AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
HTC Desire - Root + 2.2 Froyo worklog
gamer
1099 posts
I'll be ammending this post with the worklog I do tonight to update my Telstra $49 cap HTC Desire to 2.2 Frodo (720p vid recording and 802.11n wireless!) and with Root access (because I want to be able to run app2sd and set my phone to be a wireless hostspot, so my mates without 3g can access the net via my phone when they need to etc).

I know alot of people have the same phone so I thought I would share my experience.

Collection of data for it below

1. root & install recovery using unrevoked. (Revoked is an easy way to root and reflash phones. http://unrevoked.com/recovery/ - looks easy enough)

3. Updated the radio. ( Need more info on this??)

3. Install this rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741663 (anyone used this rom? can see anything wrong with it etc?)

Related thread posts

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12136183&postcount=1621
Talking about revoked

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12137224&postcount=1636
"Just updated my Telstra Desire to 2.2 using Unrevoked, this ROM and Radio Rom 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20. "

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12140247&postcount=1649
"Going back to the Telstra ROM is somewhat problematic as it seems all custom ROMs will update the HBOOT from 0.75 to 0.80. The Telstra RUU will apparently only work with the 0.75 HBOOT, there is a way to downgrade from 0.80 to 0.75 but few people need to do this so you could say it's a fairly untested method.
If Telstra put out a new RUU for Froyo this might help but then it may still expect the 0.75 HBOOT as that's what all the Telstra phones have."

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12140588&postcount=1651
"yeah you have to have a goldcard made BEFORE you upgrade to 2.2"

Questions unanswered so far

Q. What is a goldcard? How to make one etc.
Q. How do you update radio? Any files that are needed, what is the right version to use etc?
11:38am 02/09/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:38am 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5128 posts
You can follow a guide here http://www.t-mod.org/?page_id=11

All you do is change out the radio zip for the one you need, and the custom rom zip for the custom rom you want to install. radio versions are typically recommended from the authors of the custom rom (they usually just use whatever latest one they can).
11:45am 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5129 posts

Q. What is a goldcard? How to make one etc.

You don't need one.

"Going back to the Telstra ROM is somewhat problematic as it seems all custom ROMs will update the HBOOT from 0.75 to 0.80. The Telstra RUU will apparently only work with the 0.75 HBOOT, there is a way to downgrade from 0.80 to 0.75 but few people need to do this so you could say it's a fairly untested method.
If Telstra put out a new RUU for Froyo this might help but then it may still expect the 0.75 HBOOT as that's what all the Telstra phones have."

This post must be fairly old (I haven't clicked), but my HTC Desire from Telstra (2 weeks ago) came with HBOOT version 0.83
11:47am 02/09/10 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
1986 posts
It's FroYo not FroDo
11:52am 02/09/10 Permalink
Tremble
Brisbane, Queensland
358 posts

This post must be fairly old (I haven't clicked), but my HTC Desire from Telstra (2 weeks ago) came with HBOOT version 0.83

I rooted my telstra desire using unrevoked and installed Leedroid 1.9a (FroYo + Sense, works really well) and my HBoot is still 0.75.
11:54am 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5130 posts
Haha, I didn't even notice that. I just figured he was talking about a custom release of Froyo called Frodo.

My only point about that post Tremble was that it isn't necessarily correct, the guy posting that himself admits to not being too sure but then claims to know exactly what HBoot every Telstra branded desire is running.
11:55am 02/09/10 Permalink
Tremble
Brisbane, Queensland
359 posts
It's FroYo not FroDo

I knew that android releases were named alphabetically after deserts (cupcake, donut, eclair) but I've only just realised that 'froyo' is short for 'frozen yogurt'.
12:01pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5516 posts
Hahaha, Frodo.

Use the T-Mod ROM ( http://www.t-mod.org/ ). It's the Leedroid Froyo ROM, but modified so it still has the Telstra bits needed to access your account usage and all that jazz. My missus has been running it on her Desire for a while now, and it's fantastic. There's a very noticeable increase in performance on the phone not just compared to 2.1, but even compared to other 2.2 ROMs. Highly recommended.
12:11pm 02/09/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31882 posts
Good timing - I saw there's a new release of http://www.cyanogenmod.com/ that came out yesterday too. I'm tempted to install it; anyone tried it out?
12:13pm 02/09/10 Permalink
myWhiteWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
2902 posts
I've been trawling the nets trying to find a version of cyanogenmod6 that would work on the Samsung Galaxy S so i can't comment, but apparently its the bees knees.
12:32pm 02/09/10 Permalink
gamer
1100 posts
What is it?

I checked their website but the feature list isnt a list, it's a bunch of youtube movies, and i dont have access to youtube atm.
12:53pm 02/09/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31886 posts
01:04pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8308 posts
1. root & install recovery using unrevoked. (Revoked is an easy way to root and reflash phones. http://unrevoked.com/recovery/ - looks easy enough)

wait wait wait, what happened to android just "Being open" ?
what was all that bulls*** about iOS sucking so much because it's restrictive
01:13pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Tremble
Brisbane, Queensland
361 posts

Stock android is much less restrictive than iOS, but there are certain features that rooting enables that aren't available for security purposes (like being able to take screenshots). Certain apps require root access and there is a UAC like program that allows or denies root access.

last edited by Tremble at 13:31:50 02/Sep/10
01:28pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
1987 posts
I've been trawling the nets trying to find a version of cyanogenmod6 that would work on the Samsung Galaxy S so i can't comment, but apparently its the bees knees.

It will be included in the 6.1 release
01:31pm 02/09/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31889 posts
the difference is that Google won't try to sue you if you 'jailbreak' your Android phone. I do think its a bit gay how hard they've made it to do stuff though. Maemo is awesome for this sort of thing.
01:41pm 02/09/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4034 posts
Noob question:

Why are people rooting their desires to get froyo? is it just to get rid of all the telstra branding as well as get the app2sd functionality sooner than later?

I read somewhere that Telstra will be releasing their modified version of 2.2 sometime this month , so obviously it's going to include all their telstra s***, but is it really worth rooting it and voiding your warranty and not wait a few more weeks? (provided that Telstra will be releasing it this month)..

I thought about flashing it myself (the phone, not my dunga dung) but i figured i'd wait at least this month and see what happens and then go from there. The phone is running smooth as, it's just running low on internal memory that's annoying.
01:45pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8311 posts
the difference is that Google won't try to sue you if you 'jailbreak' your Android phone.

apple never tried to sue me either?

Stock android is much less restrictive than iOS, but there are certain features that rooting enables that aren't available for security purposes (like being able to take screenshots).

haha you cant even take a screenshot?! wtf are people saying iOS is restricive for
apple have had screenshots since 0.1!

< /being like an iphone hater aka paveway >

last edited by tequila at 14:21:04 02/Sep/10
02:19pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
7053 posts
When I plug my Android phone into my computer via my normal micro USB cable it mounts as a HDD and I can copy files to and from it, including MP3s from my music library, without additional software.

True story.
02:23pm 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5131 posts
Hey can we not turn this in to another Android vs Apple thread please. Every other Android thread has devolved in to that retarded bulls*** already so go take a dump in one of those.
02:25pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8312 posts
just like every iphone thread is derailed into a "omg apple suck" thread?
cry when its android, rage when its iphone

sounds about right
02:26pm 02/09/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1627 posts
Why are people rooting their desires to get froyo? is it just to get rid of all the telstra branding as well as get the app2sd functionality sooner than later?

I too would like a reasonable explanation to this!
02:28pm 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5132 posts
I don't give a f*** either way, I was a happy iPhone user and am now a happy Desire user. It really is just getting quite old.
02:29pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
7054 posts
I have a T-Mobile branded Desire and if I go into software and check version I have Android 2.1update1

I'm keen to go to Froyo - what is the risk with regards to phone contacts and so on - do you lose that stuff when you update?
02:35pm 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5133 posts
Phone contacts are saved to the cloud if you're using your Google account. MyBackup should let you back up any SMS/MMS you want to keep without root access. Once you have root access you can use Titanium Backup.
02:40pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Vorador
Brisbane, Queensland
1416 posts
Maybe you should use your smart-phone of choice, whatever it may be, to call someone who gives a f*** about your opinion on the smart-phone of choice.

ps SA002 by Sanyo through AU by kddi.
(it calls people, I have a gps, I can sms and email and watch tv. Neat.)
02:40pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
7639 posts
Haha gw reso!
02:43pm 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5134 posts
I fixed it!
02:44pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5517 posts

Things like rooting are around not because of Android, but because of the handset manufacturers. Android itself is completely open, it's just that (some) handset manufacturers decide to put measures in place to stop you from screwing with the system.

And besides, even without rooting, Android still allows you to replace parts you don't like. If you don't like the browser, the keyboard, the homescreen, the mail client, etc, you just install another. Don't for a second act like iOS is less restrictive, you have no idea what you're talking about.
02:56pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8317 posts
yeah but you'll all take the bait no worries
03:02pm 02/09/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4035 posts
I wouldn't even bother responding to Teq's comments. He's just a big useless boofhead.
03:02pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8319 posts
hey hey hold up there a second, who gave you a vote?
also you stink - go wash your feet in your kitchen sink would you

in anycase, restrictive or not I use the f*** out of my iphone and have 0 problems with it, my biggest gripe is itunes
that is easily circumvented with http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/
03:05pm 02/09/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
8 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
03:07pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8178 posts
03:11pm 02/09/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
9 posts
03:16pm 02/09/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
8179 posts
03:18pm 02/09/10 Permalink
myWhiteWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
2904 posts
hey teq, does the iPhone 4 support widgets? IMO Apple have always been great for interfaces and user-friendlessness, and i would still recommend the iPhone to your mother to use, but only if it supported widgets.
03:31pm 02/09/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31890 posts
Yeh can we not turn this into another pissing contest between iphone/android starting...... NOW. Any iphone related posts will be deleted
03:37pm 02/09/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
31891 posts
one good reason is you can install certain apps that are unavailable due to technical limitations in the vanilla Android build (I don't know the details), like OpenVPN. This would be really handy for me so I can use it with our work VPN (which is OpenVPN).
03:43pm 02/09/10 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
790 posts
lawl at teq believing he is a winner

also - i think i'm going to wait for the telstra 2.2 to come out, this seems like a bit of stuffing about for functionality that doesn't crazily appeal to me as i'm not that tech minded, but i can see how it would be useful for others
03:43pm 02/09/10 Permalink
gamer
1101 posts
Telstra 2.2 out in 1 month? Do you have a source on that? - I think it's purely speculation... it could take many many months before Telstra get off their arse and release their 2.2 afaik...

Good on ya, you've made me second guess it all now..
05:15pm 02/09/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
3953 posts
Is there a good case for the htc desire? bought 2 cheap ones of ebay and now I'm willing to get something decent.
05:16pm 02/09/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4038 posts
greasy, I bought a few cases off ebay with screen protectors, data cable, in car charger, phone mount etc for $15. only one case turned out to be good but it's worth it for sure. ill see if I can finda link whenI get home. gamer ill try and find you a source.
05:34pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1341 posts
aside from all the benefits of 2.2 I think the best is the battery life. I am on t-mod 1.3 and battery life is waaaaay better than it was on stock eclair.
05:43pm 02/09/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4039 posts
06:17pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5519 posts
aside from all the benefits of 2.2 I think the best is the battery life. I am on t-mod 1.3 and battery life is waaaaay better than it was on stock eclair.

I'd recommend updating. Missus' phone got a pretty decent speed increase going from 1.3 to 1.4. They're up to 1.6 now I think.
06:27pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1343 posts
Yeah I'm happy with it at the moment but might wait a couple more weeks till it's up to 2.0. I've been following the t-mod thread on whirlpool.
06:32pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5520 posts
Well, technically, it's already 2.0. The ROM it's based on just reached 2.0, T-MOD just adds the necessary Telstra bits, as far as I can tell. That's not going to change any time soon.
06:52pm 02/09/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5135 posts
T-MOD just adds the necessary Telstra bits, as far as I can tell. That's not going to change any time soon.

Just FYI, as far as I can tell, it isn't necessary to run T-Mod just so you don't lose all the Telstra features on a Telstra Desire.

I'm running OpenDesire 3.6.1 and since setting the APNs correctly I'm able to access my usage from m.bigpond.com and all of the Bigpond Mobile stuff shows up with green buttons saying this is unmetered.

I may be missing out on some thing terribly obvious to you since I basically changed the rom on the phone about 1 hour after purchasing it. Feel free to let me know :P

Not saying that T-Mod is awful and you shouldn't use it either, just that you shouldn't feel locked to it just because you're using a Telstra Desire.
07:09pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Nathan
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
3572 posts
That sounds right Reso - I believe the Telstra apps are all just web-page links masquerading as apps. After setting the APNs correctly you should not have a problem.
07:24pm 02/09/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
1510 posts
f*** telstra. all their s*** is useless!
07:28pm 02/09/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6753 posts
Please stop feeding the teq troll. You all should know better heh.
10:31am 03/09/10 Permalink
kos
UK
1477 posts
...update my Telstra $49 cap HTC Desire to 2.2 Frodo (720p vid recording and 802.11n wireless!) and with Root access (because I want to be able to run app2sd and set my phone to be a wireless hostspot...

I'm confused, why do you need to root? Moving apps to the SD card and making a wireless hotspot are already essentially built into 2.2 aren't they?
11:02am 03/09/10 Permalink
Muskie
Perth, Western Australia
2 posts
Hey guys, I'm the lead Dev on T-mod. if ye have any questions, gimmie a poke.

May as well start here. :P

Kos: A2SD+ is quite different from froyo's apps2SD implementation. A2SD+ actually involves creating an ext3 partition on your SD card, and then using it to fool the phone into thinking it has more NAND space, effectively giving you up to 1.5GB of phone memory, that can be used for all apps. FroyoA2SD requires that the app developer code support in specifically, can be finicky, and won't work for any app that has widgets.

As for the wirelss hotspot thing, at the time of posting, Telstra only had a 2.1 ROM available, so OP was rooting and installing 2.2.
02:31pm 29/10/10 Permalink
bargain
Sydney, New South Wales
1726 posts
You're the kinda guy that will be most welcome around these parts Muskie ;)
03:11pm 29/10/10 Permalink
Muskie
Perth, Western Australia
3 posts
Heh. Thanks.
07:54am 02/11/10 Permalink
YoungNastyMan
Sydney, New South Wales
403 posts
How hard is it to root the desire if it's been updated to official FroYo?

Even with apps2sd it's going to run out of space eventually. As cool as everything android sounds, the phone space limits are so fkn archaic and short sighted it's worse than the 640K limit days.
08:40am 02/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
703 posts
anyone had a look at this miui rom? http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1546020

experiences with leedroid vs miui? not quite sure how they differ...

anyway, is it still possible to install apps (e.g. lockscreen pro) over the top of custom roms?
10:06am 06/11/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4324 posts
How hard is it to root the desire if it's been updated to official FroYo?

Even with apps2sd it's going to run out of space eventually. As cool as everything android sounds, the phone space limits are so fkn archaic and short sighted it's worse than the 640K limit days.
Totally agree. I'm on telstra's 2.2 atm and already i've only got 40mb's left. Rooting is not a matter of if but when.
11:44am 06/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17350 posts
Last night I did a fair bit of reading and for those wanting custom roms it seems you have to be careful of which rom you use. If you have an sLCD screen and use an AMOLED rom apparently you lose the screen because the drivers are different. Confirm/deny anyone?

matchfixah: are you going to root any time soon? if so tell me how it goes because I wouldn't mind doing it on mine but don't wanna be the guinea pig :p

oh yeah I've got 95 meg left in my phone, do phones work like computers where ram != storage space or is the internal 'hard drive' shared between working memory & storage like creating a ram drive in windows?

last edited by Whoop at 15:54:42 06/Nov/10
03:51pm 06/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
704 posts
woohoo, successful root!

i rooted to miui_au. it's booting up now. it's probably taken me 2-2.5 hours, but half of that was waiting for iso's and files to download. i also took a bit of time to work out rooting =/= format. i guess the root just enables third party OS to be installed. your existing data is removed just before you install the new rom.

anyway, give it a shot. worked fine for me (i used linux boot cd to root and not the windows method)

edit: spoke too soon. stuck on loading screen. d'oh

last edited by iTOM at 16:25:23 06/Nov/10
04:08pm 06/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17357 posts
Ok I got bored & rooted my desire, not gonna bother with custom ROM's just yet but if I try to delete certain apps they still appear in the app list and then when you reboot the phone they've returned. :@ FU TELSTRA, you and your hax ROM's with undeletable s***.

And by when you reboot they're back I mean they're back in the /system/app directory like you'd never deleted them even though an ls after deleting shows they're not there anymore before the reboot.

What's a good custom rom that'll work on an sLCD desire?

last edited by Whoop at 06:20:15 07/Nov/10
04:33am 07/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
706 posts
all sorted for anyone following my woes! reinstalled the rom and it worked
11:23am 07/11/10 Permalink
gamer
1405 posts
can you do a write up on how to do it mate? whats uber about the rom you used?
11:51am 07/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
707 posts
well it wasn't too hard. i did a bit of research and the miui rom seemed to be very slick, basic and apparently better on the battery. quick too. i found the whirlpool thread and the miui wiki page and followed the steps exactly:
http://www.miui-au.mainplan.com/?page_id=11

created the sd card partition first (this is a _must_) which was simple (this is to trick the phone into thinking it is installing apps onto internal memory). kept going with the steps and was fine. had to create 2 bootable cds; one for the sd card partitioning and the other to boot into ubuntu to root.

i guess my reasoning behind rooting was, well, nothing really. i noticed slight lag lately so i figured i might as well give it a shot. there are a few additional apps that can only be installed on a rooted android, e.g. brightness changing apps, backup app. anyway, my favourite feature so far is the battery % indicator. no longer do i have to put up with the vague progress bar (next to the time)!

PS. if you haven't done this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712990, do it as soon as you can. no joke. i think i get another 12 or so hours out of my battery
05:09pm 07/11/10 Permalink
Jabroney
Queensland
1285 posts
while we are on a related topic, i didnt want to start a new post, but does anyone know much about the HTC Desire HD??

I'm due a new phone to replace my iphone 3g and this is on the top of the list. It's only with vodafone however.
05:15pm 07/11/10 Permalink
gamer
1408 posts
iTom wtf with the battery trick? lol... spin in a circle while holding your phone in left hand and charging then unplug then spin right in circle then plug back in and charge for example 24 seconds then unplug... then run around like a chicken.

why the f*** does that even work?
09:04pm 07/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
708 posts
afaik it's somehow tricking the phone and battery in thinking it's not completely charged... i guess the phone probably has some reserve charge in it??
09:53pm 07/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17363 posts
Yeah I charged my phone up, completely charged then after rooting it, it didn't think it was fully charged so charged itself for a few more hours and now my battery does seem to last a lot longer. I reckon HTC probably played it safe with an auto charging cutoff but played it a bit TOO safe and the battery didn't fully charge, that method probably just kicks a bit more charge into it.

I didn't do the exact trick they did nor do I know whether it was the extra charge or just the fact the phone is now rooted but yeah I swear my battery does last a tiny bit longer but would I say 12 hours longer? Probably not quite that much.

I cbf taking my phone apart but is the batter a Li-Ion or Li-Po battery? If it's a lithium polymer (Li-Po) don't over charge that s***
02:12am 08/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
709 posts
lion
06:31am 08/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17368 posts
That's not so bad then, we've got a Li-Ion powered drill at work and it gets dropped, kicked, battery left on charge over night & it's still fine but if y'all see your phone getting fatter, don't bother hounding the neighbours for getting your baby pregnant just run coz it's gonna blow captain.

Mr Tom, you've rooted & flashed to a new rom etc, is it possible to go back to the way the phone was when you bought it by running the RUU from telstra (or a generic HTC one?). If you f*** up the rom and the phone won't boot can it still be fixed by using the recovery image that unrevoked puts there? So like the ROM is windows and the recovery image is like dos if windows is broken you can always load up a cmd prompt & format c, is the phone like that? I'm itching to get rid of the useless telstra s*** and since rm'ing them doesn't seem to work (hax) wondering if a generic HTC image would do me but I don't want to get the wrong one & end up not being able to see the screen (AMOLED vs sLCD).
06:48pm 08/11/10 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1343 posts

Reason: Because there is no delete button.
12:17am 09/11/10 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
710 posts
hey whoopy, you can download the standard roms that are preloaded on the desire when you get it. i think you can even download the rom from the htc site!

i've never heard of your lcd vs amoled screen issue - are you sure it exists? I haven't seen anything re: this. how did get you an slcd desire? anyway, check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=764010 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801052
it seems to say that the rom has to support slcd (maybe the first roms that appeared on the market didn't) but apparently all active ones do. but the second poster has a good point - if it doesn't work, you can just go back into clockwork (this is kinda like dos where you can delete, install s***) and restore
07:03am 09/11/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
17396 posts
Ahh cool. Yeah I dunno if the issue exists but I spent all night reading s*** and a few people mentioned it.

RE removing the telstra apps, it seems I had to be in recovery mode and mount the /system dir using clockwork. I guess while the phone is being used it won't let you delete apps but once in recovery mode you can mess with it as much as you like.
how did get you an slcd desire?

I don't exactly know that I do, the guy in JB told me it was slcd but stuffs me how you tell. I just didn't want to end up flashing the wrong rom and lose my screen but if recovery mode works regardless of whether the rom does or not and allows you to reflash then it's game on b******.

My main concern though was removing the useless telstra apps and now I've figured out how to do that I don't think I'll bother with custom roms.

edit: xda post slcd/amoled screen going black does exist btw. moral of the story: don't f*** with HBOOT.

last edited by Whoop at 05:03:42 13/Nov/10
04:51am 13/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:51am 13/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close