AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
A career in games design for a girl?
Nad
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
I'm currently completing my final year of high school before I set of to university and it has put it in a bit of tussle.
I keep telling myself not to settle for anything that I'm not passionate about just because of the money, however the main career choice that pops up is Game Design (as I'm sure it is for every gamer) and from what I've heard, it's a lost career.

My plan is to start with say Bachelor of Arts Games and Interactivity at Swinburne University while working part time at an EB games store, Go for my masters, work, Go for a course in journalism so I can hopefully also write for games and so on.

Sounds great, but it sounds like Australia really limits opportunities for jobs and I've also heard that some employers are much more questionable when it comes to females in the Gaming Industry (Not that I take offence, I'm no feminist)

I guess my overall question is, if I do stay passionate and really push for it what are the possibilities of making it successful, and if the answer is extremely low, any other suggestions for a career path?

(I've also thought of studying philosophy, again a dead career path, a career in nano tech or other neuroscience related careers and I've also looked at other journalism paths)
02:29am 05/05/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
02:29am 05/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5836 posts
In before influx.

Honestly, I think you should go for something you're happy to spend your life doing. Working just for the money will mean you end up hating your job and life will follow. You might not get the best pay, but if Game Design is something you see yourself enjoying, then go for it.

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was in High School, kind of fell into my current role and ended up loving it. Go after what you want now, worry about the other stuff later, if at all.
03:03am 05/05/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
11864 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: inappropriate / banned
05:37am 05/05/12 Permalink
Pharcyde
Kilos
Brisbane, Queensland
5090 posts
I wouldn't bother working at EB games. I worked there for a couple of years; it's a shitty retail job just like any other.
06:02am 05/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9062 posts
You're right that your job prospects for game design are poor. Game companies in Australia are unfortunately closing more than they are opening, afaik.

I think you would be better off getting the journalism degree first and writing about games. Something else you could do is learn web design and start your own girly game review site. That may be an untapped market in Australia and would be good for your resume.
09:07am 05/05/12 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
685 posts
If the vagina / penis ratio is as bad as engineering I'd say you would have a distinct advantage. There is a surprisingly large number of female engineers at my work which just does not add up to the ratio that was at uni. Thus females have a higher advantage in male dominated large companies.

May be different in IT/game design
09:08am 05/05/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16681 posts
you must be making up for our total lack of females at all DK

we have 1 now, kind of hawt older filo bird

that is all :\
09:11am 05/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9566 posts
So true the ratio of girls in IT employment is higher than it was at uni or anywhere else in reality.
10:07am 05/05/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2224 posts
you ability to use a computer is not effected by the presence of a penis/vagina in your pants. unless it is not yours.
11:56am 05/05/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18976 posts
Don't see why you'd have more trouble getting hired as a girl, but game designer jobs are pretty hard to land even at the best of times since a studio usually doesn't need very many game designers. It can take a lot of artists and programmers to build a game, but usually only a couple of designers.
12:00pm 05/05/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3872 posts
as many others have said, Game design jobs are hard to come by. i remember a while back Microsoft was working with QUT to create courses for Xbox game designers.. might be worth finding out if MS has some sort of graduate program for such things..
12:23pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12390 posts
I guess my overall question is, if I do stay passionate and really push for it what are the possibilities of making it successful, and if the answer is extremely low, any other suggestions for a career path?

Have you designed many games? If not, how do you know if you even like it let alone have a passion for it? Do you come up with game ideas spontaneously and create documentation and high level plans for them?

The reality is that if you are truly "passionate" about making games then you will be making them regardless of whether you have a career path laid out for you that pays the bills. Sure you might have to do 80-90 hour weeks, live at home or share accommodation to pay the bills, but if its a true passion then you'd do it and wouldn't be asking questions?

All over the world people write books, design games, sculpt and paint because its something they enjoy rather than something they need to get paid to do. If their passion is paired with ability then it quickly becomes a valid income stream.

TLDR: Do, or do not. There is no try.
12:44pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
248 posts
There is another thread somewhere about some guy asking along the same lines on these forums, search for it and it probably already has alot of answer you want.
12:46pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3167 posts
Hoggy speaks words of wisdom.
01:17pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11648 posts

I keep telling myself not to settle for anything that I'm not passionate about just because of the money, however the main career choice that pops up is Game Design (as I'm sure it is for every gamer) and from what I've heard, it's a lost career.
My cousin has a passion for game design. He doesn't work professional though. He works as a safe cracker in South Africa. In his spare time he develops and creates games with friends.

You don't have to land a job to have a passion for game design. Plenty of independent developers make it big or at least do quite well for themselves. One that comes to mind is dwarf fortress. The developer for that has a most insane passion for his project. I think his design plan spans over the next 50 years of developing the game. Game is free, people just throw money at him to I think the tune of around $2k-$3k/week. Nothing like the money some projects which take off make, but he has no desire to develop anything else because this particular game is his passion, and if he wasn't making money he would still do it in his free time.
01:52pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: inappropriate / banned
02:00pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5021 posts
DK / Pave, in the company I work for they're trying very hard to be "the employer of choice for women".

It's at the point where they seem to have an advantage in the workplace.
03:57pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6495 posts
I will tell you now, currently the games industry in Australia is pretty slim. We have a rise in smartphone app development as well as an indie scene, however if you believe you will be working for a company as soon as you graduate from uni think again. Currently the market isn't meeting the demand that is being pushed out from universities offering courses in games design, and as such there is just way too many people looking for the next job in Blizzard or Bethesda.

If you are truly serious, complete a degree in games design and also do a double degree in business. It gives you at least one working degree that you can rely on to get somewhere. I'm in my final year of Games Development at QUT and I was intending on switching to Secondary Teaching but was lucky enough to be offered a job here at AusGamers.

If you still want to become a game designer, make games now. Boot up Unity as it's the best free game engine and the most easiest to use. Search through their forums for guides, play around, get to know things. Make up game ideas, develop them into reality. Even if you use other peoples models (there is a number of sites that offer free 3DS Max models), you are still learning and getting the feel of things.

Keep on learning, and you'll do fine!
05:31pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Nad
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
Thankyou for the advice everyone, it really is appreciated. I agree with everyone who has said I should be working on game design now, but with high school I think I should be putting my studies first. And I've taken the advice of looking at different paths that will have a high amount of careers available as well as opportunities to design games.

And referring to the comments about 'how could being a female will affect my ability to use a computer', I've just heard from others who are already working in the gaming industry that occasionally employers are questionable. Was all I had meant to say :)
06:13pm 05/05/12 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1122 posts
Then you said you didn't take offence to that, which confused me somewhat...are you saying discrimination is okay?
06:20pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
3906 posts
If the vagina / penis ratio is as bad as engineering I'd say you would have a distinct advantage.

It's actually kinda sad from my experience because it felt true for me (2d/3d animation / modeling). Girls with way shittier reels would get interviews and jobs much, much easier then the guys. Love the way reverse sexism works.
06:27pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
1742 posts
It's not that you should be working on game design like you put it.
do you play with sdks, build levels, tinker with your own mods in your free time etc etc, or do you just frag away like the majority of people who love to dream about a job in gaming?
06:30pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Nad
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Then you said you didn't take offence to that, which confused me somewhat...are you saying discrimination is okay?

I'm not saying it's okay, it's just I'm not offended. People have said it's due to the threat of feminising games. which as stupid as that may be I guess I wouldn't take an offence if I was denied a job due to that reason.
06:34pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Nad
Melbourne, Victoria
4 posts
It's not that you should be working on game design like you put it.
do you play with sdks, build levels, tinker with your own mods in your free time etc etc, or do you just frag away like the majority of people who love to dream about a job in gaming?

Of course I have played around with those, it would be stupid if I'd choose a career path and have had no experience in the slightest and think 'sounds kewl bro, dat b my nxt carrer'
06:39pm 05/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20589 posts
What sort of work have you done? Always good to see some original stuff. There are some experts here so if you post some they'd be able to give you some honest advice/opinions on what your skill level is.
06:59pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Nad
Melbourne, Victoria
5 posts
What sort of work have you done? Always good to see some original stuff. There are some experts here so if you post some they'd be able to give you some honest advice/opinions on what your skill level is.

Sad to say that nothing I've done has been completely original mainly making my own changes to things other people have done for practice (embarrassing to say). I would like to start doing my own but I only started during the summer holidays in January and since I've been back at school I haven't had the time to create anything large especially because in my spare time I've been filling my folio, which leads into another career path in art and design I could do that can also lead up to game design.
07:18pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6496 posts
That isn't embarrassing at all. The best place to start is with someone's project and deconstruct it then rebuild it. Helps you learn how things operate.
07:29pm 05/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9569 posts
All I can say is that I wanted to work in game development, and I'm glad I didn't because of the state of the industry. It's still something I'd like to do, but just for myself so I can show everyone what I'd like in a game. Technically I work for a gaming company, but I am a php developer, and it's not the kind of gaming we're talking about.
07:29pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2497 posts
"Everyone knows all the horror stories about development," says Doak. "And it's a real shame, because it turns people off it in the end. There's this aspect open to exploitation where because it's your dream job, doing something you really love, you should endure all kinds of abuse to do it. Having watched it from the sidelines for the last few years, it seems to have gotten worse. It's just this big furnace that burns people. It's like that thing, where if you enjoy sausages you shouldn't see how they're made. That applies to games."

The last paragraph from this article. Interesting, depressing and totally unsurprising read.
11:38pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
18979 posts
I don't really agree with that, seeing how games are made just made me enjoy them even more. I guess it depends on the person really, but to me thats like saying if you enjoy cars then you shouldn't look under the bonnet to see what makes them run or it will ruin it for you.
11:42pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6497 posts
Yeah I can't agree with that paragraph at all. I know the development cycle of a game and it makes me appreciate game development even more, with the added benefit of knowing when a game is underdeveloped or rushed. Having that kind of knowledge is pretty awesome, and being able to use that in my job makes it even more beneficial.
11:57pm 05/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2498 posts
Yet those are the words from a guy who more than knows about it and has more than seen it. It's worth reading the article though.
12:05am 06/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6499 posts
Oh I'm not saying the article isn't interesting, it's a great read. I was just saying I personally don't agree with the sentiment that seeing the inside of a game has warped my enjoyment of games.
12:13am 06/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2499 posts
If Nad shares you're view then she should go for it. I'd prob be too cynical lol.
12:15am 06/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9573 posts
I've seen the youtube video on how sausages, specifically hot dogs, are made, and it hasn't put me off. A lot of people are like ewww gross, but I'm like... that's pretty reasonable and perfectly expected and great.

+ metaphor

last edited by thermite at 00:48:53 06/May/12
12:47am 06/05/12 Permalink
gamer
2467 posts
Nad I don't work in the games industry so I cannot comment on that.

What I can comment on though is around what Hogfather mentioned in this post. If you are passionate about something you don't let being employed to do it get in the way of it it, that will no doubt - come eventually.

There are so many open source and indie games groups that are looking for games designers. Go find some projects and start pitching in however you want to. Don't let not being paid for something get in the way of you doing it.

Games are as much an art form as an entertainment medium (as im sure your aware). We all know how many artists never get paid until the public realises their talent many years later.

Happiness is the bi-product of following your passion.
08:51am 06/05/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2054 posts
I personally don't agree with the sentiment that seeing the inside of a game has warped my enjoyment of games.

and

to me thats like saying if you enjoy cars then you shouldn't look under the bonnet to see what makes them run or it will ruin it for you

I cbf reading the article but from the above paragraph I understood him to be talking about the work environment rather than the game itself.

There's this aspect open to exploitation where because it's your dream job, doing something you really love, you should endure all kinds of abuse to do it.

and

It's just this big furnace that burns people.

...would indicate he is talking about the conditions and the pressure/unfair expectations(?) rather than finding out how 3D models are rendered for instance.
09:34am 06/05/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13147 posts
It's actually kinda sad from my experience because it felt true for me (2d/3d animation / modeling). Girls with way shittier reels would get interviews and jobs much, much easier then the guys. Love the way reverse sexism works.

It's not reverse sexism - it's called "workplace diversity" and it's important. Especially in male dominated fields like computer science, engineering, etc. I'm an engineer and I'm fucking sick of blokes.

Hoggy spits the truth.

Nad, to avoid the despair associated with being poor sort out your financial position first and then follow your passion second.

If you have the aptitude for learning and the motivation to pursue a more tedious but financially rewarding and responsible occupation then that's what you should do.
01:43pm 06/05/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9639 posts

what have you worked on lately?
03:17pm 06/05/12 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6126 posts
what hoggy said. start making your own games on iphone or other. be an indy dev.
09:05pm 07/05/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
09:05pm 07/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks