We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Backup software?
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9218 posts
I'm trying to backup one external drive to another. I remember this used to be easier, but it keeps f*****g up.

I normally use TeraCopy to copy files, but it seems to f*** up with an error like "Write error: the device is not ready". But the device is soooo ready, I can access it via windows explorer and everything, and there is no 'retry' option or anything like that, I don't know why that happens.

I tried ultracopier but that seems to just drop to 0b/s and doesn't respond to me hitting 'pause' or anything... really weird.

I also tried 'winmerge' which is great for telling me which files haven't been copied - but it uses the default windows copying mechanism, which also f**** up.

I think it's got something to do with USB pooping itself for a split second and everything falls to s***. I'll try a different USB hole.

Any tips?
10:32pm 16/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:32pm 16/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3425 posts
robocopy could be an option but nothing you mentioned is really "backing up" as such, shadow copy protect is the s*** for doing backups because you can boot backups as virtual machines but it does cost. Anyhoo, maybe try robocopy and i'll go back to drinking.
10:40pm 16/03/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6821 posts
Any tips?

Don't use your case's USB ports - the connectors and cables are usually s***.

Plug your devices directly into the motherboard at the back.
10:56pm 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9219 posts
I got a new theory brewing, one of the drives was plugged into USB 2.0 the other into USB 3.0, I think there's some funk that happens if you do that.
11:14pm 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9223 posts
Yeh no troubles with both plugged into usb 2
01:06am 17/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19535 posts

i've never had one single problem with my case's USB ports, except for that time I tripped over a cable plugged in and snapped the connector.

Yeh no troubles with both plugged into usb 2

Strange.
01:58am 17/03/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
8 posts
Strange.

Words of wisdom
08:38am 13/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9879 posts
Infact the opposite of this advice was true. The problems went away by using the front ports.
08:40am 13/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:40am 13/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close