Visceral's spin on the Battlefield series breaks the norm and introduces a story with depth. We take it for a ride!
Bringing a Story to Battlefield
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
TED Talk: Identity without a name
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
916 posts
Interesting talk about proving you are allowed to do whatever you are trying to do (ride the train, get in a bar, draw money out) without telling everyone everything about you.

The thing i found most amusing as at start where he asks why we have our names on our Credit Cards and Debit Cards. Apart from those old paper imprint things which nobody uses anymore, why does the cashier at the store need to know our name? And certainly, why does it need to be raised up on the card. Stupid legacy thoughts/technology. All the store cares about is the chip/strip and the PIN. I don't know about anyone else but i almost never sign anymore, always PIN.

Anyways, worth a watch i think.

11:58am 04/06/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:58am 04/06/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8898 posts
why does the cashier at the store need to know our name?

Its not for the cashiers benefit, its to convince you that you arent just a number.

12:27pm 04/06/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9705 posts
It never really clicked for me what he was saying about using your real name on Facebook. I suspect it's just a case of old fart doesn't understand facebook.
12:42pm 04/06/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1052 posts
... why we have our names on our Credit Cards and Debit Cards...

Well you've never lost your wallet then... or been involved in a larger transaction.

When I used to work retail, if the transaction came even close to $1k I always asked for photo ID (which would also server as an additional confirmation to the signature).

After watching the OP, his 'psychic paper' concept is intriguing, but the infrastructure to make use of it, and the 'backend' to host all of the content and frameworks present a much bigger security problem than the manner in which it's managed currently.
12:44pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1944 posts
I get asked for ID regularly, here. And you cannot assume that imprint slider thingos are extinct. Uncommon, yes, but if you're in the middle of nowhere and have no cash, nor access to an ATM, you'll need a card with raised lettering.

It's only old fashioned if your world is small.
12:55pm 04/06/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:55pm 04/06/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.