AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
Managing Steam backups - how do you do it?
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1014 posts
Just wondering how some of you guys handle Steam backups, if you even bother anymore.

Initially I used the backup tool, (and still do for Source games) but found it very slow an unreliable.

Up until recently I've been manually copying the files from steamapps/common/ folder - and when I do have to re install I simply commence the download => quit steam => copy my backed up files into that folder and restart Steam. Steam would then figure it out.

Problem is, now they have changed their process. When you are downloading a game it dumps the files in steamapps/downloading/*appid*/ folder. Its a pain in the ass because if I try to replace the contents of my download folder with my backup it just re downloads the whole thing anyways.

I know its not a big deal these days, especially cause I have a massive d/l limit. I have a whole bunch of games I only install when a having a LAN, which I am doing this weekend, and it sucks to have to re download a game I'll most likely use for the night and already have the files for. (In this case BF2)
11:34pm 23/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:34pm 23/05/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7869 posts
I have Steam on a separate drive, so I don't think about it. When I format my computer, I just open Steam up again from the same old directory it's always been in and away it goes.
11:44pm 23/05/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7864 posts
Prolly a silly question:
Do you backup the .ncf files as well that sits under "\Steam\steamapps" ?
This is seperate to the actual content/data files you are describing.
11:52pm 23/05/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1015 posts
Yea Midda that is a good idea, I like to have certain games running from my SSD though so probably can't do it that way.

Out of curiosity though, how does it work that way? Do you just install Steam over the top of the existing one and install games as you need them - which uses your saved files? I mean, surely Steam needs to install a bunch of crap elsewhere to integrate with Windows? The reason I ask, is because if you install steam and then have to re install each game you'll probably run into the same issue I'm having now.
11:55pm 23/05/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1016 posts
Prolly a silly question:
Do you backup the .ncf files as well that sits under "\Steam\steamapps" ?
This is seperate to the actual content/data files you are describing.

In the past I've literally just grabbed the folder containing all the game files and backed that up and its been fine. I've never tried with the .ncf files. Probably too late for me now - but I might test it with some small games.

Can you elaborate a bit please, what do you mean by it seperates the content/data files?

Edit:
I just tested removing and replacing Botanicula and this game skipped the download folder and went straight to common so my old method worked. Perhaps only some games use this new "Downloading" folder.

Double Edit: POW!
Tried to test on another couple of games but they didn't have NCF files so now I'm confuse.
11:58pm 23/05/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7005 posts
Out of curiosity though, how does it work that way? Do you just install Steam over the top of the existing one

I've never had to micro-manage backups. Basically get your old Steam folder, copy/move it to whatever drive you want and run the existing Steam.exe. It takes care of everything.
01:22am 24/05/12 Permalink
eXemplar
Brisbane, Queensland
2750 posts
I don't, if I wanna play the game again I'll just re-download.
01:52am 24/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6702 posts
I use Steam Mover that places all my games onto my non-OS drive, makes things run a lot smoother and like Midda, don't have to worry.
10:13am 24/05/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20496 posts
I just use the backup thingy and I've never had any issues with it not working.
10:17am 24/05/12 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4638 posts

I have never backed up a steam game, in fact I just re-download the games when I want to play them, my connection is fast enough to get even the bigger hogs quickly.
10:30am 24/05/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7870 posts
Yeah, the Steam Mover is handy, it's how I get individual Steam games onto my SSD without headaches.
10:30am 24/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4877 posts
I just use the backup thingy and I've never had any issues with it not working.

Ditto, OP says it's unreliable? Sure, it's not the fastest way in the world to do a backup but I've never seen it fail.
10:44am 24/05/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
701 posts
I have used the back up tool with out issue.
02:00pm 24/05/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1017 posts
Ditto, OP says it's unreliable? Sure, it's not the fastest way in the world to do a backup but I've never seen it fail.

So many times I've, and some friends have, used it and it just hasn't worked. Granted I haven't tried in a couple of years, but the .exe was always either corrupt or some other file was missing. Got me really, really frustrated at times.

And it took so much longer to backup and restore than manually copying and replacing. I might have to check out the Steam Mover some of you guys mentioned or just use the Backup method for games I know I will be using again, the others I wont even both with.
03:07pm 24/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36235 posts
http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon11.gifI have never backed up a steam game, in fact I just re-download the games when I want to play them, my connection is fast enough to get even the bigger hogs quickly.
yeh, it's never really occurred to back up. It's one of the benefits of a) cloud!!! and b) having fast local mirrors with unmetered downloads.
08:36am 29/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:36am 29/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close