We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
New low in journalism
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3560 posts
Well I know this post is going to be about news.com.au but seriously they've even gone further downhill than the usual 'scientific boffin' and latest 'glassing joust'

I've noticed recently a number of stories which are pretty much Reddit articles - formatted a little differently and reposted as fact.

This is completely and totally f***ed. What the hell happened to actual real journalism? It's really not right that people take s*** which can be completely made up (most of the internet) and repost it as a factual story. Even though Today Tonight and ACA have been doing it for years - it's totally and completely f***ed that this is happening to more and more mainstream media these days.

Here are some examples

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/cant-touch-this-confession-of-hotel-employees/story-e6frfq80-1226461550850

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/aussie-tragedy-the-terrible-price-of-coming-out/story-fndo48ca-1226446628117

http://www.news.com.au/news/ask-me-anything-barack-obama-man-of-the-people/story-fnejlrpu-1226461576553

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/reddit-user-flies-around-the-world-helping-others/story-e6frfq80-1226449235192

Social media is great for new impacts and events but for everyday news reporting it's just a total cop out. I'm sure now that most journalists don't actually leave the office, but spend it inside F5ing websites and reposting the same crap with zero factchecking.

:(
02:25pm 30/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:25pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4603 posts
Social media is great for new impacts and events but for everyday news reporting it's just a total cop out.
i find open social media platforms, when used competently* are very good sources of information.

*normally involves going through the comments and following the links and back stories provided by the commenters. the actual article itself is normally very poor, but the commenting sections are normally very high quality if you know what to look for.
02:32pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5182 posts
A new low? Isn't this simply news.com.au business as usual?
02:33pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6015 posts
While I agree with you mostly Obama, POTUS, doing an AMA is actually news worthy. It's different to the norm, and pretty significant (even though it was only 30min and he only answered soft questions.)

Fair enough to report on it IMO. The others? Yeah. Comedians/Radio Hosts have been stealing jokes from the likes of FARK and other sites for years. News.com.au hasn't been a 'news' site for a very long time.
02:46pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7331 posts
I wouldn't call this a new low - last week they had, on the front page: "Is this Prince Harry's pseudonym on Facebook?"
02:51pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3561 posts
It just s**** me that this is the mainstream media for Australia. People swallow this crap - I hate it when my dad reads some bulls*** article and tells me about it because from the era he's from - if it's written in paper then it's fact (meaning it has been fact checked and proven)

02:52pm 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10141 posts
03:07pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5183 posts
I'd posit that it's always been a bad idea to blindly take anything you read in the news as the truth regardless of what era you're from. news.com.au doesn't have a monopoly on bulls*** and incompetence.
03:22pm 30/08/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7218 posts
I fizzled from the butt when all the kony stuff was going viral on the internet thanks to these "news" sites.

Only had to do about 1 minute of googling to realise it was all bulls*** and the facts were not aligned with the claims.

last edited by parabol at 15:28:06 30/Aug/12
03:26pm 30/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21329 posts
Everyone should just use news.google.com. Very easy to read news from multiple sources. If it's an important enough story I always read the articles from several newspapers just to kind of cross-reference them to try and get the whole story.
03:27pm 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10143 posts
Have you ever read a news article about something that you actually know about yourself?
You notice they get it sooo wrong.
Then you realise that...hang on... maybe all news articles are wrong!!?
03:36pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34191 posts
people should jsut relax hey
03:36pm 30/08/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7909 posts
Most of them were on fairfax as well, they probably pay the same social media monitoring company, or it now pushes stories to the wire.

I thought this was going to be about the 'twitter attack' sending some nobody from top model to hospital
03:45pm 30/08/12 Permalink
DeathSyndrome
Brisbane, Queensland
845 posts
Have you ever read a news article about something that you actually know about yourself? You notice they get it sooo wrong. Then you realise that...hang on... maybe all news articles are wrong!!?

Yes, I have. Its either blatantly wrong or a very twisted version of the truth
05:47pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20497 posts
Have you ever read a news article about something that you actually know about yourself?
You notice they get it sooo wrong.
Then you realise that...hang on... maybe all news articles are wrong!!?

like when they do the technobabble on ncis/csi/lawn order/bones/every cop show ever.

Quick, the suspect is trying to hijack our firewall and infiltrate our packets, set up a secondary isolation barrier to contain his ip and reverse flush his modem.

the f***?
05:55pm 30/08/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21336 posts
06:28pm 30/08/12 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1638 posts
Why do you people even visit news.com.au? We all know it's the s***test source of news on the planet, yet you still go there. If you don't go there, then they wont get hits, which equates to less revenue.

But it's like people whinging about CoD games being s*** and over priced, but still buying them.
08:32pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4605 posts
because the voting public go there and are influenced. Excessive outrage is the only option we have to combat this.
08:44pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
190 posts
I thought journalism hit a new low when Andrew Bolt got his own TV show. Could they at least give Annabel Crabb her own TV show to balance things out a little (yes, I know she holds Labor to account unlike Bolt holding the Libs to account.)
10:35pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Jack
Sydney, New South Wales
47 posts
Iam 100% with you Space Ninja , but i have been for a long long time... its not just the modern era or social media that gets the one sided or re-hashed bulls*** we hear through corupt and useless journalism!! All that social media ( twitter, facebook, youtube, myspace and the net in general ) has aloud the "so called news-bringers able to do , is use these great tools to totally ill effect!!! iam with you , f*** them all, its hard to believe anything that comes out of modern news, but that has always been the case , way before the news was ever printed. The sad case of "chinese whispers" gone completly wrong on all fronts!!!!!
01:00am 31/08/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6278 posts
All your journalism questions can be answered by the newsroom. ha

These articles are all about getting ratings(hits) they dont care about truth/facts. The more people they can get the better it is for them.
08:47am 31/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12990 posts
abc news or GTFO
09:00am 31/08/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36471 posts
Looks like the same old low to me

I no longer visit the website, not even to click on articles that people are all like "omg this is the most retarded article!".

THAT'S WHY THEY WRITE THEM. If you click on them, they win. If you click on them and comment on how dumb they are, they win even more.
09:40am 31/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10145 posts
I am so sick of hearing about that Charlotte Dawson b****. She clearly did whatever she did to get attention and support her own anti-bullying cause.

I am also sick of hearing the terms 'bully' and 'troll' in the media. They are almost never used correctly. And usually whenever someone has any kind of normal human reaction, or a disagreement of any kind ... oh no it's a troll-bully!!!! TAKE THEM TO COURT!!!

I hated the word 'bully' in school. I hate the word 'troll' now. The idea is a s*** weasley way for some c*** of a b**** to be boss and tell people how it is.

Charlotte Dawson wants to be boss and tell you how it is.

10:17am 31/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17148 posts
Only had to do about 1 minute of googling to realise it was all bulls*** and the facts were not aligned with the claims.

yeah it was good, it was a fun going around s***ting in peoples kony posts on facebook with some actual facts and killing there warm and fuzzy feeling buz
12:18pm 31/08/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1085 posts
I am so sick of hearing about that Charlotte Dawson b****. She clearly did whatever she did to get attention and support her own anti-bullying cause.

She said a bunch of stupid s*** about New Zealand . A five year old could predict the backlash against comments like that. Just step away from the keyboard, lady.
12:23pm 31/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:23pm 31/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.