AusGamers: It’s common for MMO developers to worry about the concept of obsolescence -- the World of Warcraft developers have often pushed back the concept of yearly expansion packs due to the fact that people might feel… like they’re wasted their time if a new level cap comes in 12-months after the old one. You guys have changed the level cap three months after launch, what are you guys doing to combat that potential feeling of obsolescence?Click here for the full interview with Bungie's DeeJ.
DeeJ: Like I said, any of the players of this game are welcome to invest in these new opportunities to develop, so I think that obsolescence comes from sitting still. And by and large, the players of Destiny told us they want more content; that they want new ways to build their Guardian; that they want new challenges to tackle. So we’re here to provide them with that.
An MMO typically follows a subscription model where the concern is that every single player you have in your player-base is someone that you need playing the game constantly enough to opt-in with a monthly fee. With Destiny we are providing a console gaming experience, and our goal is to make that experience deeply meaningful to the people who decide to play. And to give them more reasons to come back to that experience time and time again. So even if a player takes a break to play another game that they can spin in their tray for a few weeks, we’re hoping that The Dark Below is an invitation for them to come back and check out what’s new.
Obviously we don’t want to make any player feel like they’re obsolete; we don’t want to make any player feel that the time they’ve invested in our game is a waste.
Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below features the following:We'll have our own review coverage of the new content up a bit down the track (you can't rush these things), as well an interview we conducted with Bungie's DeeJ a bit later today in celebration of the expansion's release.
- New Loot – Earn new weapons, armour, and gear, including new Legendary and Exotic items.
- Level Increase – Raise your Light Level to 32
- New Story Missions and Quests – Journey through new Hive-themed story missions and quests where you are tasked with stopping the resurrection of an ancient god, Crota
- New cooperative Strike – The Will of Crota, pits you and your Fireteam against Omnigul as she works to expand the Hive army at the command of her master, Crota
- New six-player Raid – Assemble your six-player Fireteam to attempt Crota’s End, set deep within the depths of the Hellmouth with all-new gameplay mechanics and enemy bosses
- New competitive multiplayer arenas:
- Pantheon – Set in an ancient Vex temple inside the Black Garden that features Vex-designed landscapes and tight corridors
- Skyshock – An old interplanetary defense array that offers engagements for both vehicle and infantry
- The Cauldron – An abandoned Hive ritual site that offers close-quarter combat
- New EV-30 Tumbler Sparrow – Players that purchase and redeem the Destiny Expansion Pass or Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below by January 15, 2015 will receive the EV-30 Tumbler Sparrow, enabling its riders to drive fast, take flight, and perform a set of mid-air tricks
- PlayStation® Exclusive Content* – PlayStation® players will also get access to an exclusive cooperative Strike, The Undying Mind, and exclusive exotic weapon, The 4th Horseman shotgun.
Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below will feature the following:The new content will be available in Australia from December 10 according to the press release and will set you back AUD$24.95 on its own or you can opt for the expansion pass which will include the next expansion for AUD$39.95.
- New weapons, armour, and gear to earn, including Legendary and Exotic items
- Light Level cap raised to 32 and five additional Bounty slots added
- New story quests and missions – after years hiding amongst the Hive shadows, a new character, Eris, has come forth bearing an ominous warning: The Hive seek to summon a god, Crota, to destroy the Earth. Find Eris in the Tower to take on special quests that include three new missions where you will increase your Light and earn new rewards
- New cooperative Strike, The Will of Crota, pits you and your Fireteam against Omnigul as she works to expand the Hive army at the command of her master, Crota
- Three new competitive multiplayer arenas:
- Pantheon – set deep within the Black Garden in an ancient Vex temple that features Vex-designed landscapes and tight corridors
- Skyshock – an old interplanetary defence array that offers both vehicle and infantry engagements
- The Cauldron – an abandoned Hive ritual site that offers close-quarter combat
- New six-player Raid, Crota’s End, set deep within the depths of the Hellmouth
- PlayStation platforms will also get access to an exclusive cooperative Strike, The Undying Mind, and more (timed exclusive until at least Fall 2015)
- Madden NFL 15
- FIFA 15
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
- NHL 15
- The Sims 4
- Disney Infinity 2.0
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls