Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Local Government Elections - 28 April 2012
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9334 posts

The next Local Government Quadrennial Elections are due to be conducted on 28 April 2012.
The Electoral Commission of Queensland will be conducting those elections, including elections for the Brisbane City Council.

http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections.aspx?id=39
http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/2012LG.aspx

Brisbane Mayoral Candidates:

LNP - Graham Quirk

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/2011/10/25/2729741/Graham_Quirk_729-420x0.jpg

Sex Party - Rory Killen

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1397977742/rorykillen-notthehorriblephoto.jpg

The Greens - Andrew Bartlett

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/file/2012/03/30/3175306/bartlett420.jpg?rand=1333062979791

Labor - Ray Smith

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/file/2012/03/30/3175310/smith420.jpg?rand=1333063072109

More info on Brisbane Mayoral candidates:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/the-men-who-would-be-mayor-20120329-1w0sq.html

More info on all candidates:
http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/2012LG.aspx?id=5254

04:15pm 30/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:15pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5732 posts
Cant believe Hajnal (Logan Div 11) is running for her seat again.... This is the one that just spent a week on the run with an arrest warrant out for her.
Mayor and 4 councillors are running unopposed, yet I have seen heaps and heaps of signs for Pam Parker. What a waste of time, money and effort. Hope Lisa Bradley wins her seat again, she does good work. Don't really care/know enough about the others running in Logan.

I also don't think party politics should play such a huge role in Local elections. Thankfully they don't seem to in Logan, except maybe the colour scheme choice... but they seem to play a very big role in Brisbane, which I'm not a fan of.
04:32pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6100 posts
04:44pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4588 posts
Cant believe Hajnal (Logan Div 11) is running for her seat again.... This is the one that just spent a week on the run with an arrest warrant out for her.

Running for city council, running from the cops, running her mouth off...
You can't blame her for wanting to do lots of running after spending $40K on a new pair of legs though.
04:58pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Killen
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts
Howdy

I'm the guy in that godawful photo and white shirt - Rory Killen, Sex Party candidate.

Just dropping by to say hi...
05:14pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5733 posts
That is a rather awful photo, shouldn't you have media people that could pick a better one?
05:16pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1788 posts
Photoshop competition begins now.
05:16pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12214 posts
Hi Rory,

Get a haircut. Unsure about real job.

Thanks for dropping by!
05:17pm 30/03/12 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1605 posts
I don't know why, but i'm always seriously surprised about how well qgl/ausgamers goes in the google
05:22pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4590 posts
I've always wondered why candidates run when there's a slim to none chance of winning.
Is there some nice loot to be collected from the AEC for being a candidate or something?
(srs question)
05:26pm 30/03/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2503 posts
Why couldn't they have held this at the same time as the state election? Surely it would have been cheaper.
05:29pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5734 posts
Not sure about local, but Feds get just over $2 per primary vote. With the smaller elections I assume it would be less, and with less people to vote, an even smaller total at the end.
05:31pm 30/03/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18597 posts
nil funding for local, they are just going for their 15 mins of fame.
05:36pm 30/03/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8614 posts
Labor ?
are they still around ?
06:14pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3200 posts
Forgone conclusion, LNP by a landslide.

Rejoice my minions, good times abound.
06:24pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12944 posts
Hi Killen: I found notthehorriblephoto.jpg from your Twitter and edited it in. Your platform brief in the Brisbanetimes article and on the ASP website seems far too focused on _relatively_ unimportant issues to for me to consider giving you a nod on election day. I've been supportive of the Australian SEX Party at the Federal level (Even though i think the party name -- like the pirate party -- will prevent them from ever being taken serious in the mainstream) but I know you guys stand for much more than that.
As Lord Mayor I’ll foster independent music by protecting venues from burdensome zoning requirements, connecting the city’s entertainment precincts with improved late night transport, and restore Brisbane’s reputation as the City of House Parties with reduced noise restrictions in the inner city.”

Sexual politics put a black mark on Brisbane’s reputation with the recent Adshel fiasco, during which the Australian Christian Lobby launched a homophobic attack on safe-sex advertising. “Safer sex campaigners deserve material support from council. I’m ready to provide as many bus shelters, billboards or public spaces as necessary to ensure the great work of sexual health campaigners can continue.

I’ll further enhance public health by establishing and funding a safe injecting facility in the Valley – protecting both users and the wider community. I’ll work with state government to ensure harm minimisation and public health forms the corner stone of drug policy in Brisbane.
While I agree that these are all positive and progressive things for Brisbane, I really feel like focusing on them as a primary platform potentially trivialises the many more significant problems affecting this city.

Is the intention only to draw attention to these minority issues by using the election as a public forum, or do you consider this to be having a genuine crack at running for mayor? Because whether it's even remotely possible to win or not (and let's not kid ourselves, it's really not), I think people like me would be more supportive of your cause if it at least had the appearance of a genuine effort and not just a soapboxing exercise.
07:51pm 30/03/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8642 posts
These two ASP policies do my head in.

Decriminalisation, not legalisation, of purchase, possession and consumption of all drugs for personal use, such quantity to be defined as an amount equal or less than 14 day’s supply for one person.

and

Trafficking and dealing in drugs to remain a criminal offence.
07:58pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
4992 posts
Rory, I'm concerned that I didn't read Dan's post before commenting.

last edited by Fade2Black at 20:49:05 30/Mar/12
08:43pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5735 posts
The pic was changed Fade, read Dans post
08:45pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6438 posts
CHUB - Maybe you should read this article about drug decriminalisation in Portugal. The ASP is basically pushing for a similar approach here.
08:51pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4493 posts
These two ASP policies do my head in.
decriminalisation only means you're no longer a criminal for simple possession, you could still get fined for it, like a parking ticket.
08:54pm 30/03/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8643 posts
I understand the policies clearly, it's the whole notion behind decriminalizing/legalization of personal usage while criminalizing the production and dealing of said substances.

You can smoke pot... but if you grow it, you're going to jail.

You're free to use this... but the personal supplying it is going to suffer serious consequences.

It's retarded, it makes less sense than outright prohibition.

last edited by CHUB at 21:09:33 30/Mar/12
09:08pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5736 posts
Same Reason that only bars can serve booze.
Just doesn't have the laws behind to allowed licensed establishments yet.
09:14pm 30/03/12 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2504 posts
They are not saying you can smoke it, they are saying that doing so won't be a criminal offence. It means people won't be arrested for having a couple of pills on them.

It may still be a civil offence, you know like littering or child molestation, misdemeanor stuff that gets you a fine. It makes sense because it keeps druggies like yourself from clogging up the legal system and they can concentrate on real criminals like drug dealers.
09:32pm 30/03/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8644 posts
Very mature deadlyf, no point going forward.
09:38pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Killen
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
Heck you guys ask a lot of questions. I'ma go out and hand out f*****g how to vote cards all night - I'll answer everyone tomorrow morning before 1pm. Kay?
09:40pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6103 posts
I believe CHUB that it's meant to stop the source, not the effect. It's better to take down the guy making the heroin then it is taking down the guy doing it.

Also lol at the post above me, no way is that a candidate.
09:42pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
3486 posts
Heck you guys ask a lot of questions. I'ma go out and hand out f*****g how to vote cards all night - I'll answer everyone tomorrow morning before 1pm. Kay?

Dude, it's a discussion forum and you're running for Brisbane Lord Mayor, you're going to get asked questions, particularly in discussion forums (online or otherwise).
10:36pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Killen
Brisbane, Queensland
3 posts
Okay, so democracy in action time.

Dude, it's a discussion forum and you're running for Brisbane Lord Mayor, you're going to get asked questions, particularly in discussion forums (online or otherwise).

Sorry Triamks - I was being facetious as I was literally running out the door. I totally put my toe in the water in the earlier comment because I was very much hoping to get some questions! But putting up my own AMA just feels a little clunky...

That is a rather awful photo, shouldn't you have media people that could pick a better one?

Somehow the old version of that photo has found its way into the fairfax archives. I'm all for accountability but not extreme close ups on hangovers.

Get a haircut. Unsure about real job.

Not disclosing actual job - but I work in the lower levels of arts administration. My background, however: When younger I put my beliefs where my mouth is by working for Oxfam and volunteering for Amnesty International's Queensland branch.

I was always fairly turned off by politics - until I read about the Sex Party, which aligns with my own passion for civil liberties - and had a lightbulb moment. I joined the party in 2008 and have never looked back!

I studied science at the University of Melbourne and am soon to be working at finishing the law degree I abandoned in my early twenties.

I don't know why, but i'm always seriously surprised about how well qgl/ausgamers goes in the google

Surprisingly well. Considering all the effort that the other parties put in to standing by streets, handing out flyers when noone's interested I am endless surprised that other parties don't engage online where discussions are actually taking place.

Then again it would be seriously unconvincing if Graham Quirk (or one of his minions posting as him) posted on Aus Gamers forum...

I've always wondered why candidates run when there's a slim to none chance of winning.
Is there some nice loot to be collected from the AEC for being a candidate or something?
(srs question)

I like to think that there are more reasons for running for Lord Mayor than simply winning the 'top job'. I'm keen to put forward an idea of what Brisbane can be... I'm frustrated that local politics seems only ever concerned with filling potholes and digging tunnels - which is important work but which continues much the same regardless of who wins.

Local politics can be about defining a place and a culture in a way that State and Federal politics cannot be. That's exciting.

Potholes less so.

And no, it's not for the money. For example, I've never received one cent from the Sex Party or any electoral funding body for personal use (except maybe the odd beer after a full day of letter dropping). You don't do it for money, you do it for conviction.

While I agree that these are all positive and progressive things for Brisbane, I really feel like focusing on them as a primary platform potentially trivialises the many more significant problems affecting this city.

Is the intention only to draw attention to these minority issues by using the election as a public forum, or do you consider this to be having a genuine crack at running for mayor? Because whether it's even remotely possible to win or not (and let's not kid ourselves, it's really not), I think people like me would be more supportive of your cause if it at least had the appearance of a genuine effort and not just a soapboxing exercise.

As I indicated above, I think that daily grind of council - those potholes, bridges, rubbish removal - is definitely important work but is work that occurs much the same regardless of who is in the Mayor's office. Graham Quirk isn't out their with a shovel any more than Graham Quirk oversees road network design.

I'm more than happy for the same old men to be talking about the same old crap. I'm motivated by something different.

But also the policies picked up in the news article weren't exactly how I'd express them. Take noise restrictions - it came across in the article that I simply want doof doof in Aspley. That's not the case. Rather I am frustrated that local musicians who put on their own show - in a warehouse or at a house show - because there aren't enough venues in Brisbane get shut down by the police too rapidly, even if the show is put on in the inner city. Think back to bands like the Saints, iconic bands of which Brisbane should be proud, they achieved their success by doing it for themselves. Council should back them, not frustrate them.

The inner city should be treated like an inner city, a buzzing and thriving place. The suburbs, however, should remain the quiet retreat people want.

You can see more of my personal platforms at the campaign page - http://www.facebook.com/rory4mayor or @rorykillen - or better yet go to http://www.sexparty.org.au to see more of what we're about

I understand the policies clearly, it's the whole notion behind decriminalizing/legalization of personal usage while criminalizing the production and dealing of said substances.

You're free to use this... but the personal supplying it is going to suffer serious consequences.

It's retarded, it makes less sense than outright prohibition.

Drugs! Now this is a policy that's really interesting.

Okay firstly let's distinguish between pot and other drugs. We haven't formalised it yet but there is a growing mood in the party to just come out and admit it: we're pretty okay with marijuana. Full legalisation - grow it, smoke it, cook it, post it. Even tax it. Go for gold.

But other drugs... the policy is not that's it's okay to use heroine, for example. The goal of the policy is to eradicate heroine addiction just as much as any other party seeks to do that. However, we acknowledge that the criminal approach to drugs has failed consistently for the 70 years that it has been applied. Sending addicts to jail demonstrably does not work.

In contrast, we argue that treating those with substance addiction as suffering from a physical and mental illness will prove more effective. Treat addiction with health services and counselling - not jail.

Habitual users would receive the support they need. However, someone who is simply popping a pill on a Saturday night will receive little more than a slap on the wrist - essentially a fine like a parking fine. It is repeat and habitual users that are actually a problem - dabbling less so.

So yeah the contradiction that you initially thought you had perceived isn't there. We don't argue that it's fine to possess, just not to distribute. We argue that those who suffer from the illness of addiction are best assisted with health services, not jail time.
01:49pm 31/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9339 posts
That's all well and good, but I figure most of what the Sex Party stands for can't be achieved at a council level?
02:32pm 31/03/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
8883 posts
Killen if you want to be taken seriously you should take and post a verification photo with something mentioning Ausgamers/QGL.
04:01pm 31/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2530 posts
oh come on, with a photo like that, surely it is a little "something about rory)
06:46pm 31/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5965 posts
Local politics can be about defining a place and a culture in a way that State and Federal politics cannot be. That's exciting.

Potholes less so.

no offence, but fixing potholes matters a hell of a lot more to me than some pie-in-the-sky notion of 'defining a culture'.

there will be plenty of local government issues that people care about that aren't particularly glamorous.

That's all well and good, but I figure most of what the Sex Party stands for can't be achieved at a council level?

i would have thought this too, e.g. drug decriminalisation is hardly a local issue?
07:08pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5741 posts
As he mentioned though, the councillors (and to an even lessor extent, Mayor) have very little impact or change on the day-to-day mundane things like potholes. They do get involved in projects such as Park upgrades, Intersections, School Car Parks etc They also have their discretionary budget for the projects they promise and things they think will be good etc.

While their office is the 'Go-to guy' for any and all issues, 95% of the time you will be passed onto the appropriate department without even speaking to the councillor. They're there to represent the people though, so if something isn't being done well/fast enough then it's their job to step in and give a kick to whichever department needs to pick up their slack. Being a Local Councillor is not something I would ever consider exciting and if you think that about being the Mayor, then I don't think you actually know what you're getting into.

With that said though, the Mayor doesn't really get into the defining or culture of a place either. I does seem to me as well that a party like the ASP is much better suited to Federal / Senate type roles, where they can actually make headway on their core policies.

Edit: I should also add what I said near the top of this thread;

I also don't think party politics should play such a huge role in Local elections. Thankfully they don't seem to in Logan, except maybe the colour scheme choice... but they seem to play a very big role in Brisbane, which I'm not a fan of.
07:21pm 31/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9340 posts
Also if the sex party guy comes back, I gotta give a +1 for changing the name. Wikipedia quotes your parties' leader describing the sex party as a "civil libertarian alternative" which could form the basis of a more respectable name...
08:01pm 31/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5966 posts
As he mentioned though, the councillors (and to an even lessor extent, Mayor) have very little impact or change on the day-to-day mundane things like potholes.

oh for sure, i'm just pointing out that local government issues that people care about are more often than not likely to be pretty mundane like your list of examples.
08:10pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6439 posts
Also if the sex party guy comes back, I gotta give a +1 for changing the name. Wikipedia quotes your parties' leader describing the sex party as a "civil libertarian alternative" which could form the basis of a more respectable name...
I don't see the need to change the name. Anyone with a stick up their arse about the word "sex" probably doesn't agree with their policies.
08:17pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4593 posts
Not disclosing actual job - but I work in the lower levels of arts administration.

Sex party member working in 'lower levels of arts administration'?
That sounds like a part time gig behind the counter at Naughty But Nice.

I don't see the need to change the name.

They can call themselves what they like, of course, but I reckon adopting a slogan like "tackling the key issues" and a name change to Australian Key Party (AKP) would be much more subtle and would surely attract new members (teehee).

I've never received one cent from the Sex Party or any electoral funding body for personal use (except maybe the odd beer after a full day of letter dropping)

As a Lord Mayoral candidate I'm sure you're well aware that should you win, those beers will likely become the subject of a future CMC inquiry.
09:41pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5742 posts
You don't have to declare any gifts under the value of $50.
09:44pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20253 posts
Voters in South Brisbane have been given a reprieve and will be able to vote for their new state member while voting in the council election.

Premier Campbell Newman announced the by-election caused by the resignation of former Premier Anna Bligh will be held on April 28 alongside the council poll.

Already saving money.

Plus...
PREMIER Campbell Newman has scrapped the Queensland Premier's Literary Awards in a move that has shocked and outraged arts and publishing identities.

"In light of this, the Queensland Government has decided not to proceed with the Queensland Premier's Literary Awards in 2012 which will save Queensland taxpayers $244, 475," the statement said.

We don't need some wanky thing like this anyway. I wonder how many other stupid things like this happen that we pay for.
06:46pm 03/04/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5759 posts
There were people having a cry about that (Art Bums) on the Radio this morning Rev.

Having the By-election on the same day is great for those in South Brisbane. I wonder if Labor will hold the seat.
07:50am 04/04/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
20256 posts
Haha

I bet the main complaint was why won't somebody think of the children! People have been reading books for millions of years without this Literacy Award being given out. I'm sure we'll survive.
09:25am 04/04/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18609 posts
It's just a bunch of trendy inner city square glass and ironic pork pie hat wearing hipsters upset who have never voted LNP in their life so f*** em. We have a completely f***ed queensland budget to fix.
09:29am 04/04/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8632 posts
If its so important to Society why dont all the accomplished Writers put their own money in to the Awards ?
You know, like theyve been doing with our money.

12:53pm 04/04/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6442 posts
I bet the main complaint was why won't somebody think of the children! People have been reading books for millions of years without this Literacy Award being given out. I'm sure we'll survive.
You could apply that same attitude to sports and save a lot more taxpayer money.
01:05pm 04/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:05pm 04/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.