Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
LNP trying to abolish compulsory voting in Queensland
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34858 posts
Source here:
The Attorney-General labelled Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan a "Christmas turkey” and said he was surprised by comments Mr Swan made during a press conference on the Sunshine Coast on Thursday when he joined Prime Minister Julia Gillard and high-profile Labor members in railing against any move to make voting in Queensland elections voluntary.
Is there any level they wont stoop to?

Is jbp back in power?

wow, they must be nervous about all their members defecting to clive's new party eh?

Voting isnt a right, its a responsibility. we all live in our state and country, we should all be required (by law) to vote on who runs it.

Edited by Eorl (include source next time)
07:55pm 03/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:55pm 03/01/13 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
3856 posts
Eagerly awaiting the Newman dictatorship once he abolishes voting all together.
08:02pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6730 posts
So the government that's trying to save QLD money is wasting money reviewing electoral laws?
08:04pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2271 posts
voting is not required by law in germany, seems to be working pretty well here.
08:08pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6139 posts
A new discussion paper released by Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie canvasses views on electoral reforms ranging from scrapping compulsory voting to public funding of elections.

Mr Bleijie says the State Government has no firm position on scrapping compulsory voting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-03/qld-government-considers-scrapping-compulsory-voting/4451074

Put it back in your pants Spook.
08:15pm 03/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3618 posts
So the government that's trying to save QLD money is wasting money reviewing electoral laws?

sorry, please choose from one of the selected LNP reasons as to why "this had to happen"

1) due to the large debt caused by labor

2) due to labors' bloating of this sector is now wastes money

3) these are the hard choices that have to be made to get QLD back on track, because of labor

4) it would have been high/worse under labor

5) this is just mud raking from labor/katter/palmer/fed labor/the greens

scooter, just remember that there were no plans at all to revoke uranium mining
08:27pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9881 posts
I always assumed requiring people to vote was some sort of insurance that people aren't forcibly prevented from voting.

eg. Say Bribie Island was polling heavy for the Pink Party well the Purple party who is government sets up all the voting booths on the mainland and closes the bridge after ensuring a token number of known purple party voters are off the island or postal voted.

Unlikely here today ...
But I am sure many tinpot countries do similar.
08:28pm 03/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3619 posts
I always assumed requiring people to vote was some sort of insurance that people aren't forcibly prevented from voting.

eg. Say Bribie Island was polling heavy for the Pink Party well the Purple party who is government sets up all the voting booths on the mainland and closes the bridge after ensuring a token number of known purple party voters are off the island or postal voted.

Unlikely here today ...
But I am sure many tinpot countries do similar.

like the US?
08:29pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6140 posts
scooter, just remember that there were no plans at all to revoke uranium mining

You mean Open up? Or Stop?

You realize that Labor Government (Federal) are the ones that recently changed all the regulations around Uranium mining, right? To make it easier to mine Uranium. (Which, IMO is a good thing) QLD Was just building on what the Federal (Labor) government was encouraging.

I'm 100% against the removal of compulsory voting. I would hate to see it abolished and I don't think it would be a good thing, not by a long shot.
But these media articles are beat ups. In a review they review stuff, the fact that it's there means that it falls under the purview of the review even if there was absolutely Zero intention to change it, it's still technically in the review. So idiots run with a Doom and Gloom story, because that generates outrage and thus page clicks.
08:36pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5560 posts
The argument in favour of compulsory voting is pretty thin.
Keep in mind that it's not compulsory to vote, it's only compulsory to get your name checked off - an informal ballot is perfectly legal.

Though if it does become non-compulsory and an individual decides not to vote, IMO they lose the privilege of whinging about who gets voted into power.

But these media articles are beat ups.

Correct. Any self respecting journalist would recognise the real story isn't with compulsory voting, it's buried further down: The review will also consider a ban on political donations from corporations and unions.
08:37pm 03/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5677 posts
Dazhel, semantics.

I hate voting because I dont think either party repesents me in any shape or form. They're both conservative white folks running around screaming about and arguing about topics that aren't issues. Blah blah, I don't want to be forced to vote for the s*** heads. WIsh they'd change how preferential voting is done.
08:46pm 03/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3620 posts
you are aware that there are more than two partys,

if people got away from the "i dont like lnp/labor so i'll vote lnp/labor", and really looked at
a) who if the person that is representing them, and not just which party they belong to
b) looked at the other partys to see if they meet your feelings

I reckon it would have been a vastly different result
08:53pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5561 posts
It might be semantics, but in other democracies voter turnout and efforts to convince people to get out there is looked upon as a gauge on the voting process so it can be useful.

I'm also amused by the insulting argument that people would become confused if state voting was non-compulsory and federal voting was compulsory. The public can be trusted to choose which bunch of dropkicks to vote into office, but they can't be trusted to understand whether they do or don't need to be somewhere on a particular day?
09:04pm 03/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9726 posts
Where do you ppl who claim Compulsory Voting is some kind of Utopia get your evidence from ?

Had to laugh Swanny and Gillard were suddenly 'available' to proclaim that it was an attack against Democracy.
This from the two that brought us the Carbon Tax they both swore they wernt going to implement.

Why am I forced to Vote in a Free Country ?

09:07pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6731 posts
You're not, you can leave the ballot paper blank.
09:08pm 03/01/13 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5678 posts
By preferential voting I meant voting for the non-major parties, all 64 of them.
09:09pm 03/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9727 posts
You're not, you can leave the ballot paper blank.

Thats the same as not voting under the Electoral Act.
A deliberate Informal Vote is a violation of the Act.
09:12pm 03/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3624 posts

yes, but knowing your vote is also a violation so what you going to do
09:13pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11793 posts

Voting isnt a right, its a responsibility. we all live in our state and country, we should all be required (by law) to vote on who runs it.
Not really. I reckon don't let people vote if they don't want to. But if they start whining, ask to see the proof they voted. If they didn't tell them to f*** off. As far as I'm concerned, politicians should go out like a lot of other countries and actually earn some votes rather than just harassing me at the polling booth and doing f*** all either side of that day. Compulsory voting gives you lazy politicians and sheeple who vote without even understanding what they're voting for.
09:25pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6732 posts
No, it's the same as writing the same number in every box.
09:25pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9882 posts

Secret Ballot ... they can't charge you unless you are stupid enough to tell them.
09:35pm 03/01/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2455 posts

More empty rhetoric from you FaceMan, diluted even further by the fact that we know you don't vote.

You are required to do this because at a point in Australia's history, they (they being politicians, the ones elected to represent the people, welcome to democracy) believed that it was to the benefit of the country. If you really don't want to turn up it's not like you'll be killed or imprisoned, you can always just pay the tiny $20 fine if you prefer.

Living in a free country doesn't mean you can just do whatever you like, you still have to abide by the laws set out by/for the country you're living in, otherwise it would just be chaos. You're also required not to break the speed limit, murder people, or evade paying taxes, does that also mean you're not free? (though you probably disagree on the last one anyway)

I'm not saying voting should be compulsory or not – if the majority of the people want to change the law so it's not then that's fine too – but to imply that compulsory voting goes against the concept of a free country is just emotive rhetorical rubbish.
09:37pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5163 posts

See to me that statement is just plain stupid. I also suspect that if it was Labor saying lets scrap it you would agree with it.

People get put into positions of responsibility because they are fit to handle it. I believe there are plenty of 18+ people who are not fit to make an informed decision on who should be running the country.
10:35pm 03/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19384 posts
People should be free to do what they want. Government is obsessed with forcing people to do things or "we lock you up". F*** that, I want to be free.

And to those who say it is a civic duty, I agree and I will always vote - but why force people...

last edited by infi at 22:45:45 03/Jan/13
10:44pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4000 posts
Voting should not be enforced. Having a brew should also be allowed at the beach. Why all the rules mang! De gubberments is my mumma or something ?
10:49pm 03/01/13 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1298 posts
People should be free to do what they want. Government is obsessed with forcing people to do things or "we lock you up". F*** that, I want to be free.

Not in your industry, you like captive geriatrics.
11:30pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1799 posts
Voting isn't compulsory in a lot of other countries and they do pretty well, The UK, US, most of Europe - they also have very high voter turnouts for the most part.

A short history of compulsory voting - http://www.idea.int/vt/compulsory_voting.cfm

Voter turn out stats - http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?id=61

I reckon it shouldn't be, also think Australia needs to drop so much of its nanny/police stating!
12:14am 04/01/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10635 posts
first voting won't be compulsory, next voting will be on a week day so that workers are more likely to miss it, anything to put things in favour of newman's demographic, what a little s***
12:23am 04/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1230 posts
I also suspect that if it was Labor saying lets scrap it you would agree with it.
Only a f***wit would harp on about Labor when this has nothing to do with them.

I believe there are plenty of 18+ people who are not fit to make an informed decision on who should be running the country.
Like you?
12:41am 04/01/13 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
21181 posts
LOL at people upset because they might not have to vote. I bet if voting wasn't compulsory you'd be whinging if Newman decided to make it so you had to.
12:42am 04/01/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1093 posts
I think Compulsory voting is a good thing, it stops Australia becomming like the US. Where parties have to lean far left or far right and get their hardcore supports to vote which makes governments far left or right because of promises they tell.

On the other hand, there is no one I would vote for in any state for Federal Parliament. They are not worth my vote. I would vote for Rudd though.

I predict I will cop crap from other users here for linking Rudd.
01:07am 04/01/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6243 posts
so long as hookers ans blow dont become illegal...
07:44am 04/01/13 Permalink
l3wd_5c0ff
Brisbane, Queensland
2431 posts
i vote for Bob Hawke at all levels of voting
08:27am 04/01/13 Permalink
deeper
Brisbane, Queensland
4171 posts
I'm all for voting not being compulsory.
08:35am 04/01/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13310 posts
I think Compulsory voting is a good thing, it stops Australia becomming like the US. Where parties have to lean far left or far right and get their hardcore supports to vote which makes governments far left or right because of promises they tell.

IMO if your augment is true then its actually a good one for removing compulsory voting. Politics in AU is way too centrist.
09:42am 04/01/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
170 posts
Yeah, it would be great to have some parties that had views they fought for rather than trying not to offend anyone. The parties are too worried about winning elections rather than progressing the country one way or another. The changes between left and right is what keeps things in balance while still moving forward.

09:53am 04/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9883 posts

In theory the westminster system is meant to be 3 cornered. Relying on a left and right party, and a center of swinging voters.

How does the left or the right split a pie 3 ways, by offering the middle a big chunk of pie.
11:26am 04/01/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6734 posts
This makes no sense, since the Democrats aren't a far-left party but the Republicans are a far-right party.
12:08pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7585 posts
I simply do not understand b****ing about compulsory voting. The fact that taking ten minutes out of a a day every now and then is so inconvenient? Furthermore, you are merely required to get checked off which indicates you have exercised that right to vote or not vote.

I frankly think that not voting should also strip you of other rights, such as use of government provided services. This might include public transport, education systems and consumer protection services/advice.
12:40pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34868 posts
I frankly think that not voting should also strip you of other rights, such as use of government provided services. This might include public transport, education systems and consumer protection services/advice.

yer raven, i could be onboard for that. you dont want to vote? sure, you dont get access to government provided services.
12:46pm 04/01/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8110 posts
Our voting system is so fundamentally flawed it is a joke.
Remove preferential voting and return it to either "for" or "against".

If I don't want candidate A to receive my vote, I shouldn't have to vote against them by voting for candidate B whom I equally have no confidence in, same with any other candidate put forward.

Simply, A vote, MY vote, should be able to be cast how I want it to be recorded and reconciled. If I wish to record a negative vote against a candidate so at the end of the day, the negative votes detract from their overall count.

Gods forbid a smaller less mainstream candidate get a level playing field should something like this be empowered.
That is Democracy, not this farce we are all forced to consume.

Oh wait, it won't cause they know it would annihilate their comfy hold on the status quo.
12:50pm 04/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19385 posts
I simply do not understand b****ing about compulsory voting. The fact that taking ten minutes out of a a day every now and then is so inconvenient? Furthermore, you are merely required to get checked off which indicates you have exercised that right to vote or not vote.

is it govt's role to go around forcing people to exercise their rights? are we really free if we are being forced tro exercise a right under threat of punishment?
02:05pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7587 posts
I'd much rather our electoral system be changed so that we have a lot more true democratic voting on issues - not a blanket representative democracy.

At least, say, 15 to 20 issues should be put to public ballot every year. That way we don't have to put up with these f***wit politicians who you agree with on, say, one massive, critical issue that's more important than everything else, but then completely f*** you on 19 other issues. Hell, I know: Every year every senator can either propose or sponsor an issue to be voted on by the public. Every bill to be voted on must have a sponsor and two seconders/co-sponsors, and each senator can only sponsor one public bill.

This would mean we end up with 25 public bills - okay, so maybe you make it a smaller number by some method, but you get the idea.

last edited by Raven at 14:09:26 04/Jan/13
02:07pm 04/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7066 posts
I think a lot of people find voting pointless because of the go nowhere party politics here. Obviously this isn't a new theory but I think if voting weren't compulsory then it would be good to see a difference in voter turnout reflecting how strongly the nation actually feels about issues or people.

If you feel like meh, whoever wins we lose and voter turnouts dropped significantly then perhaps there would be more incentive for truly unique and independent policy be proposed. I definitely feel it is currently too easy for incumbent candidates to just get by on, 'well they have to vote for someone!'

More likely it would just give those in the system something else to take advantage of. It's not like the US political system is a shining example of perfect democracy.
02:27pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1231 posts
I believe there are better options to improve democarcy than debating about compulsory voting which in my view is a circle jerk distraction from the real issues. What's required in my view is a total restructure of Government in Australia and severe punishable rules that apply to politicians (elected representatives) when it comes to accountability and conduct whilst in office.

We should review too the overall make up of political parties and I believe even the shape of the nation should be under review in respect to local, state and federal boundaries and obligations to better reflect the age we now live in, the information age requires different thinking.

There are heaps of other issues I could ramble on with but compulsory voting is nowhere near any of my idea of "top" issues.
03:14pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34870 posts
lnp are only interested in it, because its a super cheaty way to keep themselves in power.

much the same way joh gerrymandered.
03:49pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4186 posts
so what they're saying is labor voters would rather sleep in on saturday than go vote?
04:12pm 04/01/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36636 posts
is it govt's role to go around forcing people to exercise their rights? are we really free if we are being forced tro exercise a right under threat of punishment?
Are we really free if we're forced to pay tax? Or obey road rules? Or sell products to people that they can use without risk of death?!@!

Voting is part of the (tiny tiny) price you are asked to pay by our government and our society for living in the awesome civilsation that we have here today.
04:18pm 04/01/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2907 posts
Need to be able to vote no confidence IMO. With no method to legitimately state that no candidate represents your views you are being forced to vote for a candidate that you do not truly support.

It'd never happen though because politicians don't like knowing that people don't like them.
04:23pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34871 posts
so what they're saying is labor voters would rather sleep in on saturday than go vote?

labor/green/independent/blah, yes.

lnp voters are the uptight kind of people that froth at the mouth hardcore when their party isnt in power. they love voting.
04:56pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
334 posts
So Spook is against this because he's afraid his political party won't get in if the uneducated/ignorant/careless/lazy don't vote?

Interesting.
05:09pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34872 posts
no, im against this as it will strengthen the lnp's chances of being re-elected.

the lnp are bad for qld, and as i live in qld, that means they are bad for me.
05:21pm 04/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19386 posts
Are we really free if we're forced to pay tax? Or obey road rules? Or sell products to people that they can use without risk of death?!@!

I am wondering if you are intentionally trolling, Trog. Those are all legislated social obligations (conditions of consuming society) however casting a ballot is an indvidual right to be represented. Is every person required to obtain a driver's license? Is every person required to drink alcohol once they turn 18? You have completely misrepresented the question by making those comparisons.

Saying someone is legally compelled to vote as part of their social compact sounds like what it was like living in Saddam's Iraq or North Korea.

Freedom means minimising the govt's role in forcing people to do thing on fear of imprisonment.

last edited by infi at 18:24:22 04/Jan/13
06:23pm 04/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
864 posts
I always wondered why it was important to vote when I hated the bipartisan system, then the southpark guys explained it in a way I could understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd
06:44pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3340 posts
You're just opposing this because it's an LNP move. IF this was labor you'd be harping in the other direction. Come on spook! :)

I don't care if its compulsory or not. How would this in any way affect the LNP's chances? (IF this is what you are implying)
06:53pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34873 posts
id be as against this if labor wanted to make it so. labor would never be that retarded though.
07:22pm 04/01/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1094 posts
I wonder if it would be better with no political parties and every MP is independent and have rounds of voting to see who gets the top job with good ideas.
07:28pm 04/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22038 posts
This is one of the more pointless political arguments brought up in a while.

Always fun reading infi's rhetoric drivel, though.
09:40pm 04/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19387 posts
fpot is lucky our government tells him what to do in every aspect of his life. i doubt he would survive with independent thought.
10:48pm 04/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22039 posts
More drivel http://i.imgur.com/k1l5C.png

There's a purestrain vein of retard stretching through QGL of late, and I like it.
10:56pm 04/01/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2459 posts
yes, but knowing your vote is also a violation so what you going to do
Secret Ballot ... they can't charge you unless you are stupid enough to tell them.

Actually it's not a violation, at least according to the AEC:
(re. Mark Latham suggesting people leave their ballots blank last election)
Protest vote plea not illegal

There was some speculation his "ultimate protest'' at the end of last night's segment could see him charged for breaching section 329A of the Commonwealth Electoral Act.

But an Australian Electoral Commission spokesman said there was nothing to prosecute.

He confirmed that the Commonwealth Electoral Act did not contain an explicit provision prohibiting the casting of a blank vote, even though it was "obviously a wasted vote".

Forgive the news.com.au link.
12:52am 05/01/13 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
7133 posts
I can't tell if infi's being sarcastic like faceman is when he sometimes mockingly imitates himself, or if getting older is just always going to be a series of depressing realisations that the people with their hand anywhere near politics are absolute nutjobs.
01:05am 05/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20484 posts
How would this in any way affect the LNP's chances?

Because all the bogans, bums and lazy students wouldn't vote if it wasn't compulsory, and they're the ones who vote labor.
01:35am 05/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9730 posts
Under the Electoral Act, the actual duty of the elector is to attend a polling place, have their name marked off the certified list, receive a ballot paper and take it to an individual voting booth, mark it, fold the ballot paper and place it in the ballot box.

It is not the case, as some people have claimed, that it is only compulsory to attend the polling place and have your name marked off, and this has been upheld by a number of legal decisions:

High Court 1926 – Judd v McKeon (1926) 38 CLR 380
™ Supreme Court of Victoria 1970 – Lubcke v Little [1970] VR 807
™ High Court 1971 – Faderson v Bridger (1971) 126 CLR 271
™ Supreme Court of Queensland 1974 – Krosch v Springbell; ex parte Krosch [1974] QdR 107
™ ACT Supreme Court 1981 – O’Brien v Warden (1981) 37 ACTR 13

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/voting/index.htm
02:10am 05/01/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2460 posts
Don't tell me, tell it to the AEC, pal.
02:31am 05/01/13 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
4002 posts
I agree with infi on all counts so far here, really compulsory voting is fairly nonsensical. Why should you force someone to vote who does not even have the slightest in politics. They'll just tick whatever without thinking on what representation they would like. I would do away with the state/territory governments to while at it.
03:16am 05/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19388 posts
No that makes you a nutjob. hahah
03:31am 05/01/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6298 posts
You're free to choose not to do those things, go live off the grid, build your own road and drive as fast as you want on it. Well until someone else feels free to tell you to get the f*** off their land and then feels free to get the police to assist with it.

I guess what's more free, living in anarchy where anyone abides by their own creed and some people go around mecilessly looting, ripping off, and killing, while others huddle together building a new society where they can feel free from fear.

edit: on topic: Not voting is not a good solution to the problem of donkey votes.

Honestly wouldn't you rather that politicians were forced to create a differential list each year by the end of their campaign which you get as a cheatsheet on vote day: 2 colums for the major parties and how they differentiate, major point by major point, or another sheet which says the minor parties and the side they'll swing their votes for.

edit2: The biggest issue i have with voting is the whole cognitive dissonance thing which ends up putting me into either not voting at all or throwing a worthless and meaningless vote which doesn't represent my view at all.

last edited by skythra at 09:35:07 05/Jan/13
09:29am 05/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
865 posts
I agree with infi on all counts so far here, really compulsory voting is fairly nonsensical. Why should you force someone to vote who does not even have the slightest in politics. They'll just tick whatever without thinking on what representation they would like. I would do away with the state/territory governments to while at it.

It is about making sure the working class vote. A lot of people who normally wouldn't work weekends wouldn't get a chance to vote if it wasn't compulsory.

Voting is like jury duty. It is your responsibility to the community you live in.

I agree with your last sentance.
12:51pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22042 posts
Saying someone is legally compelled to vote as part of their social compact sounds like what it was like living in Saddam's Iraq or North Korea.
This is one of the great infis.

I don't know how a person could physically type this out, move their mouse cursor over the Post Message button and then click without their brain having an aneurysm to try and stop the body from doing something so stupid. But hey, infi.
12:58pm 05/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9731 posts
It is about making sure the working class vote.

How many Politicians are Working Class ?

The defence of compulsory voting seems to be starry-eyed optimism.
01:00pm 05/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19390 posts
if you don't pay the failure to vote fine, a warrant would be issued for your arrest. the next time you get pulled over by the cops they will have a grounds to arrest you.

is this really the society we want, where we can be detained for not voting? the real threat to our freedom and democracy is empowering government to imprison us for trivial matters.

i am in favour of people having a choice. government is FORCE.

I think it's ironic that fpot defends a policy of compelling people to vote by threat of fine or imprisonment with more abuse and insults. this is how leftists the world over defend their authoritarian viewpoints.

i must be having an aneurysm because holy s*** I want to be able to choose if I have to vote. military dictatorships imprison people they don't agree with, democracies say "you go for it mate."

as to the argument about the working class - are you implying they are stupid or defenseless. I give credit to every voter to be able to make the right choice. and what's it saying for their capability if they have to be forced to vote - are they then even fit to vote in the first place.

the argument for compulsory voting is so full of holes it should never have existed in the first place. the very essence of being free is to choose not to do something.
01:25pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22043 posts
Whenever you run out of rhetoric drivel to post you start insulting so I wouldn't go crying irony so soon if I were you.

I have no strong viewpoints on compulsory voting so like always you are just making s*** up as usual. If someone really doesn't want to vote they can just post an informal vote. If they are too lazy to drive down the road they can just pay the $20 fine. If I really had to pick a side I'd say to do away with compulsory voting but who really cares? This is one of those things that just makes the partisans bubble up to the surface as they flail and froth to the tune of whichever party is their little favourite - you and spook Some Fat Bastard being the prime example of this.

But hey, you are going very well so just keep comparing compulsory voting to Iraq and North Korea.
01:39pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34882 posts
hey, i am not pro any party in particular. i am just a lover of commonsense and governments that help me to look after myself and my family (and the kruddler because he gave me all that free money).

01:57pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22045 posts
Don't worry Spook, you are just the closest thing that matches infi's blind devoted love to a political party that we have on this forum. Except you go for labor. You are nowhere near as bad as him.
02:01pm 05/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7078 posts
some fat bastard is infi's labor loving equivalent
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse than spook
02:05pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22047 posts
I'll make the necessary changes.
02:07pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17663 posts
Spook born and bred labor supporter, his parents voted lab and brought him up that way

He never had a chance, similar to religious people indoctrinating tbeir kids early in lice
02:20pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34885 posts
i am a commonsense and doing the right thing supporter matey.

(as opposed to a doing the right thing for myself and screwing the electorate, in particular with dodgy business dealings supporter)

last edited by Spook at 14:57:06 05/Jan/13
02:55pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12401 posts
We need to be made to vote so we don't have to go through terrible videos such as this..
03:06pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4187 posts
here's the bloke I was trying to find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Langer

basically he was convicted for encouraging people to spoil their vote. laws have changed a bit since then though
03:29pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1232 posts
Spook born and bred labor supporter, his parents voted lab and brought him up that way

He never had a chance, similar to religious people indoctrinating tbeir kids early in lice
My 80 year old father votes National Party as he's an old jackeroo from the channel country. My 78 year old mum is a swinging voter who was born and raised on a dairy farm so has a tendency to vote LNP so I don't know how your formula equates to reality.

some fat bastard is infi's labor loving equivalent wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse than spook
what amuses me most is half you d**** on this forum are just as partisan towards your own political party but don't have the balls to admit your posts are as predictable as infi, mine and/or spooks. Hypocrites f*****g galore.
04:57pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1233 posts
I may not agree with all of infi's views and opinions but I have absolute respect for the fact he passionately advocates them. There would be no debate if there were no passionate people. Often it's the really passionate people from all spectrums of life with differing points of view coming together that end up making a difference.
06:19pm 05/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
866 posts
How many Politicians are Working Class ?

Some represent the working class better than others...
10:14pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17665 posts
It's not my formula, it's just how it is

But thanks for getting butthurt in service to another labor supporter
10:34pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
335 posts
The problem with common sense is that it's not common enough.

Doing the right thing is subjective. You're doing the wrong thing.
10:39pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5164 posts
Mmmmm just saw Some Fat Bastard called me a f***wit earlier in the thread.

Then I read through the read and realised he is just a massive massive douche and Labor fan boy/Spook nuthugger so now I feel great about it!
07:28am 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34890 posts
perhaps sfb also likes sensible and honest politics and politicians that look after working people?

also, is quite possible that hes in love with my nuts, they are spectacular
08:00am 06/01/13 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
5165 posts
honest? Come now please there is no such thing on either side of politics.
Campbell Newman wasn't honest and neither was Julia Gillard.

Their actions vs their words prove that beyond any doubt.
09:27am 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34891 posts
kruddler was honest.
11:17am 06/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9734 posts
How was Newman not honest ?
The ALP built a bloated Public Service with juicy pay deals that are unsustainable especially with a ton of debt.

Cant say I agree with everything Newman does but you couldnt call him a plodder.
Id rather see someone taking action than someone wasting taxpayers money.

Someone needs to go to Jail over QLD Healths Payroll.
$250 million blown out to over a billion.
Our Taxes had to cover that.
12:40pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34892 posts
newman honest? hes a typical liberal politician, using his position to pump up his business oportunities, every chance he gets.
12:53pm 06/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9735 posts
Spook that claim was investigated and proven to be wrong.
12:56pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34893 posts
oh yes, thats right i forgot.

newmans wife and bro in law havent profitted at all from any decisions campbell has made as mayor or premier.
12:59pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34894 posts
i am as positive as that, as i am that santo's department made decisions without his input!
01:01pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9885 posts
You keep forgetting what a wonderful country we live in at the moment. People are unlikely to be detained or discouraged from voting.

Make it non compulsory and all of a sudden who knows what road works might occur prevent someone from voting. And if you think politicians aren't up for a bit of manipulating the electorate ... one word ... gerrymander

And I think both sides would be up for abusing it. As much and LNP and labor dislike each other, they both need each other. They don't sure as s*** don't want a third politic party getting any real traction.

Sure it's a paranoid view ... but why remove a check that every who is eligible had to oportunity to vote ? I don't understand why you would trade that in for pure laziness.

I'd rather an extra checkbox added that said "no vote cast" so that we could accurately see and remove those informal and or donkey votes. It would have the same effect as make it voluntary and retains a check.
01:34pm 06/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22049 posts
Yeah I am pretty sure infi would just let the system run its course when his corrupt mate Santo was Aged Care minister because he hasn't shown himself to be a total morally bankrupt c*** or anything.
01:36pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
336 posts
I like reading these threads; it's great to finally see people who really are as smart as they think they are.
01:41pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3635 posts
How was Newman not honest ?

there is nothing for the public service to fear
there will not be a change to the current policy on uranium mining
We are 100bil in debt
No-one's being sacked in the public service

if that isn't being dishonest, at best it isn't being true to your word,

facey, newman/lnp are not as clean as you tout when it comes to the truth
01:51pm 06/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19393 posts
Fpot you sound ignorant. Have you ever built a business from a block of vacant dirt. Do you have any idea how many levels of government regulation, overview and scrutiny are involved? You sound like someone who just read an internet article and now thinks they actually know something.

secondly, your comment has no relevance to the OP. You are rambling.

If Newman is so corrupt where are the CMC charges? Bligh admitted during the election campaign that she knew she couldn't make her slurs stick. Smear and lies from a rotten party desperate to win, and now spook perpetuates it. Sad...

I am proud that Campbell has gotten on with the cuts needed to make Qld healthier.
02:17pm 06/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22051 posts
Remember that guy who compared compulsory voting to Iraq and North Korea? He was a smart guy.
02:23pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6144 posts
there will not be a change to the current policy on uranium mining

You keep bringing that up. You know it was Federal Labor government that significantly changed the rules and regulations right? I know you do, I've told you before.
After such a significant and incredible change (by the Federal LABOR government) it would be folly to no review your own states standing.

there is nothing for the public service to fear

He went to the election on the promise of cutting staff. Most have been contracts ending and voluntary redundancies.

We are 100bil in debt

No one said that, they said that we would head that way of nothing was done about the rampant and stupid miss spending and f***ups by the previous government.

No-one's being sacked in the public service

We kind of covered this one already . But here;
“Despite all the hype and the hysteria, not one permanent employee has been ‘sacked’ as a result of the budget process,” he said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/noones-being-sacked-newman-20120914-25w4i.html#ixzz2HA7pKeYh
02:26pm 06/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9736 posts
The ALP were deceptive about the financial position of the State.
There were two options.
Increase Taxes
Make cuts

You think Newmans cuts are bad wait till The Coalition dismantle the ALPs bloated Government. Starting with the Dept of Climate Change and Fair Work Australia.
and of course everything to do with the Carbon Tax.

I think we should set up some kind of Nuremberg trial for the ALP and Oakshot and Windsor and The Greens.

02:51pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34895 posts
If Newman is so corrupt where are the CMC charges? Bligh admitted during the election campaign that she knew she couldn't make her slurs stick. Smear and lies from a rotten party desperate to win, and now spook perpetuates it. Sad...

yes, just because someone didnt get caught, it totally means they didnt do anything inappropriate!
03:06pm 06/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22053 posts
Kind of reminds me of that time the liberal party ran a smear campaign against Peter Slipper.
03:09pm 06/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19394 posts
yes, just because someone didnt get caught, it totally means they didnt do anything inappropriate!

guilty until proven innocent, cool story.

Kind of reminds me of that time the liberal party ran a smear campaign against Peter Slipper.

yeah the one where he admitted to using vulgar terms to describe female genitalia and then resigned in disgrace - the same one where the Commonwealth Govt made a payout to James Ashby in settlement of his claim for failure to provide a safe workplace. ;)

All smear hey.... Slipper is a pig and he himself even realised it in the end.
03:13pm 06/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9737 posts
yeah Im sure Slippers taxpayer funded Limmo rides to Kings Cross at midnight were work-related.
03:14pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3636 posts
scooter, how does a change at fed level relate to the FACT newman stated on a number of time there would not be a change in policy

he even put it in writing, a number of time, upto a week before the change

also, if you honestly think that the documents that were tabled with such fine details managed to get drawn up in less than 5 days, you are kidding

also, nthe 100bil thing was said a number of times http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/06/23/426851_sue-lappeman-opinion.html, in fact it was said a number of times on the ABC, and steve austin had to repeated correct people

as for the staff cuts, he stated there would be changes, and I will give you that he hasn't out and out lied regarding sackings, or a lessening of front line staff, but has he been true to his word, no, there has been a lessen of frontline staff, he moved the bar so remove more people,

how about the pledge for a police chopper, he said there would be one, he said that all his pomises were "fully funded"
instead of what most people would have thought would happen (ie funding given to the QPS to get a chopper) what really happened was he said they could have one, but only if it fitted in the current funding to the QPS

a little sneaky if you ask me

it is like when your younger, pleding to mum and dad for a NES, because even tho you have been saving all your pocket money, you know by the time you'll have enough there will be a game cube,
so when your mum and dad say for xmas would you like to get a NES, you think you'll be getting one, xmas roll by, and you open the box, and inside there is a note saying "save you pennies, and you can get one)
03:38pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6145 posts
scooter, how does a change at fed level relate to the FACT newman stated on a number of time there would not be a change in policy

"I take this opportunity to reaffirm my statements, made before the last election, that the State Government has no plans to approve the development of uranium in Queensland, " Mr Newman wrote on October 11.

After that, the landscape surrounding Uranium significantly changed. AFTER THAT. When things change, like say, massive policy changes handed down from a Labor Federal government, suddenly No Plans turns into. NOW THAT EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WE SHOULD PROBABLY TAKE A NEW LOOK.

You don't seem to be upset at Labor about it, which is weird. They're the ones that that made Uranium mining a possibility in QLD, and the rest of Aus.

it is like when your younger, pleding to mum and dad for a NES,

It's not like that at all. Keeping your Mum/Pop scenario. It's Mum and Dad telling you're not allowed to play video games. So you don't buy a Game Cube. THEN, mum and dad not only allow you to play games, but they buy you 10 of them... and a Game Cube to play them on. Suddenly your policy of 'I cant play games and I cant get games or a console because I'm not allowed, so I wont bother' turns into "F*** Yeah, game time."

how about the pledge for a police chopper,

You mean the one funded by state funds (through QPS) that even the Police Unuion are happy with? Thats the one you're talking about?

Yesterday, Queensland Police Union president Ian Leavers, who praised the LNP's promises during the election campaign, said he was confident funding would be found for the helicopters.

"With more than $15 million underspent in the QPS budget in the last financial year, there is plenty of room to accommodate this vital law and order commitment," Mr Leavers said.

"We need to remember that the QPU has campaigned for almost 10 years to have a police helicopter and the previous QPS budget underspends more than allowed for this vital policing resource."
03:57pm 06/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17670 posts
You don't seem to be upset at Labor about it,

sfb/spook/copuis labor voting love sandwich up in this mother f*****
04:01pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3637 posts
"I take this opportunity to reaffirm my statements, made before the last election, that the State Government has no plans to approve the development of uranium in Queensland, " Mr Newman wrote on October 11.

After that, the landscape surrounding Uranium significantly changed. AFTER THAT. When things change, like say, massive policy changes handed down from a Labor Federal government, suddenly No Plans turns into. NOW THAT EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WE SHOULD PROBABLY TAKE A NEW LOOK.

You don't seem to be upset at Labor about it, which is weird. They're the ones that that made Uranium mining a possibility in QLD, and the rest of Aus.

sorry, it didn't change so rapidly in a week

also, it isn't like there hasn't been mining in other states, the laws that the fed changed really didn't affect our rules regarding mining in qld, we have always (as a state) had the option to mine, however it was a stance taken by past governments that we wouldn't in this state

in fact the only ones who made it possible to mine in this state was the LNP,

It would be nice if you stopped your little LNP love, and woke up a little bit

the only reason I can see is that businesses would profit short term, and long term we all will suffer, a case of good for a few, but bad for many
04:13pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6146 posts
Nope, Labor actually had the papers around for a while. But no-one could know which way they would eventually fall (Opposition from Greens made it hard to call) And like any good government (Note, not the current Labor Federal or Past QLD Labor ones) the LNP already had scenarios in place so that they could act quickly with clarity. Unlike the former Labor QLD Government... who barely managed to flop around like a 1/2 dead fish on the deck of a boat.

You don't know what you're talking about if you think that the laws changed by the fed government didn't really affect Uranium mining in QLD (and other states.)
04:21pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3638 posts
Nope, Labor actually had the papers around for a while. But no-one could know which way they would eventually fall (Opposition from Greens made it hard to call) And like any good government (Note, not the current Labor Federal or Past QLD Labor ones) the LNP already had scenarios in place so that they could act quickly with clarity. Unlike the former Labor QLD Government... who barely managed to flop around like a 1/2 dead fish on the deck of a boat.You don't know what you're talking about if you think that the laws changed by the fed government didn't really affect Uranium mining in QLD (and other states.)

so wait, if the LNP had the plans done in the event that there was a change to the fed laws,

then Newman out and out lied when he said that they (LNP) had no plans
04:23pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6147 posts
Having plans and having the intention to act on them are 2 very separate things.

I have a plan in place in case I ever lose my job or have a horrible accident which forces me to quit work. Doesn't mean I'm going to enact it, just means I'm prepared in case I have to. I currently have no plans to ever use that backup plan, it's still a good idea to have it.

I could make a snipe here, about the people that fail to plan for possible future outcomes, but it would be a little too easy.
05:08pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34896 posts

after a salami, cheese and chutney sandwich, that is my favorite flavour!!!!
05:20pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3641 posts
scooter, he said he had no plan, he put that in writting, he maintain that view right up till the end (and stated that view more than once)

when someone says they have no plans, "Having plans and having the intention to act on them are 2 very separate things." means f*** all, because having no plans means just that HAVING NO PLANS!, he worded it a number of different ways, and after the fact he claimed it was a surpise and they had to act

they didn't have to act, and that is my point,

it would be akin to saying that you have no plans on f*****g your wifes sister, but putting everything in place in case you get the chance

just because you have the chance, doesn't mean you need to take the chance
05:38pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6148 posts
No plans to approve, not "No plans"
05:43pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3643 posts
no, he stated a number of time, no plans to change the (then) current rules
05:50pm 06/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19395 posts
just like Bligh had no plans to sell assets... you get the drift?
05:53pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6149 posts
And he didn't copuis, he had no intention to change the (then) rules.

Then he didn't change anything, Then Labor changed a whole bunch of stuff, then as any smart person would do, because of the completely new environment surrounding mining, they took a new look. Which resulted in what we have today.
05:55pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3644 posts
just like Bligh had no plans to sell assets... you get the drift?

she didn't back flip a week after reconfirming the point in writting, and she made alot of mistakes which i think came about more because of her ministers, (I think she showed great leadership during times of need, but her management was far from great)

newman seems more about media sound bites, and looking like a leader, but have you spoken to the guy one on one?, he seemed pretty hollow to me (and that goes back to before he was mayor)

scooter, he did change, he allowed it, there was nothing that said it couldn't stay the same, other than greed
06:11pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6150 posts
/sigh.
The situation changed, significantly. Smart people adapt to the new situation.

Not sure why I'm arguing anyway, Uranium mining and Nuclear power are good things.
06:16pm 06/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3645 posts
not the disposal of it

aren't the current EU rules that it has to go back to the country that mined it?, what happens if that changes, and the state has to store it

because the way I see that unfolding is, company comes in, mines it, makes the money and f**** off
we the people then pay to store the s***

great deal, long term pain, short term gain

now had he investing in a power plant instead, I'd be all for that
06:21pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20487 posts
Seems like it'd be irresponsible to at least not have considered a course of action for if things change. I mean, thats what risk management is all about isn't it? You come up with all these things that could go wrong or could change, and then you come up with some strategies or plans for if those situations happen. Doesn't mean you're intending to enact those plans, or hoping those situations happen, but its still smart to plan for it.
06:22pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9887 posts
I think you all need to take a look at Northern Ireland.

It's a "normal" western democracy.

But if a loyalist government decided to it could place polling booths in loyalist areas and call an election during marching season.

It'd win in a landslide and the rate of serious assaults would be through the roof .

Aussies have no idea what the GFC was ... we skipped it ...
08:28pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1235 posts
What's up your butt sniffing nose besides Newman's c***.
08:36pm 06/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17671 posts
I haven't said a single word either way

But it is fun hassling you single view types
09:13pm 06/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7082 posts
Blinding, vein popping rage = passion
09:19pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34900 posts
Aussies have no idea what the GFC was ... we skipped it ...

thats because the kruddler and swanny managed it for us.
05:47am 07/01/13 Permalink
PornoPete
Melbourne, Victoria
809 posts
aren't the current EU rules that it has to go back to the country that mined it?

You just make a condition of sale that the person buying it deals with the waste. Why would we offer to store nuclear waste after some other country got all the benefit of it?

It could happen but It is also pretty easy to deal with.
10:06am 07/01/13 Permalink
redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
867 posts
Good article from those goddam pinko commies at the abc drum.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4454938.html
11:02am 07/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5565 posts
They're not all pinko commies at The Drum. They're just as likely to run vapid articles from Chris Berg of the IPA and vitriolic rants from Peter Reith, as they are to give Mungo MacCallum type lefties a show for example.
02:23pm 07/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9741 posts
http://www.news.com.au/national/peter-slipper-summonsed-by-australian-federal-police/story-fndo4eg9-1226549056082

After an investigation lasting nearly nine months, the Australian Federal Police said it had served Mr Slipper with a summons "in relation to three offences of Dishonestly Causing a Risk of a Loss to the Commonwealth".
The alleged offences would breach the Commonwealth Criminal Code, if proven, and carry a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment.

09:47pm 07/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19398 posts
Cabcharges...
10:10pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1236 posts
^all whilst an LNP pollie and fully endorsed by TA even though TA as usual hadn't read any of it.
10:13pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6151 posts
Yeah, dude should have just taken the plane around, like Rudd.
10:14pm 07/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19399 posts
Promoted to Speaker by....
10:44pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1237 posts
^and at the time of this allegation totally supported and endorsed by his best mate TA.
11:47pm 07/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19400 posts
nope, if you recall he was in the process of being replaced by the LNP during preselection. he knew he was going to lose and so took the Speakership.

I remember watching the Speaker's ballot and the Libs nominated a number of Labor candidates for Speaker... all rejected.
11:49pm 07/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1238 posts
^ These allegations stem from 2009 before those allegations of cabcharges brought by Ashby during his farcical sexual harrasment case. These are from when he was firmly an LNP member and endorsed and supported by TA.
11:59pm 07/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17675 posts
are you saying his change to labor completely reformed him and it must have been his time at the lnp that caused him to do what he did?

come the f*** on and pull your head out of your ass, labor knew what he was but they needed him
08:53am 08/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1239 posts
F*** you are a moron. I'm laughing at the hypocrisy of the lnp who also knew he was dirty yet only went after slipper when he defected. To criticise labor over and above the lnp is really a steaming pile of s***. Plus you're a f***wit.
09:25am 08/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6152 posts
But to criticise LNP and not Labor is ok, right?

Both sides have f***wits, and it seems that this particular f***wit had both sides.
09:29am 08/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1240 posts
Did I say that. Criticise labor all you like but to ignore the lnp and their involvement in slipper is disingenuous at best and downright hypocritical and dishonest at worst .
09:43am 08/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7084 posts
NO
THERE IS ONLY BLACK AND WHITE
RIGHT AND WRONG
YOU AND ME
F*** YOUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
09:48am 08/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19401 posts
reload has been up all night and is off him meds.

there are plenty of scumbag MPs (craig thomson) but who in their right mind promotes a scumbag to speaker of the house.

gillard did it purely to hold onto govt. she put a grub scumbag in charge of our parliament. wtf...
10:28am 08/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7086 posts
can't sleep, clown'll eat me
10:40am 08/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6153 posts
Could have been worse, they could have made him leader of the party. Well actually, no. Abbott is worse.
10:50am 08/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34902 posts
and then some!
10:50am 08/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1241 posts
Plenty of scumbags in the lnp. Reith with his multi-thousand dollar rorts, Woolridge with the CAT Scan scam, ministers with travel rorts and breaches and then we had the Fitzgerald inquiry which gaoled numerous N/LP coalition ministers. Yeah the LNP, all virtuous and angelic.
10:52am 08/01/13 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6154 posts
Pot, Kettle, etc.
11:01am 08/01/13 Permalink
Some Fat Bastard
Brisbane, Queensland
1242 posts
Absolutely.
11:16am 08/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7087 posts
so in conclusion most politicians are a pack of sneaky, egotistical c**** with more dirty laundry than a japanese panty machine
11:27am 08/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34903 posts
except for kruddler.
01:08pm 08/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7089 posts
egotistical, just not sneaky enough.

I did enjoy his ruddbux doe
05:26pm 08/01/13 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1724 posts
I haven't read this thread, but I currently work in one of the large departments. Some major s*** is going on at the moment and I'm not going to talk about it here, but you will probably hear about it after this Friday. It's not high level people, but the dodgyness of this s*** would make people extremely pissed off, especially if you work in the public service.
12:11am 09/01/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19402 posts
Just report it here. You have complete anonymity.
12:12am 09/01/13 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5574 posts
I'm guessing it's got something to do with the big police re-org?
12:43am 09/01/13 Permalink
Linker
Brisbane, Queensland
1725 posts
its more of a self serving middle management thing, but certainly a waste of tax payers money to appease a particular MP and DGs etc (though they aren't involved and not in any way to blame). a true dog and pony show.
01:12am 09/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:12am 09/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.