The bundle pack will include the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system with 500GB hard disk drive (HDD) and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 4). The limited edition PS4 features a special DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING design which showcases a map of the cosmos in silver with the Guardian’s crest set in gold. The bundle includes the DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING – LEGENDARY EDITION software title for PS4™. Also included is an upgrade to the Digital Collector’s Edition, which includes three exotic Guardian class items with XP bonuses, three class specific emotes, three armour shaders and an early access weapons pack. The bundle will be available for a limited time at selected retailers.
Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves marks the second official expansion to the Destiny universe that adds a wealth of new weapons, armour and gear to earn in new story missions and quests, three new competitive multiplayer maps and a new co-op Strike. In addition, the expansion welcomes new activities to Destiny with the introduction a brand-new competitive multiplayer event in the Crucible called Trials of Osiris, and a brand new co-op arena activity called the Prison of Elders.If you're playing, how keen are you on this? If you've dropped off, can you see this bringing you back?
“We continue to be humbled by the Destiny community, and remain fully committed to creating the best experience we can for the fans,” said Pete Parsons, COO of Bungie. “That means we’re listening every day to real-time feedback from the players. In the eight months since launch, we’ve supported the game with 17 updates that we believe have grown and improved the universe. House of Wolves is no different. For example, we’ve engineered a new upgrade path for your existing Exotic and Legendary gear, and we’re revamping our PvP system with a new rewards system and new PvP event called Trials of Osiris. We’re excited to see the response.”
Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves features the following:
- New Co-op Arena Activity – Set in the Prison of Elders, teams of three players can take on waves of increasingly difficult enemies to earn high-level legendary and exotic rewards.
- New Competitive Multiplayer Event – The Trials of Osiris is a brand new, weekly 3v3 elimination event where power levels matter.
- New Loot and Customizations – Earn new weapons, armor, and gear, including Legendary, Exotic, Faction and Fallen-themed items.
- Level Increase – Raise your Light Level to 34, including the introduction of gear ascension to increase the maximum level of previously earned Legendary and Exotic weapons and armor.
- New Story Missions and Quests – Take on new adventures through new missions and quests featuring Petra Venj of the Queensguard and Variks, a Fallen loyal to the Queen.
- New Social Space – Visit a brand new space in The Reef, set within the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, with new vendors offering unique rewards, new bounties and more.
- New Strike: The Shadow Thief – Journey to the Moon and hunt down a notoriously cutthroat Fallen mercenary named Taniks.
New Competitive Multiplayer Maps:
- Black Shield – a decommissioned Firebase is believed to have been a key defensive position used by the Cabal when they established their warbase on Mars
- Thieves’ Den – a Fallen hideout located in the calderas of Venus with precarious drops that offer alternate routes for those willing to risk the fall
- Widow’s Court – an asymmetrical map with both long sightlines and tight interiors, set in the European Dead Zone on Earth
- PlayStation® Exclusive Content* – PlayStation® gamers will also get access to a fourth competitive multiplayer map, Timekeeper, which is set within a mysterious clockwork-like structure on Mars built by the Vex. *Timed exclusive until at least Fall 2015
Players can purchase Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves** individually ($24.95), or as part of the Destiny Expansion Pass** ($39.95), which includes both Expansion I and Expansion II, on PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. **Destiny game required to play, sold separately.
Expand your Destiny adventure with a wealth of weapons, armor, and gear to earn in new story missions, three new competitive multiplayer maps, and a new cooperative Strike. Expansion II introduces a new competitive elimination mode in the Crucible and an all-new arena activity – The Prison of Elders. The Reef is open. Join the Awoken and hunt down the Fallen rising against us.Watch the full cinematic trailer below, and let us know if you're still playing the game, and if so, what its current state is like.
AusGamers: It’s common for MMO developers to worry about the concept of obsolescence -- the World of Warcraft developers have often pushed back the concept of yearly expansion packs due to the fact that people might feel… like they’re wasted their time if a new level cap comes in 12-months after the old one. You guys have changed the level cap three months after launch, what are you guys doing to combat that potential feeling of obsolescence?Click here for the full interview with Bungie's DeeJ.
DeeJ: Like I said, any of the players of this game are welcome to invest in these new opportunities to develop, so I think that obsolescence comes from sitting still. And by and large, the players of Destiny told us they want more content; that they want new ways to build their Guardian; that they want new challenges to tackle. So we’re here to provide them with that.
An MMO typically follows a subscription model where the concern is that every single player you have in your player-base is someone that you need playing the game constantly enough to opt-in with a monthly fee. With Destiny we are providing a console gaming experience, and our goal is to make that experience deeply meaningful to the people who decide to play. And to give them more reasons to come back to that experience time and time again. So even if a player takes a break to play another game that they can spin in their tray for a few weeks, we’re hoping that The Dark Below is an invitation for them to come back and check out what’s new.
Obviously we don’t want to make any player feel like they’re obsolete; we don’t want to make any player feel that the time they’ve invested in our game is a waste.
Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below features the following:We'll have our own review coverage of the new content up a bit down the track (you can't rush these things), as well an interview we conducted with Bungie's DeeJ a bit later today in celebration of the expansion's release.
- New Loot – Earn new weapons, armour, and gear, including new Legendary and Exotic items.
- Level Increase – Raise your Light Level to 32
- New Story Missions and Quests – Journey through new Hive-themed story missions and quests where you are tasked with stopping the resurrection of an ancient god, Crota
- New cooperative Strike – The Will of Crota, pits you and your Fireteam against Omnigul as she works to expand the Hive army at the command of her master, Crota
- New six-player Raid – Assemble your six-player Fireteam to attempt Crota’s End, set deep within the depths of the Hellmouth with all-new gameplay mechanics and enemy bosses
- New competitive multiplayer arenas:
- Pantheon – Set in an ancient Vex temple inside the Black Garden that features Vex-designed landscapes and tight corridors
- Skyshock – An old interplanetary defense array that offers engagements for both vehicle and infantry
- The Cauldron – An abandoned Hive ritual site that offers close-quarter combat
- New EV-30 Tumbler Sparrow – Players that purchase and redeem the Destiny Expansion Pass or Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below by January 15, 2015 will receive the EV-30 Tumbler Sparrow, enabling its riders to drive fast, take flight, and perform a set of mid-air tricks
- PlayStation® Exclusive Content* – PlayStation® players will also get access to an exclusive cooperative Strike, The Undying Mind, and exclusive exotic weapon, The 4th Horseman shotgun.