ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
04:14pm 01/06/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4710 posts
According to something on reddit microsoft have put in their eula or whatever you call it that you give up the right to start a class action lawsuit against them. That aside I reckon this will be shit so I doubt i'll be changing anytime soon.
04:26pm 01/06/12 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
796 posts
Pretty cool how they demo mspaint will suck just as much with your fingers as it does with a mouse.
05:04pm 01/06/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19991 posts
According to something on reddit microsoft have put in their eula or whatever you call it that you give up the right to start a class action lawsuit against them. That aside I reckon this will be shit so I doubt i'll be changing anytime soon.

Is this the thing that almost every pre-release thing has like "This is a pre-release version, not to be used in a production environment. By using this software you agree we are not to be held responsible for any loss of data" type of thing?
05:39pm 01/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3189 posts
No:

When the PlayStation Network got hacked it reminded us that we put a lot of trust in companies to keep our data safe, and many of them don’t take enough precautions to protect it. It also prompted Sony to ensure it never got involved in a class action lawsuit again by updating the PSN Terms of Service to block them.

Sony got sued for introducing that block, but it hasn’t stopped other companies following suit. EA updated the terms for its Origin service to avoid such lawsuits, and Microsoft did the same for its Xbox Live service.

So it may not come as too much of a surprise to discover that when you install Windows 8 on a machine, the new End User License Agreement (EULA) you have to agree to also blocks class action lawsuits. Microsoft can effectively ship its latest operating system with some major flaws that potentially leave you and your data open to attack, but because you agreed to the EULA, you and the inevitable millions of other Windows 8 users can never band together and sue the company.

The new terms will impact US customers and see any action limited to small claims court or an arbitration process. Ultimately, Microsoft limits itself to damages no larger than $1,000 or whatever the arbitrator awards, plus double the attorney fees incurred by the person making the claim. With a 45-day returns policy though, it is hoping to avoid such action in as many cases as possible anyway.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/windows-8-eula-stops-class-action-lawsuits-20120530/
05:50pm 01/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6814 posts
No Whoop, this is a new thing that Sony initially placed into PlayStation 3's EULA and caused a massive storm of anger. Bioware then placed it in their EULA for Mass Effect 3 and it seems it is catching on.
05:51pm 01/06/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19992 posts
So MS can save all our private info on their servers and if some hacker gets it and ruins our lives we can't sue MS for their stupidity? Yeah, no. I hope MS doesn't get the book thrown at them over this, but the entire fucking library.
05:59pm 01/06/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15232 posts
i'm sure i read when sony first did it, that EULA's mean shit all in the courts and you can't sign your rights away.
06:07pm 01/06/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5640 posts
i'm sure i read when sony first did it, that EULA's mean shit all in the courts and you can't sign your rights away.

EULA can't contradict laws, but you need a law for it contradict before you say 'sigining away rights'.

EG: if they're selling a jumper and you get dirt on the jumper, their sign says "no returns" you can't say the jumper was faulty can you, citing that their sign was wrong.
06:55pm 01/06/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
647 posts
The whole thing looks like a larger version of the mobile Windows 7 platform mixed in with Zune.
08:08pm 02/06/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2762 posts
i used the developers preview a few months back, just briefly.

what i did notice was the incredible speed performance compared to windows 7 on same machine.

after you get rid of that metro shit it is really just windows 7 but performs far far better. I quite like.
and that is my 2 cents.
08:18pm 02/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3192 posts
Once you spend five seconds organising metro into groups and delete all that extra shit applications install to the start menu (hopefully this stops them doing that) I quite like it.
Never got around to reinstalling Windows 7 after having a play with 8, couldn't be bothered.

If you right click on 'start' in the bottom left it brings up a little menu with :

I also have numbers on top of my keyboard which start the pinned taskbar application and games are shortcuts on the desktop so it really runs well for me and I have Metro set up in groups so it is easy to find, or hit the start keyboard button and start typing the app or setting name and hit enter, nice, easy and clean.
08:23pm 02/06/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6831 posts
Eh, I'll stick with Windows 7 until they get rid of the metro tackiness. Otherwise I'll just do what I normall do, and skip each other OS.
08:41am 03/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3193 posts
Why though? Instead of a small start menu in the left corner you now have a large start menu that covers the entire screen?
09:19am 03/06/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1525 posts
Eh, I'll stick with Windows 7 until they get rid of the metro tackiness. Otherwise I'll just do what I normall do, and skip each other OS.

This is probably what I'll do. Win 7 works a treat for me without any problems at all. So I'll just keep using it.
09:31am 03/06/12 Permalink
Sip
Brisbane, Queensland
541 posts
W7 is fine for now, I see no reason to move across to 8.
09:40am 03/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3194 posts
It's a lot faster in everything, the new copy function is brilliant with pause, queing and multiple copies and deletes (like Terracopy, but I haven't had a working terracopy since xp days), and it feels a lot more polished.

However I'll be going back to Windows 7 when this copy gets to end of life, until it sells for the 100ish mark or I get it bundled with a purchase, it isn't that much better than 7.

Microsoft knows business won't upgrade to it, they are having trouble getting people from xp to 7, so why not try to shoulder into the tablet market and try to open up people to doing things slightly differently with 8 so by the time 9 comes around when people will be looking to upgrade again the path will be a little easier to walk.
10:05am 03/06/12 Permalink
Shaexen
Brisbane, Queensland
448 posts
Yeah I just settled in with w7 not making the change any time soon.
07:01pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9771 posts
Metro is here to stay and its also tied into Server 2012 so get used to it.
07:13pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20006 posts
It's windows 7 vs XP all over again. All the grumpy old bastards will be sticking with windows 7 because they hate change and all the cool kids will be using Windows 8 and the metrosexual interface.

I plan on sticking with 7 until it breaks, when it comes time to format I might try 8 for fun, then probably go back to windows 7 because I'm old and cranky and I hate change.
08:18pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4904 posts
It's windows 7 vs XP all over again. All the grumpy old bastards will be sticking with windows 7 because they hate change and all the cool kids will be using Windows 8 and the metrosexual interface.

There wasn't really a huge shift between XP and 7 for the punter, some UI enhancements, lots of eye candy and a re-architecture of a lot of underlying OS subsystems. Windows 8 they're making a lot of changes so it's a big risk for their flagship product and one that Microsoft is taking seemingly without a clear understanding of where they want to be.

Windows 8 is probably going to be awesome on touch enabled devices. Windows Server 2012 looks awesome as well.
For the rest of us that need to get work done on the desktop, I reckon it'll be quite while yet. The new Windows Runtime API has to gain enough adoption to be worth targeting as they're not going to backport in a significant way to Windows 7.
08:38pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13229 posts
Not to mention a lot more risks with the increased competitiveness of Linux in the desktop market.

Related: http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Bans+LinuxAndroid+DualBooting+on+Windows+8+ARM+Devices/article23785.htm
09:22pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4905 posts
Fedora have announced in the last few days that they're going to have Microsoft sign their first stage bootloader code, which means everything that gets loaded after that needs to be signed as well: grub...kernel...kernel modules...drivers...
It looks like it'll still be possible to recompile the kernel, but it'll be more of a pain as you'll need to sign the binaries yourself and put the key into the device firmware, or disable secure boot.

In other words, installing Linux on an ARM tablet will be a moderate PITA:
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
09:58pm 04/06/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2766 posts
its okay mental. not everyone here is stuck in the past. win7 was great and noone wanted to upgrade to it.
win8 seems to be even better.
i will never understand those few who wont bother even trying it, and simply say 'im staying with 7'

put your hand up if you still use xp
- which i do in certain environments due to software restrictions. damn software companies not updating as well. what is wrong with the world.
10:06pm 04/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3212 posts
I didn't like it to begin with and installed a start menu to it, but I got used to it pretty quickly, it's like windows 7 !plus
10:08pm 04/06/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20011 posts
i will never understand those few who wont bother even trying it, and simply say 'im staying with 7'

If honda/holden/ford bring out a new version of your car, will you buy it even though nothing is wrong with your current car and it still does everything you need it to do? If someone builds a better house than you, will you tear down your house and copy it?

Not everyone feels a need to live their life on the cutting edge of technology. Heaven forbid someone has a life that revolves around their children/spouse and all their computer gets used for is email and checking the weather/fishing report.
10:12pm 04/06/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2053 posts
So MS can save all our private info on their servers and if some hacker gets it and ruins our lives we can't sue MS for their stupidity? Yeah, no. I hope MS doesn't get the book thrown at them over this, but the entire fucking library.

Just to be clear, they're not saying that you can't sue them, they're just saying that you can't sue them in a class action lawsuit, you would have to sue them individually.

Personally I'd hope that next time it is warranted, a company that has tried to forbid them actually does get sued in a class action and the courts rule that the EULA is invalid and they can't forbid it.
11:39pm 04/06/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2892 posts

I plan on sticking with 7 until it breaks, when it comes time to format I might try 8 for fun, then probably go back to windows 7 because I'm old and cranky and I hate change.

not really, xp worked, then vista came, and sucked all sorts of hairy balls, then 7 came as something that worked (like xp) yet would cope with the higher end gear (like vista but without the suckyness)

i've been using W8 on the media PC, and metro makes a little sense in that use, but on a multiscreen PC it would give me the shits imo, I really do think however that there will no doubt be a setting that turns metro off, and gives you a start menu down the track
12:00am 05/06/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18776 posts
the jump from xp to win 7 was massive. win7 is actually stable.
12:09am 05/06/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2894 posts
was it really a jump, or was it a stumble past vista?
02:00pm 05/06/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
22 posts
I have used the last two releases (Consumer Preview and Release Preview) and noticed a significant improvement in quality et al, so I can safely assume that it will only get better when it is released.

As far as the login screen is concerned; if I bought Windows 8 I'd have to disable the way in which the login screen works (i.e. the flicking of the image up to reveal the username and password facility) as I find that annoying. I know you can do it - I've just not had the time to do so yet. :-)

I suppose the main reason why I'm not exactly enamoured with it is main because it's different. I could get used to it but I don't use it often enough to do so.

The feature in the start menu in Vista onwards that you talked about it extremely useful and I am glad that they continued it on into Windows 8. I frequently use it in Windows 7 and a similar facility in Linux Mint 13.
07:42am 08/08/12 Permalink
Drummo
Melbourne, Victoria
171 posts
... until it sells for the 100ish mark...

IIRC there was a post somewhere about upgrading from older OS's to windows 8 for an extremely reasonable ammount.

if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

Direct link to the blog post for clarity.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx
08:07am 08/08/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
24 posts
Ok so just installed the RTM
Noticed a few minor differences from previews.
The windows start splash screen is now just the new windows logo with the little spinny dots beneath it. No text.
Gotta say I'm pretty impressed at how well it all works.
06:33am 11/08/12 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
515 posts
Yeah I'm just adamant about upgrading with the whole gaming thing yet. I was very anti Windows 7. Until I found RT7.

But then I realized with a bit of effort re-working VLite or RT7 (http://www.rt7lite.com/) you could get 7 down and get rid of 'a lot of the stuff' to a decent install size. Just I like using the slimmed down version of Windows 7 on the solid state drive. What with the capacities being 64 gig and 120 gig for a price point. http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/solid-state-drives-c-107_135.html?sort=2a

I wanna make my Windows install small so I can fit different game installs on. (Don't mention the Steam folder size problem)

If Windows 8 has a very specific custom install options you've got me.

Also Gabe Newell and Notch don't like the look of Windows 8 so I really don't want to install the thing -- yet anyway. But I'm game and as long as I can get rid of and uninstall the Metro UI (i.e: Totally uninstall the thing) then you've got me. Also if the UAC is a shit load better. Cause Windows 7 Professional seems to be the one that has 'that stuff' AFAIK.

Mojang boss joins Valve and Blizzard in concern over Microsoft's new OS

Mojang
Markus "Notch" Persson, the creator of Minecraft and founder of Mojang, has echoed Valve and Blizzard on the negative repercussions of Windows 8 for developers.

In an interview with the Reddit community, Notch predicted a bright future for independent game developers as long as there are "open and free" platforms to support their work. However, he believes that Microsoft's plans for Windows 8 could be a serious hindrance.

"If Microsoft decides to lock down Windows 8, it would be very, very bad for Indie games and competition in general," he said. "If we can keep open platforms around, there's going to be a lot of very interesting games in ten years, mixed in with the huge AAA games that we all love."

The debate around Windows 8 picked up after Valve's Gabe Newell voiced his concerns at the recent Casual Connect conference, calling the new OS, "a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space." Blizzard's Rob Pardo agreed with Newell via Twitter, claiming that Windows 8, "is not awesome for Blizzard either."

Also I really don't like the sound of this:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-microsoft-is-killing-the-traditional-desktop-in-windows-8-opinion/

last edited by Eorl at 10:15:42 12/Aug/12
04:55pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19733 posts
Theres just not compelling reason for me to want to upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out. I mean, XP to Windows 7 was a pretty significant upgrade, but Windows 7 to Windows 8 looks incremental at best, and a step backwards at worst.
05:15pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
516 posts
Also how big is the default Windows 8 Install size, of course minus Windows Media Player and all that stuff?

Can someone screenshot the Windows 8 folder properties information and paste it here?
05:25pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
737 posts
Windows%20Folder.png

That was a standard install sorry. I didn't change anything.
08:25pm 11/08/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9780 posts
I mean, XP to Windows 7 was a pretty significant upgrade

Really ? A new GUI, windows+tab and an artificially locked in DX11 ?

Windows NT to XP sure.
09:07pm 12/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1632 posts
Most laws, or UK based laws at any rate, are all based on reasonability, so if you have something that a court might deem as unreasonable then it'll get discarded - things like contract clauses preventing the client from suing in the event of contract breach or similar - it's nonsense. Of course if you're attempting to start a class action law suit when the provider hasn't breached the contract that might be a different story.
02:28am 13/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3411 posts
If you're running Windows 8 with an ATI card with the release preview drivers to get Hdmi audio out working with surround sound not stereo:

The windows driver is stereo only and the release preview doesn't include the audio driver
head to realtek and get the ati hdmi sound driver r2.70 (or later)
If that doesn't work and gives you 'cable unplugged'
download the windows 7 catalyst drivers
extract them
in device manager point it to the extracted catalyst drivers.

Now I can watch Blurays in 7.2 sound again.
07:18am 15/08/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
26 posts
Windows 8 is FOR newbies & casual users. It is for users who want the best in customization in windows. It has good eye-candy, and will be easy to learn & understand for new PC users.

Windows 8 is NOT FOR power users, old-school windows users, professionals, geeks & DEFINITELY not for Enterprises (why did they even make an Enterprise version of it?).
07:09am 16/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20820 posts
windows8.jpg
07:15am 16/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5964 posts
windows8.jpg

Missing windows 2000. Because if it was there it'd be SHIT GOOD GOOD SHIT GOOD

also windows 95 was good compared to 3.1/3.11

PS: The RC for 8 is shit, it punishes you for having more than 1 monitor, it punishes you for running any non-metro standard app, and metro apps don't workflow well because you can't run more than 1 on a screen afaik which is how everyone uses apps in a windows environment.

Really struggling not to be angry every time my PC boots (although i've got win7 on another drive while i try and teach myself all the normal ways to do things again...)

People mention enterprise, but even small businesses couldn't use this as an OS.

Also it doesn't handle 4 monitors at all (crashes but i assume that's a driver/other issue) on 2+ monitors metro is on primary screen, and desktop is on remaining screens, each screen has a start bar which is independant. I tried to enable "SPAN" the nvidia mode for running 3 monitors as 1 hoping to overcome the terrifying interface and that didn't work.

Overall it feels a long way from being done, and it actually feels like two complete different operating systems. Metro as one and Desktop as another. But Desktop is the naughty corner for choosing an app which wasn't developed and sold through the metro interface.
02:03pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Clubby
Brisbane, Queensland
883 posts
Office 2013 Preview also up.
02:09pm 16/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3416 posts
I have multi monitors and its not a problem? The developer preview was shit, but the release is a lot better, takes a little while to get used to not going to far up with the mouse when clicking back in a browser, etc but I expect that to be better come proper release.

Right click on the little start box in the bottom left corner and hit control panel. Go to programs and set all your defaults to non Metro apps.

In a Metro app, move the mouse to the top center of the screen and a hand will appear. Drag it down and to the left or right. Open another Metro app (including the desktop) and there will be a line separating them, drag until they are where you want them to be.

Windows+q is handy (brings up expanded start with all your apps), organise your Metro screen and get rid of all the extra crap apps install (they will still be accessible by hitting start and typing them, or windows +q, or pressing apps on the right)
02:15pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7301 posts
What would yield better results, a Windows 7 lite version, or Windows 8? People keep talking about how Windows 8 offers a quite reasonable amount of stability and increased performance, but can you get that same performance from running a lite version of Windows 7 on an SSD and still keep the classic menu?
02:31pm 16/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5967 posts
I have multi monitors and its not a problem?
With two monitors, one is metro, one is desktop. Metro and desktop run programs differently, although you can have shortcuts to desktop programs from metro. It looks terrible. With three monitors it occasionally crashes, and with 4 monitors it goes into a loop where only a black screen is shown on one (instead of metro) and then it corrects itself by resetting, but then eventaully it just restarts
Right click on the little start box in the bottom left corner and hit control panel. Go to programs and set all your defaults to non Metro apps.
Instantly like windows vista, a big change implemented that you have to reverse. You have to try and run programs in a legacy mode to get them to behave in a way that will actually have some workflow.
In a Metro app, move the mouse to the top center of the screen and a hand will appear. Drag it down and to the left or right. Open another Metro app (including the desktop) and there will be a line separating them, drag until they are where you want them to be
Useful information. I'll be testing this at home later, but because it's not intuitive, if i tried to explain this to a CEO (of the bluecollar engineering firms i contract to) then they'd just look at me blankly and then ask for windows xp or 7 back.

I still can't understand how you say multi-monitors isn't a problem? It's two separate interfaces, like if OSX was on one monitor and WINXP was on another.. I mean we're only into 'release candidate' stage, so there's clearly room for improvement.

I installed the nvidia driver, and my screens work no better.
02:33pm 16/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1204 posts
For those of us with Technet accounts, the Windows 8 RTM is live.
03:51pm 16/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3417 posts
I don't have any problems with crashing with two monitors plus tv. They all show the desktop plus what ever application I have on that screen.

I don't really use Metro though, I just use it as a fullscreen start menu with widgets on it (calendar, weather and email ticker). On a tablet I would use some of the apps, but I'm not so only time I see Metro is when I'm searching for a little used app, or starting office which isn't any slower or anything than a little start menu.

With the full release I'd hope that when you install something like VLC it selects the correct defaults instead of missing some. That irks me.

I guess it would be intuitive on a tablet, but like I said I don't really use Metro apps, it is handy having the metro music app split screen with the desktop/other app on a single monitor at my friends drinking sessions though.
04:05pm 16/08/12 Permalink
KungFuCamel
Brisbane, Queensland
587 posts
I downloaded Enterprise this morning through my TechNet account. Installed very quickly on my MacBook Pro - native resolution (retina) looks pretty insane but text is still readable when set to 150% (not as bad as say Portal 2 or TF2). Have to wait till I get home to activate it as it's trying to connect to my volume license server at work and won't activate. You have to activate Windows before you can personalise a few things. Will be interesting to see how Hyper-V is on it.
04:10pm 16/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1206 posts
I've spent 10 minutes with Windows 8 now and all I can think is, it shouldn't be called Windows 8, it should be 'Windows Mobile' or something.

For serious for a second.... even MacOS is more intuitive than this shit with a keyboard and a mouse...
05:39pm 16/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5969 posts
I tried starcraft on win8, it was miserable. All the places on the screen which switch applications and stuff all are over the top of the game. Alt tabbing out of the game is now mandatory if you click near the top left of the screen. FUN
06:45pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7303 posts
I tried starcraft on win8, it was miserable. All the places on the screen which switch applications and stuff all are over the top of the game. Alt tabbing out of the game is now mandatory if you click near the top left of the screen. FUN
Wait so games aren't even full screen? So when you run a game you actually have GUI buttons above that are enabled? Jeez that is bad.
07:53pm 16/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3418 posts
Not on any game I've played - borderlands, crysis 2, deus ex hr, duke nukem forever, prototype and skyrim.
07:54pm 16/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5973 posts
Wait so games aren't even full screen? So when you run a game you actually have GUI buttons above that are enabled? Jeez that is bad.

No the game is full screen, but if you click in the top left corner with the mouse (which you use in a RTS) then it'll change to another window.

That's not possible in any of the games mental listed, as your curser stays in the middle and your view changes.

I should also have mentioned that the button isn't exactly visible, it's hiden, it's normally hidden until you mouseover. If you mouseover it does that artifacting thing that happens when a fullscreen in DX9 and a window like skype or MSN pops up and colour distorts..

Edit: happens in d3 too.
08:31pm 16/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3419 posts
I played the D3 beta on Windows 8 and that never happened to me.
09:32pm 16/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8147 posts
I just installed this on my VM (VMWare Fusion4 OSX) and it runs pretty damn smoothly. I actually like the Metro overlay and the other UI changes MS have made. About to install VS2010 so we'll see how it goes after putting on that behemoth.
11:20am 17/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5975 posts
I played the D3 beta on Windows 8 and that never happened to me.

Want a round of applause?
12:26pm 17/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3420 posts
Was merely pointing out that the issue you had shouldn't be there in the full version with proper drivers for everything, no need to be a rude cunt.
03:32pm 17/08/12 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2800 posts
For those of us with Technet accounts, the Windows 8 RTM is live.

ivy_mike am i correct when i think that the RTM is only valid for 90 days and cannot be upgraded? After 90 days it shuts down etc.
I am running the release preview on a desktop and have had a few minor issues but nothing too dramatic.
Seems to continually drop drivers like keyboard, mouse and network.
Have not had any issues with 3 screens though like someone else has said above.
03:54pm 17/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8149 posts
My MSDN shows full Windows 8 with license keys.
04:24pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7309 posts
Guess I'm going to have to give this a shot over the weekend, was due for a re-image of Windows 7 but with the lite OS.
04:30pm 17/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1209 posts
andrewus, it's 'Windows 8' (not release preview, not beta, the 'release to manufacturer' edition (ie, here's Windows 8) version.

It (as far as the technet downloads site are concerned) comes in two key flavours, 'enterprise' and 'pro'
04:38pm 17/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3421 posts
I think he is talking about:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

Aimed at developers, but open to all, the Windows 8 Evaluation for Developers gives users a full, unrestricted copy of the Release To Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 8, free to use for a 90 day period. Designed for use by those who can't afford a subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) or other software licensing schemes, it allows administrators to test out their systems and software for compatibility before the general release of the operating system in October.

the version of Windows 8 on offer is the Enterprise Edition

Secondly, once your 90 days are up there's NO UPGRADE ROUTE to a final release: the software will simply stop working, and you'll have to create a fresh installation of a new operating system

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2012/08/16/microsoft-win8-trial/1

The technet version is the usual rtm deal.

Also Amd Catalyst 12.8 is now available including Windows 8.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx
07:02pm 17/08/12 Permalink
TripleX
Sydney, New South Wales
3 posts
The tiled interface leaves alot to be desired. I think they have made a mistake in not allowing users to default boot into desktop mode.
09:57pm 17/08/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
27 posts
Apparently, windows 8 supports 16bit apps. That means you can use legacy apps & games without requiring emulators like dosbox.
07:19am 18/08/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
07:19am 18/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks