Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Steam Regional Prices Chrome Extension - (Opera Now Included)
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
596 posts
***LATEST UPDATE***
An extension for Opera has just been released.

Hey guys, just thought I would share a Chrome Extension (and accompanying website) I have been working on in my spare time the last couple of weeks and just launched last night.

It is called Steam All Region Price Checker and in summary, it allows you to check the prices for all regions of a Steam game simultaneously without leaving the current page you are on. You can check a game's prices by either:

1. Using the extension: Load up a game page on steam, right click and select "Look up current page"

2. Using the extension: Right click on any Steam game url (eg: Portal 2) and select "Look up price for..."

3. Using the website Paste the Steam game URL in the search bar at the top right hand side of the website

The website collates the searches (from both the extension and website usage) and presents a snapshot of the most popular searches.

Here is a quick screenshot although I'll probably post a better one when I get home in about an hour or so. (Click to enlarge)

http://www.steamregionalprices.com/screens/screen_001.png

This is my first ever Chrome Extension and it is in fairly early stages so I'm expecting a few bugs so please let me know any issues you run into or if you have any suggestions please feel free to send em through.

If you would like to know more specific feel free to ask away or check out the About page. I hope its something you guys can use and I'd love to get some feedback.
04:20pm 08/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:20pm 08/09/11 Permalink
DocterMoist
153 posts
bigger screenshot please.
04:25pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
10656 posts
Needs a "show as USD" button for easy comparison; otherwise GW
04:25pm 08/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
597 posts
Needs a "show as USD" button for easy comparison; otherwise GW

Cheers.

One feature I am thinking of adding (if there is interest and usage) is to convert all the prices to the equivalent in your currency. Eg: If you set Australia - I will get the current exchange rate and list all as AUD etc etc.
04:31pm 08/09/11 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1088 posts
the trouble with that is the exchange rate varies between businesses e.g. typing "200pound in aud" in google will give you a different result than buying a $200pound item and looking at your statement.

great job though!
04:45pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
3041 posts
Cool as, will try tonight.
04:57pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
71 posts
Awesome!!

and lol at the MW3 price diff
05:00pm 08/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
598 posts
the trouble with that is the exchange rate varies between businesses e.g. typing "200pound in aud" in google will give you a different result than buying a $200pound item and looking at your statement.

and you make a good point. Sites like Amazon for example don't actually use the current exchange rate, they tend to have a little markup on top of it although I'm not sure how it works. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that.
05:22pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1434 posts
If you use xe.com or google as your currency exchange, it at least saves me doing it myself. MUCH better than not doing it.

Definite interest from me here!

Any chance you could only make the context menu item exist on steampowered.com and not all websites?

I'm impressed tho :D
05:41pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10950 posts
Good work!

I hope you're joking.
05:43pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3899 posts
RAGE:
AU $89.99
UK £29.99

Google: UK £29.99 = AU $45.14

Unbelievable...
05:45pm 08/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
599 posts
If you use xe.com or google as your currency exchange, it at least saves me doing it myself. MUCH better than not doing it.

Definite interest from me here!

Any chance you could only make the context menu item exist on steampowered.com and not all websites?

I'm impressed tho :D

Hahaha yea good point mate. I will definitely look into it for the next major update. For the context menu, I will see what I can do, not sure if its possible but I will look into it for sure.

I hope you're joking.

Haha I added the larger one after he asked :P
05:46pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4117 posts
Shiiit, Skyrim is marked up? Noooo.

...Fixah? :D
05:47pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10951 posts
Some of the mark-ups in AUD are pretty unbelievable. Would be interested to know what their reasoning is - because there doesn't seem to be any. I will just continue to buy via VPN or get a mate to gift games to me to avoid the ridiculum.
05:49pm 08/09/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3881 posts
RAGE:
AU $89.99
UK £29.99

Unbelievable...

This s*** annoys the f*** out of me. So sick of being taken for a ride.
05:53pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4118 posts
Would be interested to know what their reasoning is

Think one publisher (or random commentator on the Internet) claimed it was because we have enormous comparative incomes.

Moreso suspect because they know they can.
07:08pm 08/09/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
838 posts
Think one publisher (or random commentator on the Internet) claimed it was because we have enormous comparative incomes.

Same applies to makeup, technology, clothing and heaps of other s***. Dunno if thats a legit reason though.
07:11pm 08/09/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
3045 posts
It's the excuse they're gonna keep using till we all say f*** it with our wallets.
07:38pm 08/09/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1549 posts
This s*** annoys the f*** out of me. So sick of being taken for a ride.

You can thank EB Games - They had a cry to the wholesalers who in turn told the developers who in turn regionalised the prices with in store pricing.
08:16pm 08/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
600 posts
You can thank EB Games - They had a cry to the wholesalers who in turn told the developers who in turn regionalised the prices with in store pricing.

I've heard that thrown around before but never seen any where, well credible I guess, where did you read or hear about it?
08:46pm 08/09/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
840 posts
Is your extension just for price comparison or can u buy US pricing from AUS?
08:54pm 08/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
601 posts
Is your extension just for price comparison or can u buy US pricing from AUS?

Purely for price comparison unfortunately.

Way to much work setting up something to be able to accomodate purchasing from a US account. Problem is its actually against Steam's TOS to purchase from US if you don't actually live there so its a substantial risk for even if I did have that functionality.
09:05pm 08/09/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3895 posts
Some of the mark-ups in AUD are pretty unbelievable. Would be interested to know what their reasoning is - because there doesn't seem to be any. I will just continue to buy via VPN or get a mate to gift games to me to avoid the ridiculum.

Anyone know if using a VPN violates any local laws when purchasing software like this? I'm guessing it might as you have to use a false address ect. Not that I have a problem doing it, its just the cost of getting access to a VPN when you only need to use it so rarley that pisses me off. Anyone have a VPN setup (other than that trial thing that only lasts an hour and you cant reuse) that doesnt cost money to subscribe to?
06:48pm 12/09/11 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1901 posts
I'd love to grab a pre-order copy of Skyrim on steam from somewhere in Europe at the moment as the Aus dollar is currently strong against the euro.
Though I don't have a VPN or know how to work the system.

If there is someone here that can do that I'd be happy if a QLG buddy can hook a brother up?
Already bought into the BF3 group buy, so you know I'm good for the money!
07:47pm 12/09/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1552 posts
I've heard that thrown around before but never seen any where, well credible I guess, where did you read or hear about it?

I can't remember the actual source. But it makes perfect sense, why else would there be regional pricing in AUS?
07:54pm 12/09/11 Permalink
ctd
UK
9641 posts
ET pretty sure there is quite a few of those trial websites floating around. Used them many times in the past and never had problems with steam.

Don't need to bother with them now though obviously.
05:30am 13/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
606 posts
Just letting you guys know I have literally just released an update to both the extension and the website:

Chrome Extension (v1.0.2)
- Modified the context menu to only show the Steam ARPC option when either currently on a Steam URL, or on a hyperlinked Steam URL.
- Corrected issue with some games not providing any results

Website
- Minor CSS updates
- Added this page
- Added date of last update to Most Popular Searches
- Added ability to browse more (and more) popular searches on homepage
- Fixed invalid markup on the homepage
- Fixed php error messages being displayed for undeclared variables
- Fixed an issue where the search bar would display an error message on some pages

The main purpose of this little update is to implement Seven's suggestion and fix a bunch of website issues:

I have started looking into a way to compare currencies and I have it planned for the next release - but I have been flat out and haven't had much time to work on it yet. Would you guys rather me immediately list all the prices in a currency of your choice OR show them in their default currency and provide a link to compare them?

Again, any feedback/suggestion would be appreciated. Cheers.

Edit:
Fixed link typo
09:52pm 20/09/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1561 posts
link is broken
10:02pm 20/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
607 posts
I also applied a quick update today too:
Server Side (Applies to Extension and Website - no update required)
Removed all the weird characters that were showing up in some game titles. (Will be applied next time a game is updated)
Fixed a couple of strange image thingys. Technical, too technical. Not really, but whatever.
07:07pm 21/09/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
11700 posts
good stuff, this deserves some good coverage

incidentally, Limbo is awesome sauce for $10 on steam
07:44pm 21/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
612 posts
Thought I would let you guys know that I applied a major update to both the Chrome Extension and the Website (v1.1.0)

The are 3 major changes:

• I have implemented Hoggy's suggestion and you can now designate your preferred currency and it will automatically convert and display accordingly. To do this you simply load up the extension options page and select either AUD, GBP or USD from the dropdown box. The exchange rates are updated at midday & midnight for now. This is currently only for the extension... not the website.

• You can now set it to automatically check the prices on page load. Eg: if you jump on the Counterstrike page, the plugin will automatically lookup the various regional prices and display them in your preferred currency (if set). This feature is off by default - again you can switch it on through the options page.

• I modified some of the privacy settings so that it will only work on store.steampowered.com and on steamregionalprices.com. The reason for this is some people were concerned that it was a privacy/security risk and this is aimed to put their mind at ease (hopefully)

If you want a list of the full updates click here.

Again, if anyone has any suggestion of how I can make this better for you I am all ears. Cheers for the support fellas.

Edit:
Also, if you have any serious issues please feel free to contact me through the website (or here) before posting a nasty review - if you do feel the need to leave a negative review by all means, go nuts, but please make it useful. There is one guy who just wrote "Stay away". Cheers mate, that helps a heap o.O
09:31pm 27/09/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
767 posts
Just letting anyone here who uses this extension know that I have just released another significant update.

There was some major issues with incorrect prices being shown, missing images and the wrong game result being shown and I had absolutely no idea these problems were happening. It looks all good now but if you guys run into any issues please let me know so I can get to fixing it. (When you check prices it gives you a button to report a problem.)

Changes are as follows:
  • Significant speed optimisations
  • Fixed issue with games thumbnails not showing
  • Fixed issue with games prices not showing
  • Fixed issue with some games showing the wrong information

Changes do not require an update as they are all server side.

If you want a list of the full updates click here and as usual I am more than keen to hear any suggestions.
08:15pm 20/12/11 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19061 posts

Yeah, it was a lot different when we had to have the packages physically shipped to our little out of the way, back water country but how do they justify it with digital downloads?

Are you sure valve is ok with you using the steam icon for your plugin?
08:29pm 20/12/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
768 posts
Are you sure valve is ok with you using the steam icon for your plugin?

No I'm not sure, but I am not making any money or anything from it and I have specifically stated on both the extension page and my website that "This is not an official Steam/Valve website/app. All trademarks are property of their respective owners" so I'm hoping that counts.

If they were to contact me of course I would instantly pull it down though no questions asked.
08:45pm 20/12/11 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11555 posts

Shows the price of the AU steam store for Shogun 2 as like $15. But the site shows almost $50?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34330/?snr=1_5_9__13
12:06am 21/12/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
770 posts
Shows the price of the AU steam store for Shogun 2 as like $15. But the site shows almost $50?

It has been fixed, thanks for that.

Steam website is horrible, the prices are in different locations, wrapped in different tags and usually have nothing in html to separate it from the other prices. Makes it a real pain in the ass to keep on top of these various layouts.
01:52am 21/12/11 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11556 posts

Cool :)
01:26pm 21/12/11 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11562 posts

Is there a 1/2 decent way to buy Steam games from the US. I did it ages back when my brother had some US based web servers. I was able to connect to those and buy through there, but that's not available anymore :(
11:35am 23/12/11 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20267 posts
But it makes perfect sense, why else would there be regional pricing in AUS?
Literally hundreds of reasons.
07:03pm 23/12/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
795 posts
Again, just letting anyone here who uses this extension know that I have just released another update.

This update won't make much of a difference to most of us, but basically I have added support for more regions, specifically Euro tier 1 & 2.

• Added region support for Euro (Tier 1) & Euro (Tier 2). More countries coming soon.

• Tier 1: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Netherlands, Sweden or Switzerland.

• Tier 2: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain or the Vatican City

• Updated styles & options to include new regions

• Various updates to website copy

This update affects both the website and Chrome extension, so if you have it I suggest you update it. Although if you don't it shouldn't cause any issues.
06:28pm 10/01/12 Permalink
Pharcyde
Kilos
Brisbane, Queensland
5026 posts
RAGE:
AU $89.99
UK £29.99

Unbelievable...

"Oh, that's because of the uhhh.. the shipping? Wait, no, it's 2012. Uhhhh... *insert lots of Commerce-speak that doesn't address the problem at all*"
06:36pm 10/01/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3896 posts
#1 reason is because they can
#2 reason is because the local publishers/distributors crack the s**** if their prices are undercut. To find why local publishers charge so much, see reason #1
06:46pm 10/01/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1196 posts
"Oh, that's because of the uhhh.. the shipping? Wait, no, it's 2012. Uhhhh... *insert lots of Commerce-speak that doesn't address the problem at all*"

"You Aussies have a higher minimum wage!11!!!1oneeleventy!"

I have seen that reason thrown around by Americans a few times.
06:48pm 10/01/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
796 posts
"You Aussies have a higher minimum wage!11!!!1oneeleventy!"

I have seen that reason thrown around by Americans a few times.

Yeah hahah I have seen that on reddit in quite a few discussions.
07:28pm 10/01/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1044 posts
Just a heads up, I released another major update (v 2.0.0) for this today. Here are some of the changes:
  • Added regional support for Russia.

• Added currency conversion to rubles.

• Simplified the design of the price box and made it slightly smaller

• Extension now autoloads by default. Can be switched off in the options page.

• Updates website css & extension options to include new region.

• Various updates to website copy.

• Redeveloped server App in preparation for an upcoming public API.

View the full changelog here: http://www.steamregionalprices.com/updates.php

Also, for any Opera users - I have been in contact with a guy who is creating an Opera version of it and it looks very near completion, will let you guys know when its ready.

And finally, I have created an API for it which I will shortly allow the public to use. Its not quite ready to be out there yet but is very bloody close. You simply pass the URL of the game and currency you wish to convert to (from a list) and it will return the results as JSON string. I'll post more info when its ready, but if anyone is interested I can fix you up with an api key and you're more than welcome to play around with it now.
05:28pm 24/06/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1047 posts
Another update:

For anyone using Opera, the Opera version is now live - https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/steam-regional-prices/

Just a note, it is not my extension - but it is using my API.
10:21pm 03/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5711 posts
https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/steam-regional-prices/
that's the english page, i guessed, but i changed the pt to en in the url.
12:05am 04/07/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1048 posts
Lol I didn't think about that, thanks mate I'll update the links now.
07:40am 04/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15435 posts
are you going to do a version for firefox?
09:17am 04/07/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1049 posts
I would like to do a Firefox version, although at the moment I haven't made any plans or timings to actually do it. I know Firefox has a huge user base so its kinda stupid to not do it.

I've never written a Firefox extension/addon before so I have to figure that out. Can't imagine it being all that difficult though.

If anyone here knows how to write Firefox extensions and is interested in doing it, I can provide access to my API which will get you all the actual results and currency conversion - you just need to provide a Steam url.

Outside of that, I'd love to squeeze in some time to write one asap. Hopefully they're not too dissimilar from the Chrome extensions and I can copy & paste most of it. Hopefully.
10:07am 04/07/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1569 posts
Needs more firefox love. :D
10:09am 04/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:09am 04/07/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.