Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
iOS4.2 now available
darkjedi
Hobart, Tasmania
2881 posts
For the iDevice users out there, iOS4.2 has been released and is available to download via iTunes now. Amongst other changes, you can finally set different SMS tones! That's like amazing and game changing or something. The rest of the change notes are below:

iOS 4.2 Software Update

This update contains improvements, including the following:

• AirPrint
- Print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to
AirPrint compatible printers on a local wireless network
• AirPlay
- Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos to
Apple TV
- Wirelessly stream music to AirPlay compatible speakers
and receivers, including AirPort Express
• FaceTime improvements
- Initiate calls with Voice Control
- Initiate calls from an SMS conversation
- Support for Bluetooth accessories
• Find text on the web page in Safari
• New fonts setting available for Notes
• New SMS/MMS text tones and the ability to set custom
tones per contact
• Additional restrictions (parental controls) available:
- Account settings
- App deletion
- Game Center friends
- Location settings
• Ability to import .ics files into Calendar
• Bug fixes, including:
- Eliminates sound artifacts occasionally captured in
recorded audio with 4th generation iPod touch
- Improves audio playback to car stereos via USB
07:44am 23/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:44am 23/11/10 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
4745 posts
So does my alarm now go off at the correct time in this version?
07:54am 23/11/10 Permalink
darkjedi
Hobart, Tasmania
2882 posts
Doubt it. That'll require iOS5 most likely. You can also try turning off the auto-detect time feature and set your time zone manually - That fixed it for me.
07:58am 23/11/10 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
2964 posts
• New SMS/MMS text tones and the ability to set custom
tones per contact

From the way it's worded, doesn't sound like we can import 3rd party tones still :/

It would also be nice if I could set a seperate volume level for my alarm. Most nights I forget to turn my volume down so my alarm goes off at full volume in the morning and wakes up the whole house :/

last edited by Martz at 08:31:31 23/Nov/10
08:20am 23/11/10 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
2965 posts
Just listened to the new sms tones, how f*****g gay are they!
10:04am 23/11/10 Permalink
Space Ninja
Brisbane, Queensland
3391 posts
I truly need an SMS tone which goes for 11 seconds.

What the f*** Apple? Seriously.
10:37am 23/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6903 posts
iPhone 4's reception really is s***. My mum's phone kept dropping out all over the place and this is with NextG. Is there a trick to setup so it doesn't f*****g drop calls? I'm serious, I'm thinking about returning the mother f*****g thing. It's so f*****g s*** when you can't hear anything and the calls are made with lots of bars.

Will this update fix this problem?
11:08am 23/11/10 Permalink
Slappercx
Brisbane, Queensland
1943 posts
Reception is perfect on my iphone 4. spent time over on Frazer and still had good reception at Waddy Point .

12:03pm 23/11/10 Permalink
CubanPete
Brisbane, Queensland
35 posts
don't touch this yet if you want to keep your jailbreak.
12:07pm 23/11/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5960 posts
The only good one is Noir. The rest are f*****g call tones.
12:16pm 23/11/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
3768 posts
agree 3dee
12:28pm 23/11/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3245 posts
iPhone 4's reception really is s***. My mum's phone kept dropping out all over the place and this is with NextG. Is there a trick to setup so it doesn't f*****g drop calls? I'm serious, I'm thinking about returning the mother f*****g thing. It's so f*****g s*** when you can't hear anything and the calls are made with lots of bars.

Will this update fix this problem?

We have 5 of them and run all over SEQ without issues. I spent a couple of grand just to get away from 3. So very happy now we are on Telstra. Its the only mobile network worth being on.
12:57pm 23/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6905 posts
We have 5 of them and run all over SEQ without issues. I spent a couple of grand just to get away from 3. So very happy now we are on Telstra. Its the only mobile network worth being on.

So maybe I've got a dodgey one ? I got her a case as well not the bumper but the silicone one. It kept dropping calls, I can't hear her but she can hear me etc, this happens to just about everywhere she calls..... I don't have that problem with my HTC Desire so it's not a network issue. I'm gonna take it in and throw the phone at the somebody... :/
01:00pm 23/11/10 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9620 posts
You have an issue with the phone or the sim card. I use mine everywhere and never dropped a call.
02:05pm 23/11/10 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
8826 posts
You have an issue with the phone or the sim card. I use mine everywhere and never dropped a call.

Exactly, so quit whinging and get it swapped. Reserve an appointment with Apple or go see your carrier and find out what their warranty process it.
02:35pm 23/11/10 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6994 posts
I booked an apointment with an apple genius to get my mrs' 4 looked at when the screen was unresponsive. There was a one week wait to see someone. Took it ib to telstra and 25 minutes later walked out with a new phone.
02:42pm 23/11/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2832 posts
oops wrong thread.
03:03pm 23/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6906 posts

I presumed the phone since they're both brand new from Telstra i.e. phone & SIM. I'm gonna take it in this week and see what they say. Hopefully it's just unlucky and got a dodgy batch ........ because from all the youtube vids I've seen with the case on it the phone shouldn't drop calls.
05:13pm 23/11/10 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
6955 posts
Wireless playing to speakers is f*****g boss

Ive been waiting for this forever
07:02pm 23/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
4502 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
08:01pm 23/11/10 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
49 posts
The new tones are for the iPhone 4 only, on the site and in the update says iPhone only, but the 3G and 3GS don't have the new tones or the custon contact tones either.
09:43pm 23/11/10 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
223 posts

Seems there's no shortage or control over spent monies at your place either... whilst you're bleeding cash like a stuck pig at the moment, if I give you some paypal details can you bleed into that for a little while too?

(Agreed Telstra is the premiere network in this country, but that comes @ a hefty cost... have Telstra just overhauled their mobile phone prices too? coz Bigpond only just woke up to the stupendous prices they were running up until recently.)

RE: iPhone users trolling the android thread:

I might have carrier bloat, but at least I can set custom SMS tones & use tones I create myself or download off the internet and do pretty much everything else the iphone can't

lolz apple

p.s. My phone doesn't drop out if I hold it funny either

So, wait... lemme get this straight... your phone doesn't work at all (ie carrier bloat) but your claiming a victory because you can set custom ringtones for calls and sms that you'll never receive REGARDLESS of the way you hold your phone?

Bravo *claps*

Well played sir, how very Darwinian of you... NEXT.
02:38am 24/11/10 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
651 posts
Hi Apple.

WHEN WILL YOU ALLOW US TO CHANGE THE EMAIL ALERT TONE FFS!!!! EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE HAS HAD THE ABILITY TO DO THIS FOR, WELL, YEARS AND YEARS.

Love,
iPhone Users
07:59am 24/11/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5964 posts
Actually Telstra's plans are a whole buttload more competitive these days.

3GB data for $29. $79 cap = $750 calls + 2GB data.
10:27am 24/11/10 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
6956 posts
When are they going to release skype with video for iphone 4

F*** it is weird going back to 4 button dock
11:30am 24/11/10 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9187 posts
Updated and all good so far. Email seems to be a little better. Still no MARK ALL AS F*****G READ!!!! FFS HOW HARD IS IT!
10:30pm 24/11/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3256 posts

Seems there's no shortage or control over spent monies at your place either... whilst you're bleeding cash like a stuck pig at the moment, if I give you some paypal details can you bleed into that for a little while too?

Not bleeding Ivy. It saves me money when my employees can be in touch while in the field. Having no reception / missing calls, thats what costs money.

I'm very happy with the iphone deal we are on with Telstra.
11:24pm 24/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6908 posts
So I just discovered what's actually happened with my mum and her iPhone 4. You're all going to love this.

I asked her how she use the phone etc she said, oh I just put the standard Apple head phone what comes with the iPhone (one with mic and remote) to answer calls etc. I thought humm ok that should be alright because the headphone has mic in it so I should be able to hear her talk etc. Yet it dropped my calls.

Then she said, she _puts_ her phone in her pocket whilst she's talking........................................................................................................................................................ ARRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!@!!! the penny drops!

Of course it cuts out the mic on the head phone. Because the proximity sensor thinks that she puts the phone up to her face to "talk" instead of "talking" using the head phone's mic?!@ So I did a test, get her to hold the phone in her hands of the pocket and use the headphone to make calls and sure enough it works just fine, no dropped calls, voice nice and clear. As soon as she puts it in her pocket, boom, call cuts out I can't hear s*** but she can hear me (duh).

**********SIGH***********************************

Mums and technologies just don't mix I tells you :/
12:27am 25/11/10 Permalink
Mr.Bumpy
Melbourne, Victoria
371 posts
That shouldn't be happening Opec. I often do that when I'm walking around and I still receive calls whilst my iPhone's in my pocket., unless your mum have lead lined pockets
02:54am 25/11/10 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7000 posts
Her phone is open/on yours is screenlocked.
08:14am 25/11/10 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9621 posts
Im pretty sure Iv made calls and dropped the phone in my pocket doing that and it hasnt spazzed out....I dont think it should be doing that.
08:39am 25/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6909 posts
Her phone is open/on yours is screenlocked.

Yep pretty much nat. She just answers the call, then without locking the phone / turn off the screen first , she _puts_ it in her pocket thereby activating the mic on the phone and cuts out the headphone mic. Or something like that, I didn't see her actually do it because I was on the phone to her somewhere else.... I wouldn't put it past her to do something even sillier. heh.

I take back what I said about iPhone, in this case it's definitely an operator's problem lol
08:39am 25/11/10 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
11384 posts
• Find text on the web page in Safari

FINALLY.
08:59am 25/11/10 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
4753 posts
Of course it cuts out the mic on the head phone. Because the proximity sensor thinks that she puts the phone up to her face to "talk" instead of "talking" using the head phone's mic?!@ So I did a test, get her to hold the phone in her hands of the pocket and use the headphone to make calls and sure enough it works just fine, no dropped calls, voice nice and clear. As soon as she puts it in her pocket, boom, call cuts out I can't hear s*** but she can hear me (duh).

This might explain why I have problems while in the car:
My new car has bluetooth integrated - when I get in the car it pairs with the phone. Fair enough - it means if the phone rings, it comes through the car stereo system. But sometimes if I haven't put it in the cradle, I'll have the phone on my lap for whatever reason (usually because I've dialled out - I know I know, naughty me). Sometimes people have had trouble hearing me - could maybe be because it's done this, and is no longer using the BT mic mounted on the drivers window A-pillar?
10:12am 25/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6911 posts
This might explain why I have problems while in the car:
My new car has bluetooth integrated - when I get in the car it pairs with the phone. Fair enough - it means if the phone rings, it comes through the car stereo system. But sometimes if I haven't put it in the cradle, I'll have the phone on my lap for whatever reason (usually because I've dialled out - I know I know, naughty me). Sometimes people have had trouble hearing me - could maybe be because it's done this, and is no longer using the BT mic mounted on the drivers window A-pillar?

Can't say about bluetooth but I reckon it could be dude. Have you tried locking your screen / turn off the screen after the call connected? I think it maybe proximity sensor issues....
10:44am 25/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:44am 25/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.