We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Winamp causing massive lag on song changes?
Jerry
Queensland
4195 posts
Winamp has been working fine forever and all of a sudden when it switches songs now on my pc everything goes to s*** for about 15 seconds.

Mouse stops moving, all applications stop responding, then once the music starts everything goes back to normal. Task manager shows a spike over 4 of 8 threads when this happens.

I tried googling for info but the best advise is 'uninstall and reinstall' which i've done with 3 different versions and all the same thing. Currently using foobar2000 until I can work out what is causing it (doesn't seem like hd issue since foobar can change instantly fine)

I've disabled any web related connectivity in it, tested with firewall off - same thing. Tried disabling or minimising any features in it that cause spikes in cpu use - same thing.

Any ideas? I don't want to system restore since I don't know exactly when it started (haven't used it regularly lately)

Setup:
i7-3820, 4 Core 3.6ghz, 10MB
SSD Raid
32gb 2133mhz ram
W7 64 ultimate
music on a sata3 hdd
09:45am 11/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:45am 11/08/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10310 posts
which winamp version. done an update

(also, 2.78 for lyfe yo)
09:48am 11/08/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20780 posts
I dont think you have enough ram, try adding some more
10:17am 11/08/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4196 posts
which winamp version. done an update

(also, 2.78 for lyfe yo)
was the latest one.

Just took it back to 2.91 and that works fine

I dont think you have enough ram, try adding some more
I know! the m/b takes upto 64gb
10:32am 11/08/12 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5300 posts
people still use winamp?
10:34am 11/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20809 posts
Still using winamp 2.76. I upgraded to the latest version a little while back and f*** me dead it was s***. It had massive lag loading and swapping between songs. Even slowed the whole PC down. I dunno what the hell they're thinking but jesus christ the new winamp sucks.
11:36am 11/08/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4197 posts
people still use winamp?
mass import of bunch of mp3s, instantaneous (when working) scrolling through songs, the jump shortcut, and 0.5cm tall minimalistic view that sicks over unused space of window titles at top of screen.

What more do I want from an mp3 player? s*** ongoing performance? resource hogging? spam to tell me to buy s***? EULA agreements to agree to every week?

Optional addons are available for that s*** if i ever wanted it

I'll take care of my own folder/artist organisation thank you

Edit: I use the same line of thinking when purchasing an mp3 player.. hence i'd never f*****g buy an ipod (except classic ones which can have the entire apple system removed and replaced) - however sif purchase products that use proprietary connections (another cable type to cater for in the spares collection)

last edited by Jerry at 11:43:30 11/Aug/12
11:39am 11/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20403 posts
11:45am 11/08/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4198 posts
http://www.foobar2000.org/ > *

If i could get foobar to do this then id use it:

http://def.net.au/stuff/winamp.jpg
11:54am 11/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20405 posts
why the hell would you even bother? Just use keyboard shortcuts & stick foobar into the system tray. I leave foobar running & don't even notice it. I used to have winamp like you do now but found it got in the way all the time and if I move up to change something my dock pops up & I end up opening some random app.

This is as small as foobar gets though
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/QGL/Capture-1.png
12:17pm 11/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17078 posts
nice song whoop you f**
12:19pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20406 posts
I have worse, would you like to see?
12:20pm 11/08/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4876 posts
I've yet to find an alternative to winamp. If I could find one that is less cluttered with crap I never use (visualizations for example), supports global hotkeys and can handle korean and japanese fonts i'd be pleased.
01:22pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20407 posts
foobar has hotkeys, dunno what fonts it does because I don't read korean/japanese so don't have any songs with those fonts and you can make the window as complicated or as basic as you damn well please. I made mine look like itunes because I can.
06:08pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4201 posts
oh btw, this seems to have been fixed by unplugging a kvm i was using temporarily with usb. I noticed the same behaviour when switching pcs on it - so I took it out and everything worked fine again
07:46pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20433 posts
That was like one time I had MASSIVE slowdowns and someone on here suggested it was my USB printer (it was). USB devices are the work of the devil.
09:17pm 16/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:17pm 16/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.