AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Latest on Julian Assange
Viper119
UK
1586 posts
Did a few searches but didn't see any recent threads.

Given the latest, with him seeking political asylum from Ecuador, this seems to have thrown the US's carefully constructed rendition plan into chaos. It seems to me the Australian government has been pretty lacklustre in providing any kind of assistance to ensure the dude gets a fair trial and doesn't get black boxed by the US.

What do you guys think about this?

A few quick points:

It seems pretty clear from the information available the rape allegations (not charges, mind you) are without merit.
Its been made clear the US will pursue prosecution.
Sweden has a distinctive extradition treaty with the US that most other countries don't have, so he'd easily be handed over once in Sweden.

I thought this was pretty poor:

After hearing Australian Foreign Minister Carr say on Lateline this week that "I don't know what a sealed indictment is", Christine Assange said:

I re-offer to sit with Foreign Minister Carr to give him a proper briefing about Julian's case because the poor man doesn't even know what a sealed indictment is. Alternatively, I welcome Minister Carr to visit my place of residence for that briefing. A cup of tea will be provided. At the same time I am quite prepared to also brief him about the temporary surrender agreement between Sweden and the US.

Some references:

Good interview with one of his QC's on Sunrise of all places:

Analysis from the ABC’s drum opinion.

Write-up on the history (Including the detail of the rape allegations).

Interview with Rolling Stone that's pretty interesting.

--

tldlr: What do you think about Assange case? Shouldn't the Australian government assist in ensuring fair trial?
12:58am 23/06/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
12:58am 23/06/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18858 posts
well it all depends on whether he really has a case to answer in sweden, or if it's simply trumped up.

i don't what the prosecution has on him but if there is a real case to answer then he should be extradited to sweden.
01:24am 23/06/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8980 posts
link
01:33am 23/06/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4046 posts
even if he does get asylum from Ecuador, how would he get there without going through Britain?
05:24am 23/06/12 Permalink
BlueWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
31 posts
Insom by a diplomatic envoy =)

From building to diplomatic car, to airport to plane, and gone.

Movies try to make it look like they'll intercept stuff, but really it's a moving state.
08:48am 23/06/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7837 posts
When I read the allegations of what happened and accompanying story way back when it first came out it sounded quiet reasonable and believable and that he did have a case to answer under Swedish law as described.
09:52am 23/06/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2703 posts
Insom by a diplomatic envoy =)

From building to diplomatic car, to airport to plane, and gone.

Movies try to make it look like they'll intercept stuff, but really it's a moving state.

I read earlier that they will arrest him anyway, diplomatic car be damned. Which did sound like bullshit.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-22/assange-seeks-guarantees-that-arent-legally-binding/4086934
09:52am 23/06/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7838 posts
They'll send 6 cars with dark windows and the poms won't know which car to pull over. They'll manage to stop them all but he wasn't in any of them. In the mean time he'll go out the sewers with two attractive tall blonde women that don't mind having unprotected sex and pop up two streets away, taking a mini-overpowered vehicle to get to the Stansted airport. They'll be looking for him at Heathrow because no one ever wants to leave from Stansted.
09:55am 23/06/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18859 posts
plausible^
11:30am 23/06/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1145 posts
They'll send 6 cars with dark windows and the poms won't know which car to pull over.
Not that they will be able to catch up to them in their police issue Astra diesel's.

They'll be looking for him at Heathrow because no one ever wants to leave from Stansted.
Maybe they will spot him on a re-run of Airport getting onto a Ryanair flight
03:03pm 23/06/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8985 posts
I still think The CIA knew about Manning and used him to embarass lazy allies of America. There were no Cables that embarassed Israel.

03:31pm 23/06/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1372 posts
When I read the allegations of what happened and accompanying story way back when it first came out it sounded quiet reasonable and believable and that he did have a case to answer under Swedish law as described.

The first lawyers at the prosecutors went through the evidence and declared it a waste of time to prosecute as there wasn't a case. Wikileaks leaks sensitive US memos suddenly head prosecutors re-open the case against Assange and want him back in Sweden to face charges.

Yeah sorry but I know it sounds a little bit Faceman like but sounds fucking suspicious to me.
05:19pm 23/06/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1146 posts
Yeah sorry but I know it sounds a little bit Faceman like but sounds fucking suspicious to me.
CIA Director: "So Mr Swedish Prosecutor, who do we make the cheque for $2 million USD out to?"
05:36pm 23/06/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7840 posts
The sensitive US memos were not released during the one week period between when one prosecutor decided to not press charges and the head prosecutor deciding that they would.

His mum was on News Radio earlier today responding to a story, and that's what she said, one week.

She did say that the first women didn't want to proceed when police started going on about rape charges.
05:49pm 23/06/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1587 posts
Have a read of this: http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/06/20/rundle-assange-makes-his-escape-into-a-diplomatic-storm/

About half way down it goes into detail on the rape allegations.

2) The process by which Assange was accused, cleared, and then re-accused of these incidents beggars belief. Two women went to a Stockholm police station one Friday afternoon in August 2010, to either (and here accounts vary) report Assange for s-xual misconduct, or inquire as to how he could be forced to take an STI test. Only one woman, Sofia Wilen, gave a statement, saying that the morning after a s-xual encounter with Assange, he had initiated s-x while she was asleep, and without a condom; by her own testimony, she said that she then gave consent to continue the act.

3) While her statement was being given, police had already contacted a prosecutor to issue an investigation warrant for arrest. When Wilen was informed of this, she refused to sign her own evidence statement, saying that she had been pushed into making a complaint by people around her. The next day, the senior prosecutor for Stockholm rescinded the warrant, saying that there was nothing in the statement suggesting a crime had occurred.

4) By Monday, that decision had been appealed, with the two women now represented by Claes Borgstrom, a big wig in the Social Democratic party, and drafter of the 2005 s-x crimes laws under which Assange was being accused — laws that many had said were unworkable. The second complainant in the affair, Anna Ardin, now changed her story. She had been interviewed the day after Wilen had told of a rough but consensual s-xual encounter with Assange, but suggested he had torn a condom off during s-x.

Seems pretty suspicious. They still haven't filed actual charges, it's just allegations, yet they've also issued a interpol 'red notice' to get him back to Sweden. Gaddafi, accused of war crimes, earned only an "orange notice".
07:32pm 23/06/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3151 posts
diplomatic immunity does not apply to the cars in this instance. police can stop the cars, search them, and arrest anyone who is not covered by a diplomatic passport, I.E. Assange.
08:26pm 23/06/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18861 posts
sounds bogus to me. immunity attracts to official diplomatic appointments and the embassy is considered sovereign soil. assange has no immunity only the right to claim assylum.
10:37pm 23/06/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8987 posts
apparantly he gets lots of Uni/college/left wing coffee shop girls throwing themselves at him.

10:38am 24/06/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1959 posts
02:45pm 24/06/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1084 posts
What is he ACTUALLY guilty of?

I know he's involved with "Wikileaks" but to what extent? he wasn't the source of said publicated documents was he?
09:19pm 24/06/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9682 posts
To be guilty of something you have to go to court... and to go to court you have to be charged ...
09:31pm 24/06/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3288 posts
Not that they will be able to catch up to them in their police issue Astra diesel's.

They also have Jaguar police cars again.
09:38pm 24/06/12 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1797 posts
he hasn't even been charged with anything in sweden.

his 'case' is sitting before a grand jury in america which will determine if he is going to be sent to america

just a joke all round, for republishing something someone else stole...
where is the rendition for the editors of all the newspaper to republished the republishing?
12:15am 25/06/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13595 posts
Welcome to Ecuador's latest resident.
10:59pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12368 posts
"We must be absolutely clear this means that, should we receive a request for safe passage for Mr Assange, after granting asylum, this would be refused,"
Holy shit... That is crazy stuff from the british officials
11:07pm 16/08/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3952 posts
this is soo.. i don't even know. clearly trumped up charges, Australia completely abandons its own citizen, Britain is about to violate international law by invading Ecuador's embassy (an act that if done to the US or Britain would bring the full force of the military to bare) all because his site PUBLISHED, not hacked anything, PUBLISHED some content that a US solider leaked..

and you people actually believe US/UK/AU governments are any better than anything in the middle east.. pfft..

hey lets go bomb/sanction another country cause they impede on peoples rights..
11:14pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6248 posts
http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/assange-row-deepens-between-uk-and-ecuador-563169.html

The letter said: “You need to be aware that there is a legal base in the UK, the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, that would allow us to take actions in order to arrest Mr Assange in the current premises of the embassy....

Such actions would be a blatant disregard of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and of the rules of international law of the past four centuries.
11:23pm 16/08/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19049 posts
this looks ugly, the UK is potentially taking a dump on longstanding diplomatic protocols. are they sure they want to be doing this?
11:27pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13596 posts
Yeah, totally agree, very ugly.

I think it's a really poor move by Ecuador. Their only position can be that they are doing the 'moral right' but seriously? C'mon. Have a look at Ecuador! It's a country rife with corruption.
11:40pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5140 posts
Sounds like the plot to a future Bond flick - MI6 is poised to rapel into the Ecuadorian embassy and snatch Assange while the South Americans are looking the other way. Car chase to the docks, then Daniel Craig gets told off by Judi Dench after Assange nips away in a sleek submersible.
11:42pm 16/08/12 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2071 posts
are they sure they want to be doing this?

by going public the ecuadorian government are attempting to drum up international support for the sovereignty of their embassy and cement the vienna convention.

and also make the poms look like assholes.
11:43pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1640 posts
It's certainly interesting.

Question now is how does he get to Ecuador!?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/21/julian-assange-escape-routes-ecuador-embassy
11:44pm 16/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13597 posts
@Dazhel: Unrelated, but the story of the capture of Adolf Eichmann is a good one: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/15/adolf-eichmann-exhibition-tel-aviv

The bit that is missing (from my recollection) is how in order to get him on the plane they had groups of Israelis traveling multiple times in advance being rowdy and drunk, one sometimes being supported by the others under the guise of having drunk too much. The did this for a few days and then they dragged Eichmann along on one trip, heavily drugged, as though he was just one of them who'd had too much to drink.

Pretty effective method of smuggling someone onto an aircraft.
11:49pm 16/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9199 posts
How stupid does the British Government look ?
America must have been pushing hard, its obvious they want him but were trying to play it low key in order to get him to Sweden.

If Ecuador didnt know they do now.

Britain arent going to raid an Embassy.
They arent that stupid.
12:05am 17/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9200 posts
Demonstrators trample on a British flag during a protest outside the United Kingdom's embassy in Quito, Ecuador as the row escalates

link

12:20am 17/08/12 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
518 posts
this is soo.. i don't even know. clearly trumped up charges, Australia completely abandons its own citizen, Britain is about to violate international law by invading Ecuador's embassy (an act that if done to the US or Britain would bring the full force of the military to bare) all because his site PUBLISHED, not hacked anything, PUBLISHED some content that a US solider leaked..

and you people actually believe US/UK/AU governments are any better than anything in the middle east.. pfft..

hey lets go bomb/sanction another country cause they impede on peoples rights..

Its not the first time that Australia has abandoned its own citizenry:

http://www.expendable.tv/ - Remember this from 2011 or 2012? Uh ha.

Also the Corby "Affair" is all documentated:
- http://www.expendable.tv/2011/09/transit-report.html - The Transport Report
- http://www.expendable.tv/2011/09/whitewash-report.html - How the AFP is dirty.
- http://www.expendable.tv/2011/10/foi-abuse-report.html - The cover up of Freedom of Information Laws.
- http://www.expendable.tv/p/exhibits.html - Even the dirty cables maybe even possibly thanks to Mr Manning and Mr Assange.

This is only one issue intertwined with the whole thing.

http://www.expendable.tv/2011/11/exhibit-keelty-ellison-media.html - Mick Keelty.

When the shit hit the fan in Iceland they rolled their parliament with a population of 315,000, We've got 22 million. That's more than the Australian Capital territory which has the same population as Iceland: 385,000 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_and_territories_of_Australia

http://www.hermes-press.com/iceland_index.htm - For a cold country, they've got balls of steel.

* Sacked their parliament
* Arrested parliament and the banker dude.
* Rerolled their Constitution, like _ a _ fucking _ boss.
* Now they acknowledge Palestine.

Disarmed, drunked up, messed up, fucked up and in the middle of no where.

Assange publishes information in a timely manner and not just the IRAQ war diaries, there has been other stuff.

Don't even get me started on Roxon:
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2012/04/02/ag-nicola-roxon-refuses-to-answer-media-questions-in-relation-to-new-corrupt-judge-laws/

Or the apathetic nature of the sociopath:
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2012/02/20/bob-brown-and-the-greens-prostitute-their-soul-and-integrity-and-use-wikileaks-and-julian-assange-for-some-free-pr/

I don't know what to make of my own country. I hear things about 'The Australian "Fair Go" '; 'The Aussie Battler" and "Batting for the Underdog" but my fucking god my country. Phwoar. I swear sometimes. What is it going to take? China breathing down our neck? Philippines going "Uh guys China/Malaysia/whoever has taken our land and you're next."
05:05am 17/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1641 posts
Yeah it's pretty poor, to be honest I wouldn't expect anything from the Australian government - when have they ever done anything other then server their own interest?

I am actually pretty surprised the UK is acting this way, they traditionally are much more for the people and fair - seems we're all but pawns of the US now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/16/as-ecuadorean-grants-assange-asylum-former-uk-ambassador-says-embassy-raid-is-coming/
05:24am 17/08/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1416 posts
If they raid the embassy I can see their diplomats in South America being in big shit. Will make for an interesting weekend.
07:41am 17/08/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7885 posts
The guy that wrote the book on Julian, who was scheduled to meet him again around the time he ducked in to the embassy, was on The Drum ast night, saying he thinks that he'll want to come back to Australia, and the implications for our politicians are huge.

He also put to rest rumours that Julian had already been snuck out of the embassy, saying he'd spoken to him and someone he trusted sighted him in the embassy at that time (several weeks ago).
09:20am 17/08/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10030 posts
Yeah alright, I'd be picking Ecuador too

http://www.globaldatingrevolution.com/images/articles/misses/miss-ecuador.jpg

I don't even know anywhere else in the world that HAS an "ass contest", but I'll now remember that this is a thing.

last edited by thermite at 10:06:59 17/Aug/12
10:04am 17/08/12 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1921 posts
11:12am 17/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20828 posts
I know an easy way he can get away. Just send in some make-up guys from the movies and do him up to look like someone else. Then he can casually just walk out of the embassy and go somewhere else. That's what I'd be doing.
11:49am 17/08/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4575 posts
the smart move by UK would be to Let Assange disappear into Ecuador and let Sweden try and pressure them for Assange instead. after all, the British people have no interest in persecuting Assange, they're only asking to capture him because he is in their land, if he wasn't it wouldn't be their problem anymore?

the UK paid by US move? Get Assange at all costs before he gets away to difficult states.
12:46pm 17/08/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7200 posts
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2012/08/17/3569843.htm?site=sydney
Mr Robertson speculated on how Ecquador might give Julian Assange diplomatic immunity, saying that even putting him in a 'diplomatic bag' to take him to the airport probably wouldn't work.

lol ...
02:42pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
376 posts
Parabol, apparently a car counts as a "diplomatic bag" under the right circumstances (but still won't work)
05:36pm 17/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15739 posts
would making him a diplomatic courier work?

A diplomatic courier is an official who transports diplomatic bags as sanctioned under the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. Couriers are granted diplomatic immunity and are thereby protected by the receiving state from arrest and detention when performing their work.

just have him take a bag from the UK to ecuador.
06:05pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13599 posts
You guys are talking about 'legal' escape methods while the UK is talking about walking in and snatching him up under some out of date legislation.
06:49pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1643 posts
It's not out of date legislation, it's actual legislation and in place for a reason - after a British police officer was shot outside of an embassy. Thinking about it the UK's acting to uphold the rule of law, looking at the legalities I think it's Ecuador that are actually circumventing law - you have to admit it's not quite right to seek political asylum in order to escape rape allegations. Regardless of the possible ulterior situation, i.e. America.

Good opinion piece on the why: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19289649

And a nice summary - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18521881

Love the BBC!
07:29pm 17/08/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7934 posts
It's not out of date legislation, it's actual legislation and in place for a reason - after a British police officer was shot outside of an embassy.

Cept I'm almost certain Assange hasn't broken any British law of a capital nature eg, shooting a cop and then hiding in an embassy.

It's a fucking joke and time for common Australia to sack our useless governments, the shit constitution/fedeartion we have and rewrite our laws.
07:51pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13602 posts
Ok, but what's not clear to me is that Assange has not been charged in Sweden. Can you extradite someone who has not been charged? If it's just 'allegations' get him on the phone - you don't need to drag his arse to Sweden.
08:38pm 17/08/12 Permalink
TripleX
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Ok, but what's not clear to me is that Assange has not been charged in Sweden. Can you extradite someone who has not been charged? If it's just 'allegations' get him on the phone - you don't need to drag his arse to Sweden.

lol
08:41pm 17/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5982 posts
It's always allegations until proven in court. You always say "Allegedly raped" until the court proves it's real or not.
08:44pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1644 posts
@Hermitech He's still broken the law though.. should he be treated any differently? No. He's already had two high court appeals in the British courts. (This is the UK's view). Plus it's bad press for the UK, allegedly rape some women or *insert crime* , come to London, then hide out in Syria's embassy and you're sweet bro.
08:51pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3296 posts
Does anyone not think that maybe part of what he has done was irresponsible and maybe not ethical? Do any of you believe that it is ok for everyday people to expose government secrets by illegal means?

Just saying. I have no great opinion on the man one way or another, but I had to draw that point up as I am interested to hear some feedback.
09:11pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13603 posts
There is a difference between unethical and illegal.

I think what he did was unethical but it seems clear to me that the law is very sparse in this area and it is very much in hot debate whether he broke a law. Essentially, the laws in this area need revision.

What is clear is that people like Manning did break the law. Now what happens to the information they have leaked after breaking the law? There doesn't seem to be much of a precedent on that.
09:14pm 17/08/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3954 posts
Does anyone not think that maybe part of what he has done was irresponsible and maybe not ethical? Do any of you believe that it is ok for everyday people to expose government secrets by illegal means?

last i checked, a US soldier leaked the info, Wikkileaks published it. What did he do that's illegal? how is that any different to someone leaking documents to mainstream media and they in turn blast it all over TV..

oh i know.. in this case many governments mainly the US got very embarrassed by it.. nothing that was published involved current military deployments or anything that could really endanger soldiers lives.. AFAIK anyway..
09:35pm 17/08/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
312 posts
It's always allegations until proven in court. You always say "Allegedly raped" until the court proves it's real or not.

I was under the impression that there were no (legal) allegations or charges, but they just want to "question" him about it.

It was originally dropped and the whole thing sounds rather lame.

The "molestation" claim is apparently around a condom that split during sex.

The other is that he "used his body to force her into sex" or something, so no actual proof and she said that it started out consensual.

Also, his lawyer claims that investigators have text messages from the women that undermine the case, but they won't let him have copies.

On top of all that, there's the whole fact that he's been basically judged in the media already, so there isn't likely to be anyone who is impartial.

Sounds like a bunch of BS at best. Just question him inside the embassy or stfu imo.
10:12pm 17/08/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19051 posts
"Illegal" is simply defined by the government of the jurisdiction in which the offence occurred. The question as the extraterritorial (pertaining to conduct outside the country's geographical boundary) nature of an offence is itself highly debatable, especially with the internet nowadays.

Where did Mr Assange allegedly commit the offence of leaking secret documents and does the US have enough evidence to directly connect him to the offence (compare the P2P cases). If he was outside the US at the time he published the documents how can he have committed an offence in the US? They are not alleging a war crime against him and they have not declared him an enemy combatant...

As to his alleged illegal conduct to case, the case itself as I understand it is quite weak. The evidence I heard as summarised wouldn't even make a prima facie case to get pasty a commital. I doubt that the alleged conduct in the rape case is sufficient to trigger the UK legislation permitting entry of an Embassy simply because it is such a significant violation of international law otherwise.

However, that does not give Mr Assange protection outside the Embassy and the UK could arrest him and even if there is not basis by then he is in their custody and liable to extradition even though it is a gross abuse of process. Why he was ever in the UK in the first place is beyond me, he should be living in some lawless country where he can bribe off the officials.
10:20pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13604 posts
So riddle me this - how and why can the UK arrest him? He has not been charged in Sweden. Don't you have to be charged to be arrested?
10:30pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9785 posts
Don't you have to be charged to be arrested?

No.
10:38pm 17/08/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19052 posts
You can be arrested as a matter of any law enforcement, and that may include a request from another country with which you have an extradition treaty. That is why Assange had the High Court action trying to contest that the UK did not have sufficient grounds to use their extradition powers. But he lost those actions then sough asylum.
10:42pm 17/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9203 posts
link
10:58pm 17/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1646 posts
@Pinky

When Sweden issued its European Arrest Warrant, judges in the UK granted Julian Assange bail on strict conditions while the case was being considered.

Julian Assange breached that bail by entering the embassy, making him liable for arrest. The Met is maintaining its position that it will arrest him as soon as it can.

Also relevant:

The UK Foreign Office said it remained committed to reaching a "negotiated solution" but following its obligations under the Extradition Act, it would arrest Mr Assange if he left the embassy.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said there was "no legal basis" to allow Mr Assange safe passage out of the country and warned that the case could go on for a "considerable" time.

In a statement issued after the Ecuadorean decision, Mr Hague said that Britain was under a "binding obligation" to extradite him to Sweden.

"It is important to understand that this is not about Mr Assange's activities at Wikileaks or the attitude of the United States of America. He is wanted in Sweden to answer allegations of serious sexual offences," Mr Hague added.

The UK are actually just upholding their legally binding extradition treaty, he's broken UK laws by not complying. He had two appeals with the British high courts about the extradition and lost - which one might argue other countries wouldn't have allowed at all.
11:12pm 17/08/12 Permalink
RabidWeasel
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
So I guess he will be chilling in the embassy forever..
12:02am 18/08/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
5142 posts
nothing that was published involved current military deployments or anything that could really endanger soldiers lives.. AFAIK anyway..

Wikileaks initially (in 2010) published a very small number of redacted cables in cooperation with major international newspapers including the New York Times, The Guardian and Der Spiegel. That showed a large amount of restraint and I'd consider it much more ethical than just dumping the entire set of documents out there on the internet.
Later in 2011 on some Guardian nitwit fumbled by publishing the encryption passphrase to the entire document cache in a book so Wikileaks went ahead and published everything unredacted because the information was effectively out there anyway.

Information Wants To Be Free and all that...

also, GIS for 'diplomatic bag':

4030774-3x2-700x467.jpg
12:03am 18/08/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19053 posts
Ecuador could simply appoint him an Ambassador for Ecuador. once he is an diplomatic agent of the Government he enjoys all diplomatic immunity - and Ecuador would be all like FU MATE.
12:10am 18/08/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1417 posts
The "molestation" claim is apparently around a condom that split during sex.

I remember reading somewhere that the broken condom that the ladies brought along as "evidence" that he had broken it in her had no traces what so ever of having been used before it was taken to the cops.
01:47am 18/08/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
315 posts
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8518168/cables-show-us-seeks-assange-report

The Australian embassy in Washington is taking seriously the possibility Assange could eventually be extradited to the US on charges including espionage and conspiracy relating to the release of classified information by WikiLeaks, Fairfax newspapers report.

Well that doesn't sound good...

Wonder if our government will change their mind, or keep on not caring about it all.
10:02am 18/08/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1214 posts
Well that doesn't sound good...Wonder if our government will change their mind, or keep on not caring about it all.

Neither side would they are in the pockets of the US. How else did Howard get that one sided AAFTA, by making politics out of tragedy.
10:24am 18/08/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1652 posts
Thought this was interesting view on the Swedish judicial system Wikileaks has been lambasting:

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/justice-for-sweden
05:24pm 21/08/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3100 posts
to me, if sweden really honestly wanted to pursue the charge, and that was all they were honestly after they would put some protection against julian been sent to the US (which to me seems to be the whole issue)
05:49pm 21/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9225 posts
link
05:56pm 21/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15759 posts

to me, if sweden really honestly wanted to pursue the charge, and that was all they were honestly after they would put some protection against julian been sent to the US (which to me seems to be the whole issue)

cept that goes against their constitution or something apparently.
06:03pm 21/08/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3101 posts
I know, but that seems to be the only sticking point

I know that the charge is rape, (as defined by Sweden's justice system, maybe not we might think of rape) as far as I know the sex was consensual but then it becomes grey

""Sweden’s definition of legal rape includes the idea of ’unlawful coercion’, which involves exerting emotional pressure on someone to have sex. In other words, talking someone into bed. A man in Assange’s position of wealth and power would be particularly vulnerable to this form of ’rape’, which carries a possible four-year sentence, because it could be argued that his status allowed him to exert an inordinate level of influence.""

(copy'd from here http://justice4assange.com/Sexual-Offences.html
guessing the bulk is bias)
06:13pm 21/08/12 Permalink
do0b
Brisbane, Queensland
4406 posts
07:25pm 21/08/12 Permalink
kos
Germany
2146 posts
Ecuador could simply appoint him an Ambassador for Ecuador. once he is an diplomatic agent of the Government he enjoys all diplomatic immunity - and Ecuador would be all like FU MATE.

I read in an article somewhere that the UK still has to approve any diplomatic appointments before they legally become diplomats in the country, and that obviously they would not in this case.
07:33pm 21/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9226 posts
The other South American Countries are getting in behind the Eccys.
Its become bigger than Assange now.

Britain already has some problems in South America a couple of Countries wont allow British ships in because of the Falklands controversy, South American Countries are supporting Argentinas claims.

07:50pm 21/08/12 Permalink
adBot
ads
Internet
--
ads keep websites free
07:50pm 21/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks