Following the release of Bethesda and Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas debut trailer
, new gameplay details have emerged which we've listed for you in point form below.
- Contrary to Fallout 3 veteran hope, you won't be carrying over your Vault 101 character, but will be instead filling the shoes of a courier who was buried in the desert and revived from an ex-Vault doctor who will give you a Pip-boy (meaning, presumably, your character is the one in the trailer).
- The game is set in the Mojave desert and will chronicle the struggle between three warring factions; The California Republic, Caesar's Legion and New Vegas residents.
- A 'Hardcore' gameplay mode will be introduced that will have you battling dehydration, ammo weight, slower healing (so no immediate use of Stimpaks while in the thick of it) and tougher enemies.
- Super Mutants are back and this time they're smarter, more varied and even have a few new mutated friends.
- VATS returns, but will allow for more melee stuff in line with the original series' humour, such as smashing an enemy in the groin with a gold club.
- On top of your Karma system you'll also find a Reputation system that works individually with each settlement you encounter.
- Failing an alternate conversation path if your conversation skill in any particular area is low won't be an immediate fail; instead it will reap some kind of witticism or verbal slap in the face, again more in line with the original games.
- Finally, you'll recruit followers once again (ala any one of the companions you had in Fallout 3), only now you'll be able to issue basic commands such as "follow", "attack" or "stay". Apparently an example was shown in the form of a Ghoul you rescue from a Super Mutant beatdown.
That's pretty much all we could gleam from scouring the interwebs, but it's all sounding pretty cool. It could be good starting from scratch, though I really would have preferred to bring my guy from Fallout 3 across and have heaps of cross-reference stuff to deal with based exclusively on hardcore decisions I made in F3, but that might be too ambitious a dream at the moment.