Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Tallest mountain to deepest ocean
Ozzy
Gold Coast, Queensland
256 posts
Found an epic infographic. I love this s***...

Makes you feel significant huh...

06:55pm 07/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:55pm 07/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19397 posts
that was really cool. thanks.
06:59pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
337 posts
Really, that makes you feel insignificant?

What about this ...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0403/hudf_hst.jpg

Does anyone need a description for that image? If you do, search "hubble ultra deep field" on YouTube.
07:06pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Vash
3637 posts
that reminds me, when are they releasing the abyss blu ray dang it.
07:07pm 07/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17674 posts
colossal squids <3
07:10pm 07/01/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
3324 posts
Yeah, images like that with a variety of facts on an issue i always enjoy. With regards to that death zone, hasnt there been people who have climbed everest without breathing assistance? Or was that shorter mountains?
07:13pm 07/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16478 posts
yes, people have climbed it without supplemental oxygen.

Really, that makes you feel insignificant?

What about this ...

gif version

http://i.imgur.com/cJfsN.gif
07:26pm 07/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22055 posts
There is enough oxygen in the death zone to stop you from instantly suffocating but if you stay there over a prolonged period you are guaranteed to die.

edit: this has been posted heaps but it is my favourite thing on the internet http://htwins.net/scale2/
07:26pm 07/01/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7414 posts
My favourite:

07:35pm 07/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16479 posts
There is enough oxygen in the death zone to stop you from instantly suffocating but if you stay there over a prolonged period you are guaranteed to die.

according to the wiki, if you haven't spent a prolonged period of time acclimatizing to that altitude, you'll lose consciousness within a few minutes.

last edited by ravn0s at 19:37:14 07/Jan/13
07:36pm 07/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22056 posts
Yeah that's probably right. I read some thing about climbers in the death zone a while ago. I guess most people who make it to the death zone would be acclimatised to it.
07:39pm 07/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20971 posts
Very cool stuff in this thread

cheers team
08:17pm 07/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3738 posts
WOW to all, blows me away this stuff. We are quite small in the scheme of things.

according to the wiki, if you haven't spent a prolonged period of time acclimatizing to that altitude, you'll lose consciousness within a few minutes.

I think the name "Death Zone" sort of indicates it may be problematic!
08:20pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7590 posts
I had no idea the South Pole was at such an altitude. Today I learned something cool! ;D
08:46pm 07/01/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2462 posts
I had no idea the South Pole was at such an altitude. Today I learned something cool! ;D

Was going to say exactly that!

The other cool thing about the OP infographic is that it shows there's almost 65000ft or 20km between the highest and lowest points on earth and yet the earth is so big that its surface is as smooth as a billiard ball's!
09:18pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1802 posts
Great stuff in this thread, that Hubble utlra deep field has blown my mindhole!! I didn't realise it was a zoom out from such a small section of the already observable universe.

I like xckd's two scales:

Height:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/height.png

Depth:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/depth.png
10:55pm 07/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16481 posts
lol @ brian greene knitting furiously.
11:04pm 07/01/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16482 posts
if you want your mind blown, watch the 3 episodes of nova's fabric of the cosmos, narrated by brian greene. they're available on youtube. here's the one about quantum mechanics.

Join Brian Greene on a wild ride into the weird realm of quantum physics, which governs the universe on the tiniest of scales. Greene brings quantum mechanics to life in a nightclub like no other, where objects pop in and out of existence and things over here can affect others over there, instantaneously—without anything crossing the space between them. A century ago, during the initial shots in the quantum revolution, the best minds of a generation—including Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr—squared off in a battle for the soul of physics. How could the rules of the quantum world, which work so well to describe the behavior of individual atoms and their components, appear so dramatically different from the everyday rules that govern people, planets, and galaxies? Quantum mechanics may be counterintuitive, but it's one of the most successful theories in the history of science, making predictions that have been confirmed to better than one part in a billion, while also launching the technological advances at the heart of modern life, like computers and cell phones. But even today, even with such profound successes, the debate sill rages over what quantum mechanics implies for the true nature of reality.

last edited by ravn0s at 23:19:24 07/Jan/13
11:17pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7137 posts

Yeah, surprised me too. I am suddenly realising where some of the gloomier predicted sea level increases by the end of the century might be coming from.
02:47am 08/01/13 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
338 posts
This is also awesome:

12:50am 09/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7141 posts
^ Needs music and somebody like Carl Sagan pointing out astouding relevant information. :P

edit: like this! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1ImgOcOPM&t=7m02s , otherwise it's just wildlife footage without a david attenborough..
01:01am 09/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:01am 09/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.