AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Epic Slow-mo
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
956 posts
08:47am 07/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:47am 07/08/12 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
705 posts
Pretty rad imagery; but I'd expect that for $10k
03:38pm 07/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9985 posts
I've been looking at this thread all day long and struggling on what to say.
It's not epic, there's a start. It's average high speed photography, not even like a high speed camera. So what, digital cameras now have a function that has been readily available for 100 years.
I can't believe somebody bothered to make this video. But if you just blew $10k on that f*****g camera that will be obsolete in a couple years, what else could you do I guess...
Then again, Mantis didn't pay for that camera, so why is he posting it?
See why I'm struggling with this...
03:43pm 07/08/12 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
706 posts
Seeing as though the OP looked to be a throw-away thread/post then I think you're reading way to much into it.

It made me google for a price and more information on this product so I guess that it was relevant in some way...

The fact that this seems to be near the 1000fps mark (this seems to be the new hot s***) for the imagery they've put in the video is probably why they've referred to it as epic
03:51pm 07/08/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2730 posts
what time do we need to skip to for boobs?
03:55pm 07/08/12 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
707 posts

1:57
04:07pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Inept
Brisbane, Queensland
109 posts
I agree thermite; I have written a couple of replies throughout the day trying to put into words how not epic this was. It's far too fast to show any real impressive slow motion detail. I immediately thought of the Australian Open and numerous other sports with slow motion capabilities which are at least several times "slower" and more impressive than this.
04:12pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2818 posts
Meh, was not even near as slow as I expected. Just a s***** ad.
04:19pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Olx
Sydney, New South Wales
91 posts
nothing really fantastic there.

they could've at least had a slowmo of some chick with massive jugs.. just sayin
04:25pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
958 posts
Geeze you guys are like a bunch of grumpy old men. :)

Who cares if it's not "epic", i enjoyed it so thought i'd share. If 1 person out there in the QGL world enjoys it, then i consider that a success.

But then again, i'm a positive person. :)
04:26pm 07/08/12 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
708 posts
Geeze you guys are like a bunch of grumpy old men. :)

Who cares if it's not "epic", i enjoyed it so thought i'd share. If 1 person out there in the QGL world enjoys it, then i consider that a success.

But then again, i'm a positive person. :)

It's all crusty old men with graying neckbeards around here now-a-days.
04:39pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20385 posts
I eagerly await the typical DSLR owner's reply of: pfft, I could do that with my 5D mk III
05:27pm 07/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2625 posts
Soz mantis, s*** vid. Came here expecting epic. Was let down. Maybe 'cool slow mo' or something but it was pretty meh.

Cant remember any noteworthy boobs.

nothing really fantastic there.they could've at least had a slowmo of some chick with massive jugs.. just sayin

Yeah, i was waiting for some sweet explosions or boobs or something but then when it finished with the camera name i wondered if it was trying to be a viral vid as that would explain the lack of female skin exposure. Far too much time spent on lame s*** with what i thought was attention to the angle of shots rather than the quality of the action being actually shot.

Also, if they wanna show a somewhat closeup of the microwave being shot at, they could at least hit the thing. Im no sniper pro or anything but if you cant hit the target, then get a bigger target, move closer or find a shooter who can. Goddam dirt sprays, meh.

Overall, i didnt mind watching it just to b**** and complain about it. If i had a spare $15k id spend $10k on the camera and another $5k on big titty chicks wearing next to nothing jumping on those mini trampolines. That would be epic.

Kinda like this but with more flesh:

http://www.abload.de/img/m201458671-bouncing-atlou4.gif [trog: adsense edit]

last edited by trog at 03:11:06 29/May/14
05:35pm 07/08/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5129 posts
Was waiting for the slow mo boobs, so disappointing.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/click-slow-motion-boobs.gif
06:03pm 07/08/12 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4333 posts
Yep, vid was lame.

Also in the group shooting bit one of them is f*****g terrible, shoots and hits the ground like 2m in front of the people.
06:20pm 07/08/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7172 posts
12:24am 08/08/12 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
2366 posts
I'm pretty impressed they have got something that probably cost half a million dollars 2 years ago down to 10k!
04:46pm 08/08/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
303 posts
I've done that thing with the racquet and ball before.

Flaming tennis FTW.

It's all fun and games until someone catches fire.
04:54pm 08/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20389 posts
I'm pretty impressed they have got something that probably cost half a million dollars 2 years ago down to 10k!

In another 2 years it'll be worth $1000.

What makes high speed digital cameras more expensive than a standard camera anyway? As far as I'm aware there's no actual moving shutter in a digital camera (or is there?) so how do they justify the massive price difference just because it can record at more than 60fps? I'm genuinely curious.
05:10pm 08/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9992 posts
It's probably expensive regardless of the frame rate capability, it's a professional camera with all the bells and whistles, everything is bigger and better, such as a 35mm sensor which I think is unprecedented or at least unusual.

I imagine the higher frame rate is only possible with the appropriate write speed on the media or RAM or something like that. Basically the large number of frames have to be put somewhere very quickly.
05:29pm 08/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5944 posts
As far as I'm aware there's no actual moving shutter in a digital camera (or is there?)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/why-digital-cameras-have-mechanical-shutters.html
Unlike the interline transfer sensor (above), the full frame sensor has no circuitry on the pixel to store the charge that builds up as light contacts the array. Cameras that use a mechanical shutter typically bleed off any residual electrical charge while the shutter is closed, open the shutter, and then close the shutter. Once the mechanical shutter is closed, circuitry is then used to shift the charge from each pixel into a storage area. Since the pixels on the sensor remain "live" during readout, if the shutter remained open, light would continue to alter the charge accumulated by each pixel during the shifting operation which could result in blur or ghosting.

Edit: Just wanted to point out i didn't know the answer until your question inspired me :)
06:00pm 08/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:00pm 08/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close