AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
FreeNAS Question
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11633 posts

I'm wanting to create a FreeNAS 8 backup box at home with 4x 3TB HDD's with HDD 1,2 striped and HDD 3,4 striped with the 2 arrays then mirrored. Is this possible in FreeNAS 8? I can't seem to figure out where to do this in the interface. I was sure back in FreeNAS 7 this was possible.
11:14am 23/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:14am 23/04/12 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7689 posts
I'm sure you can

I'm doing one tomorrow if you don't have an answer by then
11:17am 23/04/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6784 posts
So basically you want a RAID0+1 array?
Yes, it's possible.
11:19am 23/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11634 posts

Hmmm...maybe it's because I'm using UFS. I'll try with ZFS.
11:39am 23/04/12 Permalink
stinky
USA
3706 posts
why would you do that for a backup box?? just stick with the standard ZFS RAID or RAID5.
12:13pm 23/04/12 Permalink
Morgan
Brisbane, Queensland
3820 posts
You can do it but not through the interface:

zpool create tank mirror ds0 ds1
zpool add tank mirror ds2 ds3

Then import through the interface.

Edit:

I learnt how to do this here:
http://forums.freenas.org/archive/index.php/t-1815.html

Turns I missed the 'zpool export' command.

last edited by Morgan at 13:15:59 23/Apr/12
01:14pm 23/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11635 posts

why would you do that for a backup box?? just stick with the standard ZFS RAID or RAID5.
Last time I used Raid 5 I had 2 drives of the 4 die within 2 hours of each other. It was completely gay...
You can do it but not through the interface:
Sweet, trying now.
03:30pm 23/04/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12878 posts
Last time I used Raid 5 I had 2 drives of the 4 die within 2 hours of each other. It was completely gay...

sounds like something on your end killed those drives, perhaps a UPS would be a good investment
03:33pm 23/04/12 Permalink
gamer
2418 posts
JBOD for backup box.
04:14pm 23/04/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6920 posts
Last time I used Raid 5 I had 2 drives of the 4 die within 2 hours of each other. It was completely gay..

Similar situation here. I had my machine lose power during the verify/rebuild after one HDD died. Lost the array and had to buy R-Studio to recover the data from two of the remaining uncorrupted drives, took many many many hours ...

Given a verify/rebuild can take hours with onboard/software RAID during which time it is extremely fragile and you're not even supposed to cleanly reboot until it's finished, I'm never touching software RAID again. Would go a hardware controller, but that's some serious $$$.
perhaps a UPS would be a good investment

Costly for a decent one, and with its own risks. Bought a few regular $150-200 ones for work for non-critical applications. One of them actually smoked and caught fire on its own. A similar UPS I had at home blew the motherboard of my PC when the power cable was knocked.

last edited by parabol at 17:09:19 23/Apr/12
05:04pm 23/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11636 posts

sounds like something on your end killed those drives, perhaps a UPS would be a good investment
Yeah possibly. At the moment I'm playing around with FreeNAS in a VM until I get the setup I want. I might even with with Drive 1/2 as a mirror and Drive 3 and 4 as Raid 0 and use Drive 1/2 for my stuff I really want to keep which will be backed up to the Interwebs as well. Drives 3 and 4 can be for stuff I don't really care about like Music backups, TV backups, etc.
http://forums.freenas.org/archive/index.php/t-1815.html
Also this totally worked :)
05:09pm 23/04/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11637 posts

Dammit, stupid editing timer...now to figure out why Apple screwed with AFP. Can't use FreeNAS with Time Machine unless I make a lot of changes it seems. Fail Apple...fail...
05:22pm 23/04/12 Permalink
Morgan
Brisbane, Queensland
3821 posts
I think ZFS as software raid is fine. Windows raid and the like is a lil' different though. I think a bunch of disks (6-8) in RAIDZ2 and one/two spare disks and you'd be laughing (plus an ssd for cache :P). FreeNAS will be super awesome when it gets dedupe.
05:35pm 23/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:35pm 23/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close