AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Xbmc doesn't play .mkv and .mp4
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2149 posts
I have an xbox1 running and old version of xbmc. The Xbox streams content from my pc via my linksys router.
Recently I found that it won 't play .mkv and .mp4 files.
I spent part of tonight trying to research how to update the software.
I can FTP into my Xbox but only when it's set to the default dash for xbmc. I tried loading the unleash dash so i can install the latest xbmc4xbox software i.e. so i sm mot in the xbmc dash while tring to update it, but then the FTP client (FileZilla) can't see the Xbox! So then I starting d/l the latest AID version to update dash etc that way. It's still d/l.

So my question is this: is this all worth it? What setups do others have? Is a soft modded Xbox running the latest software and set up as a media centre still an acceptable solution, or do I need something bigger and shinier?

Basically I want up run the highest res possible, but I have two tvs: an old CRT in the bedroom and a 50"plasma in the lounge. I occasionally use the 360 in the lounge room with vuze but it is pretty unreliable and the default interface on the 360 is a sad state of affairs. I play on Xbox live (360) so modding the 360 isn't an option... Or is it?
I am more interested in the xbox1 and CRT in the bedroom at this point. It plays most formats but if it played then that would be ideal.
Other questions: what is sick beard and should I get it? Xbmc for pc? How does that work? How can I play all files on the old Xbox? Whats the easiest way to make everything talk? Should I just ditch the old xb and get a media box like the wd or similar?
I'm happy to research details but I need a push in the right direction.
12:16am 30/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:16am 30/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1236 posts
Veggie, If I lived in Brissie, I've got a J-Tagged 360 that is just gathering dust...

I'm hangin out for an Ouya myself.

I want XBMC/Plex (haven't decided yet) and want it on something happily capable of 1080P (and neat/tidy with it's own remote) and haven't found it yet.

Will it (your xbawks) play any MKV's at all? (what ver of XBMC is it runnin?)
and the next question, what does the output of that bad boy top out at? Good Ole' 480P?
01:02am 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34186 posts
yo iv, just get a wdtv

its like $100 and it will play mkvs for you.

the xbox with xbmc was an awesome solution about 10 years ago.

time to put it in the kids room and let them enjoy it.
06:40am 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34187 posts
Western Digital WDTV LIVE STREAMING MEDIA FULL HD HDMI USB2.0 WI-FI
Internet Price: $128.00
Retail Price: $138.00
Stock level: <5 (in Stock)
Model #: WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN

Place Order :

Enlarge Picture
Related Products

Average rating out of 0 voters Write a Review>>>>

Product Details
Product Name: Western Digital WDTV LIVE STREAMING MEDIA
Warranty: 12 mths-RTB1 Warranty - (Details)
Manufactures: Western Digital
Weight(kg): 0.80

Product Description:

Streaming Media Player
Entertainment your way.
Wirelessly stream your personal media and the best of the Internet to your TV in Full-HD 1080p with the WD TV Live streaming media player.
Model: WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN
Highlights:
Watch what you want, when you want.
Stream the latest movies, hit TV shows, and the best of the Internet. Its on your HDTV, on your schedule.
Enjoy your personal media on a bigger stage.
Play your entire digital media library on the biggest screen in your house in Full-HD 1080p. Instantly play virtually any file format.
Easy to set up, easy to use.
This media player features built-in Wi-Fi and intuitive navigation menus for a beautifully simple entertainment experience.
The best of the Internet on your HDTV.
Stream hit movies, catch up on TV shows, stay connected to your social network, and watch highlights from the biggest games of the season. Don't settle for online entertainment on your small computer screen. With the WD TV Live streaming media player, you can enjoy it all on your HDTV. Check out the complete lineup of online services.
Your media collection belongs on the big screen.
Enjoy your media library, home videos, vacation slideshows, and favorite songs on your HDTV and sound system in your living room. Sit back and enjoy the spectacular picture quality of Full-HD 1080p.
Ready, set, stream.
So easy to set up, you'll be up and running in minutes. The WD TV Live streaming media player connects to your high-speed Internet connection wirelessly, no PC required. Or use the Ethernet port to connect to your wired home network.
Play virtually any media file format.
The WD TV Live streaming media player supports a wide variety of the most popular files including MKV, MP4, XVID, AVI, WMV, and MOV video formats. Get the freedom to enjoy your media now, in virtually any file format.
High-performance, streaming-ready Wi-Fi.
WD TV Live Hub supports a wide variety of the most popular file formats including HD camcorder video formats. No need to spend time transcoding.
Play media from any source.
Stream videos, music, and photos from your USB drive, network drive, and any PC or Mac computer in your home. Our media library collects the content from all the drives, so finding the perfect video, song, or photo to view is easier.
Show photos and movies directly from your digital camera or camcorder.
Connect your camcorder or digital camera directly to the media center using one of the USB ports, and instantly view or archive HD video and photos without a PC. Works with any digital imaging device that supports Picture Transfer Protocol.
Stay updated with RSS feeds.
Stay posted on your favorite bloggers and websites and stream the latest audio and video with timely RSS feeds. You can also add specific feeds to your dashboard to be shown as tickers so you never miss a thing.
Programmable remote.
Use the included programmable remote control to make your entertainment choices using our crisp, animated navigation menus. Customize buttons for quick and easy access to your favorite music, photos, videos or menu choices.
Bring the arcade to your HDTV.
Swap gems with Rockswap, try your luck with Texas Hold'Em, or test your math skills with Sudoku. WD TV Live brings casual games to your big screen TV.
Use your keyboard for easy searching and updating.
Use the on-screen keyboard or attach your wired or wireless USB keyboard for easy text input. Perfect for searching videos on YouTube or updating your status on Facebook.
HDMI and composite video output.
The HDMI port lets you connect to the highest quality HDTV or home theater. Additional composite (RCA outputs) ensure compatibility with virtually all television sets.
SPDIF digital output.
The optical audio output sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience.
Automatic play.
Select your favorite song, movie, or photo slideshow to automatically play when the device is turned on. Perfect for living art on your HDTV or for digital signage.
Ultra-compact design.
Cool and quiet, this compact system integrates perfectly into your entertainment center.
Advanced functions for power users.
Audio lip sync adjustment to match with playing video
Subtitle color, position, and timing adjustment
Password-protected parental controls for specific online services
Specifications
File Formats Supported
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI
File Formats Not Supported
- Does not support protected premium content such as movies or music from the iTunes Store, Movielink, Amazon Unbox, and Vongo
Note
- MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
- MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
- WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
- H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
- H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
- An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
- Compressed RGB JPEG formats only and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
- Single layer TIFF files only.
- Uncompressed BMP only.
- For details, please refer to the user manual.
Languages Supported
User Interface:
English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese , Portuguese (Brazil), Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Turkish, Hebrew, Arabic, Polish, Czech, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian,Hungarian
Subtitle:
English, Dutch, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Arabic, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Greek, Hebrew, Turkish, Czech, Slovakian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Hindi (India), Malay/Bahasa (Indonesia), Central European language
Multilingual Input:
English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, Norwegian, Hungarian
Kit Contents
Streaming media player
Remote control with batteries
Composite AV cable
AC adapter
Quick Install Guide
Performance Specifications
Video Format PAL
Physical Specifications
Capacity N/A
Interface Ethernet, USB 2.0, HDMI, Composite A/V, Wi-Fi, Optical audio
Physical Dimensions
English
Height 1.20 Inches
Depth 3.9 Inches
Width 4.90 Inches
Weight 0.42 Pounds
Metric
Height 30.0 mm
Depth 100 mm
Width 125.0 mm
Weight 0.19 kg
Product Warranty
1 Year Return to Base

Important Note: Product information is drawn from suppliers and manufacturers. Check manufactu
07:19am 30/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1237 posts
Have given it a hit previously Spook, I'm p.interested in the meta data services that XBMC offers (started building/amassing a fairly sizeable library digitizing the few hundred movies I've got, want to make good use of the tight IMDB(and other) info available to it moreso as a 'service' than just a straight up playback device.)

For what they are (and what you pay), the WDTV is a simple little unit that does what it advertises tho!
I was lookin @ the AppleTV hack job, but cut it away coz the ATV2's don't play 1080P too well, and the ATV3 is yet to be JB'd.
07:41am 30/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8184 posts
I think the limitation is the Xbox1 - when I resurrected my old unit I had trouble trying to get it to play MKV/MP4 as well and after some Google I vaguely remember the finger being pointed at the hardware.
07:56am 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10132 posts
I have this same problem in Windows Media Center, it doesn't recognise many file formats including mkv. I've researched before but you get the same useless advice as always about codecs.
08:28am 30/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12984 posts
wdtv with custom firmware:

WDLXTV Is the firmware

MovieSheets+ Is an application that goes with it to give you a sweet UI with all movie stuffs.

At the moment the WDTV is the s*** for Media playing (with custom firmware). I predict it will be replaced by the Ouya as the best and cheapest media player available.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 08:48:13 30/Aug/12
08:38am 30/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12985 posts
Do'h! stuffed it:

This is also a good moviesheet app, cleaner IMO.
08:49am 30/08/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2150 posts
Thanks for the replies, really useful info.

Wirelessly stream your personal media and the best of the Internet to your TV in Full-HD 1080p with the WD TV Live streaming media player.

Spook does the wireless work reliably? I assuming yes as you're recommending it strongly.

I have been considering the WDTV so it sounds like it might be time. I really like the "old" xbox interface and features but the fact it doesn't support HD or some of the more popular file types is becoming an issue.

09:17am 30/08/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5084 posts
Depends what you want to do, but i made a mini itx computer about 3 years ago for roughly $300 so it would be alot cheaper now a days and it does everything, also added blu ray player in it so it plays blu rays. I run the latest XBMC on it and plays everything from 20gb mkv files to mp3. I am looking into future on getting Synology NAS drive and adding with Plex Server on it as you can get XBMC addon for it.
09:29am 30/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8185 posts
I have this same problem in Windows Media Center, it doesn't recognise many file formats including mkv. I've researched before but you get the same useless advice as always about codecs.

Install Shark007 codec pack (the only one you need) and Media Browser (plugin for MCE) and it fixes this problem.
09:39am 30/08/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
13575 posts
To the OP, the later versions of XBMC for the original Xbox do know how to read and play MP4 and MKV containers, but the device lacks the processing power and RAM to be able to decode high resolution and high bitrate videos in general.

It should definitely be able to download almost everything standard definition in those formats, but you won't get it reliably playing 720p content (unless you transcode it to xvid and butcher the bitrate), and abandon all hope of 1080p.
09:44am 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10134 posts
Install Shark007 codec pack (the only one you need) and Media Browser (plugin for MCE) and it fixes this problem.

I've always used Shark007 and Media Browser plugin.

You made me angry having to reply to you.

09:49am 30/08/12 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
967 posts
I use a AC Ryan Playon. I have got nothing but good things to say about it. I have 2 2TB drives attached plus network and I have not had an issue playing anything. Best money I have spent.
09:49am 30/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8186 posts

I've always used Shark007 and Media Browser plugin.

You must've broken something, that's all I have and it plays every single media file I've ever thrown at it.
09:56am 30/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12986 posts
Why use Windows Media Center at all?

VLC all the way.
10:00am 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10135 posts
The mkv files do play with VLC, however VLC is not good for a HTPC with remote - I have to close WMC and use a mouse to browse the file system and play with VLC.
10:13am 30/08/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5085 posts
yeah i had mkv problems when using MCE the problem is some of the mkv files are decoded wrong and also sometimes my atom processor couldnt handle it. with xbmc never had a movie not work also changing subtitles and language is breeze as well especially if you have iphone or ipad download the app called commander totally recommend it.

http://xbmc-commander.com/
10:18am 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10136 posts
I'm also using an Atom processor.

Must be pretty pox if that's the reason for the problems, considering even those little Raspberry Pi things can supposedly play HD videos.
10:22am 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34188 posts
i dont like streaming wirelessly and avoid it whever possible. all devices that i use in my house are cabled.

wifeys laptop uses wireless n, it seems fine, i still dont trust it.

i dont use a wdtv, my samsung tele plays whatever format i need it to natively (although, you do need to rename mkv's as mpeg for them to work, which is slightly strange!)
10:23am 30/08/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36469 posts
One thing Spook and I definitely agree on: WDTV is awesome (and wireless sucks for media)

My modded Xbox could play MKV/h264, but it didn't have the CPU power necessary to do it smoothly.

If you're not prepared to f*** around building your own media centre and/or constantly updating something like XBMC, WDTV is the cheapest and most reliable way to get your s*** working.
10:33am 30/08/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5086 posts
another way you can do it if you have nas drive or if you have lots of movies is run plex server and getting plex addon on ya WDTV
10:44am 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34189 posts
One thing Spook and I definitely agree on: WDTV is awesome (and wireless sucks for media)

now that we've met in RL, im sure we will agree on everything!
11:49am 30/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12988 posts
WDTV Live with Custom firmware can give this result:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3910/moviect.jpg

And it plays 1080p smoothly.

edit: Also Wireless sucks for smoothly streaming HD movies. Even more so if you have unavoidable interference from the neighborhood across multiple channels. I have a HDD attached to my WDTV and copy everything I watch to it via wireless prior to watching. Sucks doing that. My house will have Cat-6 wiring soon, that'll fix it.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 12:20:21 30/Aug/12
12:17pm 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10139 posts
These WD Live things seem to be going for as little as $60 on ebay
is there a particular model/version to look for or avoid?
12:20pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Denny
Brisbane, Queensland
3422 posts

You're definitely doing it wrong. I've now installed Windows Media Center with Shark's 007 3 times (for 2 different computers) and I've never had a problem playing MKV (or any other) files. Biggest PITA is getting Subs to work properly with my fancy foreign films.
03:13pm 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10142 posts
If you can confidently state that I'm "definitely doing it wrong" then you would be able to provide an explanation...
03:17pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
743 posts
another way you can do it if you have nas drive or if you have lots of movies is run plex server and getting plex addon on ya WDTV

Whoa wait... The new WDTV's have a plex addon?
03:22pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34192 posts
everyone needs to be able to play mp4's these days.

also, for my pc, i run vlc via hdmi to my tv in the bedroom, works a treat with everything, handles subs fine, even handles my tvs totally bizare 4:3 ratio!
03:43pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20496 posts
If you can confidently state that I'm "definitely doing it wrong" then you would be able to provide an explanation...

install this: http://haali.su/mkv/
05:16pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13063 posts

he did
06:03pm 30/08/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3140 posts
everyone needs to be able to play mp4's these days.

also, for my pc, i run vlc via hdmi to my tv in the bedroom, works a treat with everything, handles subs fine, even handles my tvs totally bizare 4:3 ratio!

4:3 my god man, are you stuck in the 80's, find micheal j fox, he shouldn't be that shaky back in your time, he will help you get back to the....now

also, find a Dr called Howser, he might seem a little young, but high five him from the future
06:38pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34194 posts
i blame the aldi tv i bought which promised me it would do 720p

IT LIED, tv should not be watched at 1024x768!!!!!
07:01pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6567 posts
That's a common marketing trick on cheap TVs. They can support 720p input but have a native resolution below 1280*720.
07:06pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34195 posts
so bizaro for a quality brand like tevion to not do what it says!?
07:58pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1668 posts
Yeah there's no point mucking around with an Xbox1. The hardware is near 12 years old now!
11:48pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1668 posts
I had WDTV thing, it was always crapping out and had dodgy playback sometimes.

I'm fairly sure my Xbox 360 plays MKV's, I tried to play one and it went and updated itself with a codec so it could play it, that's just playing it through the main Xbox, not connected media centre. Also it has all the latest updates, Metro etc. I find it pretty awesome as a media centre, it can access all the online tv channel players and movie/tv subscription services to stream directly, plus it streams movies from my PC over the wi-fi.
02:56am 31/08/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8601 posts
My WDTV has been pretty well spot on.

I did have the media HD plugged into the router via usb and then newtrked wirelessly to the WDTV, worked perfectly and was simple to set-up.

The problem arose when my Windows pc's (which I use for downloading) would not see the harddive connected to the router (yet the mbp saw it straight away without touching a thing...). So to update media on the HD I had to disconnect HD from router and plug into pc, no biggy.

But plugging the HD back into the router caused problems and the WDTV would say that there is no media on the HD, even though it there - weird. Haven't quite worked that issue out yet.

But as the WDTV has two usb ports, plugging slef powered HD or thumbdrive directly into it everything plays like it should (obviously you just have to disconnect HD to update files) - but the wireless networking for internet access is fine (you tube, iView, weather s*** etc)

Post is all over the shop but you get that.
07:08am 31/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12989 posts
Mission, did you try deleting the .wd_tv directory on the hdd if it is there?

I just finished installing WDLXTV and my God it is an improvment in every way. The UI is exactly the same if you want that (default) and it loads approx 70% faster, maybe more. The UI is more responsive and it also has a web-enabled frontend you can access from your PC and tinker around with it in good depth. It also has a virtual remote. Highly, highly recommended.

It is as simple as downloading wdlxtv firmware, changin a small bit of text in the version file and plugging in the USB with firmware on it. IT will update on next boot. O yer!
08:02am 31/08/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8602 posts
No, but I will try that Toll, thanks for the tip.

Unplugging HD, updating the HD and re plugging into the unit itself is fine. Only seems to have a few issues when unplugging out of the router, updating HD, then plugging back into router. - usually gives an error of no media :/

I haven't updated any firmware either, so I might give that a whirl too.
11:37am 31/08/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2153 posts
I'm fairly sure my Xbox 360 plays MKV's, I tried to play one and it went and updated itself with a codec so it could play it, that's just playing it through the main Xbox, not connected media centre. Also it has all the latest updates, Metro etc. I find it pretty awesome as a media centre, it can access all the online tv channel players and movie/tv subscription services to stream directly, plus it streams movies from my PC over the wi-fi.

Interesting cos I have had the opposite experience. I have tried setting up and syncing Windows Media Centre with the PC/XBox360 and it is complete balls. I forget now exactly what the issue was but from memory it just kept coming up with an error where it couldn't find the media or some such rubbish and I got the s**** and abandoned it.

Vuze works intermittently, as in sometimes it will play fine and other times the "filetype" or codec can't "isn't supported" or it will play and then stutter like a nervous teen, which absolutely s**** me to tears.

I am pretty patient and have persevered with all sort of networking bulls*** in the early days of the old xbox, but these days I just want s*** to work.

I am considering buying myself a WDTV thang for Father's Day cos you know I'm worth it.
11:57am 31/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34197 posts
dude, you are totes worth it.
01:40pm 31/08/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2154 posts
Feeling the <3 up in this thread.

Group hug QGL, you guys are alllllllllright. Especially you Spook. Call me maybe?

01:51pm 31/08/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8603 posts
01:54pm 31/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3328 posts
I have tried setting up and syncing Windows Media Centre with the PC/XBox360 and it is complete balls. I forget now exactly what the issue was but from memory it just kept coming up with an error where it couldn't find the media or some such rubbish and I got the s**** and abandoned it.

strange, works great for me on 2 x 360's streaming from HP Proliant. I've just kept things simple.

HP Proliant with Win 7 gets all my programs, cable to both xbox's, using WMC on all, avi and mp4 mainly i just search them out. quality is fine. and because it's all on my home network i can easily rdp from my other pc's or iPad to do things.
02:01pm 31/08/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2155 posts
Maybe wireless and XP is my problem :(
03:35pm 31/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3331 posts
Maybe wireless and XP is my problem :(

could be, get Win 7 and you should be sweet. I've also used this if you're into metadata http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11353/add-images-and-metadata-to-windows-7-media-center-movie-library/
06:04pm 31/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12993 posts
I had Win 7 and wireless and xbox360. It was such a pain-in-the-arse to set up. At the time I had a lot of trouble getting h.264 running on the xbox360 as well as the various different surround sound codecs and I didn't want to have to trans code everything ARG! so frustrating. WDTV-live fixed all that. Streaming over wireless still sucks balls though.
06:09pm 31/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3332 posts
Streaming over wireless still sucks balls though.

can do, cable is the go.

i never have had any set up probs though. wireless or cable. found it the easiest thing ever with WMC.

what exactly where everyone's issues?

i just turn on xbox, open WMC, open WMC on PC, get code, input, connect.
06:34pm 31/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12995 posts
Well, the code business didn't work for me. It just wouldn't connect. I did have a wireless-bridge in the middle of everything which complicated it a bit. When I eventually did get it to connect, the Xbox wouldn't play anything I threw at it. I belive the 360 is a bit particular with the audio codec you use, and I think that caused a problem fairly often. Not to mention the 360 being pretty loud plus I didn't like the interface.

09:46pm 31/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3333 posts
fair enough.
10:19pm 31/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34201 posts
if you are having to do anything other than open your particular media playing application to watch medias, its a total fail system.

copying to harddrives? fail
transcoding or f*****g around to watch? fail
06:35am 01/09/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9821 posts
I have a modded WDTV with the custom firmware, pretty good but moviesheets looks like a pain in the ass. It also struggles to play full BluRays. Now I have a PopCorn Hour and it does everything by default.

Check it out, nothing better at the moment.

I stream 1080p over wireless just fine, there is no issue, if you do, then you are doing it wrong, plain and simple lol
08:46am 01/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20530 posts
copying to harddrives? fail

where do you keep yours? the cloud?
04:39pm 01/09/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34215 posts
i download it on the pc, and watch it from the pc (whether its the tv in the bedroom, or the lounge room)

i aint copying s*** anywhere
04:50pm 01/09/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2161 posts
Apologies for the bump, but just wanted to say thanks for the sterling advice received in this thread. I went and bought a WDTV Live Streaming box for the lounge room and after a few initial hiccups (due to me not checking s*** properly) I was up and running. I overlooked (or more correctly assumed) the workgroup name and couldn't see the network but sorted that and it works really well. I have streamed 720p over wireless so far without an issue.

In fact I went back and bought a second one for the bedroom and took after 5 minutes to set up. I am able to stream over wireless to both boxes simultaneously without issues so far. Really recommend these to anyone looking for a cheap user friendly solution. It even plays my raw video cam files. I've had one .wmv that hasn't worked so far, but overall most def worth the entry fee.

PS now $88 at Officeworks. Bargain!

12:03pm 06/09/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34269 posts
no worries bro.

you know i got your back.
01:54pm 06/09/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3356 posts
Did you get this one WDTV Live HD Media Player for $89

Because there is also this one WD TV Live Streaming Media Player for $135

Did yours come with wifi or did you have to buy something extra?
04:11pm 06/09/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5098 posts
Yeah PopCorn Hour are pretty good, also was thinking of getting RoKu as it has lots of IP TV programs and with US VPN it would be pretty sweet, also it support plex server. So all you need to do is have NAS drive or turn on your computer with plex server install :)
04:31pm 06/09/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2163 posts
Because there is also this one WD TV Live Streaming Media Player for $135

I got that wifi enabled one i.e. wireless with an extra USB port on the front, but it was drastically reduced to $88 at Officeworks Buranda. I even triple checked it, going back in after I had secured my box in the car, thinking there was an error in my favour, but no, it seems they have just gone down in price. The tag on the shelf still said $125 as well.

To summarise, both types listed in crazymorton's post are now $88. Madness!

last edited by IncrEdible_vEgetable at 16:52:06 06/Sep/12
04:50pm 06/09/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3357 posts
Sounds awesome I might go check it out tomorrow.
05:05pm 06/09/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7115 posts
Anyone here have a Dune player? I got myself a Dune Hd 101 media player to stream middle eastern channels through iptv. It's working nicely with 200+ durka channels. Plays mkv files and the works as well except I'm having problems connecting it over wireless to my laptop running windows 7. I've done the all the sharing and the config on the dune player but still no go so I'm forced to connect the laptop to the tv over hdmi which is annoying when the other alf wants to use the laptop...
06:04pm 06/09/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3360 posts
have you done the sharing in Win7 also? you might need to allow it as a device
06:10pm 06/09/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7116 posts
Yeah that's what i mean't, i've shared my media on windows 7 and manually configured the player with my laptops IP, shared folders etc..but it says cannot access the network folder..it's frustrating as s***
06:26pm 06/09/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3362 posts
right click the folder you want to share and change all security to allow full access for all users listed

from memory there's a sharing and security tab, just go through those and open up access everywhere.

i had to do this on something recently and it worked.
06:58pm 06/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20558 posts
like what's his face said, is the dune + windows 7 on the same workgroup?
07:01pm 06/09/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2165 posts
Yeah it was the workgroup that got me... I looked and thought "that looks right" but it wasn't. WORKGROUP vs MSHOME
07:10pm 06/09/12 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7117 posts
Got it..

Turns out i needed both my newly created network folder and the SMB to be configured with my laptop's IP address, I thought i had to use one or the other :/

thanks peeps.
10:27am 07/09/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:27am 07/09/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks