Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Obama announces support for same sex marriage
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9070 posts
In what supporters have hailed as a historic moment in civil rights history, Mr Obama reversed his position on the controversial social issue just six months before the November election

"I've just concluded, for me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," Mr Obama said in an interview with ABC News America.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-10/obama-backs-same-sex-marriage/4001992
12:09pm 10/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:09pm 10/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9071 posts
In Australia, there is legislation before Federal Parliament to allow same-sex marriage, but Julia Gillard says her opposition to it will not change despite Mr Obama's remarks.
12:10pm 10/05/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6819 posts
gay marriage == political prestidigitation
12:13pm 10/05/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5908 posts
why do gays want to get married anyway?
12:18pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20441 posts
Why does anyone get married? You don't need to. Nothing wrong with just being with someone.
12:21pm 10/05/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18718 posts
he needs to do something to distract from his disastrous financial policy.

the US punters see right through it though.
12:21pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12888 posts
cos they so smaert
12:22pm 10/05/12 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
14386 posts
why does anyone want anything?

you dont NEED it

what a waste of time
12:26pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4022 posts
sounds gay

he will have little practical ability to change marriage laws but that won't stop people voting for/against him over this issue
01:16pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4517 posts
"I've just concluded, for me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," Mr Obama said in an interview with ABC News America.
now if only the support of the president meant something when it came to civil rights and law changes.
01:16pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6536 posts
Why does anyone get married? You don't need to. Nothing wrong with just being with someone.

I think it's more to do with marital rights then "oh look honey, we are married now yay!" Don't you get taxed as one when married or something to that extent?
01:18pm 10/05/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8501 posts
Maybe he just found out his daughter(s) is(are) gay?
01:29pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5840 posts
In America you get taxed more if you're not married. Here you can tick the 'Defacto' box, over there you can't.
Hospital visitation and their private (work paid) 'Partner' health care is another big reason why they want same sex marriage recognised.
01:32pm 10/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9606 posts
01:33pm 10/05/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12926 posts
the only thing he found out recently that changed his mind is public opinion has swung in favor of gay marriage
he, like all politicians, will never really say what he thinks/feels/means to say, he will say whatever will guarantee him the best chances in his next election

good on him though, even if he's just pandering, it needed to be done
next target: marijuana
01:49pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5841 posts
I always thought it weird people hating on a Polly that changes with the public. Isn't that their job?
It's when the Polly changes against the public opinion, after being voted in with that key specific issue in play, that I find it annoyng.
01:56pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1999 posts
great news for qgl
02:24pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2759 posts
It's good that it's happened, and I hope that he honestly has changed his views based on his experiences etc and not for political gain or party pressure.

Either way though it's a positive move for sure, only if Julia wasn't so backwards!
02:29pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4785 posts
Maybe he just found out his daughter(s) is(are) gay?

Possibly, but on the surface Joe Biden (VP) seems to have forced the issue by announcing that he's for gay marriage, and he came to this view while watching reruns of Will and Grace.

02:30pm 10/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9072 posts
Either way though it's a positive move for sure, only if Julia wasn't so backwards!

Well Julia isn't married so obviously she doesn't believe in marriage :]
02:35pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6537 posts
That's a really good discussion Dazhel, thanks for that. I agree with his opinions that the root of all marriages is that you love and care for each other, so why can't lesbians, gays or heterosexuals enjoy that positive nature?
02:38pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
2000 posts
02:45pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4518 posts
Only if Julia wasn't so backwards!
i really don't think you've followed the issue in Australia AT ALL have you?

About the only good thing she did do was equalize marriage and non marriage partnerships. she didn't allow gay marriage, but she did make the marriage label worthless.
03:58pm 10/05/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
680 posts
Part of me think that it should be kept traditional....the other part of me thinks that marriage is f***ed these days so who cares if 2 dudes want to get hitched. It does not affect me personally so why not.
04:00pm 10/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9073 posts
Yeah I feel exactly the same way. I was talking to my mother about it and she is also the same.

I think that if you are against it these days you are either bigoted or using religion to support bigoted views.
04:24pm 10/05/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3071 posts
Reverend Roger Munson, from the Uniting Church in Canberra, said the Australian Christian Lobby's opposition to gay marriage did not represent the stance of all Christians.

"Jesus preached the message of inclusion not exclusion," he said.

Sydney Baptist pastor Mike Herc*** said he was part of a congregation that had shifted on the issue.

"We're particularly concerned by the dehumanising arguments of the Australian Christian Lobby," he said.

"There's constant fear-mongering among some Christian conservatives and they're trying to degrade what is essentially a desire for monogamy, fidelity and the family unit."

Reverend Gary Bouma, from the Anglican Church in Melbourne, said the Marriage Act was discriminatory.

"It's dehumanising to tell someone their love isn't right," he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/obama-voices-support-for-gay-marriage/story-e6freoox-1226351565380
04:28pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1323 posts
Part of me think that it should be kept traditional....

What do you mean traditional though? Like in the Bible where you could force two of your slaves to get married? or where you could rape a woman, pay her father fifty shekels and she would have to marry you for life.

To me they should change the law to make it so the government only recognises the term "civil union" and everyone that is now married is changed over to a civil union but can still call themselves married if they wish it just won't mean a damn thing.
04:58pm 10/05/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3040 posts

It's all about the legalities of having a formally recognised union.
things like death, illness, taxes, inheritance, etc.

EG. if 1 gay is in a serious accident, his/her partner has no recognised legal rights to do anything like, authorise meds/surgery, turn off life support, donate organs, and if the parent of that injured one is really anti gay then they can also stop them even visiting their partner in hospital.

no real logical reason i can see why govt's just don't let it happen. it's really only the militant christians and other god botherers that are so anti this. who really gives a f***. it doesn't impact me just let them do it.
05:25pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13185 posts
Seems to be a lot of unknowns and misinformation ITT.

EG. if 1 gay is in a serious accident, his/her partner has no recognised legal rights to do anything like, authorise meds/surgery, turn off life support, donate organs, and if the parent of that injured one is really anti gay then they can also stop them even visiting their partner in hospital.

Not really true. You can sign a Power of Attorney just like anyone else which gives you these rights.

taxes

pls explain? I can't see anything that might be a reason to be married for tax purposes in Australia.

inheritance

You can write a will like anyone else as well. Just don't die intestate. Pretty easy.

So far I see no good reasons.

I would like to see marriage removed altogether, but that will never happen.
05:39pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4787 posts

Depending on who you talk to?

a) So they can corrupt civilisation and bring forth fire and brimstone onto their urban localities from the heavens.
-or-
b) Because heterosexual couples have enjoyed the social recognition that being in a marriage brings for many centuries.
05:45pm 10/05/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7410 posts
What pinky said.
05:51pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5842 posts
Except he's talking only about how it would effect Australians, in a thread about US Policy.
05:55pm 10/05/12 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
6622 posts
because they should be afforded the same rights as anyone else. doesn't matter what you get out of it.
05:56pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2760 posts
I want gay marriage to be legal because I want to have the same rights as heterosexual people. I don't want to feel like a second class citizen because of my sexuality.

I find this is to discriminatory and I feel that people who don't want it to happen - people who typically DO have the right to get married should have to justify why I shouldn't more than I should argue to have it!

last edited by Zapo at 18:00:05 10/May/12
05:59pm 10/05/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3072 posts
Mhmm, my point before the quote above disappeared, was just agreeing with dais, using religion to support bigoted ideas.
06:06pm 10/05/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3041 posts
Not really true. You can sign a Power of Attorney just like anyone else which gives you these rights.

yes. along with an advanced health directive. all still challengable by relatives. being a legal spouse by law gives you much more say in these matters if challenged.

pls explain? I can't see anything that might be a reason to be married for tax purposes in Australia

Dependent spouse tax offset. don't forget they can have kids also so there's all that stuff.

You can write a will like anyone else as well. Just don't die intestate. Pretty easy.

see point one

i admit i was generalising but was just trying to convey that being married, under our govt laws holds a lot of sway. not saying this is right but to deny gay people this right seems ridiculous when it really doesn't affect anyone.

oh and what zapo said....nice post

last edited by crazymorton at 18:25:03 10/May/12
06:21pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5926 posts

You could ask what's wrong with this too, 'the coloureds' clearly have equal water after all -

http://i.imgur.com/z5qy7.jpg

Though I don't have any interest in getting married, telling people that they are lesser based on some minority trait alone is a disgusting uncivilized thing. We may as well tell people like me with green eyes that we can't get married, since we're much less prevalent, but there's no institutionalised hate against us.

The definition of marriage has been massively rewritten so many times just in the last century, let alone the last few thousand years, allowing divorce, interracial marriage, etc. The only reason to be against inclusionism is hatred or political pandering.

http://i.imgur.com/AWK7j.jpg
08:04pm 10/05/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8818 posts
Nice one Obama.
Human Rights belong to all not just some.

08:33pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9642 posts
gay marriage == political prestidigitation

Really demon ?

Gay marriage is a political magic trick ?

I don't care what you do in your bed at night, or the gay dudes beside us, or my lesbian sister in laws (lies ... lesbian 3 way!)

he needs to do something to distract from his disastrous financial policy.

Yeah but infi you'd be behind the tea party, and their s*** is funny.
09:54pm 10/05/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8854 posts

Well homosexual people just deserve the same rights as heterosexual people. I'm sure you guys all have gay friends or family members. Why would you want to deny them equal rights?
09:59pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4794 posts
Why would you want to deny them equal rights?

Heh, the stupidity argument goes that gay men have just as much right to marry a woman as straight men do.
10:11pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9645 posts
Heh, the stupidity argument goes that gay men have just as much right to marry a woman as straight men do.

Yes, But a woman does not have that right... (yes I read the differently worded link.
10:17pm 10/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5927 posts
Unfortunately not the willing partner of the type which they are attracted to, however. >_<

Remember when we were choosing to be straight, we were so clvr!
10:19pm 10/05/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18720 posts
i personally don't care about gay marriage. They can do whatever they want. I just find it funny that the left think we should be free to have gay marriage but then in the same breath steals money from us for wealth redistribution. a token freedom like gay marriage is easy, but economic freedom, the left hate that.
12:44am 11/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5928 posts
Well all clubs need to be financed, what if you get more freedom by paying for schools, getting doctors, engineers, scientists, all working to improve your freedom from disease, from dangerous structures, from asteroids, etc.

Would you agree though infi that it really depends on how people arrive at that wealth, for how much you care? e.g. It would after all be domination in the old feudal sense if you were born living under a prince, only have the option of working for the prince and paying the prince rent since the prince owns all the land, yet all that the prince did was be born to a throne. There is your concern over earned wealth being stripped, presuming that we all earn our place in life in a sort of karmic way, but then there are also (in my eyes, justified) concerns about oppression and exploitation by non-earned wealth, look out how wealth has divided so spectacularly in recent years, and presumably at how the super rich have been strangled by society... Or is there actually an element of that in reverse? Remember that the religious cry oppression too, when they are simply losing their theocracy which oppresses others.
01:48am 11/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5845 posts
I think infi was talking more about rebates (especially like those in relation to the Carbon Tax) rather than funding for Schools, Health etc.

But you misunderstood him, again, and went off on one of your little tangential rants.
07:22am 11/05/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2761 posts
I think gay marriage and the distribution of wealth are probably very different :)

I also think you'll find there are many people who agree in gay marriage but are very strong supporters of hardcore capitalism, or 'economic freedom' as you put it.
08:32am 11/05/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5930 posts
I also think you'll find there are many people who agree in gay marriage but are very strong supporters of hardcore capitalism, or 'economic freedom' as you put it.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to point out, this can be a right position (if you are for liberty), and so can other takes on wealth.

Scooter... uh, my response includes concerns like that. But you go from "I think infi was talking about" followed by "you misunderstood him again", speculation to fact... Anyway, the main tell is that you never have a go at infi for his initial OT rant - right wingers rushing to poorly masked idealism defence with inconsistently applied rage. ;)
08:43am 11/05/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6821 posts
yup really obes.
obviously i meant political sleigh of hand... which is what it is.
it is a social issue that will distract people's attention & allow politicians to gain/lose favour with various groups but what does it have to do with the running of the country? nothing.
09:44am 11/05/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1122 posts
Gay marriage. Whats next? People marrying the GOATS?!?!??!
01:40pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
523 posts
Does this mean Casa is moving to the states to marry his long time boyfriend Boba ?
01:44pm 11/05/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3074 posts
What happens if a male couple is marrried overseas and then moves here?
01:55pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3256 posts
Here's the thing. The idea of two men kissing in public and rubbing bums kind of grosses me out. Luckily gay men don't tromp around the streets kissing each other and touching bums. Lesbians however, I thoroughly endorse public displays of affection, provided they fit a certain physical criteria. How come I only ever see Ugly lesbians :<....

So they can get married and adopt kids and do whatever the f*** they want, it has nothing to do with me. Who are we to deny them the right. As long as they are held to the same laws and principles as hetrosexual couples when adopting children. If they are fit to be parents they can be, just like anyone else.
02:06pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
8816 posts
Why is there even an issue about this? put it to vote and gays will b able to marry, instead of letting some red haired logan slut make the decision for the country. All these c**** in charge are so old school and dont know wtf is going on these days.

I would rather just let gays marry than hear people whinging about it day after day, week after week on the news... How does it impact anyone else but the 2 individuals getting married?
02:08pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
709 posts

I think it's more likely a pre-emptive strike due to the fact that he has been moonlighting as a massuese* and John Travolta is about to start naming names, Heidi Fleuse* styles.

Also, agreed with infi.

*sp?

**Edit - this Opera Mini browser is giving out about as much grief as Ike Turner. :/

last edited by Jc_23 at 14:30:34 11/May/12
02:24pm 11/05/12 Permalink
AndrewB
5 posts
I can't stand homosexuals and their sympathizers trying to normalize their choice.

Quite frankly, I think there should be a law against it
06:13pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3258 posts
AndrewB, please further explain your position.
06:15pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2762 posts
I can't stand homosexuals and their sympathizers trying to normalize their choice.

'sympathizers'??? Seriously?

Also, I think you'll find that it's pretty well accepted these days that it's not a choice, in the same way that being that being heterosexual isn't a choice.

Being a bigot is a choice mind you.
09:30pm 11/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4802 posts

There was a law against it, right up until around 1990 when our fair state came to the enlightened conclusion that ultimately it wasn't that much of a big deal if two dudes as consensual adults wanted to do things to each others bums.
11:25pm 11/05/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8827 posts
First polling after Obamas Gay views:
(little bit at the end)

http://blogs.news.com.au/images/uploads/romney_vs_obama_may_11_2012_thumb.jpg

last edited by FaceMan at 11:08:40 12/May/12
11:07am 12/05/12 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
8827 posts
^ that is pathetic

11:10am 12/05/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13194 posts
the only thing he found out recently that changed his mind is public opinion has swung in favor of gay marriage
he, like all politicians, will never really say what he thinks/feels/means to say, he will say whatever will guarantee him the best chances in his next election

In other words, represent your constituency? I.e., Democracy.

AndrewB is a troll or a f***head. I hope the former.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9039/42781210151703573445327.jpg
01:35pm 12/05/12 Permalink
gamer
2487 posts
Haha! Great pic Pinky
01:42pm 12/05/12 Permalink
Insom
Canada
4024 posts
Maybe he is Gay too ?
02:04pm 12/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4807 posts
Pinky you left out the most important reason:
11. Gay married penises are fissile.
08:54pm 12/05/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8835 posts
gets even funnier towards the end

04:05pm 13/05/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2258 posts
i don't give a f*** what gays do.

I just dont like it hwne they use it a as an excuse.

I remember I had a run in with a fellow worker back when i worked at woolies.
We didnt get along but it had nothing to do with him being gay. at this time i didn't even know.
So he has gone and spread the word that im some f** hating dragon. when the fact is i didnt even know, nor cared that he was gay, he was just a f***head.
04:28pm 13/05/12 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2764 posts
Faceman, is she trolling!?? Wow wow wow..all I can say.
04:36pm 13/05/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2634 posts
haha that video... wow
05:07pm 13/05/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
715 posts
I heard a rumour that Obama was breastfed until 8 and now look what's going on - it's resulted in the evolution of a smoking, health freak, humorous and jovial, minority accepting youthful president?! What would happen if we really amped it up and stretched the age to 14 - now that's something to draw shoppers' attention if I ever saw it. :) Also, nice draw on the hidden ace of spades from an oppression empathiser.
05:47pm 13/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4810 posts
gets even funnier towards the end

It's clear she has some form of mental illness, or engaging in some Joanquin Phoenix inspired performance art.
In either case it's mostly sad rather than funny.
07:48pm 13/05/12 Permalink
mrdamn
Brisbane, Queensland
17 posts

Added to youtube 26 Jun 2011.

The OP's ABC report is a bit ignorant.

last edited by mrdamn at 20:27:25 13/May/12
08:25pm 13/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9119 posts
02:50pm 16/05/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
9120 posts
04:34pm 16/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20662 posts
Gay people have made a lifestyle choice and they should have to live with their decisions. Same goes for black people and the mentally ill.
04:37pm 16/05/12 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1647 posts
that has to be the most bald-faced troll i have seen in quite a while
04:38pm 16/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20663 posts
^ we got a black people sympathizer here folks.

On a serious note, some people actually believe what I just said. Some people actually think people choose to be gay.
04:40pm 16/05/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5859 posts
{It was sarcasm, not a troll}
04:40pm 16/05/12 Permalink
AndrewB
14 posts
Gay people have made a lifestyle choice and they should have to live with their decisions. Same goes for black people and the mentally ill.

They are choosing to be gay, however that choice is aided by a mental illness.

It's the same with transgender people. Transgender Is the new big social thing we should all be accepting of and apparently it's "normal"

If I said I was batman, I would be deemed insane but if I say I am a girl I am completely sane

The mental illness is aided by sympathizers and enablers.
05:32pm 16/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20664 posts
Yeah sure thing Door.
05:57pm 16/05/12 Permalink
AndrewB
15 posts
Oh I"m "Door" now? I thought mrdamn was?
06:52pm 16/05/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20665 posts
07:25pm 16/05/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6477 posts
If I said I was batman, I would be deemed insane but if I say I am a girl I am completely sane
Because you can prove it with science. An MRI scan can show that the person's brain looks like a female brain, not like a male brain. Good luck proving you have Batman's brain.
07:51pm 16/05/12 Permalink
AndrewB
16 posts
Source?
08:02pm 16/05/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3110 posts
http://brainmuseum.org/specimens/chiroptera/lesshorseshoebat/brain/Lesshorseshoebat617956clr.jpg

A bats brain looks a bit like a testicle, I hope your brain doesn't look like that.
08:18pm 16/05/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7420 posts
Same sex attraction disorder

Spoiler:
{this is a troll}
07:09am 17/05/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
747 posts
It'd be easy to prove you were Batman - you'd be in Robin's room bleary eyed every morning! Badaboom.
07:11pm 17/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:11pm 17/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.