Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Anders Behring Breivik declared sane and sentenced
kos
Germany
2168 posts
Well the result of the Breivik trial in Norway has just completed with Breivik being declared sane and sentenced to jail by the panel of judges.

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,16190558,00.html

He was officially sentenced to 21 years jail with a minimum term of 10 years, but before everyone gets completely outraged like the rest of the morons on the internet reacting exactly as the sensationalist news outlets want, I thought I'd try to explain the Norwegian legal system (which has similarities to the German model) from my admittedly limited understanding. The concept is basically to allow for the possibility of rehabilitating anyone regardless of what they have done, while still allowing those who should not be part of society to remain separated from it permanently.

In the simplest terms, the maximum term available for the judges to give was 21 years, but they have in effect declared him not suitable to ever be reintroduced into society. Once he has served his time, the judicial system has the ability to add 5 years if they deem him unfit to be released, indefinitely. Considering what he has done, and what the judges have declared, there is no chance that he will ever be released from incarceration.
07:03pm 24/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:03pm 24/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2728 posts
So its 21 years but they will keep adding 5yrs on forever. WTF.
07:06pm 24/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2863 posts
Predictable outcome.
07:08pm 24/08/12 Permalink
slamma
Perth, Western Australia
67 posts
Man surely this is dude deserves a bullet or two.
07:44pm 24/08/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
321 posts
Man surely this is dude deserves a bullet or two.

One in both kneecaps. Leave him in a paddock to starve / be eaten by the crows, imo.
07:49pm 24/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7339 posts
That is quite a light sentence compared to the death of 70 odd people who had their lives simply extinguished.
08:09pm 24/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3450 posts
Being in Jail for the rest of his life is light (considering they haven't had a peacetime execution since 1876)?
08:14pm 24/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17125 posts
Eorl you must have missed most of the OP explaining the system and how he'll probably stay in jail forever
08:27pm 24/08/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3315 posts
thanks for the explanation, otherwise i was straight on the 'soft' bandwagon.

understanding their system now it seems that's the max so not much else they could do.
08:49pm 24/08/12 Permalink
Vash
3594 posts
He'll get quite bored of sitting in jail quite quickly IMO, and change his story & attitude to get out, while deep down still holding the same beliefs.
09:23pm 24/08/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3451 posts
Lol
09:24pm 24/08/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2170 posts
He'll get quite bored of sitting in jail quite quickly IMO, and change his story & attitude to get out, while deep down still holding the same beliefs.

He won't be kept in jail based on his attitude and story, he'll be kept in jail based on whether it seems like someone who killed 70+ people in cold blood is likely to become a positive member of society again.

I'd imagine he would get very bored though, being permanently in solitary confinement with just a small personal exercise yard. Personally I wouldn't have even provided him with the computer with a word processor that they have, or let him sell his story or even tell it to anyone, as that seems to be just giving him what he wants.
09:29pm 24/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2732 posts
^
On the money. He's in jail for his actions, not his thoughts/beliefs. He wont ever be getting out. However i have no doubt he will try to earn as much money by writing books about his actions and beliefs. I doubt he will change his belief though as thats what he has been using to justify his actions.
10:06pm 24/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9248 posts
He looks devestated.
He got what we wanted, Sane and Life.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/08/24/1226457/704324-norway-attacks-trial.jpg
10:12pm 24/08/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2171 posts
Based on how he has behaved since his apprehension, I don't think anyone would have ever expected him to show any sort of displeasure, regardless of the result.
10:20pm 24/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10104 posts
It'll be interesting to see what he's like in 20 years.
10:41pm 24/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2865 posts
He won't be kept in jail based on his attitude and story, he'll be kept in jail based on whether it seems like someone who killed 70+ people in cold blood is likely to become a positive member of society again.I'd imagine he would get very bored though, being permanently in solitary confinement with just a small personal exercise yard. Personally I wouldn't have even provided him with the computer with a word processor that they have, or let him sell his story or even tell it to anyone, as that seems to be just giving him what he wants.

Norway has a different prison system to a lot of the world, but like so many other areas it too is superior to most. I don't see him being put into a cage like a US prison, also I don't see why he should not be able to write a book, though I assume he will not be able to profit from it. Could fairly easily argue that it would be profiting from a crime, perhaps if it was purely about his beliefs.
02:45am 25/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9251 posts
He kind of already has written a book, his manifesto, which is a very interesting read.
10:33am 25/08/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7953 posts
I would have declared him sane and then placed him in the psych wards anyway.
10:50am 25/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7343 posts
Being in Jail for the rest of his life is light (considering they haven't had a peacetime execution since 1876)?
Eorl you must have missed most of the OP explaining the system and how he'll probably stay in jail forever

Ah woops I see now, I initially read that he was to be kept in jail for a minimum of 10 years and he had a max of 21 years sentenced. Sounded like he would be out sooner rather then never.
11:03am 25/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:03am 25/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.