AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
PLEASE HELP
Jamie
Wollongong, New South Wales
18 posts
My computer was running a bit sluggish so i decided to format the old whale. Now, i have 2 hardrives installed in my computer and i transfered all my important data onto the backup one, and then proceded to format BOTH of them by accident, by the time i realised i had done it, it was to late.

My question is i used the windows 7 install disc to clear the partitions for both drives.. and then re-installed windows on my main drive... Is there any way that i can get the partition back for the second drive? i have about 4 years or photos and my entire steam directory on there, not to mention everything else...

Anyone have any ideas about what i can do?

If you need additional info i am happy to explain further...

PLEASE and THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
07:26pm 20/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:26pm 20/11/10 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
9650 posts
Data recovery programs....probably need to "borrow" one from someone who owns it though....
07:32pm 20/11/10 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
4662 posts
Use a recovery program, if you havent written much data to the drive most of it should still be there. Its a tedious task though.

Just fyi, when windows deletes something it doesn't actually delete it, it just marks it as free space. So if you're trying to recover data don't go installing stuff onto the drive because it may overwrite the important data you're trying to recover.
07:39pm 20/11/10 Permalink
Jamie
19 posts
hmmm, well i figured as much, i was after some advice on what programs to use to do this... i have done a bit of research and im 100% possitive it was just the quick format, i used the windows 7 install disc to delete the partition and i was wondering ifthere was a good program that will just restore the partition...
07:40pm 20/11/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7159 posts
Sounds like you had two partitions (C & D) on one physical drive an when you reinstalled, you wiped em both as during the fresh install, you said nuke it all from orbit and wiped it.

You literally just burnt your virtual house down without insurance.
09:48pm 20/11/10 Permalink
Jamie
20 posts
i actually had two seperate physical drives, but yes you were pretty close HERMI hahaha... I have been searching around and "found" a brilliant program called R-Studio, it found the deleted partition on the other physical drive(the backup one) and im now in the proccess of getting all my things back.

So a note to everyone, R-Studio saved my bacon, remember for when you make a retarded mistake like i did.
09:54pm 20/11/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7160 posts
You have to be pretty special to wipe two different drives on an install. I can guarantee windows won't do it without user intervention/instruction.
10:51pm 20/11/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
6853 posts
You have to be pretty special to wipe two different drives on an install.

Not really, windows recommends installing with only the one drive connected, it can f*** around with other drives apparently, like you can set the boot or system partition on the wrong drive - especially if it autodetects an old windows on a secondary drive.

A note for future/others:
This recovery program is free if you're stuck
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Might not be the best, but it does the job.
11:52pm 20/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17442 posts
Or you can hit the magical let windows decide for you if it has that option (ubuntu does).

windows recommends installing with only the one drive connected, it can f*** around with other drives apparently, like you can set the boot or system partition on the wrong drive - especially if it autodetects an old windows on a secondary drive.

Yeah mine did that once. I disabled the drive in the BIOS thinking I'd be safe but when I installed windows, it ignored the BIOS completely and installed the boot loader on to the disabled drive, which I planned to remove once windows was up on the new drive and data had been copied over. Who the hell coded windows to detect a disabled drive & install a boot loader to it?
11:59pm 20/11/10 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
4674 posts
I always remove extra drives when doing a fresh install. What takes 2 seconds can save you a massive headache in the long run.
01:10am 21/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:10am 21/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks