AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Hans Rosling: Religions and babies
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2577 posts

This was a great Ted Talk (are there any bad ones?). I personally came to a similar conclusion but in a different way (I got his little quiz right) and this has swayed me on the topic and was very well presented. Do watch.
03:38am 23/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:38am 23/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5974 posts
Unsure about the title of the talk, basically the conclusion was that religion has no influence :P. Interesting idea that condoms + women working has stabilised world birth rates though, I was sure that we were on an exponential treadmill.
05:00am 23/05/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10219 posts
What an awesome talk. And it confirmed what I had suspected for a while is that population growth is slowing and starting to plateau.

So when all you bigots claim that you're not having kids because there's too many people in the world already, you're not understanding the full facts.
07:33am 23/05/12 Permalink
Coochie
Brisbane, Queensland
822 posts
So when all you bigots claim that you're not having kids because there's too many people in the world already, you're not understanding the full facts.
I think there's a slight floor in the logic you used to deduce that these people are bigots.

Person A: 7 billion people is too many in the world. I won't have babies and make it 7 billion + 2
Hans Rosling: Population will expand to 10 billion then remain constant
Hardware: BIGOTS!

P.S I'm just trying to convey my view as simply as possible...probably could have padded it out to make a more courteous argument but I need to get to work. Perhaps I should add a few of these: :) :) :)

Also I'm not one of these bigots not having babies because of population....getting laid seems to be a bigger hurdle at the moment.
08:06am 23/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5975 posts
Where did you get 'bigot' from in that context hardware?

And population is only stabilising because of the people not having kids, remember that the average is two.
08:25am 23/05/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10220 posts
floor
flaw
08:34am 23/05/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
768 posts
Phwoar!? As soon as I find a hawt (IMO) woman that fulfills the characteristics, criteria and attributes that I am aiming and waiting for (over inflated ego and sense of self-worth, persecution complex, health and fitness freak, always has to be righ... hey wait a minute..) then it's game awn yo, kids and family dominate. :)
08:39am 23/05/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5929 posts
I can't afford kids.

House or kids?

House wins.
08:45am 23/05/12 Permalink
Coochie
Brisbane, Queensland
823 posts
I can't afford kids.

House or kids?

House wins.

Bigot!

Communist!
08:49am 23/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2578 posts
I can't afford kids.

House or kids?

House wins.

I guess that's part of why the number of babies dropped with higher income, you may have more cash but the cost of living sky rockets with it. Along with the opportunities of more developed and wealthier cultures getting in the way.
10:03am 23/05/12 Permalink
gamer
2530 posts
I can't afford kids.

Sounds very much like the words of someone who has never had one - so you wouldn't know.

12:13pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4527 posts
I can't afford kids.

House or kids?

House wins.

do you stop working once you have kids and become a stay at home mummy or something?

kids put a 6-9month pause on our house acquiring tactics, but we're still full steam ahead.
02:29pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4031 posts
he didn't address the pricklier question - how many of those 10 billion will be christians, mulims, and so on :D
02:45pm 23/05/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
905 posts
probably because it had nothing to do with the point he was making
02:52pm 23/05/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5364 posts
What an awesome talk. And it confirmed what I had suspected for a while is that population growth is slowing and starting to plateau.

Trolling legendary style.

1. They are only bigots if they claim you are wrong in breeding (i.e personal choice).
2. Irrespective of the number you can still believe there are too many people in the world.
3. This talk was about the numbers of peoples not about how many people the earth can sustain.
4. No you're a bigot.
03:23pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6691 posts
I don't plan on starting a family until I'm financially secure and own a house that is under my name, so that is probably why as Trauma said, the number of babies per woman has dropped. Very interesting talk, though I still prefer the young kid who built his own reactor.
03:23pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6918 posts
I've been trying to find a particular, older Hans Rosling video for a while, but can't seem to find it. In it, he visualises population growth by using small balls, and a bucket.
His way of showing how our attempts to limit population growth in first-world countries if futile when you accept the population control of third-world countries - he removes one bucket from the overall population bucket, and pours a massive bucket in to the population bucket. And does this a few times repeated and you then see as the world population spills over on to the floor...

Anyone recall this one?
03:36pm 23/05/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10221 posts

Trolling legendary style.
04:07pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2583 posts
I've been trying to find a particular, older Hans Rosling video for a while, but can't seem to find it. In it, he visualises population growth by using small balls, and a bucket.
His way of showing how our attempts to limit population growth in first-world countries if futile when you accept the population control of third-world countries - he removes one bucket from the overall population bucket, and pours a massive bucket in to the population bucket. And does this a few times repeated and you then see as the world population spills over on to the floor...

Anyone recall this one?

Nearest I found was this.
04:15pm 23/05/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15173 posts
Sounds very much like the words of someone who has never had one - so you wouldn't know.

yep everyone should have kids. if they then realize they can't afford them, they can just dump them at an orphanage.
04:24pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2585 posts
Noticed a juxtaposition win while watching some Hans vids on the tubes just now.

Juxtahans

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/568/juxtahans.jpg
05:33pm 23/05/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7862 posts
Who needs an excuse to explain why they don't want kids. I simply don't want any. Just wish I could find a woman who thinks the same way.
06:13pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6919 posts
Nearest I found was this.

Nah, it's not that one. I don't think it was even a TED talk, it might have been before he started doing regular TED presentations.
08:02pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4032 posts
he didn't address the pricklier question - how many of those 10 billion will be christians, mulims, and so on :D

probably because it had nothing to do with the point he was making

just interested in what his data would say about it tbh

more important is where are these extra 3 billion people going to live - cause we're full lulz
04:00am 24/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2586 posts
just interested in what his data would say about it tbh

His stats are freely available here.

more important is where are these extra 3 billion people going to live - cause we're full lulz

Here is most likely where.
04:32pm 24/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9680 posts
http://www.news.com.au/technology/vertical-living-is-the-answer-to-the-worlds-population-growth/story-e6frfrnr-1226371482513

Here's a quote:

OMFG population will rise to 10 billion, take drastic action immediately - move to the city now, stop having babies at once - TED founder says so!!
12:30pm 29/05/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2089 posts
Hans Gruber : theft and moving up to kidnapping
12:44pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2616 posts
http://www.news.com.au/technology/vertical-living-is-the-answer-to-the-worlds-population-growth/story-e6frfrnr-1226371482513

Here's a quote: "OMFG population will rise to 10 billion, take drastic action immediately - move to the city now, stop having babies at once - TED founder says so!!"

I don't see that quote in the article.
12:54pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6946 posts
He said it's a quote, not that it's a quote from that article. He's learning quickly from news.com.au journalism. It's still accurate to say that what he said is a quote ;)
01:30pm 29/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2618 posts
Oh, I didn't get that impression from the article.
01:52pm 29/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:52pm 29/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close