Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Catalog for offline media
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6963 posts
I'm at the stage where I need to move some of my media to offline storage. Back in the day I would burn to CD and keep a spreadsheet up to date that related disks to titles.

Can anyone recommend something better? I want to put stuff to a HD, add it to the catalog so it records the title and which HD it's on, then put the HD to one side to only be looked at again if I ever needs that title.

Ideally it would tie in with TheMovieDB or something like that, but that's not so important
03:26pm 31/10/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:26pm 31/10/10 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9601 posts
How much data are we talking? Why not just put it on a NAS and shut it down when not in use.

That way you have some form of redundancy if a HDD craps out and your data is accessible on one device.
03:50pm 31/10/10 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
9024 posts
why not just run the nas 24x7 with raid5 or raid6
ask yourself how much the data is worth to you

if its non replaceable stuff like childrens photos and home videos etc, you'd probably spend $2k on a video camera so why not spend $2k on the storage server where you keep the movies

QNAP 7 or 8 drive unit so you can expand later, it's a bit of an investment but it's piece of mind too
03:55pm 31/10/10 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6964 posts
This is stuff I'm taking off my Nas as it is at capacity and I can't afford to upgrade it at the moment but I have many .5-1 tb disks laying around. So I'm moving extremely infrequently used stuff off it so I can keep my more current and important data on there.

04:11pm 31/10/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17317 posts
WinCatalog
05:38pm 31/10/10 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6965 posts
that may be exactly what i'm looking for, thanks.
11:05pm 31/10/10 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
9027 posts
nat what you could do is backup your nas settings config file
shut it down, remove the drives
archive them and a copy of your config

put new drives in and start filling them up
only problem is you have to swap between configs and arrays each time .. but that's not so bad for long term archive
11:08pm 31/10/10 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6966 posts
all i'm thinking is on the odd occasion that i need something off the drives, just search the list and find it, plug that particular drive in the bare HD USB device thingie I have and suck the file to my PC or NAS. It'd probably take 2 minutes all up.

WinCatalog didn't like me very much or I don't know how to use it. I imported a drive in the example catalog, then moved it to the example catalog's 'Movie' folder and it froze and crashed. I'll have to have a look at the faq see what I'm doing wrong.
07:16am 01/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17323 posts
I use wincatalog lite so can't vouch for the paid/full version but I use it quite successfully to catalog all my various cd's full of random pictures/videos & s*** for easy retrieval later when I might need a precious image macro you all know I love so much.

I've never tried to catalog a hard drive with it but I just created a new catalog, stuck a cd in the drive & added it to the catalog. Then every time I make a new random s*** cd I just add it to the catalog.

I don't know what this 'movie' folder is because I just have all my discs in the root catalog (never needed anything else), maybe it's part of the full version? Are you using the full or lite?
09:00pm 01/11/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
7489 posts
Call me old school but I just name files descriptively and "dir /w > file.txt" and print a copy and keep it with the drive.
09:09pm 01/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17324 posts
ok, you're old school. I like the ability to search the contents of offline zip/rar files
09:27pm 01/11/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5156 posts
http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

Used to use this years ago for DVDs/CDs, not free though.
09:46pm 01/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:46pm 01/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.