As cheesy as they were, the Mortal Kombat films are still heralded among the best video-game to movie adaptations. But even though the popularity of the games has burned down to a dull flicker, it looks like there's still a few people out there who want to have another crack at bringing the great tournament back to the big screen.
A new live-action short found it's way online today and given the timing, many blogs assumed it was a teaser promo for an upcoming game. It has since been all but officially confirmed however, that the clip is actually a test-short intended to sell the idea of a "Hard-R" rated Mortal Kombat flick to Warner Bros.
According to movie-blog Latino Review
- The short was directed by Kevin Tancharoen, who did the remake of Fame last year. Judging from this short, Kevin is the perfect director for this movie.
- Jacks is played by Michael Jai White. Michael played Spawn and was in Undisputed II. Michael makes a great Jacks (Jax).
- Sonya Blade is played by Jeri Ryan, who played Seven of Nine in Star Trek: Voyager.
- Baraka was played by the very talented Lateef Crowder, who plays the Brazilian fighter in Undisputed III.
- Scorpion is played by Ian Anthony Dale. Ian plays Kazuya in the upcoming big screen version of Tekken.
- Johnny Cage was played by up and coming martial arts sensation Matt Mullins.
- Still working on who played Reptile. Will update when I find out.
- The fight choreography was done by Larnell Stovall. Larnell did the fight choreography for Undisputed III and is one of the best fight choreographers in the business. You want to see the fights you deserve? Then you fans should DEMAND he be the guy in one charge for this reboot.
The short is cheesy as ever, but if there's one thing that could have instantly improved the original MK movies, it's more gore and a proper adult rating.
Check out the short below or hit up our files library for the HD 720p