Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Apple Beats Samsung in Court Battle.
Rdizz
Germany
2119 posts

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/24/apple-wins-patent-ruling-as-jury-finds-samsung-infringes/

Apple Awarded $1.051 Billion In Damages As Jury Finds Samsung Infringed On Design And Software Patents

The jury in the landmark Apple-Samsung trial ruled mostly in favor of Apple, including awarding Apple $1,051,855,000 in damages. Samsung, on the other hand, was granted a total of $0 in damages.

F*****g retarded. I really dont like apple.
10:13am 25/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:13am 25/08/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6916 posts
ouch
10:22am 25/08/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12664 posts
From the comments:
The verdict is still happening and what you have posted is not entirely true TechCrunch. In fact, on one of the questions it was a No across the board. BAD HEADLINE TechCrunch. Bad....
10:24am 25/08/12 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
507 posts
Gee surprise? an american court ruled in favor of an american company? yep that was a fair trial.... 1billion dollars less that apple was asking...f*** you apple F*** you!
11:14am 25/08/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2721 posts
For 3 days the jury discussed how awesome their iPhone is and history is only recorded post iPhone.
11:42am 25/08/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1302 posts
What I want to know is, why the f*** was this a jury trial? Surely this would have been fairer if it were decided by a judge or panel of judges sufficiently versed in patent law to understand the complexities of the case and not left in the hands of consumers.
11:46am 25/08/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2722 posts
What I want to know is, why the f*** was this a jury trial? Surely this would have been fairer if it were decided by a judge or panel of judges sufficiently versed in patent law to understand the complexities of the case and not left in the hands of consumers.

Pretty much what I thought when I read the news this morning. I wouldn't trust myself to make an unbias/informed decision about such matters.
12:17pm 25/08/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4211 posts
I wouldn't trust myself to make an unbias/informed decision about such matters.
apple customers in the jury?

if everyone just boycotts apple they can loose the 1bil one over
12:24pm 25/08/12 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
1063 posts
This is really disappointing, I love Apples products but was really hoping Samsung got the win here.

Goodbye innovation.
12:39pm 25/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3453 posts
The Samsung vs Apple battle in Korea ended with both being guilty of infringement:

http://newyork.newsday.com/business/technology/apple-vs-samsung-s-korea-court-rules-iphone-not-copied-1.3924986
01:21pm 25/08/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3557 posts
sounds like the more awesome manufacturer won

sent from my iPad
01:37pm 25/08/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2233 posts
But my SGII is far more superior than my iphone ever was. Case closed imo/
03:38pm 25/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6033 posts
This is really disappointing, I love Apples products but was really hoping Samsung got the win here.Goodbye innovation.

That's the stand i think people should take up.

Irrespective of who versus who, if a company is able to sue over really trivial stuff like the colours of a call button and shape of a phone.

Here's a quote from mental's link
The court also denied Apple's claim that Samsung had illegally copied its design, ruling that big rectangular screens in cases with rounded corners had existed in products before the iPhone and iPad.
To me that's all that is similar between the two products, touchwiz was never anything similar to the iphone interface. I went from a iphone 3g to a SGS1 and they couldn't be more opposed, widgets and pulldown bars and apps are in a totally separate menu. The fact that things like icon similarities can create a basis of a multibillion dollar lawsuit is just shocking and terrible.

Patent law is supposed to protect innovation not a specific colour or shape of similar objects. Could you immagine if someone patented every type of keyboard layout so we couldn't have similar keyboards? If phone dialpads were patented by apple, then our numbers wouldn't be sequential unless it was an iphone.
03:43pm 25/08/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2235 posts
^Someone from Apple reads this and instantly starts trying to patent the QWERTY keyboard layout.
03:54pm 25/08/12 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11732 posts

Meh it's being appealed and I'm sure will still drag on for another few years.
08:50am 26/08/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
325 posts
^Someone from Apple reads this and instantly starts trying to patent the QWERTY keyboard layout.

Nah, that'll never work. They'll patent using single fingers to type on touch-screen soft-keypads.

So now you'll have to type with 2 fingers on each button or apple will sue you stupid...

I think that's a fair approximation of how f*****g stupid this is.

Also, food for thought:

http://www.redmondpie.com/did-apple-rip-off-this-students-rejected-wireless-syncing-app-for-iphone-from-cydia/
10:26am 26/08/12 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1242 posts
This morning more than 30 trucks filled up with coins of 5 cents arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said it was diverted to the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

the funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send him to the creators of the iPhone its billion dollars as they deem best.

This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives in the sense of the method that they need to apply for counting all that money, check if it is complete and try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept to receive that.

Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law.

A total of 20 billion coins, deliver hope to finish this week.

Let’s see how Apple will respond to this

http://en.paperblog.com/samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cents-coins-294795/

Wednesday LOLs
03:50pm 29/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2782 posts
This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives in the sense of the method that they need to apply for counting all that money, check if it is complete and try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept to receive that.

I like the idea of wasting apple's time counting the coins and paying people to do so but considering the massive cash they bring in, i wouldnt be surprised if they just dumped the coins @ the bank and made it their problem. Would a bank really stand up to apple and risk losing their business? I know the average person would have difficulties paying with all 5c, but apple? I doubt it.

Also, why didnt they use USD 1c?
03:58pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1355 posts
because its not real
04:00pm 29/08/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3135 posts
sounds like the more awesome manufacturer won

sent from my iPad

just read this thread, and I dont think you get it, apple one, not foxconn

also, you're a fool, apple is like Thomas Edison, great at claiming others ideas
04:03pm 29/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15810 posts
wait, wasn't samsung going to appeal?
04:04pm 29/08/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1077 posts
lol crash
04:07pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4074 posts
wait, wasn't samsung going to appeal?
They certainly will, but their next step is to argue that the jury did not follow the judge's instructions and so should be thrown out.

The jury were not apple lovers (apparently only one of them owned an Apple product), but some of their decisions are certainly eyebrow raising:

Consider the iphone vs Captivate (AT&T Galaxy S2):

http://androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/thumb_550_ip4-vs-captivate.jpg

The jury have said that the Captivate infringes on a design patent covering the front face of the iphone's hardware (totally ignoring software)

If the captivate's *hardware appearance* infringes on the iphone, then god help us.
04:34pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Azaria
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1161 posts
04:35pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7328 posts
Things which I see are similar:
1. It has a color LCD display approx 4".
2. ...
04:36pm 29/08/12 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1079 posts
Haven't all phones always looked the same?
04:43pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Nakor
Brisbane, Queensland
3166 posts
Haven't all phones always looked the same?

Yeah, but they haven't always made their companies squillions of $$
06:26pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Framdley
Wynnum, Queensland
12 posts
I have invented a product. Rather than zooming, the objects themselves enlarge within the screen. Zooming is old technology. 'Bigifeye' (TM).

Patent Pending.
06:59pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1978 posts
Well the be honnest, Apple changed the whole mobile phone industry with the iphone.

They no longer lead that field.... even though apple don't make the phone at all. they are a software only company.. samsung make the iphone displays.

it's just a stupid f***ed up circle that will go on and on from what samsung have said.. it appears that they kind of don't really give a s*** and will continue to do what they are doing.

I sold my 4s to get my S3. Wouldn't have it any other way.
07:03pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6275 posts
http://en.paperblog.com/samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cents-coins-294795/

This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.
07:20pm 29/08/12 Permalink
no you hang up
Brisbane, Queensland
2250 posts
this is looking like a hoax.

The funny thing is the story originated from a meme of the popular website 9Gag.com. Thus, the news report is a hoax.

This may present an idea to Samsung since the jury did not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send him to the creators of the iPhone its billion dollars as they deem best.

link to article
07:23pm 29/08/12 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5350 posts
Oh really, it is looking like a hoax? lol.

Samsung has appealed. They're not paying anything (yet).
07:31pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4600 posts
if it matters, google is now directly suing apple in an attempt to get their I products banned. (this is the first apparently Google has gotten directly involved in defending android)
08:31pm 29/08/12 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1243 posts
Apple uses third party companies until they can do what they want themselves.

I like Apple as they make technology simple and easy to use for everyone, seeing my Nephew play with an Ipad (5 Years old) is crazy what he can do.

I admire Apples marketing they could sell Ice to an Eskimo.

I hate Apple, how they charge big money for a product that I feel is inferior all the Apple fanboys cheer Samsung has been ordered to pay $1b. The Apple fanboys would still be paying for Mobile Me and other features that Android/Samsung/HTC have done for free.

Apple is just afraid of a little competition in my eyes.
09:16pm 29/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6044 posts
oops been drinking forgot to moderate my posts ;D
10:27pm 29/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10133 posts
I admire Apples marketing they could sell Ice to an Eskimo.

I'm into computers and I have never bought an apple computer.

You might be exaggerating a bit.
09:34am 30/08/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5543 posts
thermite you are not their target audience. They're after non-computer people the same way a hyundai getz is for non car people.

Bad analogy? maybe but you get my drift.
11:20am 30/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10138 posts
Well don't tell me that, tell mosfx
11:49am 30/08/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3137 posts
Well the be honnest, Apple changed the whole mobile phone industry with the iphone.They no longer lead that field.... even though apple don't make the phone at all. they are a software only company.. samsung make the iphone displays.it's just a stupid f***ed up circle that will go on and on from what samsung have said.. it appears that they kind of don't really give a s*** and will continue to do what they are doing.I sold my 4s to get my S3. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Well the be honnest, Apple changed the whole mobile phone industry with the iphone.They no longer lead that field.... even though apple don't make the phone at all. they are a software only company.. samsung make the iphone displays.it's just a stupid f***ed up circle that will go on and on from what samsung have said.. it appears that they kind of don't really give a s*** and will continue to do what they are doing.I sold my 4s to get my S3. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I would disagree that they changed the whole mobile phone industry, there were plenty of touch screen phones before apple, all they did was simple software with very minimal functionality (at first) that was easy to use, hell my blackberry is as old as the iphone line, it took apple a few upgrades to get to the same functional level, and then again my phone as old as it is, is still better at creating data (due to the physical nature, and the fact it does not require autocorrect, or hand to be dry, and in a set temperature range )
02:06pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4604 posts
I would disagree that they changed the whole mobile phone industry
your kidding right? although the feature set of my razor was better than the iphone, the interface they built was indeed a game changer. a cheapish, highly flexable touch interface on a phone meant the phone was flexible enough to use the Web well (comparatively), this is why everyone else changed too. because of the massive draw of web accessible mobile device (marketed as a smart phone) that was easy to use.

they change the whole mobile industry. hell, they had a huge impact on the web industry as well as the software industry, but largely due to the massive of users.
03:18pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1244 posts
I'm into computers and I have never bought an apple computer.

You might be exaggerating a bit.

It was a figure of speech, I don't own Apple products either, I was just saying that I like Apples Marketing they do a good job with it because most people get sucked into buying their products with massive over inflated prices, and their users are all pro apple and you couldn't convince them otherwise even if you tried.
03:25pm 30/08/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3138 posts
your kidding right? although the feature set of my razor was better than the iphone, the interface they built was indeed a game changer. a cheapish, highly flexable touch interface on a phone meant the phone was flexible enough to use the Web well (comparatively), this is why everyone else changed too. because of the massive draw of web accessible mobile device (marketed as a smart phone) that was easy to use.

they change the whole mobile industry. hell, they had a huge impact on the web industry as well as the software industry, but largely due to the massive of users.

you are aware that there were plenty of touch screen phone that had good screen size, and could browse the web well,
here is one a year before iphone was announced
http://www.gsmarena.com/i_mate_jamin-1420.php
and just to compare
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone-1827.php
oh, and looks the same, yet both announced about the same time (tho the LG was first) http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_ke850_prada-1828.php

oh, and to really push the point, this phone http://www.gsmarena.com/benq_p30-757.php which you might notice has pretty much all the features of the first iPhones, was on the market the same year they started development of the iphone (2004)

the only difference (at that stage) was less features, and a simpler interface, so as I said before, they had very very little impact on hardware

so again, tell me about the magic phone that transformed all other phones?
03:36pm 30/08/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2124 posts
i agree, if i never broke my palm treo 750 i would probably have never got an iphone.
09:20pm 30/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:20pm 30/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.