We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Comparisons to TF2 and more are welcome, but we're thinking elsewhere for Blizzard's new IP
Overwatch: Street Fighter II Turned First-Person Shooter
Visceral's spin on the Battlefield series breaks the norm and introduces a story with depth. We take it for a ride!
Bringing a Story to Battlefield
iPhone kill list
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6033 posts
I know this is a yahoo news article but it's interesting nonetheless.
What would smartphones look like today if it wasn't for the iPhone?

In addition to setting the standard for other phones, the iPhone merged multiple devices – music players, cameras, and PDAs – into one gadget.

So what gadgets have we said goodbye to over the years? Keep reading to find out.

Can think of some more?

http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/photos/photo/-/14360576/the-iphone-kill-list/14360577/

edit by trog to put in a quote so there's some idea what the article is about. PLEASE DO THIS YO
08:38am 26/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:38am 26/07/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13502 posts
Haha, bit rich putting the WiFi hotspot in that list considering how long it took Apple to come to terms with tethering or anything else remotely flexible.
08:48am 26/07/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2164 posts
Very obvious.

Can think of some more?

How about, a flashlight, a spirit level and newspapers.
08:49am 26/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3057 posts
I really think that this list is a fanboi with little idea,

most of that stuff was already happening before iphone (which is what, like 5 years old) sure we might not have had the explosion of smartphones, but the hardware was already been used,

hell, name one thing (honestly) new other than marketing it at a different market that iphone has given us ........................................................what? nothing.
08:53am 26/07/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10299 posts
i have a brand new 4s for work and i regard it as inferior to my 2 year old android
08:59am 26/07/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2166 posts
yeah im not hearing good things about iphones these days.
09:29am 26/07/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2564 posts
Its cool and all how they combined ideas but i dont agree it killed other tech. I still use a digital camera and mp3 player in addition to my iphone.
09:36am 26/07/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13003 posts
what copuis said
09:40am 26/07/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11712 posts

This is literally the worst list ever. A total fanboi wrote this for sure and most of it is just blatant fabrication.
09:48am 26/07/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15418 posts
That article is s***
10:06am 26/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5868 posts
I had a samsung i900 omnia, a smartphone that rivaled the iphone 3g. I got a 3g and compared them side by side, and except for multitasking (but with how iphone back then cleverly suspended tasks) nothing the windows phone could do could compete with the iphone. I shelved the omnia.

4 years later and the 4s is not significantly different day to day than the 3g, but android has been revolutionising. Who uses siri more than once a day? Everyone i know used it the day they got their new work phone. Then never again. What a sales point! psuedo widgets? Welcome to years ago.

Hoping windows 8 phones add something that changes the whole thing.

In another thread i turned my nokia into an iphone by removing the dialpad. Same black look, same silver bezel, same centre button. Extend the display into where the numpad is, and you get an iphone. F*****g genius. 1990's design award winning.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/skythra/qgl/IMG_20111018_141601.jpg

edit: PS: Posted this from an android
10:07am 26/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7198 posts
I don't agree with the iPhone diminishing handheld sales, which you can clearly see with the amount of money Nintendo makes off the 3DS and DS. Sure it makes things a lot easier having a smartphone that can play games, but there will always be a market for handheld games as they are a dedicated piece of hardware for playing games, where as a smartphone groups together several different functions causing lack of dedication to one.
10:12am 26/07/12 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
497 posts
Did you know Steve Jobs invented speech recognition with the iPhone? Before that it didn't exist.
11:29am 26/07/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6904 posts
iphones killed ipods?

i don't think the iphone "killed" any of the listed devices. it just doubled up the functionality.
iphones didn't kill spirit levels... laser levellers did.
11:56am 26/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3060 posts
boost, fail at trolling there

speech recognition has been a major military research project for years, fighter such as the gripen and F16 have had some for of those systems in use for over 10 years

also, they had programs in the 80's that would do speech recognition

add to that the siri was a product from another company that apple bought (and even Woz has been sighted saying that before apple played with it, it was better)
12:05pm 26/07/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1606 posts
Did you know Steve Jobs invented speech recognition with the iPhone? Before that it didn't exist.

Did you know Steve Jobs invented time and space. Before the iPhone neither existed.

This article seems like a mega fanboy piece of s***. IIRC there was a phone that pre-dated the iphone that looked similar, but Apple have an awesome marketing team and marketed the iPhone very aggressively. I can't find that particular phone unfortunately.
12:15pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13006 posts
boost, fail at trolling there
lol?
it didn't look to me like he was trolling, just being facetious toward apple fans

ironically, you appear to have been trolled by a non-troll, while claiming it was a fail troll! =]
12:24pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11713 posts
12:25pm 26/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3061 posts
lol?it didn't look to me like he was trolling, just being facetious toward apple fans ironically, you appear to have been trolled by a non-troll, while claiming it was a fail troll! =]

well in that case i'm going to sheepishly be absent for a few hours now
12:33pm 26/07/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17008 posts
ironically, you appear to have been trolled by a non-troll, while claiming it was a fail troll! =]

was going to post this but i was on my phone and couldn't be f***ed
12:59pm 26/07/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7089 posts
01:58pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
848 posts
Heh, only a newcomer to this kind of stuff would think this is/could be even remotely true. What copuis and Jim said. :)
02:02pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
849 posts
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_haRAPmO1Seg/TG_oJSixEII/AAAAAAAAAbc/YEVOsuqOPv8/s1600/Nokia 6600 solutions.jpg

This Nokia 6600 phone was pretty smart. I remember having a few before this beast but nothing matched up to this really whilst most of the other stuff available was just fodder. 2003ish I think and it had most if not all bases covered.
02:37pm 26/07/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5502 posts
http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/120725/4_180ukh8-180ukjo.jpg?x=450&q=80&n=1&sig=7KKBkFbzscxK3O3dgVuPaA--
With exclusive titles and awesome ports of classic games showing up all over App Store, who wants to carry around a clunky PSP?

That's a DS you tard.
02:48pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4061 posts
IIRC there was a phone that pre-dated the iphone that looked similar
You may be thinking of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada
03:01pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3543 posts
Pretty much the only thing I'm completely grateful for the iPhone is the email integration for enterprise systems.

Please take the guys who made RIM out back and shoot and bury them :(
03:09pm 26/07/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19015 posts
yeah iphone did ALL that.. lol
03:16pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1221 posts
Pretty much the only thing I'm completely grateful for the iPhone is the email integration for enterprise systems.

Please take the guys who made RIM out back and shoot and bury them :(

but iPhones weren't the first with this, Windows Mobile had this long before iPhones, I had this on my old clunky HTC TyTN II (which was out about a year before we saw an iphone)
03:23pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3544 posts
but iPhones weren't the first with this, Windows Mobile had this long before iPhones, I had this on my old clunky HTC TyTN II (which was out about a year before we saw an iphone)

I agree it wasn't the first to do it - but it was probably the first to make it incredibly easy.

I don't care what it is, as long as its not a blackberry - I never want to support another RIM server again
05:02pm 26/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3062 posts
what was so hard about supporting a RIM sever, I mean the system was robust, and had been working for along time

(as an end user, I always like the way the blackberry worked, and I still maintain for content generation it is far better than most other products still!, I will concede that consuming contend it much better on a touchscreen phone (like an iphone, or pick a android phone)

edit>>> also, everytime i'm "f*****g" pissed off at something, i like the fact that on the berry it f*****g, or furkin works, and it doesn't ducking autocorrect
08:27pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20313 posts
My Razr V3 could beat up an iPhone

no seriously, I've thrown it at walls, windows, cement floors, trying to break it and it still works with no cracked screen. It's a tank. In the end I gave up short of smashing it with a hammer & stopped looking for an excuse to buy a new phone and just bought one "because I can".
08:39pm 26/07/12 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2107 posts
speech recognition has been a major military research project for years, fighter such as the gripen and F16 have had some for of those systems in use for over 10 years

Knight Rider had that s*** in '82 so you and the military can suck it.
09:07pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2075 posts
i cant wait to be rid of my iphone for s3..
09:30pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Rhys84au
Brisbane, Queensland
39 posts
its not the iphone that was the big thing.. it was iOS. THAT is what launched smartphones into the mainstream because of its simplicity.

the line jobs used "the computer for the rest of us" is very true of iOS based devices.. anybody reading this forum would think "its too simple" and thats true because we are all fairly tech savy. however its the idea that your grand parents/parents/retarded pet monkey could use iOS that made the iphone explode in popularity not any hardware it contained besides the jump forward in screen (retina) iphone didnt really push anything... android phones have had the vast majority of tech advances far earlier than apple.

all this coming from someone who uses apple products all day every day.. from computers to phones and tablets...
i also own windows pc's and android devices.. so i swing both ways /shrug iphones are great looking devices.. however android (with the galaxy s2 and 3 primarily) have caught up with the stylish device looks and hardware wise far exceed apple.

loving my nexus 7 also.
10:10pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Rhys84au
Brisbane, Queensland
40 posts
My Razr V3 could beat up an iPhoneno seriously, I've thrown it at walls, windows, cement floors, trying to break it and it still works with no cracked screen. It's a tank. In the end I gave up short of smashing it with a hammer & stopped looking for an excuse to buy a new phone and just bought one "because I can".

buddy of mine had a v3 and dropped in about 6-7 storeys off scaffolding while on the job. besides cracking that batteryc over thing (where you push the silver button to pop it off) it still worked fine i was quite suprised and bought one myself
10:13pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3545 posts
what was so hard about supporting a RIM sever, I mean the system was robust, and had been working for along time (as an end user, I always like the way the blackberry worked, and I still maintain for content generation it is far better than most other products still!, I will concede that consuming contend it much better on a touchscreen phone (like an iphone, or pick a android phone) edit>>> also, everytime i'm "f*****g" pissed off at something, i like the fact that on the berry it f*****g, or furkin works, and it doesn't ducking autocorrect

RIM Servers were an addon for Exchange and required special setup configurations. Updating them has always been a tremendous pain in the ass.

Also if you run it enterprise level and a handset f**** up - say stops receiving email - the blackberry book says 'reset the handset' which means securely wiping it, re creating the account on the RIM server, resetting policy and then readding the phone - It's a gigantic f***around and I'm so glad I don't have to deal with them anymore.

iPhone/Windows phones/Android phones s*** all over blackberry and their dumb system for connecting to mailservers and authentication. This is strictly from a sys admin/support point of view - I've never liked using the handsets either but hey each to their own - just don't run a RIM server.
11:03pm 26/07/12 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
813 posts
lol replaced digital cameras? im yet to see an iphone pic that was taken with anything less than full light that doesn't have hundreds of grainy pixels trying to fly at the viewer.
02:39am 27/07/12 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
498 posts
lol? it didn't look to me like he was trolling, just being facetious toward apple fans ironically, you appear to have been trolled by a non-troll, while claiming it was a fail troll! =]

hahaha best thing I've read all week
08:42am 27/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:42am 27/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.