Bethesda tells us why ANZ will be first to Battlecry's beta!
Battlecry Beta First in ANZ!
We check out the fast-paced third-person Xbox One exclusive Sunset Overdrive to see just what it has in store.
Sunset Overdrive Reviewed
We take a look at Firaxis' sci-fi take on the Civ universe
Civilization: Beyond Earth Reviewed
We sit down with Blizzard's Ion Hazzikostas to talk all things World of Warcraft, including upcoming expansion Warlords of Draenor.
Talking Draenor with Ion Hazzikostas
SpaceX demo mission to International Space Station launch tomorrow
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13202 posts
http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/cargo/spacex_update_staticfiring.html

Space Exploration Technologies, or SpaceX, of Hawthorne, Calif., on Friday targeted May 19 for the launch of its upcoming demonstration mission to the International Space Station. Liftoff time is at 4:55 a.m. EDT, with a launch window that is instantaneous.
The SpaceX mission will be a landmark for the privately run company that used the same rocket/spacecraft combination in December 2010, to become the first private organization to launch and recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit.

Big step!

Hanging for the Curiosity mission to land on Mars in August.
01:14am 19/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:14am 19/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5958 posts
I think that it's happened? I have an unwelcome and hopefully unjustified expectation of explosions and disappointment. :/
07:30am 19/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36202 posts
Oh wow. I didn't realise they were this close. Such an awesome achievement. Elon Musk is a f*****g hero!

edit: so launch scheduled for 6:55pm AEST, yeh? Hopefully I can get on the stream then.
08:19am 19/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5962 posts
Oops, I was way off - the launch is now: http://www.spacex.com/webcast/
06:47pm 19/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20677 posts
Launch aborted.
06:57pm 19/05/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1087 posts
Can someone explain to me why the space shuttle program has been discontinued?

I haven't done any research but is there something better (and probably secret) to replace the program or are they just giving up on space?
12:12am 20/05/12 Permalink
BlueWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
18 posts
JakeG America poor.... that's the short version.

They were working on a new model and that old shuttles were meant to last until then... but then the budget cuts began and things got slow... So they decided they would retire the old ones early and just wait for the new ones. However, more budget cuts! So now there is doubt they will even get their new rockets finished.

At the moment they either send things up via the Russians (hehe, they must hate that) or are going to rely on the private sector (hence why spacex is so important).

There are a few other countries that can launch various rockets into space and the private sector generally use them to get their s*** into orbit.

I kept it simple, if you'd like I could link all the sources for the information and make a short timeline of events for the last few years. But if that was enough info then so be it =)
12:39am 20/05/12 Permalink
Shaexen
Brisbane, Queensland
430 posts
Can someone explain to me why the space shuttle program has been discontinued?

Because the entire public space program that we see is just a charade by the government who have advanced alien technology kept in secret bases on the dark side of the moon.
12:03pm 20/05/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15355 posts
http://i.imgur.com/t0WyY.png
03:45pm 20/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20689 posts
It's more the American bloodlust for killing and torturing brown people that keeps money from NASA then.
03:51pm 20/05/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1088 posts
Ta for answing that question guys.. however, that is pretty depressing.

Lately I have been thinking if war broke out and I was asked to fight, i'd refuse.

I hope it is in my lifetime that the true nature of things (democracy) gets exposed.
04:59pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2276 posts
why look for habitual land in out of space when there if perfectly good habitual land on earth. so lets just take that land.
05:15pm 20/05/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3118 posts
Exploration, adventure and seeking answers is pretty ingrained in our nature Timmeh.
05:23pm 20/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20690 posts
Also habitable.
05:24pm 20/05/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6722 posts
no, he's talking about designated smoking areas.
05:31pm 20/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36203 posts
why look for habitual land in out of space when there if perfectly good habitual land on earth. so lets just take that land.
unfortunately a lot of that land already has people living on it and for some reason they don't like other people just turning up to take it
05:44pm 20/05/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6831 posts
some cool pics here of the iss crew going up in the russian rocket last week.
05:54pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5963 posts
There's also a lot of sweet stuff in space. A lot. This whole planet is just one tiny infinitesimal speck of the materials of this planetary system. Then there's like a jillion others.

http://www.rayfowler.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/size_of_earth_3.jpg
05:57pm 20/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20691 posts
http://htwins.net/scale2/

That has been posted recently but it is probably The Best Thing On The Internet.
06:02pm 20/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36204 posts
^^^ wow. Total Perspective Vortex. Those things are awesome.
06:11pm 20/05/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2565 posts

http://i.imgur.com/t0WyY.png

A penny for Nasa.
06:53pm 20/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20692 posts
trog: remember to click things to find out info about them.
07:15pm 20/05/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36206 posts
massively disappointed that when you click on Earth, it doesn't say "Mostly Harmless"
07:33pm 20/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5560 posts

We have a range of materials on earth which are known. We use many of them. Even the unlimited ones are finite in quantity and their applications.

The universe has potentially many new things that could be better, or just change the way we do things from purely a meterial standpoint. Metals are common right now but what other materials might exist that could completely replace them?

These are things of why we should explore space, and know if it's worth moving away from this home planet.

Plus lets say you're right: wouldn't it be better if the science is behind you and we say "There's no chance of moving off this planet ever because the closest planet which could sustain us doesn't exist" then i think we could make a judement based on information rather than one based on well it costs too much to move off. It only costs too much if it doesn't give some kind of net reward. But you can't know that until you explore what else is out there.
12:20am 21/05/12 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1511 posts
http://htwins.net/scale2/

Zoom all the way out then start zooming in, looks like the start of The Big Bang Theory.
12:33pm 21/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5973 posts
06:36pm 22/05/12 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
902 posts
Woo! Good to see some progress in the Space sector.

last edited by Mantis at 08:37:52 23/May/12
08:35am 23/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:35am 23/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.