28 pre
Shipping weight: 0.32 kg Total US$ 99.80 (~96.28 AUD)

woot
blaze0041
Posted 11:06am 14/4/11
Someone in an earlier thread pointed out a Steam Support page regarding Portal 2 & PS3, providing more information:

It should be noted that PC/Mac and PS3 saves, while both able to be saved to the cloud, are not compatible with each other at this stage. Also, "Steam Cloud data from a PlayStation®3 can only be used with another PlayStation®3 logged in to the same PSN ID."

Syncing game saves is free, since it is using Steam Cloud (i.e. you don't have to a PS+ subscriber). "Choosing to sync more saves may result in longer download and sync times for your save data when starting the game on another PlayStation®3."

The pre-order skins, such as the one from owning or buying all games in the Potato Sack: "unlocked on your PlayStation®3 will also be available in Windows and Mac, and vice-versa."

"Each new copy of Portal 2 on PlayStation®3 includes a one-time use code allowing you access to the game on Windows or Mac through Steam. Each code is unique and non-transferrable, and can only be registered to a single Steam account. The PlayStation®3 game disc for Portal 2 cannot be used to install the game in Windows or OSX. Instead, your computer will download the correct version of the game through Steam."
Any
Posted 11:31am 14/4/11
Not quite sure why you'd buy the ps3 version if you have a pc unless you can get said ps3 version for < $40 (pc steam price if going in with someone on the 2 for $80 deal)
Can you get ps3 version cheaper than that?
teq
Posted 11:33am 14/4/11

it's quite simple

buy PC version, play only on PC
buy PS3 version, play on PC & PS3

I can't exactly play my PS3 version at work now, can I?
I don't have a PC at home, so I would only be able to play the PS3 version
deadlyf
Posted 11:35am 14/4/11
Haha, teq rushing out to give more money to Sony, way to stick to your guns of indignation!
blaze0041
Posted 11:44am 14/4/11
(RRP appears to be at the AU$110 mark for consoles, and around AU$90 for PC)
JB Hi-Fi has Portal 2 for AU$79 for PS3 and Xbox 360, and AU$69 for PC.
ravn0s
Posted 11:47am 14/4/11
I can definitely import PS3 games and they will work here - yeah?

all ps3 games are region free
Enska
Posted 11:51am 14/4/11
^^

http://www.ozgameshop.com here I come, yew.
Posted 12:46pm 14/4/11
I can't exactly play my PS3 version at work now, can I?
I don't have a PC at home, so I would only be able to play the PS3 version

Game saves aren't compatible between the two platforms though.

I don't really see the point of it, it strikes me as a game that will be kinda s*** on PS3, when I remember some of the precision and quick flick style shots I had to do in Portal 1, I cringe at the thought of trying to do that on a gamepad. I own a PS3 and a PC, but theres no point getting the PS3 version and paying more for something I'm never going to play, when I can pick up the PC version for $40.
Eorl
Posted 12:49pm 14/4/11
Yeah, ozgameshop has PS3 version at $61.99. Though if your buying it for just PC, just get it on Steam. It's $50US and can have it pre-loaded before release.
Posted 12:53pm 14/4/11
Its $40 if you go in with a mate and get the 2 pack (on steam that is)
teq
Posted 12:55pm 14/4/11
I doubt sony would be making much money off my purchase of a valve game
especially since it's only $48 at play-asia, the same price as the valve store