AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
How to monitor application's network traffic
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6993 posts
i have an application (iphone app) that I want to review what it sends and receives with the internet.

What's the best way to do that? 

I know that I'm assuming it's not complicated or secure.

By review I mean dump all its traffic to a file on my pc.  My network is some wireless routers that have my BoB modem as their internet gateway.  I could easily point the wireless router to go through my pc as a gateway, but apart from directing the traffic to my pc I don't what program to use to capture the traffic on to my disk.  Is this what wireshark's used for?
02:30pm 22/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:30pm 22/11/10 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
669 posts
Putting your PC in the middle would make it easy to capture the traffic you want. Wireshark can capture what you're after. Several layers of NAT won't be a problem.

03:03pm 22/11/10 Permalink
Plasma
1204 posts
If its wireless, you could try Wireshark (packet sniffer) and make sure its running in promiscuous mode (capture packets on the network even if they are not destined for you).

This should work for wireless (as your wireless card would just pick the data up from the air) but if your PC is wired it wont pick the data up (as your router wont forward the iphone packets to you in the first place).
06:06pm 22/11/10 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2352 posts
If the iphone is sending all its data over its wireless interface, you can just run wireshark on any machine with a wireless interface.

Just ensure theres no other devices chatting on the same network to make things simpler (though you can just filter it anyways).

There are some mac capturing programs (macsniffer, or something?) and ethereal can be built on mac os x too, but I don't know if any of that stuff has been ported to iphone.
06:46pm 22/11/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
4686 posts
pcap + wireshark +1

Icey you would be thinking of KisMAC http://trac.kismac-ng.org/

last edited by HerbalLizard at 07:36:15 23/Nov/10
07:35am 23/11/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
4687 posts
Also you may find it easier with a network hub (not a switch) to an ap and then have a host running off the hub which has wireshark installed.

Taps are hell expensive I have always wanted one though http://www.lovemytool.com/blog/2007/08/span-ports-or-t.html
07:39am 23/11/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3244 posts
Wouldn't it be great if our little network switches had reporting software like this build in. How hard could it be for them?
I'd just love a simple log of per device usage.
10:31am 23/11/10 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
5743 posts
How hard could it be for them?

Not hard, but then how are they gonna sell their enterpise stuff if the home stuff can do it?
11:58am 23/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:58am 23/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close