We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Dev Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Android discussion thread #124829
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1119 posts
Who knows how to remove all the junk programs that the phone company throws on an Android to begin with?

What is the best firmware or custom rom to get for an android?
10:09am 24/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:09am 24/07/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
714 posts
forum.xda-developers.com

what phone have you got? cyanogenmod is generally the "go to" rom. the forum should have all the information you need to rooting the phone and flash away.
10:15am 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1121 posts
Thanks, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII.
10:23am 24/07/12 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1504 posts
AOKP is another great custom rom. Use the xda forums to boost your knowledge on how to get it installed and working and you'll be happy as.

http://aokp.co/index.php/releases
10:28am 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1123 posts
How about removing the s***** programs on the phone originally?
10:37am 24/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9931 posts
Too much trouble with these things, I'm considering just switching back to a phone from when before phones had f*****g operating systems that would reboot themselves half way through a phone call.
Why don't they just concentrate on getting the actual advertised technology of being able to make phone calls worked out first?
Does anyone use all the other s*** on there? They were already going too far with the stopwatch and snake game IMO, once the polyphonic ring tones and colour screens came out it all went to s***.

10:38am 24/07/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5493 posts
Thermite. Calm down.

They're no longer phones (or just phones). People who buy an andriod/iphone/wateva aren't after a phone, they're after some weird technology hybrid.... maybe like a smart-fone. People love their angry birds on a train. I can understand why people love their smart phones. Imagine having a phone, an mp3 player, a video player, a NDS/PSP, a laptop and a kindle/sony ereader in your bag.

Now imagine a smart phone which does all of that.
10:43am 24/07/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
843 posts
You want to work as my PR guy Greazy? :)
10:44am 24/07/12 Permalink
Seven
1505 posts
How about removing the s***** programs on the phone originally?

When you install the custom rom, it pretty much wipes the OS (incl. all that crap on there previously) and gives you a clean and new OS. One of the main reasons people do this.
10:51am 24/07/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
715 posts
When you install the custom rom, it pretty much wipes the OS (incl. all that crap on there previously) and gives you a clean and new OS. One of the main reasons people do this.

not to mention better performance as well.

I prefer stock android but MIUI is also a pretty unique look at android. miuiandroid.com

Don't mind the Chinese ... the roms are in complete english haha.

10:56am 24/07/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12889 posts
I'm using AOKP running ICS on my Samsung Galaxy S1.

Prior to that I was using cyanogenmod, I stopped that because I wanted to use Ice Cream Sandwich o/s.

11:09am 24/07/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36364 posts
Yep, AFAIK that is the only way to get rid of that useless cruft. It was the main reason I switched to Cyanogen - I kept running out of space on my Nexus One and was continually irritated I couldn't delete some of the in-built apps to free up space.

I'm running Cyanogen and it's pretty cool - it's nice being able to use the various apps that require root, plus being able to move (almost) any app to the SD card is nice. I don't really tax it very much as I am boring and my phone is very old and dated anyway.
11:22am 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1124 posts
AOKP is one of the more popular ones I take it?

Anyone know much about this version - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854 ?
11:30am 24/07/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12890 posts
Just be aware that every now and then an app or something wont work correctly due to the custom rom. Usually a trip to xda forums finds an easy fix.
11:35am 24/07/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8127 posts
I tried to install Jelly Bean 4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus over the weekend but had no joy installed the Android drivers.. couldn't work out how the hell to get it going.
11:39am 24/07/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
716 posts
AOKP is one of the more popular ones I take it?Anyone know much about this version - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854 ?

Resurrection Remix is fantastic. just make sure you follow all the steps and you shouldn't have a problem.
11:58am 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5834 posts
All you have to do is root your device and use titanium backup to uninstall stuff you don't like.

You don't have to go full custom rom, but rooting isn't always simple.

Though in your phone it is.
AOKP is one of the more popular ones I take it?Anyone know much about this version - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854 ?
AOKP is the open unofficial version of fully supported AOSP. AOSP things like cyanogen just get more support from the developers while AOKP get updates but without quite the official support for the backend. You have to get help from the rom dev's rather than the AOSP.

I like my SGS1 it's still fast even after a couple of years because it's been running custom roms. But things like it's poor battery life (getting 2-3 days from the same rom on a workphone SGS2) and terrible photo quality and no flash, plus the SGS2 has such a better display.

I've bought a SGS3 because i've liked the support the community has thrown behind these phones, ideal world i'd grab the nexus and upgrade nexus to nexus but i'm off timed, and i don't want a dualcore phone when the latest is a quadcore :P. I'm happy to miss out on LTE support for a quad considering the lack of networks with LTE at this point.

Bought my SGS3 out of Kogan for 650ish dollars for the blue 32gb phone delivered. It should arrive before the weekend.
12:08pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1125 posts
So I assume rooting a device can be done with steps listed here:

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s2-i9100-icsandroid-4-0/
12:30pm 24/07/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6274 posts
Too much trouble with these things, I'm considering just switching back to a phone from when before phones had f*****g operating systems that would reboot themselves half way through a phone call.
Why don't they just concentrate on getting the actual advertised technology of being able to make phone calls worked out first?
Does anyone use all the other s*** on there? They were already going too far with the stopwatch and snake game IMO, once the polyphonic ring tones and colour screens came out it all went to s***.

While the phone part of my phone is s***, the two dozen novels which I've read on it on trains/buses/couches, plus that it has a dozen games such as minecraft/simcity/etc, and has mobile internet that seems to just work everywhere allowing me to stop worrying about my spending account balances etc before going out, is absolutely frikkin fantastic.

edit: and gps maps. And a recorder camera. Hell I cut my own hair just holding the phone behind me with the forward facing camera serving as a handheld mirror yesterday, I think that I actually love my phone.
12:36pm 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5835 posts
Always roughly the same process:
1) find the root file which suits your exact software version and download it
2) Get ODIN (which works for all the samsung phones so far
3) Reboot the phone in download mode
4) Make sure keis is not running ctrl+shift+esc and kill all processes (though you'll have to install it once to get the right drivers)
5) Open odin and put the root file in PDA
6) Plug in your phone
7) Click start, clench your butt, and if all is good (you didn't put on the wrong file) then it'll download and be all good
8) Install titanium backup and backup your stuff. You can batch backup on the free version. It needs root permission
9) Install CWM backup from the market and make sure your CWM is up to date
10) Reboot into recovery and do a NAND backup.

From now on you have a restore point at any time to go back to (your nand backup) and a backup of all your games and s*** which can be restored to your new ROM without losing progress etc.

You can now uninstall bloat, install other roms etc. All from your phone without computer intervention.

Worst case scenario: You brick your phone, go into download mode again and flash a ROM through ODIN (although only a few roms support this, including samsung's official ROM).

Worst worst case: Your phone won't even go into download mode, then post back and i'll show you how to make a 201k ohm resistor using a microusb cable and jumping pins 1+4 to get into download mode :P

The worst case scenario's are actually pretty good these days. It's super hard to brick a phone even doing really dumb things.
12:38pm 24/07/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
281 posts
Who knows how to remove all the junk programs that the phone company throws on an Android to begin with?What is the best firmware or custom rom to get for an android?

Root your phone and install CheckROM RevoHD. A bit of googling around will show you how to go about it. It's the best custom ROM I've seen to far. It basically strips out all the bloatware that comes with the phone and improves battery life. Plus it's fairly basic and easy to figure out.

I'm sure there are other ones out there that do more s*** or look cooler, but I've never had an issue with CheckROM and I was a first time droid user with the galaxy S2.
12:51pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1126 posts
1) find the root file which suits your exact software version and download it

How do you find the exact version? Are we talking the Kernel version?
01:10pm 24/07/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12892 posts
Also newer phones like the SGS3 have internal firmware counters or some such that track if you have put custom firmware on your device, then flash back to stock in order to get warranty. There are ways around that though.
01:13pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1128 posts
Always roughly the same process:1) find the root file which suits your exact software version and download it2) Get ODIN (which works for all the samsung phones so far3) Reboot the phone in download mode 4) Make sure keis is not running ctrl+shift+esc and kill all processes (though you'll have to install it once to get the right drivers)5) Open odin and put the root file in PDA6) Plug in your phone7) Click start, clench your butt, and if all is good (you didn't put on the wrong file) then it'll download and be all good8) Install titanium backup and backup your stuff. You can batch backup on the free version. It needs root permission9) Install CWM backup from the market and make sure your CWM is up to date10) Reboot into recovery and do a NAND backup. From now on you have a restore point at any time to go back to (your nand backup) and a backup of all your games and s*** which can be restored to your new ROM without losing progress etc.You can now uninstall bloat, install other roms etc. All from your phone without computer intervention.Worst case scenario: You brick your phone, go into download mode again and flash a ROM through ODIN (although only a few roms support this, including samsung's official ROM). Worst worst case: Your phone won't even go into download mode, then post back and i'll show you how to make a 201k ohm resistor using a microusb cable and jumping pins 1+4 to get into download mode :PThe worst case scenario's are actually pretty good these days. It's super hard to brick a phone even doing really dumb things.

Going to try this, if I fail I'll let you all know.
01:49pm 24/07/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7951 posts
If you're running Android 4.0, you don't need to do anything to remove crapware apps. You don't even need to root. Just open the app list, long-press on the icon as if you're going to put it on your homepage, but instead drag it up to where it says "App Info" on the top right. In there is a button that says "Disable." The app will no longer run or even appear in your app list. The file remains, but it's completely disabled.

I don't remember exactly what the stock Samsung ROM is like, but if the "App Info" thing doesn't appear at the top, you can just go into System Settings> Apps> and go to the "All" tab. Click on the apps you want to get rid of and disable them.

As a fellow Galaxy S II user though, I'd recommend installing CyanogenMod. It kicks the s*** out of the stock ROM, and removes all of Samsung's stupid TouchWiz bulls***.
02:04pm 24/07/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10297 posts
How does ics run on your sgs1 toll? I'm running gingerbread on mine via darky's rom.
02:32pm 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5839 posts
How does ics run on your sgs1 toll? I'm running gingerbread on mine via darky's rom.

I've been running ICS on my sgs1 for a while. It runs beautifully. Truth be told, it's touchwiz which couldn't run on the SGS1 because it's a bloated horrible homescreen. That's why Samsung did the very d***ish move by removing software support for the phone.
How do you find the exact version? Are we talking the Kernel version?
You need to know if you're on 2.3, 2.2 or whatever. Should be listed under "Android Version".

Don't worry about kernel version as much, or baseband version so much. you'll need them later so you can take note (well, probably won't need them later) but as long as you've got the right root file for that version of android you'll be fine.

In fact lots of times you can have one nearby it and still be 'ok'. Mine is 4.0.4. Running CM9 built in may 23rd.

Just don't put like a 2.2 root file on a 2.3. Also sometimes things like 2.3.2 vs 2.3.3 matter. There's usually a new guide for each SGS2 though if you don't want to troll through xda devs (although the development there can really get you excited about the latest and greatest and make you feel good about your phone again if you start to think it's lame).

It's all pretty easy hope you find it straightforward.
07:07pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1129 posts
Ok so I've done the root thing, now backing up using Titanium Backup, I think I'm doing it right.

After the backup I I guess I throw on the new rom?

Is there any way to revert all of this?
09:24pm 24/07/12 Permalink
Seven
1506 posts
Best way to revert it all is to backup using clockworkmod recovery. It takes a while to backup, but when you recover it, it's exactly the same. Think norton ghost
09:28pm 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5843 posts
Nandroid backup from the recovery menu.

It's exactly what seven is saying.
09:34pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1130 posts
Best way to revert it all is to backup using clockworkmod recovery. It takes a while to backup, but when you recover it, it's exactly the same. Think norton ghost

Edit: Nevermind I found it, backing up the whole system via the CWM method.
09:37pm 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5844 posts
most root files include some kind of base cwm recovery on it, but then installing rommanager allows you to update it to the latest version.

To get to recovery you can either use rommanager or just turn your device off and hold power, home and volume up.

Edit: once you're on a custom rom, you might notice another option in your hold-down-power-off menu which lets you go straight to CWM Recovery

Better to get the rom manager from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager.license#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLmtvdXNoaWtkdXR0YS5yb21tYW5hZ2VyLmxpY2Vuc2UiXQ..
09:44pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1131 posts
What does the backup of your messages and contacts etc? That's probably the most important stuff, the rest can go.
09:50pm 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5846 posts
What does the backup of your messages and contacts etc? That's probably the most important stuff, the rest can go.

Oh your messages should be done via app. Although they'll be securely in your nandroid backup, you might want to import them again.

For backing them up and then restoring them after the new rom i use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yaXRlc2hzYWh1LlNNU0JhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ..

As for your contacts, they should be immediately downloaded again as soon as you enter your google account. It's all backed up at http://contacts.google.com

edit: you should also before flashing a new rom, just to make 100% sure, plug your phone in to your PC in USB drive mode and copy your backup onto your desktop/laptop. Don't be like matchfixa who backed it up to his internal storage and then wiped it all.

There's 3 storage area's in a SGS, the internal storage which is space for applications and system files, internal SD card, where your pictures from camera's, tv shows etc go, and external SD card, which is what you physically push into your phone. Anything in the Internal storage is very likely to be wiped.

Anything in the internal SD is pretty safe, but to be real sure, you can just shove it on the external SD to be 100% safe from any accidental mistakes you might decide on. However, the external SD can't often be read by clockworkmod recovery. Well not by default. When CWM asks if you want to mount SD, it's talking about the internal not the external SD.

More recent versions of CWM do both though i think. I should just reboot and check my facts. Well not on mine, but mine isn't the latest. I think the latest is all touch friendly and you don't scroll up and down using the volume keys and the home button/power button to select.
09:53pm 24/07/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20300 posts
Yep, AFAIK that is the only way to get rid of that useless cruft. It was the main reason I switched to Cyanogen

I just rooted my phone, rebooted into the recovery thing, mounted the file system as read/write & deleted the apps I didn't want. I've still got the telstra branding, but none of the stupid apps they put in there.
10:06pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1132 posts
Ok so here's what I've done so far, just to be sure I haven't skipped anything.

1. Downloaded Titanium Backup, the Rom Manager and SMS Backup Restore
2. Backed up the phone programs(?) using Titanium Backup Batch process
3. Backed up the phone via the CWM method
4. Backed up my SMS via SMS Backup Restore
5. Plugged the phone in via USB and created a new folder called Rom and copied all of the files from the Rom here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854 into a folder.

I'm currently trying to work out what folder to copy from the Phone to the PC to make sure I have a fail safe and then I'll run that Rom Manager and get it to do the hard work. I assume all this should work fine, if not let me know.

A big thank you to everyone who responded here.
10:19pm 24/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5847 posts
Well, considering you now have like 2+ backups of your stuff, you should be more than fine. If you find you missed something, make another nandroid backup of the new system, revert to the old nandroid through a restore, backup the missing stuff, then restore the new system again.

nandroid backups are boss.
10:25pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1133 posts
Any folders I have to backup on the PC?
10:33pm 24/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1134 posts
So this morning I tried to load the new Rom using Rom Manager. Got to the reboot screen bit and got the error "Can't mount /sdcard" What to do?
09:13am 25/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5849 posts
Don't use ROM manager to load a new ROM. Use recovery.
09:21am 25/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1135 posts
Well I did it and my phone won't go past the power up screen now, word.

Edit: Restored my phone back to the previous. No idea what else to do but I think I'll leave it be for the meantime.

Edit 2: Ok got it work, looks weird, might have a play around and see if I can get used to it. I read that now Jelly Bean is more popular.

Edit3: Wifi won't work.
09:58am 25/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5850 posts
Choose a well known reputable and non-experimental ROM with reported good things.

Not just some random one :P

Sounds like the ROM is wrong.

Make sure you aren't installing a SGS2 LTE rom on a SGS2 non-lte.

EG: A rom for the 9100, not the 9125, 9120, 9100T etc.
12:08pm 25/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1136 posts
I tried using this one - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854

It seemed to install correctly however when trying to enable wifi it wouldn't let me choose on in the on / off menu option.

I have a Model Number GT-l9100T Android Version 4.0.3.

I'm trying to understand it all but have to sum up with:

http://sureiscute.com/images/cutepictures/I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpg
01:16pm 25/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5854 posts
You've pretty much got nearly everything right, assuming you grabbed Resurrection_Remix_ics_V2.6.1_AOKP-M6_GT-9100.zip, then what you probably need to do is format your internal SD card and wipe your cache.

The appdata settings is probably screwing up consiering it's relevant for only for froyo or gingerbread, whereas you're on jellybean now.

So do another nandroid flash of your current state, boot your phone (or mount USB from recovery, which if you plug in your phone to your PC should allow you to access your phone) and copy again the latest nandroid you just did to your PC.

Then after that flash the .zip file again, after it's done do a format and a wipe cache/delvik cache, etc. All those options are in advanced.

It's something you only need to do once, from here on if you move up linearly (eg 4.0 - 4.1, 4.1-4.1.1, 4.11-4.2) then you'll not need to wipe your data. It's just that your data is all formatted wrong or wrong tables holding wrong information etc.

Edit: The first time is always a pain, usually from here on there's no need to lose your data and restore it back, other backing it up for safety, normally updating can be done without losing a thing. Most of the big ROMS just send updates over the air so you never have to think about it again too.
02:07pm 25/07/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2707 posts
since the title of the thread is pretty general, thought i would chime in and ask if anyone has used Jellybean yet

my Galaxy nexus got pushed JB about 2 weeks ago and holy crap its so good. Its what ICS should have been. Yes ICS was a huge leap from the previous android version but when i came over from iOS to ICS, i still had issues that really irked me.

The smoothness of JB makes it many times more enjoyable to use and just generally jizz worthy.

Take the time to flash your phones to JB if it hasn't been pushed it. Worth it.
02:10pm 25/07/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
718 posts
Been using it on my Motorola Xoom and it's s*** hawt. ICS was a massive boost compared to HC but JB just takes it to the next level. absolutely love it but I'm definitely itching to upgrade the old xoom haha.

speaking of which, Galaxy s2 CM10 (jelly bean) preview is up! Obviously might take a while for it to be able to be used as a daily rom but awesome to see some good progress considering how frustrating SGS2 has been for the devs.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29280423
02:15pm 25/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1140 posts
Tried again, can't get the resurrection remix rom working. The wifi won't work for the life of me and I don't know how to upgrade the Kernel as suggested here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1691113

Should I go for another Rom? I liked the look of the Resurrection Remix but can't live without the wifi.
10:11pm 25/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5860 posts
Find one with a kernel included, if it works, then throw on remix. I'm not sure how you've been having so many troubles lol. I flashed a SGS2 at work today just to make sure my steps were mostly right, seemed fine.
10:16pm 25/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1141 posts
Feel like trying it?

I did these exact steps as listed in the link above

-Reboot into recovery
-Wipe Data / Factory Reset
-Wipe Cache Partition
-Install the Main ROM
In recovery go to Advanced
-Wipe Dalvik Cache
-Fix Permissions
-Wipe Cache Partition
-Reboot
-If at the first boot you can't do the configuration of the google account, skip this step and continue
-When you boot into the system, it's probably that you don't have data enabled (3g, H+) just reboot
-When you boot again into the system the data will be enable and you can do the configuration of Google Account (if you don't do this before)

The wifi toggle just doesn't work.
10:29pm 25/07/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2709 posts
I got my elcheapo $150 Ainol Novo7 Aurora II today and first thing I did was drop it.

It didn't seem to do any damage but f*** me that was the quickest way to kill any excitement of getting a new toy.

The screen looks pretty good but is a fingerprint whore and just a little unresponsive. Not a lot, in fact less so than some of the name brand tablets I've tried in JB hifi but it's not as crisp as the ipad or an Asus tablet. From the little searching around I've done this afternoon firmware updates are supposed to fix that but it seems to be a complicated process to update these things so I'll have a better look at it on the weekend.

The wifi is also turning itself off and I have to reconnect intermittently, which is probably the only real gripe I have about the tablet at the moment. Hopefully firmware update fixes that as well.

Other than that everything seems to work as expected, it's fast enough, battery seems ok but haven't really used it enough to know for sure. It came with a bunch of suspicious Chinese spy apps which I promptly disabled and Angry Birds Rio.

I bought it to work as a remote control for my PC and found the perfect app for it right away. Unified Remote, it is a sexy little app with a file browser and heaps of remote options for the low low price of free. Works fantastic so far.
10:40pm 25/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5862 posts
Probably would have suggested getting the nexus tablet. I know it's more expensive, but google isn't making much of a profit on them, they're quad core crazy things with beautiful screens. Best thing of course about the nexus is that you know it will run beautifully because it's designed to be the test bed of tablets for google. If it doesn't run well on the nexus it won't be released.

Still i had a look in at your tablet on some sites, looks good and what a price!
10:46pm 25/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5863 posts
dhat, try http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=galaxys2&type=RC

Grab the top one off that list and install that. Cyanogen mod make the stable/supported rom's which later kangers use to make derivatives.

Normally best to be on a nightly build but their RC's are more stable without being crazy out-of-date.

It should include a well paired and tested kernel which shouldn't kill your wifi.
10:56pm 25/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1142 posts
That's a rom right? Thanks for the tip and help :)
11:32pm 25/07/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2161 posts
would never 'hack' my S2. From All Share to Navicon, im loving it.
12:21am 26/07/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
719 posts
would never 'hack' my S2. From All Share to Navicon, im loving it.

you realise there's samsung based roms as well right? I lasted about 2 weeks before making the switch.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529173
09:05am 26/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5866 posts
Even without being on a samsung based rom, you can get samsung packs to add to whatever rom you are on to restore all or some of the apps that came with your phone originally.

Usually more up to date and less buggy too.
09:33am 26/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1143 posts
Running the Cyanogen 9 rom, not too bad but I was sold with the Ressurection Remix if the wifi worked.

Edit: Is it possible that it is missing the Play Store?

Edit 2: When I revert back to a previous Rom it runs rather slow, any reason for this?

Edit 3: Ok so I had to download gapps, installed that via the CWM. All working ok now, pretty happy with it thus far.
12:43pm 26/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5876 posts
Good to hear, weird it was missing play store! But i suppose it happens, at least you grabbed the gapps apk. Just post any more questions you have i'll try and respond. From here it's pretty straightforward to move to other AOSP roms (like cyanogen and kangs or miui) because the kernel should support all of them.
03:30pm 26/07/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1222 posts
I was running Resurrection Remix on my SGS2, loved it as a ROM and the wifi worked no problems on mine.

I'm still waiting for a good JB ROM to release for my SGS3.

I'm running EOS JB nightlies on my Xoom, they are very rock solid, but I only update it every few days cause I can't be arsed reflashing every day.
03:33pm 26/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1144 posts
Hah so I had to go back to my old Rom again, somehow the contacts even though I've turned sync on didn't sync. Going to use Samsung Kies to backup the contacts and then put them back over.
04:12pm 26/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5877 posts
Hah so I had to go back to my old Rom again, somehow the contacts even though I've turned sync on didn't sync. Going to use Samsung Kies to backup the contacts and then put them back over.

As usual just go to http://contacts.google.com and login with your google account to see what if any are there. Else you can force a resync in settings > accounts and sync and then press the sync with your google account.
04:48pm 26/07/12 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1145 posts
Ah all good, thanks for the help though. I ended up using an app to do it all. Using CM9 rom, not too bad, better than the stock stuff. Just need to work it all out now.
09:42am 27/07/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4694 posts

I have an S3 and having dramas finding anything. It's from Telstra so loaded to the brim of all this s*** and is nearly running out of memory out of the box -_-
10:32am 30/07/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2709 posts
Just like if you ever buy a Dell/HP/whatever branded computer, if you buy an Android phone that isn't a Nexus nuke it from orbit and start fresh.
11:01am 30/07/12 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
499 posts
Can anyone recommend a voicemail application that records the message directly to your phone rather than using the carriers voicemail service?
12:09pm 30/07/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2172 posts
Whats this lag/bug issue you refer to? Again, i have no issues with my S2 out of the box.
What problems do you guys get to warrant such f*****g around?
06:44pm 30/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5896 posts
Whats this lag/bug issue you refer to? Again, i have no issues with my S2 out of the box.What problems do you guys get to warrant such f*****g around?

See for me, i see my homescreen stutter, or wait even a 1/10th of a second for email to open and i see that as being bad.

CFW makes my SGS1 buttery smooth, far far faster than my gf's SGS2. Then she see's that and gets jealous so she wants hers buttery smooth too so i install CFW on hers too and suddenly we're both happy.

Until i got my SGS3 today which also runs great, but i don't like the homescreen launcher. While i don't need to CFW to replace it, i probably will.

To be honest, it's like this: You get phone, it gets updates for 6 months in time, then telstra gets lazy and the updates come 3 months late, and you're left going, 'but i want to use X' function. iOS obviously have an advantage here, but you can negate that with about 20 spare minutes in a 2 year period by installing a firmware that gets over the air updates and runs silky smooth.

Here's another example: i was in japan and the hotel didn't have wireless. I wanted to check something like a booking but i couldn't! I bought a USB ethernet card, but it didn't work! I installed CFW and then it did. That alone was worth the 5 minutes of download that i had to steal from someone's wireless to get the firmware and a reboot to install it.

Most of the time it doesn't take an hour or two hours that poor D^ had, it normally just takes a couple of minutes.

Also one persons 'non issue' is another persons 'could be better'.
10:10pm 30/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:10pm 30/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.