Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Backup software?
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9218 posts
I'm trying to backup one external drive to another. I remember this used to be easier, but it keeps f*****g up.

I normally use TeraCopy to copy files, but it seems to f*** up with an error like "Write error: the device is not ready". But the device is soooo ready, I can access it via windows explorer and everything, and there is no 'retry' option or anything like that, I don't know why that happens.

I tried ultracopier but that seems to just drop to 0b/s and doesn't respond to me hitting 'pause' or anything... really weird.

I also tried 'winmerge' which is great for telling me which files haven't been copied - but it uses the default windows copying mechanism, which also f**** up.

I think it's got something to do with USB pooping itself for a split second and everything falls to s***. I'll try a different USB hole.

Any tips?
10:32pm 16/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:32pm 16/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3425 posts
robocopy could be an option but nothing you mentioned is really "backing up" as such, shadow copy protect is the s*** for doing backups because you can boot backups as virtual machines but it does cost. Anyhoo, maybe try robocopy and i'll go back to drinking.
10:40pm 16/03/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6821 posts
Any tips?

Don't use your case's USB ports - the connectors and cables are usually s***.

Plug your devices directly into the motherboard at the back.
10:56pm 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9219 posts
I got a new theory brewing, one of the drives was plugged into USB 2.0 the other into USB 3.0, I think there's some funk that happens if you do that.
11:14pm 16/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9223 posts
Yeh no troubles with both plugged into usb 2
01:06am 17/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19535 posts

i've never had one single problem with my case's USB ports, except for that time I tripped over a cable plugged in and snapped the connector.

Yeh no troubles with both plugged into usb 2

Strange.
01:58am 17/03/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
8 posts
Strange.

Words of wisdom
08:38am 13/07/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9879 posts
Infact the opposite of this advice was true. The problems went away by using the front ports.
08:40am 13/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:40am 13/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.