Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
3rd Test - Australia vs. Sri Lanka SCG
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22027 posts
So what do you guys reckon about the selections? I would have preferred to see Maxwell at six and for Siddle to be rested. He has had a heavy workload this summer and playing him in one of the deadest rubbers in recent memory seems a bit silly especially after they rested Starc in the last test.

Maxwell is a handy player I reckon and giving him a run against a depleted Sri Lankan side would have been good for him. I know the public would have seen a 50 or a 100 against them as a small achievement but it would mean a lot to him and give him some extra confidence when or if he faces India or England later this year. Despite Mitchell Johnson's 92* last match I still don't think he is an all-rounder. He might be against Sri Lanka's B side but not against India in India or England.

As for today's play the Aussie bowlers are doing okay I guess. Hussey dropped a regulation catch that would have seen Jayawardene fail yet again. A couple of wickets before lunch would be handy.

Test cricket rulez btw.
12:05pm 03/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:05pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34850 posts
aussies are bowling well.

was lulzing hardcore at nz's efforts against the saffers over there.

talk about destroyed.

and yes, test cricket is very nice, that said, im off to the big bash next monday nite, cant wait for that, and will be organising tickets to the one dayer coming up too, best get organised and on that!
12:23pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2950 posts
I'm off to Big Bash tonight Spook. May even go to a game in Melbourne next week while I'm down there.

Good session so far, fairly even I think.
12:28pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34852 posts
yer, should be a good game, i saw warney's mob play last time they were in brisbane! hopes was right, malinga is the main threat tonite.
12:30pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2951 posts
Different team Spook. Malinga plays for the Renegades, Warney plays for the Stars
12:45pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2952 posts
Oops sorry - misread it. Thought you meant Murali. Ignore me!
12:46pm 03/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22028 posts
No Malinga plays for the Stars.

edit: :P
12:46pm 03/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9722 posts
NZ won the toss and batted, bowled out for 45.
Same ground Australia were skittled for 60 something ?

Weve got a lot of #2 3 4 bowlers but we dont have a spearhead.
I dont see Australia being able to bowl England out twice.
Weakest bowling attack and weakest batting attack to tour England for decades.
And before that there are 4 punishing Tests in India to survive.
Tough year coming up.

Sri Lanka have been disappointing and prolly needed some warm-up matches to adjust to the higher bounce greentops in Australia.
12:51pm 03/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17653 posts
Facey finally gets everyone be wants to retire, then starts slagging off at the new guys that step in

02:30pm 03/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3611 posts
who needs a spearhead when you have a bone breaker for a fast bowler
03:08pm 03/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9724 posts
paveway the reason we dont have a solid batting line-up is because weve wasted 2 years watching two old horses grazing in the paddock when some hot young bucks should have been sowing their wild oats.
03:31pm 03/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17654 posts
Like who kawahja, hughes ? Who else is even remotely in the mix

They have both had chances just as much as any in the past
03:35pm 03/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22033 posts
Is facey trying to talk about cricket again?

How cute! http://i.imgur.com/Z8auE.png
03:42pm 03/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9725 posts
Is fpot still pretending to not read my posts ?
04:04pm 03/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7063 posts
props to the camera man for the box shot just now
5/5
05:01pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2954 posts
And to the guy in charge for not cutting away for a while
05:07pm 03/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34862 posts
haha, warney on fire in the field last nite!

loved that catch where he didnt move and just stood there watching.
07:02am 04/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2955 posts
Yeah that was crazy - he was closer than Luke Wright and didn't try to go for it.

The one he dropped was hit at a cracking pace, but it was straight to him - should have held that one.
09:19am 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34864 posts
was mentally still motorboating liz im guessing.
09:30am 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34866 posts
cowan sux at running between the wickets.
11:03am 04/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17655 posts
seriously needs to sort his s*** out and stop being lazy
11:04am 04/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2956 posts
I don't think it was a case of being lazy - was just sloppy decision making. If he didn't think it was on he should have said so. Otherwise commit.
11:36am 04/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17656 posts
he completely mucked around the fisrt run then it was too late when he turned around

and he needs to stop f*****g around with this gloves at the non-striker end
11:41am 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34867 posts
warner and hughes are looking pretty good;
12:04pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2957 posts
Ok, just saw the replay - he did go light on that first run for sure, so yes, somewhat lazy.
12:43pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Tooheys
846 posts
Warmer wouldn't be out if Hughes wasn't a strike hog. He'd be about 150 if he'd rotate the strike. Hughes 120 balls Warner 20.
01:58pm 04/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22034 posts
I dislike Hughes but he was making use of the strike pretty well. It's only s*** when a player takes all the strike but doesn't tick the scoreboard over.
02:05pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Tooheys
847 posts
Lets see. 70 off 120 and a dominating batsmen in 120 strike rate in good touch out. Or rotate the strike and 40 odd off 60 and Warner on 160 off 140. Total score comparison option 1 2 for 170 or 1 for 220. Hmmm. Warner was in serious batting form and that's what ppl came to see. It's like playing golf behind slow players. It's not ok if ur playing well to hold others up just isnt
02:39pm 04/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22036 posts
70 off 120 is good. You'd take that in test cricket any day of the week. It was just a matter of time before Warner holed out again in the deep so I could create a little made up scenario as well where he holed out in the 25th over instead of the 35th if the strike was rotated more often.

As I said, hogging the strike is only bad if you are doing nothing with it. There isn't a batsmen in the world who would be unhappy spending a bit of time at the non-striker's end watching the other guy score consistent runs if they have the team first in mind. Sitting at the non-striker's end and watching the other guy block pies all day is a different story and that wasn't happening.
02:52pm 04/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3627 posts
the issue i have (more with cowan but both have this problem) they seem to go for the runs at the expence of thier wicket

has there been a test in the last two season where both openers scored above 30?
02:57pm 04/01/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36634 posts
When the f*** did Australia forget how to run between wickets?
03:46pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34869 posts
cowan's was a shocker.

hussey was a victim of some pretty good fielding.
03:47pm 04/01/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3629 posts
(trog, I think you should reverse your new pic, so that youre cooly looking at the wisdom posted, not away)
03:48pm 04/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9729 posts
I know one crease he isnt scared of taking middle with.
09:21pm 04/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7073 posts
HIYOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo
09:23pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Tooheys
848 posts
Lol ur a clown. Yes 70/120 is good 9/10 times. But not when u arrive at the crease and the guy at the other end is on 60/50 and u only give him 1 ball in every 7. Sometimes not even letting him face a ball for several overs. That is not team play at all. I give u that Warner may have holed out earlier but he may also have totally taken them apart. This individual play is the reason Australia r shot atm. Clarke may be averaging 100+ but he captains like a donk
10:18pm 04/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22040 posts
You really sound like you know what you're talking about. I better go and reassess everything I have ever learned about cricket. I'll get back to you when I'm done.
10:58pm 04/01/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10428 posts
that bird fella did a good job on day 1
i found it an odd decision to win the toss but send SL in to bat
i guess we were just tired of the opposing team blocking for the last day and a half?
09:45am 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17658 posts
Jackson bird is a great looking prospect
10:09am 05/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20966 posts
Bird definitely looks the good, but we can only have 3 or 4 quicks per test; we have Cummins and Patterson, Siddle, Stark, Bird, Johnson (lol, good 1 in every 10 tests), Hilfy, Ryan Harris.... so I don't know how you'll fit them all in when everyone is 'fit' (lols)

but yeah our bowling looks more secure then the batting - so much experience lost in the batting side :/
10:26am 05/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2958 posts
Hilfy and Harris are done for the foreseeable future, barring injury. Harris is too injury prone and will get little cricket in before the end of the summer, and Hilfy hasn't been taking the big wickets or bags of them - he seems to mainly pick up a few in the middle order and tail. Bird has done a really good job so far playing the role Hilfy should have been doing, so he will be sticking around for a while now.

I'd imagine they are going to take 5 quicks + Watson to the Ashes, so as long as everyone is fit I would think we would be going with Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Johnson and Bird at this stage. There was some talk of having a couple of guys play county cricket as well so they could be accessed quickly if required.

As for Bird, his supporter's group 'The Bird's Nest' has one of the better names I've heard in a while.
12:43pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Chakas
USA
3491 posts
It will also be interesting how they structure the top and middle order going into the upcoming big series. Khawaja seems like the batsman in waiting for Hussey's spot. But he bats at 3 for Qld, and you already have a top 4 full of openers (if you consider that Watson has had most of his success at the top). So even though this could apply to a number of guys coming in, if it is Khawaja, do you slot him in at 6? Move Watson down to 6 to give him more of a break and put Khawaja in the top order? If Warner or Cowan slump in the short term do you move Hughes back up and put Khawaja in at 3?

I think he'd go straight in at 6... but Hussey leaving a vacant spot in the middle order isn't something I'd really considered for the India tour and the Ashes...
12:46pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17659 posts
I think watson's bowling career is done and dusted

Ps. Siddle punching well above weight, holy s***
12:49pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2959 posts
I think watson's bowling career is done and dusted

It sounds like you are right, although Pup did say last week if he wants to be the all rounder, he has to bowl. He had the potential to be our Jacque Kallis - such a shame.
01:16pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17660 posts
It will come down to does he want to be in the team..

He'll end up just being forgotten about if he keeps getting injured too many more times

Whatever happen to stuart clark? He was awesome he got injured an elbow injured if i remember correctly and never got another chance
01:23pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2960 posts
I think he has retired? He is involved in one of the Big Bash franchises in some capacity from what I understand, but not sure if it is in a playing role.
01:39pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17661 posts
I saw him play last year when i went to one of those terrible big bash games

He came in straight after mcgrath and was almost a carbon copy style bowler, got injured never heard from him again

I know he played state cricket and s*** after because i remember seeing his name
01:47pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22044 posts
McGrath has never bowled in a Big Bash game.
01:52pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17662 posts
I never said he did, i said stuart clark was

He came in to the australian test team as a direct replacement when mcgrath retired
01:58pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34883 posts
pretty sure pave meant career wise there matey, and not bowling order in the big bash.
01:58pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22046 posts
Oh yeah. Well you have to admit it kind of sounds like you were saying he bowled after McGrath's spell in a Big Bash game :P

But he was a damn good bowler. I want Ryan Harris to get fit again. He averages 23 in tests and 18 (!) in ODIs. He has only played a handful of matches but there is some obvious talent there.
02:06pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34884 posts
harris is an incredible bowler. hes not that tall, and hes certainly not the traditional size of a fast bowler, but hes hella quick.

no doubt thats why he has so many injuries. its a shame, he could have had a great career if he could have stayed fit.

fast bowling puts such an enormous strain on the body. no wonder malinga retired from tests, i cringe watching every delivery he bowls.

4 overs a day sounds about right for him.
02:10pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2961 posts
How good was he the other night. 3/0 at one stage.
02:43pm 05/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34886 posts
hmmmm, sri lankans off to a good start.
02:56pm 05/01/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10429 posts
yeah, a 100 run partnership is not the kind of thing we want to let happen right now
03:08pm 05/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22048 posts
It's all good.
06:36pm 05/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17664 posts
Never in doubt
07:51pm 05/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20967 posts
was there ever doubt against Sri Lanka?
10:32am 06/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17666 posts
i heard the most f*****g retarded rumour on the radio just before:

mike hussey is going to be dropped from the one day side this summer and this could be his last international match........

better just be radio stupidity
11:40am 06/01/13 Permalink
Zak
Brisbane, Queensland
2962 posts
Pave - it's real

Squad: George Bailey (capt), Ben Cutting, Xavier Doherty, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Phil Hughes, David Hussey, Usman Khawaja, Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc.
11:42am 06/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17667 posts
oh sweet we're send in the Australia A team
12:09pm 06/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20968 posts
yeah pretty f*****g stupid.

Cricket Australia have lost the plot!!
12:12pm 06/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20969 posts
jesus f*** Cowan
12:15pm 06/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17668 posts
no warner in that squad either?

lul
12:21pm 06/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9733 posts
sorry but I wouldnt be paying to see neville nobodies.

I hate to say this but if you put Punter and Huss in people will go to see them.
Sri Lanka are missing Sanga and jaywardne their two best batsmen and will likely get raped. No Warner ? keh ? Boyd ?

FFS its time to get rid of that spinner, hes blows chunks.
Dont pick a Spinner just to have a Spinner.
choose your best Bowlers.
12:37pm 06/01/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2896 posts
Pave - it's real

Squad: George Bailey (capt), Ben Cutting, Xavier Doherty, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Phil Hughes, David Hussey, Usman Khawaja, Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc.

I am only judging on what I have seen in the T20 big bash but this looks like a f*****g GUN team!
12:40pm 06/01/13 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7079 posts
RAH ROH
02:07pm 06/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22050 posts
That has to be the T20 squad because Clarke is still captain of the ODI team.

I actually support the dropping of Hussey. It is time to start thinking towards the 2015 World Cup and Hussey has declared he does not want to concentrate on cricket and wants to focus on family life. This shows that the selectors are willing to make hard decisions and not make selections based on sentimentality which is a good thing.

What I don't agree with is resting Warner, Bailey as backup captain and Haddin as the second keeper. Warner has to the potential to be a good ODI player but just needs to find was rhythm. He has struggled to find that happy medium between T20 and test style. To be honest I reckon he should just play like he does in tests and maybe convert to his natural T20 game if quick runs are required. Bailey is just a big ball of mediocre and I don't really see his skill level justifying an Australian selection in even the T20 side, let alone captain.

Haddin is the one that makes the least sense to me. If the selectors are looking to the future why aren't they picking Paine instead? A 28 year old who has played tests and ODIs would be my pick over 35 year old Haddin any day of the week. Maybe this is a case of the selectors knowing something that we don't.

I can't wait to see Maxwell play some more games at international level. I like the direction of his forward turn sail.
02:10pm 06/01/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17669 posts
So is warner being rested or are they trying to be all edgey again by not selecting him because of his average
02:58pm 06/01/13 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2897 posts
I can't wait to see Maxwell play some more games at international level. I like the direction of his forward turn sail.

This guy is tops to watch in the T20 !!!
02:59pm 06/01/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22052 posts
He is being rested for at least the first couple of games.
03:05pm 06/01/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20970 posts
Note that ODI squad is only for the first two ODI's - so the team will likely change....

also the selectors have said they still view Haddin as a test player if something happens to Wade. Haddin is playing well in the Big Bash, but I agree with you fpot - get Paine in there!!

Wade is also struggling at 'basic' keeping, he should be focusing on his keeping not his batting, the keeping is why is he in the team to start with. He's cost us at least 4 or 5 wickets in this series alone!!

Paine is a handy batter as well if that's what they are going for.
03:32pm 06/01/13 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9738 posts
Wade is a very ordinary keeper.
A keeper that can bat is handy but taking 20 wickets is how you win a game.
How many did he bomb this match ?

That Sri Lankan guy is pretty darn good.
Not a bad stand-in
04:52pm 06/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34898 posts
yer, i agree with heardy, wade needs to improve on his glovework. scoring runs is a bonus, but he needs to take the ball, make the stumpings, take the catches.
05:50pm 06/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:50pm 06/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.