We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Family First NZ loses its domain name to Marriage Equality
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10166 posts
This is funny and shows what can happen if you don't keep an eye on your domain name renewal.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/family-first-nz-forgot-to-renew-its-domain-name-lost-it-to-pro-gay-marriage-group/

New Zealand’s political climate isn’t too dissimilar from ours right now. They’re mulling over plain packaging, a carbon tax, a fibre-broadband network and the controversial issue of same-sex marriage. A staunch opponent to the marriage equality movement is Family First New Zealand — a political party that recently collected 50,000 signatures against the move. Little did they know that as they passed around slips of paper to be signed, their domain name had fallen out of registration. It was then swooped on by none other than a pro-Marriage Equality movement.
03:16pm 04/09/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:16pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Taipan
USA
3815 posts
Sneaky lowlife c*** act and kind of juvenile
03:22pm 04/09/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10166 posts
haha it happened to uq.edu.au yesterday

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/the-university-of-queensland-forgot-to-renew-its-domain-name/

The domain name system is so broken, don't even get me started
It's an industry dominated by pieces of s***, scheisters, and downright criminals.

last edited by thermite at 15:27:07 04/Sep/12
03:24pm 04/09/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1648 posts
Pretty cool. But familyfirst.org.nz still exists.
03:25pm 04/09/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21382 posts
All is fair in love, war and attacks against the family first party.
03:43pm 04/09/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10169 posts

I can't see why. Once a domain name expires it is freely available.
03:58pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13653 posts
I would say it won't hold up just because 'family first' is in the actual domain name which is a registered trading name.

Especially given the fact they were previously using it they will get it back - however it will take a bit of time and probably some legal expense as well.
04:17pm 04/09/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10173 posts
04:54pm 04/09/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2843 posts

Agreed. I know nothing about the whole domain name change but i mean tough tits, they f***ed up and got caught out. Same thing would happen in plenty of cases where not doing something by a certain date allows another person/party to get in on the action.

Easiest example i can think of is our current first house. Our application process was beaten by another couple who obviously didnt have their finances and loans in order cause after 2 weeks or whatever passed, they still didnt have their s*** approved where as we had preapproval, real estate agent approached us and we did the deed immediately. Do i feel sorry for the other couple? F*** no.
04:54pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4075 posts

.au domains aren't, your registration will be terminated if someone files a complaint that there is not a close & substantial link between the name you register and the legal entity that registers it.

I'm not familiar with the .nz system though, so cant say whether they have the same thing.
05:53pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Maccas
Brisbane, Queensland
182 posts
Not sure about the legal definition of close and substantial but marriage equality could probably make an argument there is that link.
07:19pm 04/09/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5591 posts
aye bru gimme back my domain or I will slup you with my f*****g jandle
07:29pm 04/09/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2187 posts
The comments of the Gizmodo article say some pretty agreeable things:
Well, they bought “familyfirst.co.nz” and they are campaigning about FAMILY issues that they want put FIRST. So considering the address was available and relates directly to the cause they are promoting I don’t consider it squatting.
The vagueness of the party name is their own damn fault. They wanted to make people think they were high and moral by ‘putting families first’, well someone else decided they wanted to put out a different idea of what families are – ie, inclusive. Marriage equality is about letting people *have* families. I don’t see much more that’s family first than that…

Any party that obviously tries to have a manipulative name can f*** off to be honest. Though I do understand that they wouldn't want to call themselves the Christian Social Conservatives cause then they would get even less votes. The "Liberal" Party isn't much better, it's always funny explaining to non-Australians that our major conservative party is called the Liberal Party and seeing the looks on their faces. And don't even get me started on Communist (ex-)countries' names like the German Democratic Republic and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea!
07:48pm 04/09/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7966 posts
Funnily enough, I was just speaking to a kiwi who is supposedly in the know (unrelated to either groups) and there was rumor of a DOS attack on the site preventing the domain holder from renewing the lease.
07:56pm 04/09/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13068 posts
doesn't sound feasible hermi
even registrars that don't have automatic credit card renewal give you months of notice when a domain is coming up for renewal. how could someone keep a site unavailable that long, let alone their telephone numbers
05:09am 05/09/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7968 posts
Yeah, pretty much what I thought and said as well.
Only reason I gave it any credence was that I do know that plenty of businesses ignore payment for things (invoices etc) up until the last minute.
01:32pm 05/09/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7338 posts
It's an industry dominated by pieces of s***, scheisters, and downright criminals.

Totally agree, and I would know - I used to work for AusRegistry.
01:58pm 05/09/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2884 posts

I thought it was f*****g brilliant! Oh and hows the Irony here?
02:43pm 05/09/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6921 posts
which of those are you, raven?
02:44pm 05/09/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:44pm 05/09/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.