AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think.
Hearthstone: Naxxramas' Cursed Review
Galaxy S1 issues - text lag/incorrect key input
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
173 posts
So ive had this phone a few years. Its starting to get quite frustrating now because its taking me about 20 seconds to type one word. If I try typing any word in, whether it be in URL, text message, memo or anything for that matter, it will 'hang' on the key for about 3-5 seconds, and most often when it 'hangs' it will enter in the alternative key instead of the letter I need.

i.e. If I text "hello how are you?" at a speed I am capable of, it will come out as "H#l"o ho@ &re 3ou?"

The phone is stock standard, no alternate OS or anything.

Any recommendations/fixes? Google mostly comes up with other forums with similar issues but no resolutions.
08:27pm 04/09/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:27pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4608 posts
flash to factory default.
08:36pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6372 posts
If you're on swype, try clearing the cache, it learns all your typos.

I upgraded to the newest OS, and it's f***ed up so much (the back button vibrates on press down & up, so always twice in quick succession), and unfortunately there's nowhere forward to go on S1s (they're not getting newer OS's afaik).

The hardware is still excellent, the software just fell down right at the end of the upgrade cycle (half my apps - weather maps etc, no longer work either, since upgrading to the newest OS).
09:20pm 04/09/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2188 posts
It sounds like the keyboard is hanging on your keypresses and then the phone is calculating that as a long press of the keys so that, for instance, you press the 'e' key, it hangs on the keydown, then 2 seconds later stops hanging and detects the keyup. The phone sees that as you holding the 'e' key down for 2 seconds and inputs '3' instead (because that is what long press 'e' would be).

Have you tried using a different input method (long press on any text input field) and seeing if the problem exists on other, 3rd party Android keyboards? You might need to download one such as SwiftKey.
09:30pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Karmadelik
Brisbane, Queensland
174 posts
Just bit the bullet and did a factory reset. I'm a horder so I dont like doing it but meh...

works a charm now. Thanks all.
09:42pm 04/09/12 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
174 posts
Just flash Cyanogenmod 9.1, it's quite stable. Or if you're feeling adventurous you can try out CM10 nightlies.

Touchwiz is a s***** hack that Samsung threw together to ape the iPhone interface. Ice Cream Sandwich is a massive improvement upon it.
11:39pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6373 posts
Ice Cream Sandwich isn't coming to Galaxy S1s, despite the fact that the phone's something like 2 or 3 years old, and still has kick ass hardware. :/

edit: Oh, cyanogenmod seems to be a non-official solution.
09:40am 05/09/12 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
175 posts
Cyanogenmod 9 is quite polished. It's a clean, feature rich but unbloated implementation of Ice Cream Sandwich. It doesn't come crammed with s*** you don't need, just the basics. It's also more customisable than stock ICS. It may have the capability to overclock too but I'm not sure if the official stable Galaxy S CM9 rom has that included.
11:28am 05/09/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:28am 05/09/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close