Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Aussie (and American) scientists discover how to block heroin and mo...
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9893 posts
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news55261.html

In a major breakthrough, an international team of scientists has proven that addiction to morphine and heroin can be blocked, while at the same time increasing pain relief.

The team from the University of Adelaide and University of Colorado has discovered the key mechanism in the body's immune system that amplifies addiction to opioid drugs.

Laboratory studies have shown that the drug (+)-naloxone will selectively block the immune-addiction response.

For those of us who aren't addicted to these drugs the real kicker is going to be the resulting advances in medication for severe pain.
11:10pm 15/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:10pm 15/08/12 Permalink
Vash
3586 posts
Does this also mean, that heroin users can get the high without the addiction? Or would it also block some of the "pleasurable" feelings of the drug?
11:15pm 15/08/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2665 posts
Was reading about the addictive properties of wheat and how some aspect if it is binds to the same opiate receptors and naloxone has the same addiction reducing properties for wheat as it does morphine/heroin. Essentially the article was explaining how wheat addiction is similar to opiate addiction.

Does this also mean, that heroin users can get the high without the addiction? Or would it also block some of the "pleasurable" feelings of the drug?

Skimmed the article and i think it blocks the dopamine high they get, thus no reward for the behaviour.
11:17pm 15/08/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6198 posts
F*** yeah time to start shooting smack.
11:35pm 15/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20821 posts
I'd love to know what heroin feels like. If I knew I was dying and there was no way out I'd like to try heroin at least once to see what it's like.
07:56am 16/08/12 Permalink
Shaexen
Brisbane, Queensland
513 posts
F*** yeah time to start shooting smack.

Seconded.
08:11am 16/08/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12952 posts
Sweet, so we can take this drug everyday, just before work, and not be addicted. Wooo

Seriously though, this is mainly for people who need strong pain relief without the risk of addiction?
08:45am 16/08/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34128 posts
im in pain!
08:59am 16/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17088 posts
f*** yeah sign me up
12:31pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Jerry
Queensland
4203 posts
(I get your sarcasm, but thinking about this literally) ->
Sweet, so we can take this drug everyday, just before work, and not be addicted. Wooo
that is almost a contradiction.. as you would not insist on doing them everyday, just before work, if you were not addicted - you would save it for a weekend binge.

By the sounds of it, the method would only be useful for someone who has acquired an addiction and really needs to stop. The way I consider herion is before you first take it you feel 50% most of the time on a scale of (s***)0-100%(top of world). You take it the first time and feel 100%, temporarily. You come off it and your new standard feeling is 20%... thus you feel like s*** all the time but if you take it again you can temporarily get back to 100%; but after that you drop to 10%. Take it again to boost to 100%, then drop to 0%. Most of the time you now feel like f*****g s*** and want to die unless you are at 100% - hence an addiction is born.

Implement this cure and you now just feel like 0% for a while and not even herion will help you. After some time, if you don't kill yourself, you may stabilise back to 50%.

It wouldn't be suitable for going 100% to 50% to 100% to 50% for regular use, otherwise you may as well be addicted because 50% would feel like s***?

Consider the following analogy if a similar idea was done with alcohol:

A scientist creates a pill that can stop you from getting drunk from alcohol. You can drink all the spirit you want, but you won't feel the least bit tipsy.

So do you pay a massive amount of money to drink a bottle of spirits before leaving for work each day? or just have a bottle of coke which wouldn't get you drunk in the first place; without the need of the pill to stop you getting drunk.

last edited by Jerry at 23:35:49 17/Aug/12
11:33pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2849 posts
Bet it never gets off the ground.
01:28am 18/08/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7938 posts
A scientist creates a pill that can stop you from getting drunk from alcohol. You can drink all the spirit you want, but you won't feel the least bit tipsy.

Synthahol, Star Trek

Kind if like light beer if you ask me, pointless.
01:34am 18/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:34am 18/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.