AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Twenty Spitfires Found in Burma
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1116 posts
This is such extraordinary news that one wonders if it can actually be true: the Telegraph reports that twenty Spitfire Mk XIV that were discovered buried in Burma will be returned to the UK. David Cameron himself, having taken an interest in the case, has asked and obtained permission to recover the aircraft from the famous Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi.

Awesome find.

http://www.worldwarbirdnews.com/2012/04/14/twenty-spitfire-discovered-buried-in-burma-to-return-to-the-uk/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9203822/Spitfires-buried-in-Burma-during-war-to-be-returned-to-UK.html
03:49pm 15/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:49pm 15/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2582 posts
not to be nit picky, but dont they like yo be called Myanmar now, not burma?

on another note, really hope the crates have survived, it would be nice to see more of these birds in the air
03:54pm 15/04/12 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
2260 posts
Brilliant!
03:54pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3217 posts
That's awesome!

Can't wait to see some photos when they dig them up.
04:29pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2453 posts
Sweet, I want one.
04:32pm 15/04/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4268 posts
Fantastic. Such a great aircraft. Would love a go in one of these.
04:38pm 15/04/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1117 posts
Yes and can't be out posted by elephant threads.
06:53pm 15/04/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2000 posts
No pics :(
07:16pm 15/04/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
915 posts
No pics :(

inorite

also, WTF is with people burying planes? (and sinking ships in area's that clearly aren't for recreational diving)

Whilst I'm sure the parts aren't salvagable or particularly reuseable, you'd think that if we're recycling milk bottles and cans, that there'd be SOME materials (prodominantly metals) that would be worth while to melt down and attempt to re-use.
07:38pm 15/04/12 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4180 posts
Pretty sure when you're about to be overrun by an invading enemy, you don't have the time or the resources to recycle.
07:41pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13050 posts
Yes and can't be out posted by elephant threads.

Haha, haters gon' hate.

Coincidentally there is some really good Aussie war history stuff on iView right now.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/924248
08:24pm 15/04/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1646 posts
Whilst I'm sure the parts aren't salvagable or particularly reuseable, you'd think that if we're recycling milk bottles and cans, that there'd be SOME materials (prodominantly metals) that would be worth while to melt down and attempt to re-use.

I watched a pretty interesting doco on shipwreck yards in Bangladesh.

Shipwreck yards
12:41am 16/04/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1120 posts
inorite

also, WTF is with people burying planes? (and sinking ships in area's that clearly aren't for recreational diving)

Well if you had bothered to read the article they were buried during WWII to prevent the Japanese from capturing them. You're 100% wrong about the parts being unsalvageable. Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are taught basic preservation and servicing of their equipment, cleaning a rifle and apply lubricant is short term preservation.

Military equipment is normal placed into preservation for long term storage/transportation. In this case the aircraft are coated in wax which prevents moisture, gaps are sealed with goop or tar and taped. The complete aircraft is packed into a crate disassembled. The crate being a convenient way to package the aircraft and serves as addition protection.

You would be amazed what is still stored around the country from WWII and earlier. I've seen DAP Beaufighter parts, Mustang wings, DH98 Mosquito fuselages, cowls and propellers. Even a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine for the Hawker Hart the RAAF restored during the 80's.

During my service I was part of the federal branch of the MHSA and we went to one of the AWMs warehouses just to see what was stored. We assisted the AWM staff opening crates to find out the contents. Much was nothing spectacular but one crate had 500 Nambu pistols all complete with holster and cleaning kit in perfect condition.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Nambupistol2465.jpg
02:02am 17/04/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
920 posts
Sorry I didn't post it in my response earlier but as far as 'unsalvagable' goes I was thinking more along the lines of the F-111's that were buried in Ipswich recently.

Pretty sure when you're about to be overrun by an invading enemy, you don't have the time or the resources to recycle.

Sure the recycling element of that is much as I've just said above.
But if you're about to be over-run by the enemy, I don't think I'd have gone the option to dig a hole big enough to bury 20 of them in...
03:11am 17/04/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2587 posts
i think you'll find the F-111 were buried in that (shameful for an aircraft like that) was because the US is still s*** scared of the F-14's they gave to Iran (and dont want any parts what so ever to go to iran and fix up the aircraft there)

(remember a story of the navy visiting the JAG set after the discovered that the swing wing was still usable, the navy fixed that)
03:53am 17/04/12 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2696 posts
If by 'fixed' do you mean a sarcastic "scuttled away" or "destroyed" or perhaps in a more creative reinventing of the wheel kind of way with duct tape and shoe strings?

I love the smell of controversy in the morning.
08:16am 17/04/12 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1977 posts
i saw that story a couple of days ago and it really made smile, f*** i hope those aircraft are in good condition or able to be restored easily.

I watched a pretty interesting doco on shipwreck yards in Bangladesh.

what was the name of that doco Alize?
09:07am 17/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:07am 17/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.

Advertise with Us | Download Media Kit | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001-2014 AusGamers™ Pty Ltd. ACN 093 772 242.
A Mammoth Media web development / Australian VPS Hosting by Mammoth Networks