AusGamers took Far Cry 4 for a hands-on spin last week. Read on for our full thoughts...
Far Cry 4 Hands-On Preview
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Joaby Gilroy takes The Sims 4 for a spin on PC and finds out just what the life simulator has to offer.
The Sims 4 Reviewed
Car aircon died - possibly blower motor related?
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1223 posts
Hey guys,

I'm going to start by saying that I know how to drive a car and change a tyre, but that's about it. I was driving this morning and everything was fine (no noises, vibrations etc), then suddenly my aircon died. No sputtering etc, just working perfectly one second then completely dead the next.

I've got a 2001 Nissan Maxima ST with auto climate control. The control unit in the dashboard still works perfectly, but no matter what I set the controls to, I don't get any air blowing out of the vents. I should add that when I have it set to pull in air from outside the car (rather than recycling), if I'm travelling at speed I get a little bit of airflow. It's still cold, so I'm assuming that the refrigeration part is working, just not the blower/fan part of the system

I've been googling and checking things this afternoon (to the point that I'm now late for a friend's birthday party :P) and it seems that the most obvious problem would be a blown fuse. So, I've checked the fuses for aircon and the blower motor on the advice of a friend. That hasn't fixed the issue unfortunately.

So, according to my mate, I'm left with it being a possible dead relay (wtf is a relay?) or a dead blower motor. This is now at the end of my mate's knowledge as well as mine, so I thought I'd turn to the collective wisdom of QGL to see if anyone else knows a damned thing about what could be wrong with my precious, precious cold air :P

If anyone has any advice or info, I'd love to hear it. I've got to head out to this party so won't be available to update it for a few hours. My car's also going in for repairs on Monday after a woman ran into the back of me the other week. Is it worth just getting them to check it and coughing up a (probably) large chunk of cash for it?

Cheers for your help!
05:54pm 31/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:54pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1794 posts
Your motherboard is dead
06:04pm 31/03/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15292 posts
Yeah probably just your blower fan fuse or circuit breaker (mine has a 20 amp circuit breaker rather than a fuse)

Do your engine rev's change when you turn on/off the AC? you should have a fan that always comes on at the front of the condenser when the AC is on, so you can at least isolate the AC system vs the Blower.

Also AC systems do have a low pressure switch when the gas has escaped that will disable the AC system if the pressure is too low to protect the system, but this should be independent of the internal blower.

last edited by scuzzy at 18:06:57 31/Mar/12
06:05pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2078 posts
Most likely cause is unnecessary acceleration.
06:05pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4423 posts
Could also be a dead blower fan resistor, which is not uncommon for most cars as they are situated in the path of the air from the blower motor so get dust and moisture build up. Trying to find out whether its a blown motor, resistor or some other issue, is going to be out of your league though.
06:06pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2886 posts
You can think of a relay as a kind of switch to keep it simple. Did you check all the fuses inside and inside the engine bay? My old car had three fuses area's in the cabin and one under the bonnet, luckily the computer would tell you which fuse box to look in for a blown fuse. I'd suggest asking them to try to diagnose it but to ring you before repairing it, it could be as simple as a fuse, relay or a loose wire or it might be the blower (which it sounds like it might be) in which case you may be able to source one from a wreckers and have it installed (probably a *unt of a job) for a fair bit less than a new one.
06:08pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1224 posts
Scuzzy, yes engine revs change when I turn on/off the AC unit.

Mental, I've checked the fuse panel inside the car (near the driver's right knee), the one under the hood near the battery and the relay "box"(?) that also sits near the battery just in case I could see any visible damage to it (which I couldn't).

The A/C fuses are 10A which I tested with the spare that comes with the car. I don't know if I'd be able to visibly see if it was blown or not, but nothing looked out of the ordinary (I treated the fuses as if they were lightbulbs. If you can see solid contact from both points, then it's good. If contact is broken, it's blown).

I located 2x15A fuses for the blower motor in the fuse box near the battery but again, they looked fine.

I had no idea what the hell I was looking at when I opened the relay box, so I didn't touch anything :P

I guess I'll have a chat to the guys on Monday and get them to have a look and see what they can find. Fscking annoying timing. If this had gone the same day as the woman ran into me, I'd have had a valid claim to get them to fix it for free too :P
06:20pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2887 posts
Depends on how the relays are marked but you can usually swap a relay from one system to another to check it, but I wouldn't do that if you're not a 100% sure.

Hopefully it's something quick and easy to fix and not remove a million and one things to get to!
06:24pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
8458 posts
Did you check the flux capacitor?
06:32pm 31/03/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12841 posts
my compressor gave up the other day - had just clocked over to 400,000 kilometers on the odo so the old girl did well

http://jack.unix.org.au/~brett/cruiser/aircon/air01.png
06:37pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4424 posts
Kinda looks like the pressure relief valve on the side let go there teq. Something's causing high pressure in the system and the pressure switch may not be cutting the compressor off soon enough.
06:45pm 31/03/12 Permalink
floyd
Brisbane, Queensland
23 posts
Test for power at the blower motor.
07:11pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19625 posts
If it's auto climate control, pray the electronics that control the motor speed aren't dead.

Could also be a dead blower fan resistor

Would climate control have the same little resistor that manual fan controls do? My climate control can ramp the fan speed up & down like Q-Fan does on a motherboard, there isn't just slow, medium, high and off so I assume it uses some transistor voodoo magic to control the speed of the fan.

I located 2x15A fuses for the blower motor in the fuse box near the battery but again, they looked fine.

I've had fuses that look ok but are still blown. It's best to check them with either a bit of wire & 12v light bulb or a multimeter.

edit: yep, I just checked my service manual and I was right, I have a "power transistor" which I assume controls the speed of the motor.
07:23pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4425 posts
Yeah digital climate controls still use a fan speed resistor, just an electronic version.
07:33pm 31/03/12 Permalink
livelongbasher
New South Wales
51 posts
Get it gassed up - I thought I'd blown a relay or some-such, no drop in revs when I turned on the A/C.

Turns out, it needed some more gas.
07:33pm 31/03/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15293 posts
Gesthemene said revs change
07:36pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2889 posts
Does the air come out forcibly with the heater on?
07:38pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19626 posts

I guess I'll have a chat to the guys on Monday and get them to have a look and see what they can find. Fscking annoying timing. If this had gone the same day as the woman ran into me, I'd have had a valid claim to get them to fix it for free too :P

Maybe the accident did damage something but it just took a while to show up. like a wire got pinched or something and just took a little while to rub through.

Once when I put the engine back in my car I pinched the oil pressure wire so all was good at first but then a little while later the oil pressure gauge just stopped working.

Worth a try anyway, especially if someone else did the work on the car & did end up pinching a wire somewhere if they pulled any panels off or replaced the airbags (if it has any).
07:40pm 31/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2531 posts
Get it gassed up - I thought I'd blown a relay or some-such, no drop in revs when I turned on the A/C.

Turns out, it needed some more gas.

even without gas, the fan blows,

can you override the fan speed, (on manual control?) the last few cars (with auto climate controls)
is the fan still dead?
07:52pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1225 posts
Does the air come out forcibly with the heater on?

Nope.

can you override the fan speed, (on manual control?) the last few cars (with auto climate controls)
is the fan still dead?

Yes I can, still no noticeable airflow

Did you check the flux capacitor?

No need. My Mr Fusion's only 5 months old.
04:47pm 01/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2901 posts
Update? Was it something accident related? simple to fix? or a pull half the car apart sort of thing?
05:16pm 04/04/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1231 posts
No idea yet. Haven't heard back from the repairer. I'm making do with a crappy little i30 atm. It feels like I'm driving a golf buggy made of plastic, but at least it has aircon :P
05:20pm 04/04/12 Permalink
Basket
Gold Coast, Queensland
752 posts
I had my air con go a few weeks ago in my car aswell, Lucky my dad being a car dealer at the Auctions seem to know what it was straight away, I put my money on the compressor good sir!
06:17pm 04/04/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5345 posts
I'm making do with a crappy little i30 atm. It feels like I'm driving a golf buggy made of plastic
hehehe
06:22pm 04/04/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1233 posts
I had my air con go a few weeks ago in my car aswell, Lucky my dad being a car dealer at the Auctions seem to know what it was straight away, I put my money on the compressor good sir!

Just heard back from the mechanic. Apparently it's my fan speed resistor. He's sourcing a decent second hand one for me. Estimates around $70 for the part and a bit of labour to install it.

From what I can see, the installation process as detailed here (http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/maxima/projects/nissan_maxima_blower_motor_amplifier.htm) should take about 15-20 minutes.
12:13pm 05/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2904 posts
Sweet as, looks nice and easy, better than some cars where you have to remove the dash to even be able to look at it.
12:56pm 05/04/12 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1234 posts
Sweet as, looks nice and easy, better than some cars where you have to remove the dash to even be able to look at it.

Here's hoping. It's been an incredibly expensive month as it is :(
02:00pm 05/04/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:00pm 05/04/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close