Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO images Available to download
tHeBoRg
Gippsland, Victoria
60 posts
The Windows 8 Consumer preview is now available to download from the following website...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Remember this is a "preview" build or beta and not intended to replace your main operating system.
01:44am 01/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:44am 01/03/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
107 posts
This should be interesting. Downloading now.

Thanks for the heads up!
02:00am 01/03/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7665 posts
Unlike win7 pre-releases I won't be all over this

There's nothing in the little I have heard about it that interests me
08:07am 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2599 posts
I want to see if they listened to the advice people gave them and made it easy to switch between metro and classic start menu. I don't think they have.
08:19am 01/03/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
771 posts
Who willingly uses the 'old' XP style start menu?

Take your horrible start menu choice (as well as the rest of the world still stuck using Windows XP) and f*** right off.
08:28am 01/03/12 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
2025 posts
Man, it's early. I read the title and thought "who would want a picture of an iso?" *facepalm*
08:29am 01/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5610 posts
So what's the difference between 7 and 8 besides this metro look? Is it faster then 7?
08:30am 01/03/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6970 posts
I have a feeling I'm going to try this out. I'm also pretty keen to check out Windows 8 tablets when they're out, as I've currently skipped getting an iPad or Android tablet, more because I don't need one that much, but also because I know the operating systems and they're restrictions and/or flaws.

So hopefully Microsoft can really take the existing couple of years (or more) of prior experience with other companies and bring out a really good tablet OS.
08:59am 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2600 posts
Because I don't think Metro works how I want it to work in an office environment Ivymike. I want to be able to switch between Metro because I like using Metro and the Windows 7 desktop easily. With the development preview you could easily drop into the classic desktop but pressing the start menu switched to Metro. With a reg key you could make the start menu come back, but you couldn't easily go to Metro. I want to use both. So in summary, f*** you IvyMike.
09:08am 01/03/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
660 posts
looking forward to some feedback... don't know how I feel about the 'lets try and be more like apple' interface... from my experiences Microsoft makes one good OS then one s***** OS over the last few years

2000/me (s***)
XP(good)
Vista(s***)
7(good)
8(???)
09:11am 01/03/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
883 posts
looking forward to some feedback... don't know how I feel about the 'lets try and be more like apple' interface... from my experiences Microsoft makes one good OS then one s***** OS over the last few years

Hahaha that is exactly what I say to anyone who asks me about Windows 8. Although I do look forward to playing around with it in Javascript and doing some cool s***.
09:30am 01/03/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7666 posts
And iirc win7 has been the only version of widows to be faster than its predecessor. They've always relied on faster hardware and delivered more bloat and tie-ins.
09:36am 01/03/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2408 posts
2000/me (s***)
Win2k was awesome. Win ME was s***.
09:51am 01/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5613 posts
So the consensus is that Windows 8 may be the black sheep of Window's OS?
09:52am 01/03/12 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
606 posts
to be honest, I really like the windows 8 design. If all my games and programs work straight off the bat, it'll be an early upgrade for me. i'd be curious to see the integration with other upcoming Microsoft products like windows phone 8 and the new xbox.
09:57am 01/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12031 posts
So the consensus if that WIndows 8 will be the black sheep like Vista and ME? Dayum shame.

Wat, nobody's even used it yet, and nobody will likely be using Metro with the intended touch interface anyway.

Given that tablet computing is a limited-resource environment we can expect win8 to be relatively trim, its not being built for i5 desktops alone.

Nats' observations above are correct re. the previous bloat and Windows' reliance on hardware increases ... but the market turned small a few years ago and I doubt they are ignoring that while at the same time building an interface to suit!
09:59am 01/03/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6971 posts
To be fair, this is nothing like Apple's operating system. It has some really nice things about it, such as the other-app docking on sides of screens for a bit of multitasking.
10:05am 01/03/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12779 posts
Will check this out in a VM first, interested to have a play with the Metro UI.
10:20am 01/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5615 posts
Bit off topic but somewhat related to Windows 8, does anyone know if you can install another OS onto tablets like Samsung 10" or Asus Transformer Prime? If we can, would be interesting to try Windows 8 on it.
10:23am 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2602 posts
Samsung tab is Arm, so you would have to wait until the arm version is released and I believe Asus has promised windows 8 on the transformer.
10:29am 01/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5617 posts
Hmm, now to either wait for Transformer Windows 8, or get the Prime...
10:46am 01/03/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1130 posts
Had a play with the developer preview for a bit, will be interested to see if this has much more to it. Still have a heap of XP machines at work....this might be the signal needed to move them onto 7.
10:52am 01/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3401 posts
Anyone know if there's Kinnect support in the consumer preview or have a Kinnect to test it out? I don't but would go buy one if I knew I could plug it into and use it in Win8 on my 60" TV at home.
11:20am 01/03/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1132 posts
Grrr was hoping they had resolved the issue from Win 8 running on Virtual Machine 7 hardware. I think this is just a VMWare ploy to force the version 5 upgrades.
12:09pm 01/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3402 posts
Just noticed Windows Server 8 is also available. Should be worth a look.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/v8-default.aspx

03:32pm 01/03/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1840 posts
Looks great if you've got a tablet ...
03:40pm 01/03/12 Permalink
unclebobsticle
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
124 posts
Looks great if you've got a tablet ...

Looks no different on these tablets!

http://healthyhorns.utexas.edu/images/alcoholdrugs/ecstasy.jpg
03:46pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Jono
Brisbane, Queensland
7 posts
Hmm, now to either wait for Transformer Windows 8, or get the Prime...

Get a transformer prime. You will never look back
03:52pm 01/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3403 posts
I've got it running on a laptop plugged into a 27" display. Works reasonably well so far but I've only scratched the surface. I've got it connected to my Microsoft Live@Edu account because it backs only Windows Live. My Office 365 account doesn't register as a "Microsoft Account" because it's not a Windows Live account which is f*****g stupid given how hard Microsoft were pimping Office 365 last year.

I've noticed with programs you would install in Windows 7, lets say VLC which once installed will dump a bunch of components into the main part of the start menu, like skins configuration etc, because there's no start menu effectively, it's all dumped into Metro which clutters things pretty quickly. You can right click on unwanted objects and hide them back into the "All Apps" section which is basically everything you'd see in the "All Programs" part of the start menu but all expanded on one screen which is ok though you can't collapse program folders (which display more like headings now).

There's a consumer preview product demo video which hit the web earlier today which covers using a mouse and keyboard navigation as well as touch.
03:57pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5629 posts
Get a transformer prime. You will never look back

Yeah thinking I will, got one on Ebay for $560, 32GB model.
04:04pm 01/03/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1841 posts
I like the idea of having my xbox live account on the desktop.
04:27pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12788 posts
Good download servers, damn. Getting better speeds from there than I do with 40 threads on usenet:
Saving to: `Windows8-ConsumerPreview-64bit-English.iso'

65% [======================> ] 2,332,765,332 13.8M/s eta 88s
04:35pm 01/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3404 posts
The consumer preview was pretty quick to download for me as well, Win 8 Server is slloooowwwww. Going about 60kbps.

Also, just noticed the weather app displays it's temps in farenheit not celcius and it doesn't seem like it can be changed atm..... FAIL.
05:17pm 01/03/12 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10320 posts
so is this basically win me to 98 ? (ie. a broken clusterf*** waste of time?) I'm pretty happy with win 7 tbh.
05:39pm 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2608 posts
More like Windows XP media centre edition: Windows 7 Metro. I like it, try it, you may too.
05:41pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12789 posts
What's with the fish? Looks so tacky. Kind of already getting annoyed at staring at it on the load screen and desktop.
05:48pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
194 posts
Been running the beta on my netbook an old HP Mini 110 (1gig ram) and it was going like a rocket, was really impressed, win7 was choking it, gonna try this release as there seems to be more to it then just a metro tech demo
05:50pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12772 posts
Is it a fully functional OS? I mean, I know it says it shouldn't replace your OS but could I get away with testing this out on my Media PC you reckon?
06:20pm 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2609 posts
Yes, but on movie night with your girlfriend curled in your arms and you're about to press play it might decide not to work so you might have to forego the movie prep time and head straight to the bedroom instead.
06:22pm 01/03/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5400 posts
Finally can mount an iso natively.....f*** me its taken how f*****g long
06:39pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12773 posts
Yes, but on movie night with your girlfriend curled in your arms and you're about to press play it might decide not to work so you might have to forego the movie prep time and head straight to the bedroom instead.

Sounds like a win-win
06:42pm 01/03/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6769 posts
2000/me (s***)

Lumping Win 2000 and ME together disqualifies you from offering further opinion.
06:50pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Darkhawk
Melbourne, Victoria
35 posts
I'm actually quite fond of it. Check out the task manager, it actually gives you useful information and start up programs can be disabled there instead of just using msconfig.

I restarted my computer (I figured it out eventually!!!) and got back onto my Win7 partition and I have found myself missing it already.
08:47pm 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2613 posts
Yeah I like it, will be good once you get used to it more and it gets a little more polish. Vistart gives you a start menu in desktop mode apparently, so should be good to go.
08:57pm 01/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5634 posts
They say you can't use it as main OS, but I did it anyway with Win7 dev version haha.
09:22pm 01/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2615 posts
Well if it does f*** up, they don't want to hear people saying omg my thesis due on Friday got corrupted and it took my three months of polishing and omg cry cry
09:26pm 01/03/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5236 posts

I think you're confusing what is discussed.

windows 8 looks more like windows media centre crossed with windows phone.
http://img-us2.generation-nt.com/windows-8-metro_090258015100954901.jpg

They say you can't use it as main OS, but I did it anyway with Win7 dev version haha.

This is more a liability issue. It's not secure, it's not tested, and it's not stable.

Use at your own risk. Also they say "don't" not "can't". They're distinctly different contextually.
09:42pm 01/03/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4230 posts
Just noticed Windows Server 8 is also available. Should be worth a look.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/v8-default.aspx

Hasnt Windows server 8 been out for over a year? I dont think its related to this.
12:11am 02/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19435 posts

Take your horrible start menu choice (as well as the rest of the world still stuck using Windows XP) and f*** right off.

I went so far as to install "classic start menu" in windows 7 to get the xp menu back. The new start menu is a horrible idea. I like to see all my programs all laid out for me, I don't want to have to f*****g well scroll through 900000000 applications. What kind of idiot uses a screen so small as to require the tinyass menu that new versions of windows come with?

Win2k was awesome. Win ME was s***.

2k was awesome if you knew how to use it and work around the fact it was never meant to be a consumer OS, more a business one (I think?).
12:41am 02/03/12 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
637 posts
Looks great for tablets. Not sold on it for my PC though. I think I'll be sticking with Win7 for a while.
05:00am 02/03/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2410 posts
2k was awesome if you knew how to use it and work around the fact it was never meant to be a consumer OS
It worked flawlessly.
I was a nub at the time and had no issue using it at all.
09:27am 02/03/12 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3406 posts
Hasnt Windows server 8 been out for over a year? I dont think its related to this.

A pre-beta came out on 9th Sept last year, this beta was released yesterday.
10:03am 02/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12042 posts
I went so far as to install "classic start menu" in windows 7 to get the xp menu back. The new start menu is a horrible idea. I like to see all my programs all laid out for me, I don't want to have to f*****g well scroll through 900000000 applications. What kind of idiot uses a screen so small as to require the tinyass menu that new versions of windows come with?

GET OFFA MAH LAWN
10:07am 02/03/12 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7537 posts
Looks good, not sure how I like Metro interface - look kinda kiddy like not really going to suit corporately look. Also on non-touch screen PC with large screen it'd be a pain in the arse having to drag your mouse onto different corners to get to the "charms" and other things... hopefully kb shortcut will be a replacement for that.
11:54am 02/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2621 posts
Windows key – brings up the Metro start screen. You can start typing to search for an app, just like the Win7 start menu.
Win + D – brings up the old Windows desktop.
Win + C – brings up the Charms menu, where you can search, share, and change settings.
Win + I – opens the Settings panel, where you can change settings for the current app, change volume, wireless networks, shut down, or adjust the brightness.
Win + Z – opens the App Bar for the current Metro application.
Win + H – opens the Metro Share panel.
Win + Q – brings up the Metro App Search screen.
Win + W – brings up the Metro Settings search screen.
Win + F – brings up the Metro File search screen.
Win + K – opens the Devices panel (for connecting to a projector or some other device)
Win + , (comma) – Aero Peek at the desktop.
Win + . (period) – Snaps the current Metro application to one side of the screen. (Right side)
Win + Shift + . (period) – Snaps the current Metro application to the other side of the screen. (Left side)
Win + J – switches focus between snapped Metro applications.
Win + Page Up / Down – moves the current app to the other monitor.
Win + Tab – opens the Metro application switcher menu, switches between applications.
02:52pm 02/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
43 posts
I like it, though you can see It's all about selling apps.
04:13pm 02/03/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4232 posts
A pre-beta came out on 9th Sept last year, this beta was released yesterday.

Ahh. I was thinking of Windows Server 2008. My mistake.
12:14am 03/03/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5403 posts
Yeah I let out some rage earlier today

Server 8...... Metro whyyyyyy! I feel like I am adding music to a library under mce than editing DNS zones. Seriously I am not going to be using a f*****g tablet to admin this S*** sitting on the beach. How about a solid server os with solid features that's truly enterprise ready. If I want this s*** I would run osx server. And the storage pools and hyperv extensions.... Big f*****g whoop. You know the only thing that your new sparkling turd needed is to finally f*****g mount an ISO natively. Re-o -f*****glutionary same old s*** covered in glitter. Perfect for point and click mins

12:16am 03/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2624 posts
Touch and click, point and click sucks, takes a little practise to get the corner of the screen instead of jumping monitor. Also I don't have a side scrolling mouse so the app store isn't very nice to navigate. I like a few things, and with vistart I can use metro and classic start.
12:28am 03/03/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6394 posts
The new start menu is a horrible idea. I like to see all my programs all laid out for me, I don't want to have to f*****g well scroll through 900000000 applications. What kind of idiot uses a screen so small as to require the tinyass menu that new versions of windows come with?
Dude, just hit the Windows key and start typing the name of the program, much faster.
01:34am 03/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12044 posts
Dude, just hit the Windows key and start typing the name of the program, much faster.

I agree.

But the really awesome thing about this is that after a few decades of UI development, the best way to start Windows apps is to use a glorified command line ... !
10:13am 03/03/12 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6026 posts
haha good point Hogdaddy
11:11am 03/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35805 posts
So I've been in Seattle this week to visit Microsoft (not for AusGamers; for Mammoth). They gave us some good heads up on various products, but unfortunately we didn't get any goss on Windows 8 - our session with them on Win8 was the day before the launch of this release and they had this whole plan around that, so that was a bit frustrating.

Been a really interesting trip though; I got some photos of the MS campus that clearly demonstrate where all our money goes :)
11:36am 03/03/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3574 posts
I agree.

But the really awesome thing about this is that after a few decades of UI development, the best way to start Windows apps is to use a glorified command line ... !

It's not a command line, it's a search box you don't have to type full name of the program to run it just filter to it and select it.
08:29pm 03/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35807 posts
It's not a command line, it's a search box you don't have to type full name of the program to run it just filter to it and select it.
For those on Windows XP that don't have access to this cutting edge technology, get Launchy: http://www.launchy.net/
05:36pm 04/03/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3575 posts
For those on Windows XP that don't have access to this cutting edge technology, get Launchy: http://www.launchy.net/

Cheers Trog, I use XP at work and something like that could really help.
05:41pm 04/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19451 posts
GET OFFA MAH LAWN

So you'd buy a 32" monitor, run 2000 x what.the.f***.ever resolution, and then be happy to only use 1/4 of that? No, piss off to any noob that tells me otherwise. I buy a big screen, run a high res, I have a right to get pissed off when noob programmers write websites and programs that don't use my full screen resolution. This isn't 1990 anymore, no one uses 800 x 600 ffs.

I re-installed XP on my eeebox the other night. My god, how awesome is XP? Only thing stopping me from using it on my main PC right now, is the fact I don't have the 64bit version (got 16gig of ram).
05:48pm 04/03/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3576 posts
Only thing stopping me from using it on my main PC right now, is the fact I don't have the 64bit version (got 16gig of ram).
Sadly, as awesome as XP 64 is, it's a poor bastard of a negleted child. Which results in some annoying problems when you use it.
05:52pm 04/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5669 posts
Sadly, as awesome as XP 64 is, it's a poor bastard of a negleted child. Which results in some annoying problems when you use it.

That and games will start requiring Vista + soon.
06:56pm 04/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16415 posts
oh you windows 7 early adopters and your early adopting

/trog

<3 :p
07:01pm 04/03/12 Permalink
CaffeinatedTech
Caloundra, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
8 posts
I tried it on one of the 24" touch monitors at work.

I think it will be great for tablet devices once they iron it out. And I hope that all this Windows for ARM brings the price of Windows tablets down to a more competitive price.

I noticed that it is next to impossible to open the corner menus using the touch screen. Simple with the mouse, but ridiculous with your finger.
01:59pm 12/03/12 Permalink
Lyynx
Perth, Western Australia
1 posts
I installed it on my Asus eee slate. Runs nice. The lack of Start button takes some getting used to. Overall I like it.

I tried it on one of the 24" touch monitors at work.

I think it will be great for tablet devices once they iron it out. And I hope that all this Windows for ARM brings the price of Windows tablets down to a more competitive price.

I noticed that it is next to impossible to open the corner menus using the touch screen. Simple with the mouse, but ridiculous with your finger.
02:45am 13/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12096 posts

It's a glorified command line. Search? Whatever, semantics aside you type a few keys and hit enter to start a process.

I love the feature to death but it still amuses me no end.
03:50am 13/03/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
1980 posts

The way I see it you have two genuinely useful ways of having the start menu. Either you leave everything where it is and don't bother organising anything and just search for whatever you want (which works well in Win7), or you organise your start menu properly (eg. into groups) so you don't have to scroll through 900000000 applications, regardless of how big or small your start menu is.

You seem to have taken some sort of middle road of just trying to fit a big heaping mess of shortcuts into the biggest Start Menu imaginable.

Also, you can increase the size of the Win7 start menu by enabling more built in menus on the right hand side (eg. Documents, Pictures, Homegroup, Videos, etc.) giving the recently opened programs and All Programs section way more room.
06:20am 13/03/12 Permalink
Peter
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
My biggest issue with Windows 8 is the stuff that pops up with the stuff like tiles when you hit start menu. Just because of that I wouldn't like the windows. I like my old start menu.
04:49pm 15/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2732 posts
Right click on the lower left corner and it brings up a start menu much more useful than the old start menu, or hitting the windows key and typing the app name or organising the metro screen, heaps better once you get used to it.
05:11pm 15/03/12 Permalink
maryusdemetry
Sydney, New South Wales
16 posts
its perfect for tablets
10:45am 16/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:45am 16/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.