AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Microsoft SkyDrive
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13643 posts
Must have just come through as a Windows 7 update - but all of a sudden I have this:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1717/0bsbh.png

When I created a file in it I had to log in to my Windows Live account and it was good to go.

I guess it will be interesting to see how this goes compared to DropBox and Google Drive. The obvious advantage Microsoft has is that they can just drop this on you with an update - fully integrated, ready to go. That seems like quite an advantage to me.

If I log in to to SkyDrive online it looks like this. And yeah, hardware, it's in German, leave me alone.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2702/fgfgwx.png

I guess what's interesting is that because the test.docx is Microsoft Office doc you would expect to be able to click on it and edit it - which I did. Seems pretty good. No more feature enhanced than Google Docs though really, which is my preferred solution currently.
12:08pm 28/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:08pm 28/08/12 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1289 posts
f*** skydrive, i don't use my hotmail any more
12:11pm 28/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3325 posts
what's the free storage limit?

i've been comparing the main 3 to decide. doesn't google drive not allow you to edit ms docs?
12:55pm 28/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8181 posts

doesn't google drive not allow you to edit ms docs

Yep works fine. I use Google Drive for personal & work and have no problems editing any type of files. When you access Google Drive through the client (on Win, OSX, etc) they just appear as normal files. A google doc file has a ".ghseet" extension which when clicked opens in your browser.
12:57pm 28/08/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3625 posts
what's the free storage limit?

7Gb (use to be 25Gb).

Only thing I find annoying about SkyDrive is it doesn't work with Office365 accounts as they seem to use a different auth system to Windows Live.
01:03pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7643 posts
I recently dumped Dropbox for Gdrive and paid for 50GB storage which was a lot more competitively priced than Dropbox.

The client and interface may not be as slick as Dropbox (yet) but works ok for me once large folders are uploaded.
01:04pm 28/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3326 posts
ok next question.

i know with DB it's just any old email account to open a DB account.

what about the other 2? can i use my work email account or do i have to create a gmail or hotmail. (i currently have my own personal accounts for both but am looking to keep work entirely separate)
01:06pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13644 posts
Google Accounts you used to be able to use any email account as a login. Basically your email account was just your username. Not sure how it is these days.

Opec, how much space are you using on that?
02:03pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7644 posts
Google Accounts you used to be able to use any email account as a login. Basically your email account was just your username. Not sure how it is these days.Opec, how much space are you using on that?

Only about 5-6 GB now. Also I made a typo, I bought 25GB plan not 50GB.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/google-drive-vs-the-competition-dropbox-skydrive-icloud/

Might be slightly out of date now though..
02:55pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20490 posts
must be an office update coz I don't have no fancypants sky drivin on my putah.
(I also don't have office)
05:02pm 28/08/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3626 posts
must be an office update coz I don't have no fancypants sky drivin on my putah.

It's a separate installer you can grab from the SkyDrive website, once installed it just grabs its updates through Windows Updates like other Microsoft applications do.
05:21pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20492 posts
It's a separate installer you can grab from the SkyDrive website, once installed it just grabs its updates through Windows Updates like other Microsoft applications do.

must mean pinky got so drunk he doesn't remember installing it
pinku said:Must have just come through as a Windows 7 update - but all of a sudden I have this:
05:25pm 28/08/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2175 posts
I had SkyDrive activated on two MS Passport accounts before they did the overhaul/new pricing structure, sup free 50GB cloud storage for life!
05:30pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13646 posts
It deffo wasn't a seperate installer - I would never install it. Somehow they've snuck it in.
05:32pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20493 posts
this is why I turn off auto update. I let it check automatically, but make it tell me when stuff is available rather than just installing random s*** whenever it wants. Partly because one night it just decided to shut down my computer while I was doing something. GG.
05:36pm 28/08/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3627 posts
It deffo wasn't a seperate installer - I would never install it. Somehow they've snuck it in.

Strange, haven't seen it come through Windows updates on any of my PC's that don't already have it installed. Generally when these type of applications hit Windows Update, they're generally presented as an optional/recommended download (like Security Essentials, Live Essentials etc) rather than a important/forced update, but yeah, haven't even seen it as an optional update.
05:43pm 28/08/12 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6160 posts
whats wrong with skydrive? 100gb for $100 year.
06:55pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11733 posts

You used to be able to up your Skydrive limit to 25GB if you linked Office 2010 with it and upload a document (might still work).

I use a combination of Skydrive, Dropbox.

Skydrive (25GB): eBooks, technical stuff and tools I find useful.
Dropbox (150GB): Photo and home movie backups.
Box (50GB): Never used it...they didn't have a desktop client though I see they do now. But only with new accounts. Existing accounts have to pay to get access (c****).
09:16pm 28/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:16pm 28/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks