Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Web Sleuths, a forum of e-detectives
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9507 posts
Just reading about this Baden-Clay woman that went missing in Brookfield a couple weeks ago and was found today in the Mt Crosby Weir.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169529&page=14

alicat

Originally Posted by alicat
I'm out this way and I kept getting eerie feelings around Kholo Creek overpass. I know it probably sounds silly, but its the 'what if.'

I wrote this a few days ago and look, she's there... I wish I called the police.

This is freaking me out a little.

These people all solve the mysteries!

Well, he's cactus now. There goes the accident while walking possibility he could have used if she was closer to the house.

Awesome!

There's all kinds of stuff to solve on that forum, not just crimes.
01:59pm 30/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:59pm 30/04/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12894 posts
02:04pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2662 posts
it hasn't been a couple of weeks, it has been like ten days,
02:13pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5847 posts
Whereas if you do that in a church teq, it's considered respectable and to be taken seriously. ^_^

02:16pm 30/04/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15050 posts
i thought it was pretty suss that the cops created a task force the same day he reported her missing. also who the hell goes for a walk after 10pm?
02:23pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9508 posts
it hasn't been a couple of weeks, it has been like ten days,

It was 11 days, and that was not last week, but the week before.... hence a couple weeks ago, ffs...
02:27pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6449 posts
i thought it was pretty suss that the cops created a task force the same day he reported her missing. also who the hell goes for a walk after 10pm?

And the fact that he didn't report it until 7.30 or something the next day.
02:27pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2664 posts
It was 11 days, and that was not last week, but the week before.... hence a couple weeks ago, ffs...

couple = 2 or 3

7 days in one week,

it has been aprox one whole week, and at best one half week (she has been "missing" 11days, the search going 10),

/troll
02:31pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1939 posts
My lightning bolts are having no effect on this thread
02:34pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2665 posts

because the cops are aware of alot more than is released into the media (in an effect not to alarm people, or influence any possible future jury)

so if you put together the reports of screams, (muffled and otherwise) with other information that has been released (and not released) it would be easy to assemble people to search pretty quick

also, the cops are very good at getting task forces (without the media who ha) to look for people in a very short amount of time if there is a suspicion that harm may come to the person missing (ie if they are ill, (metal or otherwise) or if there is a possibility they might try and harm themselves. I've been called out a few times when a person has gone missing, walkabout or other reasons, the report has come in at 10pm, and there are feet on the ground looking at 11pm,
02:38pm 30/04/12 Permalink
sLiNky
Brisbane, Queensland
1383 posts
linkyWas it confirmed that it was her? Because QPS posted this not very long ago

Update into the search for Allison Baden Clay

April 30, 2012, 1:52 pm

The body of a woman was located in a creek at Anstead this morning.

A canoeist reported the discovery to police about 11am.

The body is yet to be formally identified.

No further updates are available at this time.
/

last edited by sLiNky at 14:48:05 30/Apr/12
02:47pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2666 posts
not confirmed, and most likely not till later (or tomorrow)

body in the water for 7 or more days is not pretty
02:51pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9509 posts
Sounds like you are on top of all this copuis, are you sure your efforts wouldn't be better put to posting on web sleuths?

More info from locals - When she was reported missing, her car was not at home but was found on the Brookfield showground - about 2 minutes walk away. I know whom the mistress is but better keep the name to myself - lets just call her ReMax. Affair been going on for a couple of years, A found out last year. A & G were sleeping in seperate rooms. G has fresh scratch on face. She was engaged to a lovely man some years ago but parents did not approve as he was not a graduate - he has since gone on to have a successful diving career. I emailed crimestoppers on Saturday suggesting they check our the Karana Downs Scout Camp which is just behind Kholo Creek Crossing where she has been found by a canoist. Did not realise the family had lived in Karana Downs previously.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169529&page=16

Bad news for him. He didn't even have enough compassion or remorse to save police, the canoeist, her own family and her poor children from this awful outcome. Will not go down well at sentencing.

The best sleuthing is done through feelings I reckon:

as soon as i saw their photo, I had a feeling that they were sleeping in separate rooms
02:57pm 30/04/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7742 posts
couple = 2 or 3

Couple = 2.
02:58pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12364 posts
Couple:
4. Informal A few; several: a couple of days.
03:04pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1940 posts
couple = 2
few = 3
several = 4
03:08pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12365 posts
"Had a couple of drinks last night" means exactly 2 beers?

"Saw Bob a couple of days ago" means 48 hours or less?
03:12pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2667 posts
i know a couple is 2, however when referring to "a couple of weeks" i've understood it to be a loose 2-3 weeks,

much like "can i borrow a couple of bucks for dinner" doesn't mean $2, but is more likely to mean $5 - $10
03:14pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2668 posts
anyway, back on to the poor yet to be identified woman

the search has turned into a full forensic, so there is more information to come out later,
03:16pm 30/04/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2569 posts
If you asked me if you could borrow a couple of bucks I'd tell you to f*** off, so I guess a couple can mean a lot of different things.
body in the water for 7 or more days is not pretty
Because the make-up has washed off right?
03:22pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9510 posts
I was in the bath for like half an hour last night and the skin between my toes is peeling and stinging me
03:27pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2669 posts
well bath more often, (really, after only half and hour, i;ve never had that happen, only extreme pruning after 4 hours)
03:30pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9511 posts
So you can withstand a couple hours?
03:36pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2670 posts
good book, and a supply of scotch, I would be happy in a bath all day!, very relaxing, just a top up with warm water everynow and then
03:37pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9512 posts
"Besides Mr Baden-Clay, investigators have interviewed "numerous" family and friends, including extensive questioning of a woman who had worked under Mr Baden-Clay at his Century 21 franchise."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/police-may-have-found-the-body-of-missing-brisbane-mother-allison-baden-clay/story-e6frg6nf-1226342663519
That's this person: http://www.remax.com.au/staffprofile.asp?userid=1543
people are refering to the mistress as "remax" on that sleuth forum

Oh dear.
03:44pm 30/04/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10197 posts
also who the hell goes for a walk after 10pm?
i know a lot more about this case that i'm going to let on, but apparently she had an argument with her husband.
03:46pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7383 posts
much like "can i borrow a couple of bucks for dinner" doesn't mean $2, but is more likely to mean $5 - $10

na this just means you cant speak english
04:04pm 30/04/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12896 posts
i know a lot more about this case that i'm going to let on, but apparently she had an argument with her husband.

false. you let on the fact that you know more than you actually said.

also, it was in the papers that she had an argument with her husband
more breaking news at 11
04:11pm 30/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5449 posts
couple = 2 or 3

A couple is 2.

If i brought home a second girlfriend and said "we're all a couple" i might get in trouble.

A couple is two.

A plug is a coupling, you couple two things together to pass electricity from one to the other.

A couple is TWO.

WIKI
Couple (About this sound pronunciation (help·info)) may refer to:

Two items of a type.
Two members of an intimate relationship
Couple (mechanics), a system of forces with a resultant moment but no resultant force
Thermocouple, a type of temperature sensor

A couple is really the description of the link between two things.

If something is coupled it's joined.
04:17pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2672 posts
so, 11 days is not a couple then!

also, couple as a noun also means a small number (and three is a small number)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/couple

and therefor my use was still correct, so one could say there are a couple of mistaken people on here, and it wouldn't mean that there is a final number of 2, but that there is a small number

it is all relative to it's use
04:25pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9514 posts
It wasn't this week. It wasn't last week. It was the week before that. A couple weeks ago.

Once you start talking about the number of days, you've introduced a level of precision that was never intended. A week is not meant as a precise period of seven days, it is week as in "the week of the 29th of April" (which would be this week).

last edited by thermite at 16:42:45 30/Apr/12
04:38pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2673 posts
being a monday, saying it was a couple of weeks implies there has been a longer passage of time than has happened, that was my point, it would be like saying I had a pork roast last week, even tho it just yesterday
04:48pm 30/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5450 posts
Oxford is better than merriam-webster and it says 2
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/couple
noun
  1. 1two people or things of the same sort considered together:

2. a couple of girls were playing marbles
    a pair of partners in a dance or game.
    (plural couple) a pair of hunting dogs.
    (couples) two collars joined together and used for holding hounds together.
    a pair of rafters.
    Mechanics a pair of equal and parallel forces acting in opposite directions, and tending to cause rotation about an axis perpendicular to the plane containing them.
  3. 2 [treated as singular or plural] two people who are married or otherwise closely associated romantically or sexually:

4. in three weeks the couple fell in love and became engaged
    a honeymoon couple

Informally it's considered "a few" but we already have a word for that. It's called FEW.
04:50pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9515 posts
It's correct though. In the first week of january I say "last year" all the time to refer to stuff in december, for example.
04:52pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9516 posts
I went to google and typed online "time ago" calculator

3rd link down was this PHP function:
http://snipplr.com/view/51336/

I put it in a php file with the following code:

echo ago(time() - (11 * 60 * 60 * 24));

The output was:

2 weeks 'ago'

HAHAHAHAHAHA
04:59pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13110 posts
Just...wow

I haven't seen a derail of these proportions for some time. A couple/few/several years even.
05:09pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2674 posts
skytha, english is an ever changing language, and it is acceptable to use the word "couple" to mean a small number, ie there are a couple of people sick at work,

I found a reference that cited it use, (and wasn't wiki) and due to it not supporting your point, you claim it doesn't count.

I'm not wrong all the time BTW, nut you might want to accept other viable and accepted uses of words dude!
05:11pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Jim
12849 posts
The use of 'couple of weeks ago' in the OP was fine given that it was 11 days ago, you're doing it wrong copuis
05:26pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2676 posts
i also added /troll, which should have summed up my post,

as i said, I felt it made it seem like a longer passage of time
05:53pm 30/04/12 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
3019 posts
i read a couple of posts a few hours ago and several were derailing a few of the facts
06:09pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12602 posts
Trial by media! Surely that couldn't go wrong!
06:13pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20392 posts
I'm going to allow 11 days to be said as a couple of weeks. The first 7 days would be the first week, then the next 4 days would be the second week. It would sound silly saying one week and four days. But then could you still get away with saying a couple of weeks if it was only eight or nine days? I guess we'll never know.
06:14pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Jim
12850 posts
that would be a bit of a stretch, if you said anything but 'a week or so' there I'd be all up in your s*** with a dictionary definition
06:24pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2677 posts
so jim, your feelings on 11 days be a couple of days is "a bit of a stretch"?,

however I see the way it was meant to be, it was a fixed date that happened to be not last week, but the week before ergo a couple of weeks

that said, if you are referring to the passing of time, I don't think the you can use a couple of weeks as a subsutute for 11 days, as a couple can mean more than 2 in some contexts, it would also imply the full passage of two weeks, not 1.57 weeks

that said, I would accept "about 2 weeks ago" as it would give wiggle room either side of 14 days,
06:37pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19820 posts
That's nothing, I know where Jimmy Hoffa is

*I don't really, please don't whack me
06:39pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5848 posts
F***, I can't stay on top of this. Requesting a flow chart for the argument so far over the definition of a couple.
08:01pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19828 posts
A couple is 2, no ifs, buts, ands or maybes. When you talk about people being together you say they're a couple. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Couple of days = 2 days
Couple of weeks = 2 weeks
Couple of months = 2 months

A train carriage coupling involves 2 items being connected together.

A truck trailer coupling involves 2 items being connected together.

A COUPLE IS F*****G TWO.
08:06pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9631 posts
There are more than a couple of d**** in this thread.
09:24pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Jim
12851 posts
so jim, your feelings on 11 days be a couple of days is "a bit of a stretch"?

nah I was replying to rev
but your mum reckons it's a bit of a stretch
09:37pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
3493 posts
A couple is 2, can't we all agree guys?
09:39pm 30/04/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2571 posts
There are more than a couple of d**** in this thread.
More than a couple would be a bag.
10:09pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9520 posts
The one thing I was worried about after posting the OP is that I said she was found "in a weir" and I'm not sure you can technically be found IN a weir, since the weir is a barrier, the river is the thing that it is in.
But, you all fell for the red herring.
10:19pm 30/04/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8776 posts
A Couple can be more than two.
There was a couple of people, means at least two, not only two.

"Ive had sex with a couple of women" doesnt mean you had sex with two women only nor at the same time.

10:25pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19835 posts

"Ive had sex with a couple of women" doesnt mean you had sex with two women only nor at the same time.

Where's that user ignorer plugin.
The one thing I was worried about after posting the OP is that I said she was found "in a weir" and I'm not sure you can technically be found IN a weir, since the weir is a barrier, the river is the thing that it is in.
But, you all fell for the red herring.

Put body in formwork, pour cement in formwork to create weir, body = inside weir. You lose.
10:49pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12368 posts
Idiom
a couple of, more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there. A dinner party, whether for a couple of old friends or eight new acquaintances, takes nearly the same amount of effort. Also, Informal , a couple.

Can be confused:  couple, pair, several (see usage note at the current entry ; see synonym and usage notes at pair).

Usage note
The phrase a couple of, meaning “a small number of; a few; several,” has been in standard use for centuries, especially with measurements of time and distance and in referring to amounts of money: They walked a couple of miles in silence. Repairs will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars. The phrase is used in all but the most formal speech and writing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple
10:53pm 30/04/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9521 posts
10:56pm 30/04/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4281 posts
I'm going to allow 11 days to be said as a couple of weeks. The first 7 days would be the first week, then the next 4 days would be the second week. It would sound silly saying one week and four days. But then could you still get away with saying a couple of weeks if it was only eight or nine days? I guess we'll never know.

Thank you Judge Judy :)
11:15pm 30/04/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4282 posts
A train carriage coupling involves 2 items being connected together

A train load of carriages all together are still just "coupled"

lol
11:17pm 30/04/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19836 posts
Shut up all your faces
11:31pm 30/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2679 posts
so according to hoggys link 11 days can't be "a couple of weeks" as it is not more than two

there are more than a couple of people who have been quick to try and correct in this thread
03:38am 01/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9523 posts
You seem to be getting days and weeks confused.

More importantly you keep implying that a week is a measurement of seven days, not a calendar period.

week   [week] Show IPA
noun
a period of seven successive days, usually understood as beginning with Sunday and ending with Saturday.

Plus I can't believe you bumped a thread from last month.

last edited by thermite at 08:25:59 01/May/12
08:21am 01/05/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4745 posts
Plus I can't believe you bumped a thread from last month.

Hehe, I chuckled.
08:28am 01/05/12 Permalink
Jim
12853 posts
copuis, doing it wrong more than a couple of times itt
09:41am 01/05/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5458 posts

That means you're lying.
11:39am 01/05/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2681 posts
copuis, doing it wrong more than a couple of times itt

nope, unless you're refering to grammar errors, and then you'd just be confirming my point
05:51pm 01/05/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9543 posts
I was just buying jewellery for mothers day and the bloke goes "the husband in the Brookfield case was found guilty"
firstly lol
secondly no arrest even reported
crime solvers everywhere!
03:57pm 02/05/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2194 posts
^lol, love the random s*** people say. Normally its the customer talking s*** to me the sales assistant though.
04:06pm 02/05/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:06pm 02/05/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.