AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Woodridge Race Riots
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9766 posts

TENSIONS have continued to bubble in Logan tonight, after Premier Campbell Newman today told those involved in a weekend of racial violence in Woodridge to 'cool down'.

It was all police could do to control a large group of Pacific Islanders who tried to march down to a group of Aboriginals just before 7pm.

Members of the large group tore posts from wood fences to use as weapons.

Police were able to control the incident.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/logan-tensions-on-the-rise-after-cars-damaged-in-alleged-racial-attack/story-e6freoof-1226553302614

Channel 7 showed live footage tonight of lots of guys with fence palings and someone had a didgeredoo as a weapon, another dude had a Bull mastiff on a leash. Cops were trying to calm them down but there was only a handful of cops.
Car windows have been smashed and threats to burn down homes, outta control.
things going bad down in the deep south of Brisbane.

Sounds like more Multiculturalism Fail.
08:53pm 14/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:53pm 14/01/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2473 posts
Sounds like over hyped lameness.
08:55pm 14/01/13 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1301 posts
sounds like a typical woodridge weekend amirite?
08:57pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34963 posts
i did notice the end of the news had another show down tonite.

relax darkies, lets all just get along bros
09:16pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13171 posts
last night was about the 40th night of rioting over here, mostly comprised of kids throwing petrol and paint bombs and bricks and concrete at cops, setting buses and cars on fire and smashing up shopfronts that don't have roller doors

all because the council democratically decided to fly the union flag only on designated days instead of 365 days a year on belfast city hall

some people just gotta be f***heads
09:32pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21138 posts
No one in the house knew what was going on and kept dialling triple zero, but police took more than an hour to show up, he said.
Sounds about right. Speed ever so slightly and the cops are guaranteed to be round the next corner, have your life threatened and they're hours away, chasing grannies in hondas.

Less hoon chasing, more life saving plz.

(no I'm not a hoon)
09:40pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34964 posts
yes you are, you drive a turbo
09:41pm 14/01/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10445 posts
lols, southside.
09:43pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21140 posts
FYI I drive my turbo like a nanna.

ps. buy my corolla spook. only needs a tyre, cv boot, a tail light and wipers to pass an RWC.
09:45pm 14/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17699 posts
does it need any welding done? spook only buys his corollas that require a bunch of cutting and welding and shot electrics
09:47pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21141 posts
lol. no I've already welded up all the rust because I know how s*** he is at it :)
09:51pm 14/01/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3740 posts
I phoned the police once because of a domestic. The chick ran with her kids to her next door neighbour, so he started ramming the house. Yes, ramming the house with his car. Response time, four hours (that was with multiple calls from lots of different people and there is a 24 hour police station two minutes at the speed limit away). He drove off when I threw a fuel can threw his rear window. Side note, several years later they are still together.
09:52pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2235 posts
Less hoon chasing, more life saving plz.

I live next to bogans that on a weekly basis do burn outs in their own driveway after 11 at night.
Called the cops twice and they have never come.
Even tracked down the real estate agent they go through to let them know and they were there in less than 5 mins.

The state of the police at the moment needs serious attention.
09:55pm 14/01/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6248 posts
mean while in the city, the fuzz clamp down on the jwalking epidemic.

10:17pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12404 posts
Clearly the streets are not meant for walking.. they're for rioting..

This has been an paid for message from QPS.

Also maybe Newman was misquoted as it was pretty hot on the weekend.. he was prolly just telling everyone to goto southbank and have a swim to cool down.
10:27pm 14/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19422 posts
10:35pm 14/01/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3741 posts
Feel sorry for the cops that attended first. Wonder how much paperwork they needed to fill out for that couple of minutes.
11:07pm 14/01/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4072 posts
I wouldnt call it a riot. have you seen a riot before? this is a fight between 2 families..

Less hoon chasing revenue raising, more life saving plz

fixed.
11:33pm 14/01/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3861 posts
I wouldnt call it a riot. have you seen a riot before? this is a fight between 2 families..

I agree, more of a family feud. But not like the following.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Wc_Ah83bjVk/0.jpg
11:47pm 14/01/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1814 posts
Man, gotta give those cops standing in the middle some respect, totally outnumbered.
12:49am 15/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13364 posts
Feel sorry for whoever owns what's left of that fence!
01:13am 15/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34965 posts
Feel sorry for whoever owns what's left of that fence!

came to poast this!

fences arent cheap! (especially one that high)
05:48am 15/01/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10473 posts
does it worry you that you are losing touch so fast spook? just post the tweet next time ya old fart.
07:59am 15/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34968 posts
i was more interested in australia's most social media savy politician though, then whatever rtarded thing he was saying.
08:24am 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7150 posts
yay for lnp politicians!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/lnp-mp-for-bowman-andrew-laming-weighs-into-race-tensions-on-twitter-with-controversial-tweet/story-e6frfro0-1226553935301

I wonder if he asked the same question after the cronulla riots, which were a far worse ethnic clash - or whether, shock horror, he's the poorly concealed 'conservative' xenophobe of the week.
08:33am 15/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34969 posts
with insightful comments like that, he should be on the radio!
08:37am 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13172 posts
can't see anything racial in his quoted comment
how dare someone make a negative comment about those poor dole bludgers
10:37am 15/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34971 posts
it was just whats required to calm the situation down!
10:40am 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13173 posts
needs more plasma tv money you reckon
10:43am 15/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3767 posts
They'd be VB drinkers i reckon
10:47am 15/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34972 posts
vb produces feelings of love and empathy for your fellow man, it certainly doesnt make you hate fences.
10:51am 15/01/13 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3590 posts
spook's right - we need another kevin 07 refund so they stop stealing other peoples fences to start riots and buy their own.

10:56am 15/01/13 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3768 posts
i reckon the fence owner was after a refurb anyway so he encouraged them
11:05am 15/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5595 posts
vb produces feelings of love and empathy for your fellow man, it certainly doesnt make you hate fences.
Fences might be safe from VB drinkers maybe, but glass windows of tyre showrooms aren't
11:08am 15/01/13 Permalink
Tele
Gold Coast, Queensland
333 posts
Mean while i called the cops because of loud music and i add i could also smell pot and sure enough the police were there in 10 mins. Good work guys =D Least i was able to have good nice sleep =D, I dont normally call police but this was a Sunday night at 12am worse n**** music ever too.. ekekeke
11:14am 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19423 posts
give em a break, they're just all hard workin aussies *WINK*
11:20am 15/01/13 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6235 posts
11:37am 15/01/13 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4132 posts
Cronulla riots were on a Sunday
11:41am 15/01/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6368 posts
Caused a stir on a friends page last night when I said "What happens to the aboriginals that are causing this, will they be deported as well?
12:30pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
571 posts
How the f*** this is a riot? lame ass
01:06pm 15/01/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8117 posts
I'm still trying to figure out how it's a racial thing.

01:22pm 15/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10672 posts
because they're black
01:24pm 15/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17701 posts
abos v islanders

apparently it's been on down in those parts for a while, some kid was pushed or fell onto train tracks and got hit not that long during a dispute between them at the train station

the government is puting them all up in house commission homes in the same area there and they aren't getting along
01:49pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7151 posts
can't see anything racial in his quoted comment how dare someone make a negative comment about those poor dole bludgers

I think that you're reading a left-wing hippy meaning which wasn't behind what I said. I am fine with criticizing dole bludgers, presuming that's one's actual motivation, and that one takes into account realistic issues such as differences in privilege before oversimplifying things and becoming too judgemental.

The problem is that he was using an ethnic clash to start having an unrelated rant about welfare, a slippery attempt at propaganda against multiple targets by painting them together as heavily-implied cause-and-effect (Otherwise, why did he bring it up? Is he to imply that the ethnic genocide in Tasmania done because the British were on welfare? The cronulla rioters? Or is he just trying to find a way to throw all sorts of things into the mix to reinforce a well-known xenophobic/anti-commie ideological narrative?). It's the way that - rather than use facts and figures about a system - the lowest-common-denominator fox-news-conservative types use fictions and wild assumptions to paint their hysterical hatred of things, and if they can link things which they don't like together, all the better.

There are many easily-identifiable ideologies out there, where 'innocent' questions are asked in such unimaginative ways that it leaves the askers completely exposed as spouters of pre-defined ideologies. e.g. when the ACL innocently describes marriage as between a man and a woman, anybody with a brain knows what's going on clear as day. Anybody who has been on this planet for more than a few years is aware of the strong trend amongst ultra right wingers to intermix their xenophobia and hatred of "communism" together. If they can innocently bring up both in relation to each other, they salivate at the chance.

Anybody playing "innocent" when asking these loaded questions is an embarrassment to the species. It's like an adult putting their hands over their eyes and insisting "you-can't-see-me".
07:21pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19425 posts
the fact that the disturbance occurred during a weekday afternoon (i.e. working hours) is a great tip off that they were mostly welfare recipients.
07:28pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7152 posts
the fact that the disturbance occurred during a weekday afternoon (i.e. working hours) is a great tip off that they were mostly welfare recipients.

Yes and?

Where did it become relevant except for character assassination of two conservative hatreds at once? If there's a middle class drunk driver, do we randomly start a rant against the family tax benefit?
07:31pm 15/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
879 posts
08:26pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22077 posts
I loved his clarification that he was obviously told to post by the higher ups that went along the lines of 'what I actually meant was that training programs need to be bettered' or something. It kind of reminded me of infi's little clarification that he was forced to post by the higher ups when he ejaculated all of his stupidity on his blog after he received help from his corrupt mate Santo.
08:32pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6748 posts
It was just before 7pm, that's hardly working hours.
08:34pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13178 posts
I don't think there was anything useful about the guy's comment at all, just saying there's no obvious reason to suggest it was racial
08:35pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6749 posts
...just saying there's no obvious reason to suggest it was racial
OK, here's a hypothetical situation for you:
News report a story on a German guy killing someone. Someone posts on Twitter "I bet the victim was Jewish". Are they being racist?
09:05pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
753 posts
Mean while i called the cops because of loud music and i add i could also smell pot and sure enough the police were there in 10 mins. Good work guys =D Least i was able to have good nice sleep =D, I dont normally call police but this was a Sunday night at 12am worse n**** music ever too.. ekekeke

Sad boy Tele, the old Tele would have went over and joined in for a smoke and a toke.
09:05pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6164 posts
I thought his comments were more based on the location, and the socio-economic generalisation that most people (Especially those who live in Brisbane) give to that particular area, Woodridge, not race.

It's funny. At the moment Reddit is saying this guy is an a******* and anyone agreeing is getting upvotes, but there is a thread in /r/brisbane where the op basically says the same thing (and also says to avoid Logan at all cost) which is being upvoted.
09:12pm 15/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9773 posts
They prolly learned about the dark art of Ultimate Fence Paling Fighting (UFPF) doing Work-For-The-Dole.

09:13pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5600 posts
Old mate from the lnp just seems to be suggesting that if, instead of ripping fence palings off existing fences, those involved had found gainful employment in the fence construction industry we might not be having this discussion.

Perhaps not most eloquent or timely way to put forward that viewpoint, and strangely incognisant of his role as MP in encouraging aforementioned participation but it's a somewhat valid point.
09:17pm 15/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17703 posts
old mates fence obviously wasn't built that well if they're just ripping palings off like it ain't no thang

if that mother f***** was screwed together it would have been a different story
09:17pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13180 posts
OK, here's a hypothetical situation for you:News report a story on a German guy killing someone. Someone posts on Twitter "I bet the victim was Jewish". Are they being racist?

if a tree falls in the forest, does it make your hypothetical question any less inapplicable to the comment you're posing it in response to?
09:19pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7153 posts
It's funny. At the moment Reddit is saying this guy is an a******* and anyone agreeing is getting upvotes, but there is a thread in /r/brisbane where the op basically says the same thing (and also says to avoid Logan at all cost) which is being upvoted.

I don't think that anybody's saying that these people aren't s*** and possibly abusing the system. It's just that it's like a die hard leftie labor politician jumping on a bad thing done by a business leader to go on about how business leaders are abusers of employees, will always f*** over the community for a dollar, have no ethics, etc.

They have a stupider reason for weighing in, they're trying to paint a larger picture with rhetoric about what they're opposed to whenever they get a chance, instead of what is necessarily actually true on a large scale, or what is really relevant to the situation at hand.

e.g. A ku klux klan clan member is going to jump on an incident of violence and call it a black problem, not a socioeconomic or cultural problem, and not face that violence is also done by caucasians, because they're set in their way of twisting things to their ideological narrative. As is the libtard with his "let's twist this incident into somehow being about non-whites & welfare, when we could just dig up actual stats on the effectiveness of welfare and nature of recipients if we were interested in criticizing such things honestly, rather than trying to link a bad event to them by raw association."
09:20pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2236 posts
You can clearly see many of the islanders wearing work uniforms in the video.
09:26pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5601 posts
Sounds like you're giving the MP too much credit for orchestration of a wide ranging conspiracy Nerf. Remember the LNP couldn't organise a chook raffle before Newman came along.

Is it not simpler to just attribute the comments to idiot-foot-in-mouth syndrome?
09:27pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7154 posts
Sounds like you're giving the MP too much credit for orchestration of a wide ranging conspiracy Nerf. Remember the LNP couldn't organise a chook raffle before Newman came along.Is it not simpler to just attribute the comments to idiot-foot-in-mouth syndrome?

I don't think that he sounds like he has the intelligence to conspire towards anything. I'm suggesting that it's exactly a foot-in-mouth syndrome problem, that these people aren't really interested in the accuracy of what they say, and are just out to score points for their xenophobic/"anti-commie" narrative wherever they can.

They're heroes in a fight against nothing really relevant. They aren't interested in what actually motivated the violence or how to fix it, they just want to criticize welfare and those who've received it by negative association on any detail, regardless of whether such things are done by plenty of others in our society too.
09:31pm 15/01/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3746 posts
Should set up a paypal fund to hire a couple of inflated Sumo suits. Line them all up on each side. One by one, loser buys the winner a soft serve from maccy D's.
09:38pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19426 posts
the incident is racial insofar as the two opposing sides of the disputes are racially aligned, but the problem is anti-social lawless behaviour.

if it was white people we would be calling them drunken yobbos (ah lah cronulla, coppers acknowledged there was alcohol involved), but because they are not white instead we hear terms like "cultural sensitivity" and commentators blaming the government, and have the Premier falling over himself to offer to relocate them to other public housing. this is not time for individual accountability is it...

it's all funded by the taxpayer, this multicultural melting pot of friendship, which has police standing between feuding families praying nobody gets hurt.
09:43pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6165 posts
Right... so basically you're racist against LNP members, you even label them all as 'lefties'
Holding a different set of obligations and standards to them then you would the general public. Treating them like an outcast that must be doing something wrong... because you don't like what they believe in and stand for.
09:45pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22078 posts
It was pretty blatant dogwhistle racism I thought. I'd say who cares but he is involved in indigenous health at some level. Pretty s***** to have a person in that position who is obviously prejudiced.
09:46pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7155 posts
the incident is racial insofar as the two opposing sides of the disputes are racially aligned, but the problem is anti-social lawless behaviour. if it was white people we would be calling them drunken yobbos (ah lah cronulla, coppers acknowledged there was alcohol involved), but because they are not white instead we hear terms like "cultural sensitivity" and commentators blaming the government, and have the Premier falling over himself to offer to relocate them to other public housing. this is not time for individual accountability is it...it's all funded by the taxpayer, this multicultural melting pot of friendship, which has police standing between feuding families praying nobody gets hurt.

infi is proving my point, bless him. Google for one example of the phrase "cultural sensitivity" used in relation to the woodridge incident. He's raging against imaginary rhetorical enemies.
09:50pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19427 posts
You obviously didn't listen to 612 ABC this morning.
09:58pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6750 posts
if a tree falls in the forest, does it make your hypothetical question any less inapplicable to the comment you're posing it in response to?
The only way it could be inapplicable is if Laming didn't know the race of the people involved.
10:00pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22079 posts
I guess the obvious question is, what's wrong with showing cultural sensitivity?
10:01pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19428 posts
commentators seeking to blame the system are distracting from the individual responsibility not to commit crimes or engage in anti-social behaviour.
10:10pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3345 posts
I really love it when QGL posters put there political hats on. QGL for PM! We have all the answers to the worlds problems!
10:10pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22080 posts
commentators seeking to blame the system are distracting from the individual responsibility not to commit crimes or engage in anti-social behaviour.
In your honest opinion, why do you think that minority groups engage in more anti-social behavior and commit more crimes than white people?
10:20pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19429 posts
Two factors primarily: unemployment and cultural norm of settling disputes through violence which is common both in indigenous and Pacific cultures.
10:28pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13181 posts
The only way it could be inapplicable is if Laming didn't know the race of the people involved.

false
it doesn't matter what race anyone was, because none of the words in his comment had anything to do with race
10:28pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19430 posts
Stop reading Laming so LITERALLY and imply some meanings into his words, Jim.
10:33pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7156 posts
Not being able to read between the lines on a very repetitive ideological issue is probably a diagnosable condition of some sort (limited mental faculty?), but I won't suggest that you guys have it because I'm pretty sure that you're just being difficult.

Shall we take this video by the Australian Christian Lobby literally and presume that their opposition to gay marriage is born out of "defending" the definition of marriage? Did we all really just take stupid pills?

There was absolutely no reason to even bring welfare up in the first place. We have a known problem with mentally handicapped citizens who salivate over the whole "non whites on welfare" rhetoric, the same as those who the "stop the boats" rhetoric appeals to, etc, and reading between the lines in Australia is really not that difficult.
10:42pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22081 posts
unemployment and cultural norm of settling disputes through violence which is common both in indigenous and Pacific cultures.
There is just as much if not more violence in white-people history as there is in indigenous and pacific islander history. The most violent conflict that ever took place that claimed between 60-70 million lives mainly had white people taking part in it, for example. Now if you are saying that they are more violent than average today because violence is a part of their culture then how come that isn't applying to us also?

As for unemployment, why is there so much unemployment? What is the variable which causes people of a minority group to have higher instances of unemployment than those who aren't part of a minority group?
10:47pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6751 posts
false it doesn't matter what race anyone was, because none of the words in his comment had anything to do with race
No, the subject of the tweet was people from racial minorities. It's either naive or intellectually dishonest to claim he was only talking about people from Woodridge.
10:50pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13182 posts
having a perspective different than yours doesn't mean I'm being difficult. it just annoys me that people read racism into this when there's no reason to

I'm not even going to bother looking at your link at this point because it's beside the point imo
10:50pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19431 posts
My mother in law works as a social worker for a Maximum Security prison in NT (97% indigenous). Needless to say I have learned a lot about indigenous culture from her, I'm no expert so though so I will keep my thoughts to myself. They are very different to us and don't understand a lot of Western laws.
10:57pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13183 posts
No, but the subject of the tweet was people from racial minorities. It's either naive or intellectually dishonest to claim he was only talking about people from Woodridge.

are you referring to subject as in a textual heading? I didn't see any heading, only the quoted comment in spook's link - which incidentally, doesn't seem to be making the same leap you are either

if not, and you're referring to the subject matter itself, then in conjunction with the tweet it's as much about the area as it is racial minorities. just look at some of the replies to the OP of this thread to see that

"sounds like a typical woodridge weekend amirite?"

"lols, southside."
10:59pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7157 posts
Question for you Jim, when you read this piece by this conservative paper, do you believe that they're really just standing up for the "thousands of objecting players" as they seem to indicate?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/14/star-wars-game-segregates-gay-characters-on-gay-planet/

Or can you read ulterior motive pulling from other things which you know about our culture and the people publishing the article?
11:11pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22082 posts
All of a sudden the most outspoken conservative on QGL wants to keep his thoughts to himself.

A social worker who works in a prison (and hence only interacts with prisoners) knows nothing about indigenous culture. Like literally zilch. I can only imagine the conversations you've had with her.

If you want to be so outspoken about how the system shouldn't be blamed then I'd really encourage you to share your super-secret thoughts with the olde QGL forum. You see I think the system is to blame. Looking at the timeframe, I see the whole indigenous people's culture reconciling with western culture problem as still being in its infancy. It's not something that can be solved by simply throwing money at it and hoping it goes away. It's about education, not just for them but for us too. For a grown man to think that he can learn something about indigenous culture by speaking to some social worker who works in a prison indicates that there is still a lot for white people to learn. Aboriginal people were here for around 60,000 years before we arrived, and we have only been for just over 200 years. It's the same sort of timeframe for the USA as well. Now I know everyone is getting impatient at those lazy black people for not getting with the program and getting jobs but so much more time and patience is required.

So another thing that is required is the dreaded cultural sensitivity. The system is failing these people and while it doesn't grant people the right to commit crimes that go completely unpunished it is something that needs to be recognised. If mistakes aren't learnt from and things don't change then these problems will just keep going on forever.
11:12pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6166 posts
Yeah, b****** be hating on my Logan.
Nerf thinks that's A-OK... unless you're a LNP Polly/Member. If you are, you're a racist bigot!
11:13pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7158 posts
Yeah, b****** be hating on my Logan. Nerf thinks that's A-OK... unless you're a LNP Polly/Member. If you are, you're a racist bigot!

Nope.

It's depending on what you say, and where I've heard it before.

"Southside is a hellhole" - fact or amusing exaggeration, I don't care.

"Aborigines and Pacific Islanders clashed" followed by "rant about people on centrelink". Why bring this entirely irrelevant thing up? Answer: Because some people in Australia have an obsession with always linking 'lesser' non-whites and welfare, obsessed with trying to paint a negative picture about both. For well-established and easily-recognisable reasons, stemming from xenophobia and hysterical indoctrination against anything "communism"y, regardless of how well it does or doesn't work. This is stupidly easily to recognise, particularly from an lnp party member.
11:20pm 15/01/13 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
1217 posts
I cbf reading all of this thread to date, but I am friends on facebook with one person involved so I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

From what I have observed from this fellows facebook posts and posts of others that he has been sharing.. Tensions were already very high, and s*** had been happening, until the other day a large group of samoans entered the home of an Aboriginal Pastor and trashed the place and smashed his vehicle. I don't think the Pastor and his family were home so the abo community in the area went to the house to try to stop them.

The Samoans left when they were done but continued to drive up and down the street and around the block intimidating. In the meantime all the abo's were calling on facebook for their brothas and sistas (sic) from woodridge to come and help show a presence as they were vastly outnumbered by the samoans.

Ever since it's been getting worse and has been all over the news. There's obviously two sides of the story but I'm just relaying what I've read directly.

11:23pm 15/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19432 posts
but so much more time and patience is required

and some more beatings too, beatings of neighbours, beatings of their owns wives, drinking the booze and molesting the kids, it will all lessen with time. it all takes time i know. one day the penny will drop, we just need to be patient.maybe another 10,000 years to be fair? using the analogies you have raised are no excuse for violation of people's rights to personal safety RIGHT NOW.
11:24pm 15/01/13 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
1218 posts
In my above post I meant to say calling for people to come from woodridge AND inala, but I am getting a login error when trying to edit my post within the 10min.
11:26pm 15/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22083 posts
Okay, now wipe away the froth and tell us why you think the increased crime exists, and how you suggest stopping it.

edit: btw, culture of violence is hilariously wrong which is why I said education is required on both sides.
11:27pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7159 posts
and some more beatings too, beatings of neighbours, beatings of their owns wives, drinking the booze and molesting the kids, it will all lessen with time. it all takes time i know. one day the penny will drop, we just need to be patient.maybe another 10,000 years to be fair? using the analogies you have raised are no excuse for violation of people's rights to personal safety RIGHT NOW.

I'm all for intervention into aborigine communities, I don't give a s*** about people's cultures, nor respect them.

The politician's comments, however, read like a very different and well known mode of thought.

(I also wouldn't mind if the government relied on credible scientific advice for how to help people f*** up less, including myself in many ways. Every little thing such as education about brushing teeth is of more probable benefit than not. Funny though that infi who complains about fluoridation being mass medication expects the government to intervene in these people's lives)
11:28pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13184 posts
Question for you Jim, when you read this piece by this conservative paper, do you believe that they're really just standing up for the "thousands of objecting players" as they seem to indicate?http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/14/star-wars-game-segregates-gay-characters-on-gay-planet/Or can you read ulterior motive pulling from other things which you know about our culture and the people publishing the article?

The article comes off as relatively neutral to me
I don't know anything about foxnews and the article didn't seem to me that it's author was trying to stand up for anyone, it just seemed to be providing general information about the issue
11:31pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7160 posts
Question for you Jim, when you read this piece by this conservative paper, do you believe that they're really just standing up for the "thousands of objecting players" as they seem to indicate? http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/14/star-wars-game-segregates-gay-characters-on-gay-planet/ Or can you read ulterior motive pulling from other things which you know about our culture and the people publishing the article
The article comes off as relatively neutral to me I don't know anything about foxnews and the article didn't seem to me that it's author was trying to stand up for anyone, it just seemed to be providing general information about the issue

They release one planet in the expansion, and add same-sex flirting options for their voice acted game, and an article written about it with wording such as 'segregates' and 'gay planet' comes off as neutral and without twisting to some motive to you?

I take it back, you may actually have a condition where you are unable to read people very well.
11:38pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13185 posts
heh I don't know anything about the game/expac or how many planets it has. the article said something about it only being allowed on one planet

maybe you can spell it out for me, I am actually open to your opinion

I must say though, it seems to be going to quite a stretch just to make me feel I must read more into this polly's twitter quote
11:50pm 15/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7161 posts
SWTOR is adding one planet - the first since launch - on which they are also finally getting the voice acting done with same sex flirting options.

Fox News tries to create a huge apparent drama about it, making bioware out to be twisted hypocritical starry-eyed gay supporters who actually in principle can only support segregation (e.g. see the title, and the large quote chosen on the side), and note "thousands of complaints" when every mmo has (usually more) complaints about every single thing added or removed (the facebook fan page alone has millions of followers, "thousands of complaints" is surprisingly low, especially when they're generally just "you should be focusing on this other more exciting thing that I like").

It's conservative character assassination of anybody who supports "gays" at its best. The wording and context-twisting for the purpose of manipulating conservative readers into both rage (at including gays, and for forcing their libreralness on everybody else when users clearly don't want it) and smug judgement (making bioware out to be hypocrites who could only achieve it with "segregation") is frankly a little terrifying to know that somebody committed their time to writing that dishonest rubbish.
12:23am 16/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5602 posts
Some dimwit tweets something stupid and we're off to the races with the ACL, gay star wars planets, fox news & conservative bigotry.

I don't think you'd like twitter Nerf, 140 characters doesn't quite lend itself to ranty tangents.
12:44am 16/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13186 posts
I don't see it like that, I find it far more subtle if at all

I'm not going to suggest you have a mental condition that causes you to arrive at your point of view though, I simply realise that people see things differently for a variety of reasons
12:46am 16/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7099 posts
I don't think you'd like twitter Nerf, 140 characters doesn't quite lend itself to ranty tangents.

golf clapping the s*** out of this
12:50am 16/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7162 posts
conservative bigotry.

Pretty much just "the stock standard manipulative way that 'conservatives' bulls*** the world over, on all topics."

I'm not sure if that's an insult? "You wouldn't like speaking in tiny pointless quips, you actually like getting to the meat of an issue."

I don't see it like that, I find it far more subtle if at all.

Well, meh. I think that you are strangely blind to very blatant manipulative writing. Seemingly everybody else was able to immediately observe the insane spin.
01:46am 16/01/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8120 posts
As i e ou nothing I'll give you all this one for nothing.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
02:07am 16/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5603 posts
"You wouldn't like speaking in tiny pointless quips, you actually like getting to the meat of an issue."

Are we getting to the meat of the issue though? I didn't look like I was alone when I couldn't follow the connection between The Blue Oyster planet in SW:TOR with an MP supposedly conflating the issues of racial tension and welfare recipients.
02:26am 16/01/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1821 posts
Can you really argue, with evidential basis, that the Aboriginals and Islanders don't have a sufficiently different cultural and ideological mindset so as to be at odds (To what level is variable) with Western orientated Australians?

It seems to me that the differences could be huge, which would lead to all sorts of issues.. especially when you add communication breakdowns.

My mother used to work for Mission Australia and they did loads of work with indigenous Australians, even via relay from that I heard quite a few bits and pieces about differences of understanding. Apparently some of the more rural tribes don't understand a lot of what we call modern society.
03:40am 16/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34977 posts
last nite i prayed to jesus, that there would be a race war in dbay, just so my southside wouldnt look so bad.

DONT LET ME DOWN NOW JESUS.
05:59am 16/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13187 posts
Well, meh. I think that you are strangely blind to very blatant manipulative writing. Seemingly everybody else was able to immediately observe the insane spin.

I think you're overly imaginative, to put it nicely. I tried trawling through your reddit link but it doesn't support your claim

And your swotor link requires a site login
06:12am 16/01/13 Permalink
taggs
6066 posts
I take it back, you may actually have a condition where you are unable to read people very well.

Thank god we have nerfy to explain what it all means and to protect us from the bad, manupulative people out there!!

He's also taking time out of his busy schedule to diagnose mental health conditions via forum posts. What a stand up member of the community.

Thanks nerf, keep fighting the good fight.
07:51am 16/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3666 posts
taggs, I think i wet myself with laughter, i thought the truth was meant to hurt
08:26am 16/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6167 posts
he's the poorly concealed 'dole bludger' of the week.

I think that you're reading a fuel sniffing abo meaning which wasn't behind what I said

the lowest-common-denominator middle east types use fictions and wild assumptions to paint their hysterical hatred of things

Anybody who has been on this planet for more than a few years is aware of the strong trend amongst immigrants to intermix their seclusion and hatred of "intergration" together.

and are just out to score points for their gay agenda narrative wherever they can.

They aren't interested in what actually motivated the violence or how to fix it, they just want to criticize

For well-established and easily-recognisable reasons, stemming from their upbringing in a different country anything "Australian"y

I'm all for intervention into aborigine communities, I don't give a s*** about people's cultures, nor respect them.
Those peoples comments, however, read like a very different and well known mode of thought.

Pretty much just "the stock standard manipulative way that muslims bulls*** the world over, on all topics."
08:31am 16/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7163 posts
Thank god we have nerfy to explain what it all means and to protect us from the bad, manupulative people out there!!He's also taking time out of his busy schedule to diagnose mental health conditions via forum posts. What a stand up member of the community.Thanks nerf, keep fighting the good fight.

Meh, if people are going to play difficult and pretend that they can't read the blatant ideologies and biases in written pieces, I'm going to pretend-diagnose them with the conditions which they're feigning to have, to highlight how stupid their act makes them appear in the hope that they'll realise that they're not fooling anybody and stop wasting everybody's time with their games.

he's the poorly concealed 'dole bludger' of the week.

I run 3 businesses (web dev startup, porn, and tv ads contracting), and have most of my life worked at least 2 if not 3 jobs at a time, though did just apply for a business grant from the government. I've been on the dole for about 2 weeks in my life, and was on youth allowance for half of my undergrad.
08:34am 16/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3667 posts
i know a guy in RL who runs like 3 busuniessess, and works on the side

only the work on the side seems to make any usable money, the rest are mearly great ideas, that from time to time make anything, then consume it just as quick

to make a statment like that is hardly showing us that you're good at anything, after all, you spend a great deal of time on the forums, and time researching you arguments, at all hours of the day (like honestly you'd barely have time to sleep at the rate you post at times, let alone work)
08:47am 16/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7164 posts
Oh I'm not at all suggesting that I'm good at something (though I am pretty amazingly good at some things), I'm just explaining that I have minimal experience with the dole, and have never thought of myself as one of the people who it's for.
08:52am 16/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6168 posts
I think you missed the point of my post.
09:02am 16/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7165 posts
I think you missed the point of my post.

I couldn't make it past the first line.
09:09am 16/01/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3747 posts
That is golden.
10:08am 16/01/13 Permalink
Jim
UK
13188 posts
Meh, if people are going to play difficult and pretend that they can't read the blatant ideologies and biases in written pieces, I'm going to pretend-diagnose them with the conditions which they're feigning to have, to highlight how stupid their act makes them appear in the hope that they'll realise that they're not fooling anybody and stop wasting everybody's time with their games.

that's not what you're doing though - you're just expecting people to immediately arrive at the same conclusion as you on a very specific topic - which isn't reasonable in practically any circumstance, let alone one to which you're clearly exposed much more than I am and therefore already have a better picture of the circumstances surrounding the article and apparently the publications writing style. taken on it's own merits with no other external input at all, it's nowhere near as blatant a piece as you claim

and besides, comparing an article with far more many words than a twitter comment to try and make your point is just silly

so basically all you've done (as usual) is spend a lot of time writing a lot of words trying to unreasonably force your point of view and then flung your hands up in the air when people still don't agree with you
10:33am 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22084 posts
Can you really argue, with evidential basis, that the Aboriginals and Islanders don't have a sufficiently different cultural and ideological mindset so as to be at odds (To what level is variable) with Western orientated Australians?
Of course they do. But saying they have a cultural disposition to violence compared to white people is about as racist as it gets. Kind of along the lines of savages only understanding savage treatment even. Funny how people without white skin seem to share that trait according to infi.
10:46am 16/01/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13272 posts
Humans are amongst the most aggressive and destructive creatures on the planet. Saying one race is more aggressive than another is skipping the point that we are all bat-s*** crazy killing machines. Anyway, 4WD's
11:10am 16/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
4718 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Not Relevant
11:18am 16/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5604 posts
edit: well there goes the context to this post, lol

so, how about that local sports team?!
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a476/a476.gif?v11301bss2
11:22am 16/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19433 posts
It's funny how Pacific men prove their manhood through warfare, and how Aborigines have a specific tradition called Payback Season. But hey I don't know anything ;)
03:26pm 16/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
866 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Dumb
03:44pm 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22087 posts
It's funny how Pacific men prove their manhood through warfare, and how Aborigines have a specific tradition called Payback Season. But hey I don't know anything
You are completely ignoring the fact that white-people have been committing acts of violence against each other for reasons of retribution since forever and it continues today. Just because it is given a name when indigenous people do it doesn't change anything.

The fact is that other than the difference in skin color, indigenous people and white people are physically, mentally, intellectually and (practically) genetically identical. Our cultures are obviously very different but one thing that isn't different is the amount of violence in our histories. If anything, white peoples history is a lot more violent. The current problem is purely a social one, and the only way to fix that is through a system implemented by the government. If the problem isn't being fixed, than it can only be a problem with the system.

But hey, just keep on mentioning little bits of trivia your mother-in-law mentioned to you because it makes you sound really clever dude.
05:08pm 16/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7101 posts
white people violent?
couldn't be
05:46pm 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22088 posts
Well actually reload white people aren't violent. We had been living a perfectly peaceful existence with zero murders until our pure bloodline was corrupted by indigenous savages. Did you know that islanders still prove their manhood with random acts of warfare? My mother-in-law told me this and has vast experience in the indigenous culture department from her time working in a Darwin maximum security prison. If you want to really find out about a culture, the people to speak to are the ones who have committed violent crimes. Well only those n**** cultures because they are savages who are born violent.
07:54pm 16/01/13 Permalink
PornoPete
Melbourne, Victoria
822 posts
Flirting dangerously now with Godwin's law.
07:57pm 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22089 posts
Who is?
07:59pm 16/01/13 Permalink
PornoPete
Melbourne, Victoria
823 posts
You is.
08:05pm 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22090 posts
Because I mentioned WW2? I didn't make any direct comparison's to the Nazis or Hitler, I was just making reference to the war and the violence committed by every side during it.

But I guess you are right, that is flirting with it but don't worry, there is no way I am going to say 'but white people produced Hitler!' or anything dumb like that.
08:07pm 16/01/13 Permalink
PornoPete
Melbourne, Victoria
824 posts
And don't edit this to make it look like I said
but white people produced Hitler!
or made a
direct comparison to the Nazis or Hitler
. :)
08:11pm 16/01/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2916 posts
You know there is a big difference between culture and race right fpot? I'm not saying infi or whoever are right in what they have said but when talking about Samoans or Aboriginals it is possible to do so without speaking specifically about race since it can also refer to their culture.

If you were to say all Aboriginals are violent, then that would be racist but to say that violence is part of Aboriginal culture isn't necessarily racist at all. It may be incorrect, ignorant or irrelevant but not necessarily racist.

To counter the argument with "white people" are violent will always be racist though since you can not be mistaken for referencing a culture but a race. You could make the point that Western Society is violent, which when you consider how we seem to censor things could be true but Western Society is a pretty broad term. An Aboriginal or Samoan could be a part of Western Society of course but you can't be a part of Aboriginal or Samoan culture without being an Aboriginal or Samoan.

I'm not saying anyone is predisposed to violence though, just pointing out that someone can be against a culture without being against the race that predominates that culture.
08:28pm 16/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
880 posts
It's funny how Pacific men prove their manhood through warfare.

Not sure if serious. Can you generalise anymore?

It's cool tho since 2005 white australia has learned the error of it's violent ways and we won't have anymore of white australians doing violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_riots

Fun fact, the shire is a liberal seat. While we're making generalisations...
08:32pm 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22091 posts
Violence is a part of literally every culture that has ever existed. For infi to exclusively reference the aboriginal and islander culture as violent compared to white people is a clear cut case of a dumb racist c***. If he wasn't implying that white people don't have violence in their cultural upbringing then why did he bring it up? I am sure he will say he has been taken out of context or something like he usually does when he says something dumb and regrets it.

I am pretty sure this dumb line of thinking (these indigenous people should just accept some personal responsibility and poof the problem is gone!) is a lolbertarian thing which is why it makes such little sense, is overly simplistic and ignorant. Maybe infi can shed some light on that.

edit: and I apologise for the excessive use of the term white people but I am talking to a real dullard and need to keep things pretty simple.
08:44pm 16/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19434 posts
Nah let's just blame the government for everything. These people have no control over themselves... Right? Completely helpless victim routine. Great work

I can't believe fpot is actually blaming the government for the cultural background of the offenders and the violent criminal actions. The individuals are responsible!
08:57pm 16/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22093 posts
While I know you can't help yourself when it comes to strawmanning, can you at least tell us these secret reasons that cause the indigenous groups to be more violent than white people and how you would go about fixing it? Remember that your cultural background of violence reason is wrong and dumb. Maybe you can phone a friend (your mother-in-law) for another factoid you can post.
09:06pm 16/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9774 posts
I think The PoPo did a fantastic job of keeping a lid on this.
So far.

11:28pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Frag
Queensland
1937 posts

How the f*** did I think this thread wouldn't be full up to hilt of Left wing nut jobs shifting all the blame & responsibility from the groups that are actually fighting to the government?

And then there's Nerf Lord. Jezus christ bro ram your ideology down everyones throats just a little bit harder, I don't think your tactics are working.
11:37pm 16/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7169 posts
And then there's Nerf Lord. Jezus christ bro ram your ideology down everyones throats just a little bit harder

Uh, what ideology?

How the f*** did I think this thread wouldn't be full up to hilt of Left wing nut jobs shifting all the blame & responsibility from the groups that are actually fighting to the government?

Can you please link to a single one of these comments?
06:27am 17/01/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1128 posts
It's amazing with all these posts that mine got deleted for being dumb.... lol.
12:02pm 17/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:02pm 17/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks