We five mobile gaming packs to giveaway that include a Sony Xperia Z3, a PS4, a mount for your Dualshock controller and a pop-up gaming tent!
Sony Xperia Z3 Mobile Gaming Giveaway Featuring a PS4!
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Google Drive
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20646 posts
Saw this via FB of all places

Looks like google are getting into the 'cloud' storage game

Official site - https://drive.google.com/start

Today, we’re introducing Google Drive—a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Whether you’re working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/introducing-google-drive-yes-really.html

09:05am 25/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:05am 25/04/12 Permalink
BEHUB
New South Wales
2134 posts
Your Google Drive is not ready yet

Like always i get excited to see new google products only to be let down by the delay in getting them to apps accounts :(
09:09am 25/04/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20647 posts
yeah it was the same for me :(
09:10am 25/04/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3854 posts
Your Google Drive is not ready yet

i get the same.. i would say it available to Americans only.. as always.
09:38am 25/04/12 Permalink
BEHUB
New South Wales
2135 posts
i get the same.. i would say it available to Americans only.. as always.

It's not that. They are rolling it out over a few weeks like most of their product launches / changes. It's just a waiting game.
09:41am 25/04/12 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
466 posts
What took them so long?
09:43am 25/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9472 posts
Mine didn't say 'not yet ready' but it isn't ready. Maybe they changed the message.

I saw the article on news.com.au saying you could get 16 Terrabytes, which would be a perfect amount for me, however then I read: "$2.49 a month for 25 gigabytes to $800 a month for 16 terabytes"

Pay for a google service? For a little over $800 I could buy 16TB worth of drives and sort something out.

last edited by thermite at 10:34:16 25/Apr/12
10:29am 25/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6370 posts
HeardY just had to edit that link so it would actually work, something on Trog's to do list I presume with https.

Anyways, looks really good, just hope it won't die off like Google+. You get 5GB for free, though not sure if the plans are cheaper compared to other places like Dropbox. I would love to use Cloud Storage but it's useless to me at the moment with my terrible upload speeds. Once the NBN comes through it will definitely be the way to go for file storage.
10:37am 25/04/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3855 posts
just hope it won't die off like Google+

Google+ is not dead. as a matter of fact the new updates they have done it it are really good.

11:22am 25/04/12 Permalink
gamer
2422 posts
Dropbox killer?
11:35am 25/04/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2604 posts
It needs to have some pretty damn good features and integration with mobile phones and google apps to touch dropbox.
11:54am 25/04/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7800 posts
You get 5GB for free, though not sure if the plans are cheaper compared to other places like Dropbox.

Google's current pricing for adding storage space to your account blows Dropbox out of the water. $5 a year gets you an extra 20GB. $20 a year for 80GB.

Hopefully they keep it pretty similar.
12:04pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13083 posts
Since noone has mentioned it there was a way to access your GMail storage (7GB) via FTP for about as long as GMail has been available. Don't know if you still can. I tested it once and it worked, but yeah, probably a bit risky since it wasn't official.
12:06pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7801 posts
I checked the pricing, and I'm a bit disappointed. I was already on the 20GB for $5/year plan, but it's telling me that this plan is no longer available. Next cheapest is $2.49 a month for 25GB. Still a lot cheaper than Dropbox, but significantly more than they used to charge.
02:30pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5797 posts
My Gmail is just a little over 9GB now, With ~700mb used.
02:33pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11638 posts

5GB is pretty underwhelming...With Skydrive, I've got 25GB of storage (for anyone who hasn't logged into their Skydrive for a bit do so now. If you don't confirm your 25GB of storage they will drop you back down to 7GB). With Box I've got 50GB storage. And with Dropbox I've got 32GB of storage. Hopefully they offer upgrade solutions similar to dropbox where you get bonuses for referrals, etc.
05:33pm 25/04/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
958 posts
Interesting article here, I'm normally all over Google's products but this makes it a bit of a turn off for me. You guys should def have a read.

The last sentence makes all the difference. While these rights are limited to essentially making Google Drive better and to develop new services run by Google, the scope is not defined and could extend far further than one would expect.

Simply put: there’s no definitive boundary that keeps Google from using what it likes from what you upload to its service.

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-far-does-google-drives-terms-go-in-owning-your-files/75228
05:43pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11639 posts

Interesting. One of those things where it will probably never be an issue, but a worry that it needed to be in the T&C in the first place.
05:59pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11640 posts
10:02pm 25/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19782 posts
Simply put: there’s no definitive boundary that keeps Google from using what it likes from what you upload to its service.
More like: If you don't want people stealing your s***, don't put it on the internet. Or encrypt your stuff and host it yourself.
10:18pm 25/04/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6929 posts
I use SpiderOak as a secure alternative to Dropbox, as their focus is on having zero knowledge or access to your actual data by using client-side encryption prior to sync/upload.
01:17am 26/04/12 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20648 posts
I received an email overnight... my drive is active now.
07:21am 26/04/12 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
2195 posts
Like always i get excited to see new google products only to be let down by the delay in getting them to apps accounts :(

It's such a stupid strategy on their part when the apps users are basically their alpha users and brand advocates.

I think it's reasonable for cloud services to analyze my uploaded data in order to undersand how I'm using their service so they can make it better.
07:46am 26/04/12 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
691 posts
I received an email overnight... my drive is active now.

Me too.

Google Drive is the new home for your Google Docs, files, and folders. Learn more
Get started with 5 GB free.
Create, share, and manage files.
Sync files from your computer.
Access on the go with the mobile app.
08:01am 26/04/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
589 posts
Since noone has mentioned it there was a way to access your GMail storage (7GB) via FTP for about as long as GMail has been available. Don't know if you still can. I tested it once and it worked, but yeah, probably a bit risky since it wasn't official.

I remember this! It worked well ages ago for a long while, I think it spliced the file/s up to dodge the max file size limit imposed, behind the scenes, or something like that and the shell/proggy that you installed created an accessible drive in My Computer. Last I heard Google +bjorkslapped that notion.
08:27am 26/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5798 posts
Yep, my email came in over night as well.
Seems to have Auto-Transfered anything I had in Google Docs over as well.

Cant download it's syncing program at work to check it out though, it also has Phone apps to be had... but my phone is a work phone... and cant do that either...
08:43am 26/04/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7008 posts
I can't download the PC software because the stupid link takes me back to my drive, not the download page :/
09:01am 26/04/12 Permalink
gamer
2425 posts
Wow are you f*****g serious? This Google application does not support Proxy servers? How the f*** did they launch this without Proxy support?
09:05am 26/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5799 posts
https://sites.google.com/site/sgrattan/pictures/Gmail storage.PNG

Wonder if Google will ever combine your storage allowances to let me use my spare Gmail space in Drive. Also, it got bumped. Just over 10 GB now.
10:07am 26/04/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7009 posts
I can download it via IE but not in Chrome? How the f*** did they manage that?

Also, no proxy server support. The f***?
10:19am 26/04/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2099 posts
Installed. Should be good for easy, automatic transfer of uni files without having to manually email em all.
12:28pm 26/04/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
593 posts
I remember this! It worked well ages ago for a long while, I think it spliced the file/s up to dodge the max file size limit imposed, behind the scenes, or something like that and the shell/proggy that you installed created an accessible drive in My Computer. Last I heard Google +bjorkslapped that notion.

This - Gmail Drive was it IIRC.

In short, it creates a shell name--a space extension that creates a virtual file system around the account. This lets you treat those 5 gigs (at the time of writing) as a standard remote drive. You can drag and drop files into the drive, or use standard cutting and pasting. When you add a file, it sends an e-mail to your Gmail account with the file as an attachment. If you delete a file from the virtual drive, it deletes the associated e-mail, as well.
09:49am 27/04/12 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1608 posts
Does it just use the proxy settings in ie like a lot of apps do these days?
10:42am 27/04/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3997 posts
lol proxies, what is this the 90's
02:15pm 27/04/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7012 posts
Nah it requires you to unblock a bunch of domains.
02:23pm 27/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:23pm 27/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.