AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Win7 32 bit on a 64 bit capable PC question?
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1374 posts
I upgraded on a format and fresh install last night from Vista Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate
but dopey me realised after that i had got a 32 bit version of Win7 while i had a 64 bit version of Vista. Can't recall my PC's exact specs here (I'm at work) but it has 8GB of RAM, an NVidia, 1TB HDD, processor?? it's an Intel i3 or 4? it's just over 12 months old
i can get exact info if it helps or makes a difference

Info on my main PC use - I'm not a PC gamer, use MS Office 2007, photoshop (minor), some video work (minor), ISO's, music, pictures, wife does some photo stories project occasionally, net regularly using chrome
my peripherals are only some external HDD, a HP MFP, basic speakers. so I'm not what you would consider a high end user. i certainly don't strain my PC's abilities and didn't appear to have any issues last night post install.

I've been doing some reading this morning on the Googles but just wanted some more feedback on the following questions relating to 32bit Win7 v 64bit Win7.

Am I losing a great deal of anything in this set up? or am I missing out on anything?
Is there anything i currently use that will be affected in a major performance way by this?
Should I get back to 64 bit version of 7?

thanks
10:06am 22/10/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:06am 22/10/10 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1726 posts
Yes, by using a 32bit version you have more then cut in half the ram available to you.
10:08am 22/10/10 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
6879 posts
Yeah I'd reinstall RAM is always handy
10:19am 22/10/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6864 posts
I upgraded on a format and fresh install last night from Vista Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate
but dopey me realised after that i had got a 32 bit version of Win7 while i had a 64 bit version of Vista. Can't recall my PC's exact specs here (I'm at work) but it has 8GB of RAM, an NVidia, 1TB HDD, processor?? it's an Intel i3 or 4? it's just over 12 months old
i can get exact info if it helps or makes a difference

Info on my main PC use - I'm not a PC gamer, use MS Office 2007, photoshop (minor), some video work (minor), ISO's, music, pictures, wife does some photo stories project occasionally, net regularly using chrome
my peripherals are only some external HDD, a HP MFP, basic speakers. so I'm not what you would consider a high end user. i certainly don't strain my PC's abilities and didn't appear to have any issues last night post install.

I've been doing some reading this morning on the Googles but just wanted some more feedback on the following questions relating to 32bit Win7 v 64bit Win7.

Am I losing a great deal of anything in this set up? or am I missing out on anything?
Is there anything i currently use that will be affected in a major performance way by this?

thanks

If you have 8GB of RAM and your CPU obviously is a 64Bit chip then I'd do it since you've only just upgraded so it won't be too hard to reinstall. But you will need to reformat going from 32-64 bit there is no upgrade unfortunately.

Otherwise you are wasting your RAM, and you should just give the extra 4GB that you won't use to me now. :)
10:27am 22/10/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2375 posts

Yes, any extra ram installed goes to waste as mentioned

In all seriousness, probably not.

Tough call, depends on whether the marginal extra performance of 4GB of ram vs 8GB of ram for your expected usage is worth buying Windows again and spending another hour or two of time to reinstall.
10:29am 22/10/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8036 posts
Yeh as mentioned you've lost memory.

However ~3.5G memory (there's shenanigans as to what the actual final figure is) isn't the end of the world unless you are working with really big files (think CAD, massive massive images in photoshop etc).

My work machine is a 32bit computer with 3G ram installed - I regularly run multiple instances of Visual Studio (epic ram hog) and Office apps etc and never run out of memory. Most people run 64 bit OS to be cool, and to future proof the OS as eventually 3.xx GB memory will not be enough.
10:42am 22/10/10 Permalink
Plasma
1177 posts
Yeah definitely go to 64bit, pain in the arse to reinstall but worth it.
10:56am 22/10/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6867 posts
Yeh as mentioned you've lost memory.

However ~3.5G memory (there's shenanigans as to what the actual final figure is) isn't the end of the world unless you are working with really big files (think CAD, massive massive images in photoshop etc).

My work machine is a 32bit computer with 3G ram installed - I regularly run multiple instances of Visual Studio (epic ram hog) and Office apps etc and never run out of memory. Most people run 64 bit OS to be cool, and to future proof the OS as eventually 3.xx GB memory will not be enough.

Yeah running out of Memory is pretty rare unless you're working with humugous files. I also think there's a misconception with 64 bit OS and its abilities to be able to "see" more than 4GB installed RAM. If the application isn't optimised to address beyond 32 bit (which 99% of the applications are) then really you won't see any improvements. Photoshop does come in a 64 bit flavour so it'd definitely be efficient.

But yeah other than that unless you're going work with lots of 32 bit apps simultaneously, (in 64 bit OS hybrid) and are using huge amount of RAMs then in terms of performance and (extra) RAM usage it won't make that much different.

So yeah again, crazymorton, give me your extra RAMs heh
11:00am 22/10/10 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1745 posts
i'll tell my story...

i moved to 64bit win7 within the last 2 months after clinging onto winxp/2000 for quite a while.

was a pain for a little while to find out which old programs worked and which didn't, but there's freeware/open sauce progs that will do the job just as good as your golden oldies.

it starts nice and fast and will handle just about anything i throw at it due to 8gig of ram and an intel ssd.

i love it, would never go back to xp and/or 32bit.

01:27pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9598 posts
You forgot to mention you looooove the c*** :P
01:46pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8047 posts
Corpse - I reckon you're mostly loving Windows7, not Windows 7 64 bit particularly ... unless I'm wrong (which happens a lot) there shouldn't be a big difference unless you;re running out of the memories?
01:47pm 22/10/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1375 posts
thanks guys.
I think I'll change, then I won't be left wondering!
02:56pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1727 posts
There should be no problem running any 32bit programs on 64bit, though there can be some problems running really old XP programs on vista/7.

As for the amount of RAM you'll have, my understanding is that it is: 4GB - (Video RAM + other memory like sounds cards motherboard chips...)
03:06pm 22/10/10 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2090 posts
Tough call, depends on whether the marginal extra performance of 4GB of ram vs 8GB of ram for your expected usage is worth buying Windows again
You don't have to purchase it again, just obtain the 64bit media.
03:54pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2379 posts
Nice! MS has a heart after all.
Tough call still, how much is your hour of reinstall worth? :D
04:21pm 22/10/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1377 posts
"how much is your hour of reinstall worth?"

no probs at all, haven't done anything else since initial OS last night. So a few beers during a second format tonight won't be an issue
04:35pm 22/10/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1378 posts
"You don't have to purchase it again, just obtain the 64bit media."

i missed this....what do you mean?
04:51pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6870 posts
"You don't have to purchase it again, just obtain the 64bit media."

i missed this....what do you mean?

Means that if you don't have the Wind7 64 bit disc already you'll need to contact MS to get one shipped to you or download.
04:55pm 22/10/10 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1746 posts
I reckon you're mostly loving Windows7, not Windows 7 64 bit particularly

actually, i hated it to start with.

before i made the switch i tested it on a VM and loathed what i saw.
so i spent a couple of months going over the internet looking for stuff to turn 7 into an xp lookalike, and now i'm happy with it.

there's a few petty things i don't like, but i can live with it.
05:17pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
413 posts
All you've really done is cut your RAM capacity to 4GB's. With x64, there are a few incompatibility issues with some programs, but they are easily fixed, by either updates, or getting newer version/different software(same use though).
05:36pm 22/10/10 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9053 posts
You don't have to purchase it again, just obtain the 64bit media.

aw c'mon Step - ya could've let them do another 10 replies :P
06:14pm 22/10/10 Permalink
Fez
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Infact just run a windows repair with the 64-bit media, you'll have all your software and data intact and you'll go from 3.5gb of ram back up to the 8gb thats installed.
12:08pm 05/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1267 posts
If you're not gaming or doing really heavy computing (rendering, running science experiments, etc) I don't think there's any point making the upgrade if it costs you anything. In fact, as people have mentioned, 64bit OS's can cause little niggles of their own (or at least my 64bit xp has always been fun to work with).
12:18pm 05/11/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5493 posts
64-bit XP was meant for business, a lot of incompatible software was never made to work with it.
12:23pm 05/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1268 posts
Yeah it was a pretty huge mistake, but got it while I was still a software-engineering student and could get free MS products. Was so kind of them to help prevent me from innovating on competitors' platforms. :P
01:07pm 05/11/10 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2110 posts
64bit OS's can cause little niggles of their own (or at least my 64bit xp has always been fun to work with).
It has come a long way since XP days...
01:29pm 05/11/10 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9073 posts
It has come a long way since XP days...

it's still there mate :(

07:30pm 05/11/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
7526 posts
Just signing in to second everyone else's opinion - your RAM above 3.5GB is not being accessed with the 32bit O/S so install Win 7 64 bit ASAP! (Or a linux 64b variant).

Don't install Vista 64 bit whatever you do. Win 7 32 bit is a better option than Vista 64 bit because of the signed drivers which was a real pain in the arse for me.
08:04pm 05/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:04pm 05/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks