We take a look at inXile's cRPG successor Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2 Reviewed
AusGamers takes a deep and hard look at just what Bungie has to offer in their newest sci-fi world, and just where our Destiny may lay.
Destiny Reviewed
AusGamers had the chance to sit down and chat with lead programmer and local Australian Ian Hern on all things Kraden’s Crypt.
Interview with Ian Hern on Kraden's Crypt
We take a look at all the local talent Australia has to offer for the gaming scene
Indie Friday: A Look at Australian Gaming
Crackdown on hooning with new Qld Government
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1889 posts
http://lnp.org.au/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1874%3Alnp-will-put-the-brakes-on-hoons&tmpl=component&print=1

A CanDo LNP Government will crackdown on illegal street racing and hooning by introducing the strictest anti-hooning laws in the nation.

LNP Leader Campbell Newman said the LNP was committed to ensuring Queensland families were safe in their communities through the LNP's Safer Streets Crime Action Plan.

"Illegal street racing and activities such as burn-outs, donuts, drifting, and unnecessary speed or acceleration are collectively known as hooning," Mr Newman said.

"These activities are highly dangerous to other road users, as well as those inside the offending car. It also is highly disruptive to local families and businesses.

"The LNP will crackdown on hoons by introducing the toughest hooning laws in the nation.

"Under our anti-hooning laws will be the equal toughest in the nation, with cars clamped and the off the road for three months for a first hooning offence, and forfeited and sold or crushed for any subsequent offence within the next five years.

"Under this tired, 20-year Labor government, hoons only have their cars impounded for 48 hours – when a recent study found a 48-hour impoundment was not a genuine deterrent, with comments such as 'I don't think it's too bad.'

"The LNP will ensure residents in local communities can report hooning so action can be taken. The LNP proposed the HOONWatch hotline, and through strong advocacy this important line was established – and we'll continue to support the hotline."

Mr Newman said the tired, 20-year Labor government had failed to tackle hooning – instead sitting back and doing little or nothing for years.

pretty glad im moving to Germany because cars are my life.

edit by trog: I edited the subject because it was non-descriptive. It was previously "Gentlemen, Welcome to the nanny state." in case anyone is wondering about my first comment.
06:38pm 29/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:38pm 29/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35991 posts
I must be missing something. What is nanny state about this?
06:40pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3194 posts
There's nothing wrong with it. If you obey the road rules you won't get pinned for being a dangerous idiot. I don't see how this falls under the nanny state label at all tbh.

I own a v8, I like V8's. I obey the road rules and I don't get pulled over. Never have been once. Have only been caught speeding once and it was my own fault. If you want to do burnouts and hoon around like a f***wit Rdizz go do it at a racetrack. I actually see no issue with this, pretty sure they have similar laws in NSW.
06:44pm 29/03/12 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
12839 posts
yeah I don't get it either and I'm what you might call a hoon, or at least I was.

thankfully I got in and out of the car scene just before it got too bad!
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1221 posts
This suits me just fine.

If you're on a public road, you have an obligation to drive safely. Even if you think nobody else is around. If you want to drive in a more ...unorthodox manner, take it to a track etc

edit: Am I the only one thinking that Rdizz is potentially going to have a lot of problems in Germany? :P
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15286 posts
Yawn
06:46pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6074 posts
Rdizz, don't know why your stating that this is the end of it all. Hooning is stupid, dangerous and I'm glad the state is cracking down on it. I was nearly in a accident last year thanks to some d******* who nearly swerved into me while trying to do go around a roundabout smoking the place up. If I had a gun, would of shot his tyres, didn't even care about them anyway.

First offence should be car confiscated, you clearly have no brain cells to operate a car safely and should never be allowed on the road.
06:47pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5635 posts
I've been in two somewhat-serious car crashes due to other people either running lights or just driving stupidly, I appreciate anti-retard driving endeavours.
06:50pm 29/03/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15287 posts
I've been in two somewhat-serious car crashes due to other people either running lights or just driving stupidly, I appreciate anti-retard driving endeavours.
But they never do anything about that, just focus on "hoons" since clearly "hoons" cause the majority of accidents on the roads.
06:52pm 29/03/12 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4460 posts
cool, now instead of pulling over and copping a fine, hoons will now run for their lives and we'll get some badass high speed pursuits :]
06:52pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1891 posts
what is deemed excessive acceleration? does your car have a sports exhaust? do you want mags on your car? did you accidentally chirp the wheels going into 2nd gear next to another car? if so say hello the long un-lubed arm of the law.

you get caught overseas doing 20km over the limit and they pretty much let you off in europe or the fine is next to nothing.
06:54pm 29/03/12 Permalink
eK
Brisbane, Queensland
10531 posts
OH GOD WHY DID I VOTE FOR NEWMAN NOT KNOWING THIS!
06:56pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6076 posts
what is deemed excessive acceleration? does your car have a sports exhaust? do you want mags on your car? did you accidentally chirp the wheels going into 2nd gear next to another car? if so say hello the long un-lubed arm of the law.

you get caught overseas doing 20km over the limit and they pretty much let you off in europe or the fine is next to nothing.

I'm pretty sure they are only going after people stupid enough to do burnouts, smoke their tyres or go well over the speed limit. Also probably causing excessive noise pollution with their s***** exhaust pipes that could fit a baby in.
06:56pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3195 posts

Stop jumping to conclusions before they law has even been introduced. Who says they will be c**** about it. I laugh at people who whinge and moan about cops because I've never been pulled over and I have had my licence for 9 years. I must be doing something right.......
07:01pm 29/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2866 posts
I will never lend my car to anyone, period.

I hope they think it through though.

What happens if you take your car to the mechanic, the mechanic takes it out and thrashes it, and your car is impounded for three months (like http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/lamborghini-impounded-under-hoon-laws/story-e6frf7l6-1225817120600)
07:03pm 29/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35993 posts
Pro tip: Europe is a big place and has different laws upheld to different levels.

France has staggering on-the-spot fines for big speeders (iirc 500 to 750 EUR).

Cars are dangerous; treating them like toys on public roads is insanity and foolishness. If you want to drive like that go out onto the racetrack and do it there with pave and the boys when they go.

You should have been listening to JJJ this week on Hack, they were doing a segment on youth driving. Lots of terrible horror stories; the one this evening about the guy who permanently crippled his mate driving drunk was particularly depressing.
07:03pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1892 posts
driving drunk

edit: why dont they make laws like this for drink driving. I'm 26 and im a car guy and I believe in a time and place for everything but some guy doing a burnout in a industrial area at 11pm on a Saturday night away form the public at less than 20kmh is nowhere as dangerous as a speeding drunk person through the suburbs.

Its hard to explain to non-car enthusiast people what its like to deal with police here and what its like to drive a modified car and the passion involved. I have to constantly drive around with about 200 pages of paperwork in my glove box with every receipt for mods done to my car, the rules for issuing defects to cars, the Australian design rules for modification and the QLD modification guide.
I do this all because most police are NOT TRAINED enough to issue people with the correct fines and simply get most people because they dont know better.

Its sneaky, revenue raising and makes life extremely difficult for rev heads.

last edited by Rdizz at 19:12:06 29/Mar/12

last edited by Rdizz at 19:13:55 29/Mar/12
07:04pm 29/03/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1066 posts
New law is a good idea becausing hooning is dangerous for innocents.

New law is a bad idea because cops will abuse the new found power.

Ie. Taking off from lights a bit too aggressively in the eyes of the law, even though you were under the speed limit. This is hooning yes?
07:09pm 29/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35994 posts
yes, that was the example from the last 20 minutes that I was just listening to, and it was the most memorable because it was very sad. There were many other examples of idiot hoon retards getting injured or killed. Way to focus on the important parts.
07:11pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7329 posts
to be honest when i came back to oz in feb after being away for 5 years i noticed alot less speeding and driving like idiots going on..

seems like what ever police and policy makers are doing is working

i'm all for any measure that takes d*******s off the road
07:18pm 29/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2525 posts
I voted labor,

all you LNP supporters are to blame,

you gave them so much power, you have yourselves to blame
07:21pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19616 posts
f*** you newman you snail. So you want us to accelerate slowly at traffic lights that only stay green for 2 seconds, thus letting only 2 cars through in peak traffic when there's 50 cars behind us? Nah, f*** off. I'm going to continue taking off as fast as possible to allow more cars to get through the intersection. I stop accelerating once I hit the speed limit, there's nothing dangerous about it. If you think there is, get a better car.
07:23pm 29/03/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
14785 posts
^ eh why would you care about the people waiting behind you?
07:28pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19617 posts
I more care when it's me who's waiting and the f***wits in front are just sitting there. lights have been green for ages, no one has moved, lights turn amber, oh s*** we better go. Drivers around here are backwards as f***

that and I'm not a complete c***?
07:29pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6077 posts
I will never lend my car to anyone, period.

I hope they think it through though.

What happens if you take your car to the mechanic, the mechanic takes it out and thrashes it, and your car is impounded for three months (like http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/lamborghini-impounded-under-hoon-laws/story-e6frf7l6-1225817120600)

Pretty sure that's illegal and a very sure minority.
07:58pm 29/03/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1094 posts
So Newman is Sir Joh reincarnate....

Jobs for the boys...

Fascist Police...
08:00pm 29/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2867 posts
Yeah it wouldn't happen often, but you'd hate to be the one to lose your car for three months because of something outside of your control wouldn't you Eorl? My point was as long as it covers all aspects so s*** like that can't happen.

And I wouldn't lend my car to anyone, at the moment if someone gets caught hooning it's their f***up, what happens if you lend your brother your car and he gets done. Nice phone call that would be.
08:06pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6078 posts
Yeah I can understand that mental, and hopefully the laws are thought out. But they are overdue, I don't care if it's 11pm at night and no one is around, it's a stupid, illegal thing to do, and has the possibility of injuring/killing someone. Also it's damaging roads, making excessive noise and really it should all be done in venues designated for that kind of thing.

Really it's just lazy people who don't want to go to a race track to zoom around, and instead risk getting into accidents or injuring themselves and being an all round d***.

edit- Also if your taking off at lights fast enough to either spin out or burn rubber, then you should be caught. Any reasonable person would gradually incline their acceleration without the need to slam their foot down.
08:10pm 29/03/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8639 posts
I thought the current hoon laws were very effective/strong? Didn't they take your entire car after 3 offences?

This sounds like a load of s***.
08:22pm 29/03/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20448 posts
If you are a car enthusiast and never go to the track, you are a wanker.

If you are a car enthusiast and have ever driven on the road in an unsafe manner to try and satisfy your little needs, you are definitely a wanker.

If you are a car enthusiast, you are probably a wanker.
08:22pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2066 posts
I blame browns plains and marsden.
08:25pm 29/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16520 posts
i read fpots post and was like

yes

YES (well not for a long time)

oh :(
08:33pm 29/03/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8640 posts
Also it's damaging roads
No it isn't you tard, trucks damage roads.
08:33pm 29/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2868 posts
Watch RBT on channel ten and crush some of those cars please!
08:48pm 29/03/12 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
18595 posts
this behaviour is damn dangerous and there's no need for it. it's not nanny state at all. the roads are a public place which should be safe for everyone to use. go hoon on your own property.
08:53pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2068 posts
everyone just calm the farm and watch.

Fatlace TV❘AN Films❘Wekfest 4 San Francisco from Anton Ngata on Vimeo.

09:02pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
18614 posts
You can accelerate quickly at traffic lights without having to spin your tyres and hoon off like a mad man, sounds to me like this is the sort of behaviour they're targetting, and I'm all good with that. If you can't take off quickly at traffic lights without doing a burnout, then you're either a s*** driver, or you have a s*** car, or both.
09:32pm 29/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2869 posts
I was sat at the lights in a jaguar with a marked police car behind me, raining at night ilights turned green I took off, except I didn't. I lost traction and very slowly crawled over the line in a big cloud of smoke. Lights went straight on so I pulled over after the intersection and watched smoke pouring from the back wheel of a police car with flashing lights. They turned their lights off and drove off but I wish I could've recorded that.
09:40pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12503 posts
I agree with these new laws. Sucks to be a hoon and have your car crushed..
09:48pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3152 posts
Talk about timing. I just picked up my new xr6 turbo and was planning on getting some hooning in :/
09:51pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1003 posts
Just wanted to comment here since this is something that I am directly involved in (evidence management for the QPS).

Under the current hoon legislation cars can be impounded for various periods ranging from 48hrs to 3 months - how many 3 month impoundments have i seen?

none
(p.s I arent saying there havent been any, anwhere, but I havent seen any in my District in 4 years)

The problem is now (and IMO will be in the future) that whilst the police on the road will issue the appropriate infringement notices / section 157 notice / request forfeiture etc, the Magistrates are (in my experience) unlikely to actually impound the vehicles for 3months and even less likely to forfeit / crush

Anyone with half a brain will turn up to court and claim that this (proposed impoundment) will cause "undue hardship" et al and the soft Court system will let them off.

The current system would be more effective and a decent deterrent if the Magistrates actually used the powers allowed under the PPRA etc.

Increasing the potential penalties will have zero effect on hooning as the same bottleneck to deterrent will still apply.
09:56pm 29/03/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10160 posts
that's very interesting information there agamemnon. So are you saying that it's not the case (as i suspected) that if you just get it a little tail-happy in the wet that mr plod is not going to confiscate your car for a quarter of a year? That you'd have to be being an utter f***wit before drastic action like that would be taken?
10:05pm 29/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8829 posts
the main problem I have with anti-hooning initiatives is they have this BS guilty unless proved innocent flavour to them. Police can impound vehicles for whatever rubbish they decide to and without having to produce any evidence. How is that fair?

By the way, I'd take someone doing a bit of a minor burnout now and then over someone texting while driving ANY DAY. When are they going to announced the toughest INATTENTIVE DRIVING LAWS IN THE COUNTRY!
10:11pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
395 posts
I have just been Defected driving home from a day at the race track. My first traffic offence.

Major defect couldn't drive home, court date and DOT summons. The cop was an arrogant c*** who I could tell was a socially retarded misfit treating traffic offences as if they are criminal.

Driving home from doing the right thing at the track on the highway, doing the speed limit in the left lane. A bike cop on the side of the road singled me out because I'm young and drive a clean import.
Had no choice but to un-register the car and toe it now.

There is a serious problem with the traffic police system treating these offences as if we are criminals.
This new move will just boast the underground street racing and drift scene. It will encourage more runners from the cops. I'm all for it!
If you're driving with your young family in an industrial estate or mountain range at 3am then you deserve to be run off the road by a hoon!
10:14pm 29/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8830 posts
what did you get defected for dude?

Before anyone gets on their high horse, keep in mind that a huge proportion of vehicles on the road would have technical defects. Worn suspension bushes, brakes under legal minimum amount or brake fluid expired, worn or aged tyres, frayed seatbelts, s***, even the h-pattern worn off your gearknob is a defect...but do the police randomly pull over any of these kinds of cars? No, they pull over people in imports and other popular performance cars.
10:14pm 29/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35995 posts
what did you get defected for dude?

Before anyone gets on their high horse, keep in mind that a huge proportion of vehicles on the road would have technical defects. Worn suspension bushes, brakes under legal minimum amount or brake fluid expired, worn or aged tyres, frayed seatbelts, s***, even the h-pattern worn off your gearknob is a defect...but do the police randomly pull over any of these kinds of cars? No, they pull over people in imports and other popular performance cars.
I am 100% sure that is true, but you have to realise that if you are in a sports car thing, you are going to be a target no matter what - and you should take pains to make sure you are not infringing anything especially for that reason.

My ex-g/f's dad had a Porsche 911 and used to b**** all the time about getting busted by the cops in it. He drove like a maniac (he used to be a semi-pro racer) and just couldn't reconcile the fact that he was in a 911 made him stand out. I can imagine cops must get special bursts of power pleasure when they bust someone in a super expensive car as well so you have to know they're going to be paying more attention to you.
10:24pm 29/03/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15289 posts
keep in mind that a huge proportion of vehicles on the road would have technical defects
considering we don't have yearly vehicle inspections, there's oodles of s******s out there.
10:31pm 29/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2872 posts
I'm glad he hasn't announced double demerit point holiday seasons myself.
10:32pm 29/03/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15290 posts
I'm sure that will be next when "going after hoons" fails to reduce the death toll.
10:32pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3168 posts
Sounds to me like Rdizz is a hoon and needs his car crushed.
10:36pm 29/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8831 posts
I am 100% sure that is true, but you have to realise that if you are in a sports car thing, you are going to be a target no matter what - and you should take pains to make sure you are not infringing anything especially for that reason.

The point is you could sit and watch 9 unmaintained s***boxes drive past and then the traffic cop, who is most likely a gigantic douchebag (seriously, even other cops reckon traffic cops are douchebags) will pull over the 1 import and issue a defect for something like a blow off valve, when the 9 s***boxes might have had serious safety related defects such as bald tyres.
10:40pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
396 posts
Don't get me wrong i know my car is modified illegal and the police just uphold the law but they defected me stating my vehicle mods are unsafe! Thats not fair.

I got pined for the usual stuff.

Too low... you can buy a f*****g BMW of the show room floor that's just as low as my car.
Detachable steering wheel. obviously they don't understand it so it's unsafe.

Hand brake button. This pissed me of the most. This arrogant cop said he knows all about those hand brake button things, and that they don't let your hand brake lock up when you pull it. I proved to him that he could not be any more wrong which landed me a fine for it anyway.

Roll cage. Just because i didn't pay tax for a blue plate to say I can have one its illegal.

windscreen washer jets not hooked up.

fixed back Bucket seat.

Who reviews these mods and deems them unsafe and illegal. How the f*** do they justify this?
10:44pm 29/03/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9610 posts
I lolled at the 'car crushing' idea.

I would have thought that Libs would copy the Yanks: sell the cars off to help pay for our under-budgeted police force.

10:54pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4422 posts
Offset has pretty much said exactly what I was thinking.
10:59pm 29/03/12 Permalink
HurricaneJim
Brisbane, Queensland
1095 posts
Don't get me wrong i know my car is modified illegal and the police just uphold the law but they defected me stating my vehicle mods are unsafe! Thats not fair.

So you know your car is defective under the law but it's not fair?

Tough titties
11:03pm 29/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9330 posts
Just wanted to comment here since this is something that I am directly involved in (evidence management for the QPS).

The current system would be more effective and a decent deterrent if the Magistrates actually used the powers allowed under the PPRA etc.

Magistrates make measured rational decisions appropriate to the circumstances. QPS employees make snap judgements and tend to exercise the full extent of their powers.
11:12pm 29/03/12 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
1163 posts
If you can't take off quickly at traffic lights without doing a burnout, then you're either a s*** driver, or you have a s*** car, or both.

+1
11:22pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6082 posts
Wait so Offset you knew your car was defective, yet you still drove it and are now complaining about getting pulled over for it? What...
11:26pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6056 posts
I swear some of you f**** came out of the womb at 50 years old.
11:31pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6083 posts

I like safe roads makes me a 50 year old?
11:41pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
5636 posts

I had a step brother like you, he's dead now.
11:43pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2051 posts
I have just been Defected driving home from a day at the race track. My first traffic offence.

Major defect couldn't drive home, court date and DOT summons. The cop was an arrogant c*** who I could tell was a socially retarded misfit treating traffic offences as if they are criminal.

Driving home from doing the right thing at the track on the highway, doing the speed limit in the left lane. A bike cop on the side of the road singled me out because I'm young and drive a clean import.
Had no choice but to un-register the car and toe it now.

My situation will no doubt one day be the same. I've been pulled over for 'random' inspections a few times in the GTR, but have gotten away with it for the most part (1 defect for horn not working and car too low (one of the exhaust flanges hangs down about 5mm too far)).

I drive the car to and from the workshop, and to and from the track, and thats about it. I know one day my luck will run out, I'll get some cop who wants to take my car off the road because the windscreen washers aren't connected or the roll cage side intrusion bars come up about 10mm above the level of the seat, and i'll have to deregister the car. Im just hoping that day comes AFTER i finish my studies so I can afford a trailer and tow vehicle.

Just sucks that they choose to bundle people who go to the track and do the right thing with genuine 'hoons' who are actually a safety hazzard.
11:56pm 29/03/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6058 posts
I had a step brother like you, he's dead now.
um, ok?

what's the date? i'll mark my calender.
12:02am 30/03/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9613 posts
thanks Crak
12:24am 30/03/12 Permalink
Agamemnon
Brisbane, Queensland
1004 posts
Hello Hardware

"that's very interesting information there agamemnon. So are you saying that it's not the case (as i suspected) that if you just get it a little tail-happy in the wet that mr plod is not going to confiscate your car for a quarter of a year? That you'd have to be being an utter f***wit before drastic action like that would be taken?"

Mate I arent exactly sure on the ticketing side but i know that to impound a vehicle even for 48hrs they have to know that you were already ticketed for a similar Hoon Legislation offence in the previous 12 (?) months . If you manage a 3rd offence in the period you lose it for 7 days and then of course comes the big penalties.

Actually i cant be sure that this is exactly right, but its something like this setup i.e. it just doesnt jump to automatic confiscation.

Thermite

"Magistrates make measured rational decisions appropriate to the circumstances. QPS employees make snap judgements and tend to exercise the full extent of their powers."

Best Troll i have seen in this forum yet

There is an old saying "the law is an ass" - and unfortunately there are countless examples of the law being an ass to keep the old adage alive :P

I lol'd though, Magistrates and "rational decisions" in the same sentence... hahaha oxymoron etc
12:43am 30/03/12 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
9010 posts
Its sneaky, revenue raising and makes life extremely difficult for rev heads.

Hard to explain to a non-car enthusiast?

Golfers shouldn't smack drives in parks near houses where they can smash windows, DJs and musicians shouldn't crank on until all hours of the morning in residential areas. If you want to do burn-outs, drift, speed and take corners touge-style - awesome. Just don't f*****g do it on my roads, take it to a track.

Don't complain when the cops pull you up for putting yourselves or others in danger in doing so.

As for that f***wit who said "yeah, I broke the law in modifying my car but those pigs just don't understand!"...grow the f*** up.
01:17am 30/03/12 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
6059 posts
01:22am 30/03/12 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
7382 posts
If you are a car enthusiast and never go to the track, you are a wanker.

If you are a car enthusiast and have ever driven on the road in an unsafe manner to try and satisfy your little needs, you are definitely a wanker.

If you are a car enthusiast, you are probably a wanker.
06:58am 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6085 posts
Strik3r, how are you able to drive that car then if it's defective? Or is there some kind of permit for race cars or something?
09:03am 30/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5959 posts
this thread didn't go how you expected did it rdizz
09:07am 30/03/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2052 posts
When i got given the ticket (a few years ago) it was a self-clearing defect. Ie: pay the fine, but you don't have to have the car inspected by anyone). I have mod plates for a lot of the work done to the car (uncluding roll cage, removal of rear seats, brakes/fuel upgrade), but there are still a few things that are considered defects, not because they are unsafe or dangerous, but because some fat beurocrat wants to keep making up new rules so he can keep his job.

If you want to do burn-outs, drift, speed and take corners touge-style - awesome. Just don't f*****g do it on my roads, take it to a track.

I don't think anyone has said they want to do these things on the streets. The problem is in the way the new laws will be applied.
09:11am 30/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1893 posts
I dont make threads on the idea of success on qgl, I just do it to share my opinion.
It sure does highlight who doesn't give a s*** about cars and driving though.
09:27am 30/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5960 posts
success on qgl, now there's an oxymoron if i've ever heard one
09:39am 30/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12507 posts
Wait, we all give a s*** about driving. Particularly driving on safe roads without people doing burnouts and spinning wheels and other potentially dangerous stuff where they could lose control and run into us.

Like the P plater guy who decided to flick his rear out on the round-a-bout I was at whilst on a motorbike. If he f***ed that up and ran into me I wouldn't be happy. He had his hat on backwards too, what a tool haha
09:41am 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6087 posts
Saw a tool do a burnout last night when I went out to get some shopping. Retard had a hat on backwards and at night...
09:51am 30/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12509 posts
Night drivers, can't trust em. Back in my day, we always drove in the day like a respectable person.
09:53am 30/03/12 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
715 posts
"unnecessary speed or acceleration "

So I can't gun it to 60 from the lights? lol...
09:59am 30/03/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3198 posts
So Newman is Sir Joh reincarnate....

Jobs for the boys...

Fascist Police...

Oh so its different to the labor government HOW? They did exactly the same thing with all of the top spots in government departments. :<. Be realistic for a second.
10:06am 30/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2873 posts
The little Holden Barina my ex purchased with a roadworthy which had a soft head included the following

Rear left tail light (the whole light array) wasn't working because they had the wires twisted around the spare tyre and the plug didn't reach

Blown headgasket

Soft head

Broken seal (probably caused the above two)

Exhaust the size of a large milo can

Horn wasn't working (fuse)

No gasket between cam rail and rocker cover so oil was coming out nice and thick

Waterpump bearing was screwed

Lowered by chopping the springs and putting oversized wheels/tyres on it

Battery wasn't secured

Stereo had been ripped out but they didn't cut the wires back so it was shorting on the stereo chassis

Live wire for an amplifier not disconnected from the battery and loose in the boot

Rear brake light was hanging loose (the one at the top)

Rear guard had popped out and was flapping in the breeze

Some of those items are checked on a rwc. Yes I know she is an idiot for not getting it checked out first but she was in a bind and needed a car that she could register quickly so she could get to work two hours after buying it. It is also set up for being towed behind a bus so imagine how filthy the cabin filter was from all the dust the bus kicked at it and the diesel from the exhaust. Yum. Fixed it all for her except the exhaust which I think is a one piece so needs to be cut off and a suitable sized one welded on. Would have been fun if she had been pulled up in it.
10:19am 30/03/12 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
3199 posts
@ Mental.

I hope you got a BJ for that.
10:33am 30/03/12 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
951 posts
Can we have a law that if anybody uses the wood hoon I get to step on their throats till they die?

The road is a dangerous place, especially when I am on it.
10:36am 30/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35997 posts
I dont make threads on the idea of success on qgl, I just do it to share my opinion.
It sure does highlight who doesn't give a s*** about cars and driving though.
As Toll says, everyone cares about cars and driving, because many of them are in them ALL THE TIME, often with our family and friends.

As a result, we think people who feel like they have some sort of right to drive however they want to, as if there are no other people on the roads, should be removed from the roads.

You have absolutely no right to endanger the lives of others by driving recklessly just because you find it fun or challenging or whatever - that is what the track is for. I'm certainly happy to be part of a community where this sort of behaviour is considered massively inappropriate by the majority of the members.

You need to be aware, especially if you're a young driver (no idea how old you are) that EVERYONE overestimates their driving skill. EVERYONE thinks they're better drivers than they are when they're objectively measured under controlled conditions (just search for "overestimate driving ability" and you'll find a bunch of studies on the subject). I know people reading these very words will be all like "oh, yeh, but that just applies to NORMAL people, not me, I'm a rad driver" - but unfortunately it almost certainly does apply to you.

The net result of all that is basically: please don't drive crazily on public roads that are shared by other people who just want to get from A to B without dying. Think of your car as a deadly weapon - because that's exactly what it is if it is misused. It is almost certainly the deadliest potential weapon you'll ever own and it needs to be treated with the exact same level of respect as any device that is capable of killing, maiming or crippling large numbers of other people with only the slightest inattention.

I think if you think that sort of behaviour is going to be tolerated in Europe (in Germany of all places, where they have relatively strict laws because of the speeds allowed on the autobahn and don't tolerate any f*****g around on them) I suspect you might have a bit of a surprise coming :)
10:58am 30/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12210 posts
I don't think anyone has said they want to do these things on the streets. The problem is in the way the new laws will be applied.

If you can see how things will be, I have a few stocks I'd like to talk to you about!
11:11am 30/03/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
357 posts
These type of anti hoon driving laws have been in place for quite a while in WA and they work. I've seen blokes who have hit their third strike and have had their car crushed. Suck s***, these guys weren't the kind of people accelerating flat our away from the lights or driving their car full pipe in 2nd gear at midnight just to make noise, these were blokes who went flat out everywhere speeding through traffic, burnouts, cutting up in carparks, all that stupid s*** that puts people in danger.

So f*** them, they deserve it... I think people worrying about cops being too power heavy need to see there is a difference between "hooning" and traffic violations like 10k over the speed limit. Sure there may be cops who are going to get it wrong and pull the hooning card but the majority of time unless your dragging someone or being a d******* doing burnouts etc, your gonna come under the usual traffic infringement...

It's been mentioned that vehicles are a deadly weapon in the wrong hands. True. Thats why there's a licence for them. If you had a gun and you were acting like a tool with it, you'd get it confiscated too...

Moral of the story, don't be a d*******... If you want to hoon, do it somewhere where the only person that can get hurt is yourself. Your risk, your consequence.
11:34am 30/03/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6745 posts
personally i reckon the fines & penalties for all road rule infringements are already too high. let the punishment fit the crime. the crime is "breaking a road rule" ... the punishment should reflect that.

i still bothers me that a driver can cause an accident & not be penalised other than perhaps paying for damages, whilst another driver can lose their legal right to use the road for breaking a rule that was implemented to prevent accidents. people that are involved in traffic collisions should be penalised more harshly than those that broke a rule that increased the risk of having an accident.
11:40am 30/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12212 posts
Neg driving is one of the strongest charges that can be applies demon, and it is often applied to the driver at fault?
11:42am 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6089 posts
Demon I think the rules need to be tougher. As others have said, you get in that car and decide to be a up right twad and drift, do burnouts or cause mayhem, then I hope to god that your car gets crushed. A car is a very deadly weapon, and if you can't be bothered to drive it properly and want to risk killing a lot of people at once, then that is just selfish.
11:47am 30/03/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6746 posts
unless there is major damage the police do not care about small traffic collisions. i've been in 3 traffic collisions in my life & no one was charged in any of them. the driver at fault has to pay for the damages or use their insurance but that is really the only penalty for causing an accident.
11:51am 30/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8832 posts
ok and what should happen to people who do arguably more dangerous stuff like texting while driving, not maintaining vital parts of their car, or otherwise being distracted by stuff?
11:53am 30/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35999 posts
personally i reckon the fines & penalties for all road rule infringements are already too high. let the punishment fit the crime. the crime is "breaking a road rule" ... the punishment should reflect that.
I don't really know the current numbers; is there a simple table somewhere that lists all the current penalties?
11:54am 30/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1894 posts
Did you even read my reply to you trog? Im 26 as I said earlier in the thread.

Like I said there is a time and place. Dropping it back in peak hour traffic, through the valley at night or through a school zone etc is just stupid and I agree, but if its midnight out of the public eye up a quiet mountain or back of an industrial area its not that bad. I have been involved in the car scene in Brisbane for 10 years and I am yet to see one single death or major injury from burnouts except one time years ago at harries diner when some ~50 year old guy put his corvette into a crowd of people cause he had no idea.

I dont mind going to the track and im not expecting no laws in Germany but you need to understand the biggest problem on our roads is not hoons(ps i hate that word, a whole legislation is based on Australian slang..) It's inadequate driver training, unfocused drivers & drink drivers if anyone disagree's here with that well get your head out of your ass.

I just think in eurpoe in general the laws there are more reasonable and make more sense, its not so much a cash grab.
11:56am 30/03/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2053 posts
If you can see how things will be, I have a few stocks I'd like to talk to you about!

I think people worrying about cops being too power heavy need to see there is a difference between "hooning" and traffic violations like 10k over the speed limit.

You guys don't seem to realise these aren't new laws and rules. These are just increased punishments. The cops have already been (ab)using their powers to enforce these rules with increasing tenacity over the past decade. The unfortuante reality is that a good portion of the people getting targetted don't deserve to be lumped in with the minority of people who make the rest of us look bad. I have no problem with someone getting their car impounded or crushed if they are driving in a reckless manner on the roads.

A traffic cops definition of 'hooning' is very different to what you think hooning is.
12:03pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12512 posts
I have been involved in the car scene in Brisbane for 10 years and I am yet to see one single death or major injury from burnouts except one time years ago at harries diner when some ~50 year old guy put his corvette into a crowd of people cause he had no idea.

Wait, so you have seen a death ...

Ask the family of the person that died if they think doing all that stuff on public roads, anywhere, is OK?
12:11pm 30/03/12 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
1067 posts
People will be busted for accelerating to the speed limit from lights.. heard it here first.
12:12pm 30/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5961 posts
if anyone disagrees with rdizz they need to get thier head out of their ass...

he's clearly looking for a mature and rational discussion on the topic.
12:15pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12213 posts
You guys don't seem to realise these aren't new laws and rules. These are just increased punishments. The cops have already been (ab)using their powers to enforce these rules with increasing tenacity over the past decade. The unfortuante reality is that a good portion of the people getting targetted don't deserve to be lumped in with the minority of people who make the rest of us look bad. I have no problem with someone getting their car impounded or crushed if they are driving in a reckless manner on the roads.

Have you ever been charged with an offense under the hooning laws? All I've seen here at least is people whinging about defect notices ... which has been going on since I was a kid fanging around in my 202 Torana!
A traffic cops definition of 'hooning' is very different to what you think hooning is.

But people who don't hoon don't seem to be getting booked.

If there are rampant examples contrary I'd love to hear about them.
I have been involved in the car scene in Brisbane for 10 years and I am yet to see one single death or major injury from burnouts except one time years ago at harries diner when some ~50 year old guy put his corvette into a crowd of people cause he had no idea.

Maybe they need hoon licenses so that the skilled people can do their doughies in peace!
12:16pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3985 posts
If you want to drive like that go out onto the racetrack
End of thread
12:27pm 30/03/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6747 posts

you are actually not allowed to do burnouts or donuts on race tracks. (unless you count dragstrips.. which i don't) ;p
it won't be long before the safety lovin' folk make racing lame too ;D

12:35pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2054 posts
Have you ever been charged with an offense under the hooning laws? All I've seen here at least is people whinging about defect notices ... which has been going on since I was a kid fanging around in my 202 Torana!

When I got given my defect notice, the cop told me 'I could have your car impounded for these defects under the hooning laws, but im feeling nice today'. Next time I may not be so lucky. Look at Offset's post on page 1 for an example. He has been charged under 'hooning' laws for driving along at the speed limit in the left hand lane. Mega hooning going on there RIGHT !??!

End of thread

Have you read any of the posts by me and a few other people who DO take their cars out to the race track, obey the road rules when on the streets, and are still going to get fisted by a douchebag traffic cop having a bad day cause they ran out of donughts in the morning ?

To be clear, I don't agree with Rdizz's viewpoint that 'sometimes' its ok to do burnouts/drifting/racing on the streets. Which is why I don't do it. Plenty of people have the same mindset as me (many members of the various car clubs are actually mature, older owners who hate 'hoons' as much as you guys do because they make life incredibly hard for a significant portion of the car community who are doing the right thing.
12:37pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Vash
3479 posts
I dont drive like a hoon but i honestly believe the speed limits on our roads are a downright joke.
school zones for example, theres a section i have to travel often that is about 5KM of schoolzone on a main highway. it is super frustrating to trod along at 40 for that long.
Now they actually are considering having 24 hour school zones? get f***ed.

Pacific highway used to be a 100 zone now its a 60 zone in certain areas. With all the extra safety features of cars today, and the more stringent driver training, why are they reducing the speed limit more and more?
12:40pm 30/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36000 posts
I dont mind going to the track and im not expecting no laws in Germany but you need to understand the biggest problem on our roads is not hoons(ps i hate that word, a whole legislation is based on Australian slang..) It's inadequate driver training, unfocused drivers & drink drivers if anyone disagree's here with that well get your head out of your ass.
I agree with that, but it doesn't make "hooning" less unsafe
12:46pm 30/03/12 Permalink
HyperJ
Brisbane, Queensland
415 posts
"unnecessary ... acceleration" wtf is that exactly?
12:50pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12513 posts

why are they reducing the speed limit more and more?

Because people still can't handle their cars and kill other people with them.
12:51pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12514 posts

When the majority of people around that person roll their eyes when they over accelerate.

I would think any intentional spinning of wheels would be a good start.
12:53pm 30/03/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
358 posts
The unfortunate reality is that a good portion of the people getting targetted don't deserve to be lumped in with the minority of people who make the rest of us look bad. I have no problem with someone getting their car impounded or crushed if they are driving in a reckless manner on the roads.

I agree with this. I used to ride and race dirt bikes hard out and was always getting pulled up just because i was a rider. I observered all rules, wore all required equipment and then some, never got on the pipe around residential areas, always did the righty... and... always got pulled over, chatted etc etc...

Thing is tho, my bike was road worthy, it was always a quick look over, they always left pretty quickly. It's one of those tar'd with the same brush things that will always happen BUT, deal with it bro. They are there to keep people honest. If your driving something unroadworthy and they pull you over and book you for it, then it's on you bro... If they catch you driving your car like a hoon and they book you, it's on you bro....
01:03pm 30/03/12 Permalink
iTOM
Brisbane, Queensland
1244 posts
i always spin my wheels in the wet when taking off. i am not a hoon
01:07pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6093 posts

Slamming down on the accelerator would be a start.
01:14pm 30/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16524 posts
with every post i read of yours in this thread erol

i can see why trog hired you / or you are a trog troll account

just for the record my traction control is always on and i have never been pulled over by cops for no reason just to defect me or some bulls***

but f*** me, you couldn't have less of a clue or understanding that other people like cars not all modifications to cars that a deemed illegal by the law for saftey reasons aren't actually unsake you're just totally 'teh law says so, hurrrr make teh laws tougher'

last edited by paveway at 13:17:34 30/Mar/12

last edited by paveway at 13:19:22 30/Mar/12
01:15pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6094 posts
I understand that cars can be extremely dangerous if in the wrong hands or used for the wrong purpose. I'm not saying don't do what you enjoy, I'm all for spinning wheels etc, but why do it on the main roads when you have these venues that are MEANT for you to do all that. Why do people still act like d*******s on the road when there is a venue made for them to control where it's done.

I'm just using common sense here, and I'm sorry that my views/opinions don't suit you, but I'm not really wanting to say "yeah f*** it, let everyone do doughies on the street", as that will just cause way more accidents, and it's just plain stupid.
01:22pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3520 posts
This thread is like an entire Today Tonight story - it's got the masses all fired up over 'hooning' and other bulls*** which really doesn't cause a whole heap of problems (compared to the other stuff which happens on the road) It's like the old comparison of 'illegal drugs kill xyz' when alcohol and cigarettes kill a s***load more, but you rarely hear about it.

I'm with Orbitor on this one too - there should be a lot more cracking down on idiots texting, hanging dumb s*** from their mirrors and obstructing views, *unsafe* defects on cars (tires, non working lights (hello taxi drivers everywhere), etc)

Down here in Sydney I drive for work (I spend 3-4 hours a day in my car) and I've recently invested in a BlackVue in car camera to catch the sheer amount of absolute retarded f*****y on the roads. In the last 3 months, I haven't had a single day where I haven't had a near miss. I'd say close to 75% of these are caused by people over the age of 60 as well.

I can draw a line where I enter certain suburbs and I know I have to be on the lookout for completely retarded car drivers and spend extra time and energy being super alert because some f***tard is going to pull something stupid.

I'm just really tired of hearing about cops cracking down on hoons and young drivers - yeah we were all young once and we all did dumb s*** (I used to have a few imports and sure enough I did retarded s***, but I also went to the track and had a lot of fun out there) but I believe before a massive crackdown is done on hooning and young drivers - the police need to spend more time and energy cracking down on general f***heads on the road.

Some of the most absolutely retarded bulls*** I've seen in the last while
- People reading a newspaper at sets of lights (more than once..)
- People using iPads at sets of lights watching shows
- Texting while in motion and at lights
- Talking on the phone (once again certain areas, hi tradies, every 5 or 6th car will have somebody on the phone, no handsfree)
- People hanging s*** off their mirrors where I can barely see whats in front of them through their car (boxing gloves what)
- People who have an entire collection of disney characters on their dashboard/parcel shelf - yep I'm looking at you sunnybank residents
- Dude eating a bowl of cereal on a motorbike in traffic
- Tradies with unsecured loads on their utes, especially things like cement powder and sand

tldr; less focus on hoons, more focus on normal everyday driving from self proclaimed idiots who believe they are invincible on the roads because they've been driving for 10 years, who break the most basic road rules. Less focus on speeding, more focus on f***ed up pieces of s*** with non working brake lights.
01:22pm 30/03/12 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1604 posts
dude eating a bowl of cereal on a motorbike in traffic

hahaha, that's amazing

01:39pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
961 posts
To further Space Ninja's comments;

http://i.imgur.com/XtmdK.gif
01:55pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4587 posts
Dude eating a bowl of cereal on a motorbike in traffic

Completely irresponsible of course, but nonetheless impressive from a logistics perspective.
02:00pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4488 posts
as if there are no other people on the roads, should be removed from the roads.
that's the problem though, most hoon's have their fun in an industrial estate in the middle of the night, and the cops will happily drag you down regardless of context of your "hooning". to suggest otherwise is just ignorance. some articles about how much worse hooning is than just "driving 5kph over the speed limit".

all you 5k+ speeders are just as bad if not worse than hoons, why don't we remove vehicles for that infraction?

lets put this all in context.

0.000054% will die on the road, a year. mostly from people running oranges and speeding up to 10kph an hour.

0.00014% will die each year from the flu, mostly from others not covering their mouths when they cough or working while ill.
03:00pm 30/03/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5330 posts
Lots of terrible horror stories; the one this evening about the guy who permanently crippled his mate driving drunk was particularly depressing.

You mean in several decades there are many stories that people have accumulated by doing the wrong thing?

So I'm curious is you're using that to justify losing a car for 3 months for accelerating too fast?

I don't hoon, but i've been pulled over for "hooning" before because i didn't use my brakes around a corner (i put it into second, called compression braking). Under this law it sounds like i could lose my car for three months, and because
allow police to commence proceedings by ticket for a 'pre-impoundment offence' rather than having to proceed by way of a Notice to Appear

Suddenly it feels like the cops are judge and jury too.

edit: PS i was doing 50 flat in a 50 zone, but i just took the corner at <50 but not much lower than it. The cops to catch me said they had to do 140km/h (in that same 50 zone) and from a km away caught up in seconds. I didn't know it was the cops at the time though, i thought it was someone in a f*****g hurry.

Also because i work near goodna sometimes, there's a set of traffic lights which are broken on smiths st. This set if you miss it you wait for about 60 seconds as it has to go through the full change of turning on each direction. I see 4-5 cops a day turning on their sirens to run that red light because they're too lazy to wait.

If you wonder why noone has respect for road rules, there's why.
03:05pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4489 posts
In the last 3 months, I haven't had a single day where I haven't had a near miss. I'd say close to 75% of these are caused by people over the age of 60 as well.

you must drive terribly. my wife has the same problem of having "heaps of almost accidents all the time", and although its normally the other drivers fault, the way you drive greatly affects the chances of you ending up in that situation, being aware of drivers intentions and avoiding their blind spots, also paying attention to inattentive drivers and assume all other road users don't know the road rules or how an indicator works. I've had many instances where i have had right of way and had to yield to another car who doesn't know the road rules, but it never ends up being a "near miss".
03:15pm 30/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5962 posts
mostly from people running oranges and speeding up to 10kph an hour.

do you have a source for this?..
03:19pm 30/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2874 posts
Last year they had an operation where instead of going in a D car they would use a marked police car for everything, transporting that person, marked car, appearing in court, marked car. I have never seen Queensland traffic run so smoothly. Everyone was at the speed limit, not under it, not over it, on it. People kept left unless overtaking.

The a*******s weren't cutting people off, people were indicating, etc. I think it was around this time last year, I drove up and down from Hervey Bay about five times while moving so I noticed the hug increase in marked cars. If there is a cop three cars behind you at the lights you will take off perfectly, if you go around a corner and see a police car the next corner, that one you like to let the back slip out a little, you won't do that because chances are there will be a marked car coming towards you around the corner.
03:19pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3521 posts
you must drive terribly. my wife has the same problem of having "heaps of almost accidents all the time", and although its normally the other drivers fault, the way you drive greatly affects the chances of you ending up in that situation, being aware of drivers intentions and avoiding their blind spots, also paying attention to inattentive drivers and assume all other road users don't know the road rules or how an indicator works. I've had many instances where i have had right of way and had to yield to another car who doesn't know the road rules, but it never ends up being a "near miss".

No drama, this is why I invested in a camera for my car which records everything in Full HD 30 FPS and re-writes every 5 hours. I should make a greatest hits reel for you so you can see how often some f***head in a camry pulls out of a side street without looking.

Yep terrible driving I'm sure.
03:31pm 30/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2875 posts
Please do Space Ninja, I'm addicted to watching the s*** on youtube.
03:34pm 30/03/12 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1451 posts
I should make a greatest hits reel for you so you can see how often some f***head in a camry pulls out of a side street without looking.

sounds like sandgate...
03:36pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4490 posts
do you have a source for this?..
i have neither the time nor the inclination to help you, but if you check my link there was a dude with an official looking title blaming general speeding as the major contributing factor to road accidents and that "targeting hoons" is ineffective.

No drama, this is why I invested in a camera for my car which records everything in Full HD 30 FPS and re-writes every 5 hours. I should make a greatest hits reel for you so you can see how often some f***head in a camry pulls out of a side street without looking.
oh, I don't doubt that you have lots of footage of retarded people on the road, I just thought if you're having near misses every day then maybe the problem isn't just the other drivers?

what style / colour car do you have?

last edited by Captain Lateral at 15:42:18 30/Mar/12
03:37pm 30/03/12 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1452 posts
Rats tails should be a defect, that would clear the streets of 89.63% retards.
03:40pm 30/03/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6867 posts
Dude eating a bowl of cereal on a motorbike in traffic

How do you know it was cereal and not porridge? So judgemental.
03:47pm 30/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5963 posts
i have neither the time nor the inclination to help you, but if you check my link there was a dude with an official looking title blaming general speeding as the major contributing factor to road accidents and that "targeting hoons" is ineffective.

i did follow your link and there is zero mention of running orange lights so I guess you just pulled that part out of your ass? there was also no link or reference to any data or studies to back up that professor's opinion so it's a pretty paltry source. for reference here is Qld TMR's data which suggest alcohol, unrestrained occupants and young/elderly drivers are the most common factors (speeding is up there though): http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/d11b4779-a716-42be-9841-a2795e134feb/stats_year_in_review_road_crash_report_2010.pdf
03:54pm 30/03/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20449 posts
People in this thread who need to have their cars crushed: orbitor, Rdizz and offset.
04:45pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3522 posts
Here you go

I'm not going to take all of the videos off the camera but heres one from yesterday morning where a dude in an alfa decided to change lanes ontop of me right after the harbor bridge - it was indicate and merge in the same movement

04:55pm 30/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2876 posts
I would've let him in myself, it is mildly annoying though.
05:00pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3523 posts
The camera is a little decieving as you can't see the front of my car - but when he flicked the indicator on I was already inline with his rear bumper, my choices were keep going and avoid him or mash on the brakes and watch somebody rear end me - its an 80KM/h zone and in early morning traffic nobody can decide on what lane they want. That and the GPS speed limit is a little lagged - I was probably doing 30km/h by that stage?
05:01pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12747 posts
that was an example of bad driving from both you and the other party - you totally had the option of backing off there

not saying I haven't done the same thing myself many times back in aus, but I'd never make the mistake of claiming it was all the other guy

man I do not miss australian drivers at all, so tranquil over here by comparison
05:02pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3524 posts
No, I really didn't Jim, see above post.

There wasn't any room for me to back off and let him in as I was already in line with the rear of his car, he had decided to indicate and merge in a single movement. I'd rather not be the total assclown (like the taxi at the start of the video) who decides to mash on the brakes and causes the issue in the first place. Learn to f*****g indicate, check, then merge.

last edited by Space Ninja at 17:04:35 30/Mar/12
05:03pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6101 posts
It seems you left a nice gap which is what your suppose to do, though the person indicating doens't know how to indicate. You are suppose to give at least 5-10 seconds notice that you are intending on merging, and only merge if safely. So it looks like to me the person merging is in the wrong.
05:04pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1787 posts
Its all part of the fun of driving.
05:09pm 30/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2877 posts
Ahh K, I have little side lights that glow green at the end of the front guards which would be perfect for giving depth perception to camera footage. I wasn't saying you were in the wrong either, just that I would've let him in. I'm usually a passive driver though. In stop go traffic and people are merging onto the freeway I'll let a few cars in, I won't let that a******* that speeds up from way back there and tries to get infront in when I've already let three or so cars in though.
05:12pm 30/03/12 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
757 posts
Jim is right, you had the option of slowing down and you chose to accelerate. You instead moved into the lane next to you... considering the speed of cars in that lane prior to that movement you could have been taken out by one of them very easily.

I'm definitely not blaming the cause on you, but your reaction could have been better. If you'd been on the brakes at the time you started moving left you'd have been fine at that low speed. And as a plus, you both would have been safe.

Of course, it's easy to analyse that from an armchair, harder to have made that choice on the spot. I've been in that same situation plenty of times and have reacted both ways...

I hate the way people indicate too... too many people use their indicator as some kind of "I'm turning now", where anyone with half-decent vision can already tell when you're turning.

I experienced that exact mindset with my dad just recently. He's getting on and has trouble thinking in heavy traffic because his vision and reactions aren't so good any more. He wanted to be in the next lane over but couldn't grasp the idea in the moment that he should put on his indicator in order to eventually merge, so that people were aware ahead of time and would eventually let him in. It was fairly distressing to see him wind himself up in knots trying to deal with that situation and my suggestion that he activate his indicator so after my initial suggestion I had to just sit there while he was unable to change lanes because no one would let him in (no gap) because they had no idea he wanted to merge.

The switch to driving a big under-powered ute after riding a motorcycle for so many years and I've become absolutely reliant on the early indication procedure... there's rarely ever a gap I can pounce on these days.
05:25pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Space Ninja
Sydney, New South Wales
3525 posts
I give up, the world is full of retards.
05:32pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2071 posts
Plenty of people have the same mindset as me (many members of the various car clubs are actually mature, older owners who hate 'hoons' as much as you guys do because they make life incredibly hard for a significant portion of the car community who are doing the right thing.

this
05:52pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12517 posts
My question Space Ninja, is why where you not in the lane next to you that was zooming along ;P
05:54pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12748 posts
lol you put up a vid clearly demonstrating your arguably unsafe driving, and everyone else is a retard
06:07pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4592 posts
it was indicate and merge in the same movement

Isn't that how it's done in Sydney? Lots of traffic argy-bargy because the congestion is horrible.
I'm not saying he's in the right, because clearly a shoulder check would have been in order but it does look like you hit the gas instead of the safer option of backing off.
06:31pm 30/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16527 posts
f*** sydney driving

i went down there a couple of weekends ago for 1 day and a night, in the cab from the airport to the hotel i saw enough to make my blood boil if i was driving

f*** - that
06:43pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19620 posts
Slamming down on the accelerator would be a start.

wrong. I drive a 4 cylinder s***box and flat to the floor is the only way to make it get anywhere.

If I end up with a fine for "un-necessary acceleration" I'm taking that f***** to court and demanding they give me a definitive m/s^2 value that I must not exceed in order to comply with this "law".

This bulls*** is like saying "don't speed" and then not putting up any speed signs. Everyone has their own opinion of what is necessary and what isn't.

People have told me I drive fast, well I don't exceed the speed limit, nor do I (usually) drive in an unsafe manner so obviously my mind works faster than theirs and processes the visual input from my eyeballs a lot faster because to me I'm driving normally. F*** the haters.
06:51pm 30/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8833 posts
People in this thread who need to have their cars crushed: orbitor, Rdizz and offset.

lol. I started driving in 1997 and have had one ticket in that whole time. I reckon I'm a pretty relaxed driver. I'm just into cars and think these hoon laws are bunch of bulls***. In fact I'll rage on any laws that give police the power to be judge and jury.

What do you drive? If it's not straight out of the showroom I bet I could find a defect on your car in about 10 minutes flat.
06:51pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4491 posts
so obviously my mind works faster than theirs and processes the visual input from my eyeballs a lot faster because to me I'm driving normally.
Yep, that's got to be it.

Space Ninja
exactly what I was talking about, not your fault clearly you had right of way, but if you keep driving like that you're going to have a lot of "almost accidents". this is what they are referencing when they talk about "defensive driving".

in that footage you clearly hesitate when you see him indicate, then accelerate once he starts getting into your lane. he had no right to be in your lane, but if you kept breaking it wouldn't have been an "almost accident"
07:16pm 30/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2879 posts
I hate it when I break my bloody brakes.
07:20pm 30/03/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20450 posts
Less talk more crush orbs.
08:33pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5737 posts
09:43pm 30/03/12 Permalink
lmnt
Brisbane, Queensland
1656 posts
I hate the fact police can hand out defects on a whim, and its up to you to go to court and sort out the mess when they get it wrong. The government, however likes it that way - Give a bunch of people with no technical expertise the ability to make technical assessments and you have yourself a lot of revenue. That's not to say that some don't know what they are doing, or its too "technical" a job to tell if a car is too low, but some really don't have a clue in the world and they get to give you a defect. They should let the transport department do what they do and deal with that stuff.

Hooning is also a f*****g load of s*** invented by today tonight which gave the whole geriatric community something to ramble about once again over tea. It's nothing new! It's the same car culture has been around since cars were invented - kids/idiots have been getting fast cars, doing stupid s*** since then and will continue to do so till the end of time, if you don't understand this, you are living under a rock.

Everyone has moments of speed, road rage, "unnecessary acceleration" etc. Its just if your in an expensive car that everyone is jelly about, or anything with mags for that matter, your immediately a hoon.

Other countries aren't as retarded as Australia. Take Germany for instance, I've driven on the roads there a lot, rain, hail, snow, shine, autobahn, you name it, my dad was highway patrol there for 7 years. The roads are 1000x better built/managed/policed/safer. You can speed in a lot of places and you will basically never see a speed trap anywhere. Cops there are far better trained - it takes them 4 years before they even look at a gun. Here they basically get it in their party bag along with some lollies, pepper spray, a tazer and some face paint when they join up. (I know some people will disagree with me, but it's true, you totally get a party bag when you sign up)

I was in Germany for 5 weeks during Christmas, I drove across the country a few times and through Austria visiting friends and family, I never once saw a speed trap. All road cops ever did was direct traffic, keep a presence and D&A's (which i didn't see either). And where the Australian and German rule-book really differ is on etiquette. In Germany, if you swear at people or flick em the bird, you will lose your license, if you do not keep right on the autobahn after overtaking, you will lose your license. If you are driving too slow, yep, license. There are awesome truck lanes that mean a truck will never cut you off or slow you down. Their system is designed to reduce stress and make the interaction between other drivers more sophisticated, fluid and safer. And mark my words: Germany is, through and through a safer place to drive, and each and every one of them is what we would call a "Hoon".

"But derpy herp, I'm the best driver in the world, more bulls*** won't affect me derp", - I don't care in advance

tl;dr --> It's the same old piping hot load of bulls*** pushed by the policy makers to continually display their superpowers of creating lazy ass legislation, that gives a bunch of under-qualified people a heap of fuzzy gray area legal s*** to make peoples lives harder.
09:53pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5738 posts
I have seen heaps of 'Cops' setup only to flag people down, then it's the TMR guys that go through and give people defects. How often to random Traffic cruisers pull people over just to defect them? They have one of these bays setup almost once a fortnight in/around Logan Central.
I know a few things that I could get done for my Jeep, even a few things I could get done for my (Council issued) Work Ute. Not safety defects (well... maybe on the jeep...) but things I could definitely be pinged for.
09:58pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6104 posts
Whoop my current car is a 4 cylinder so I can sympathise with you there. Thing needs to be rammed to move off from lights. I was thinking you had a V8 or something.
10:18pm 30/03/12 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4462 posts
+1 lmnt, well said mate
10:28pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1895 posts
+2 lmnt, well said mate
10:38pm 30/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12749 posts
mostly a rambling bunch of hot air, laced with anecdotal nothings - asif you'd +1 it
12:22am 31/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19623 posts
Whoop my current car is a 4 cylinder so I can sympathise with you there. Thing needs to be rammed to move off from lights. I was thinking you had a V8 or something.

I used to have a v8 ute, rego was too expensive. My daily is a 1991 corolla. It's "fast enough" but yeah, obviously a commodore or pretty much anything is going to accelerate faster than I possibly can in that thing if we both pin it to the floor. That's my biggest concern, that there's no definitive numbers and it's up to the police to use their judgement.

Like when Optus used to have the whole "if you download more than the average in your area you'll be shaped" method. If you lived in an area where no one used the internet, you were f***ed. Is this how this law is going to work? Have a "big" car in an area full of small gutless wonders and you're screwed because a cop sees you out accelerate everyone?

What they should REALLY target, are fools who do 80 in the fast lane on the highway.
01:26am 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2880 posts

I just jogged from Marsden to Browns Plains and back and didn't see a single act of hooning, nor did I see any police car's. Lot's of f*****g spider webs over the path though.
02:40am 31/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1896 posts
well it was happening, out of public eye.. i dont go there but its always on.
02:55am 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2881 posts
Yeah, see the same white supra with gold wheels cruising up and down it looking for drags every night.
02:57am 31/03/12 Permalink
taggs
5964 posts
mostly a rambling bunch of hot air, laced with anecdotal nothings - asif you'd +1 it

haha, reckon.
10:04am 31/03/12 Permalink
Rhys84au
Brisbane, Queensland
10 posts

I live on browns plains road about 1500 meters from magnesium drive.

over the last 3 years its gotten less and less hoonville around here except for the odd idiot such as the one that took out the fence the other day. but we dont really have groups of 300-500 cars driving around racing, blocking up the servos ect anymore.

they have headed out towards forestlake way now according to aca the other night (i know, s*** reporting but they had the right location at least)

ill admit when iam on my bike i might do 10-15 kph over the limit along browns plains road, but in a car im a carefull driver. 28 and never had a ticket ect.. i was in 3 accidents within a month when i was 18 however when friends were driving and hooning that has led me to suffer from anxiety/panic attacks in certain situations related to motorised travel (essentialy if iam not in control of the vehicle i get really edgy) which requires me to suck down on valium when it happens. sucks because i cant fly a plane....

i say bring on these laws, but this undue acceleration section needs to be refined down to something more detailed
10:58am 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2882 posts
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19034732/IMG00001.JPG

I was in the back of that car, after the driver slipped the back out a little going around a corner in Canungra, he did it at the next corner, the car rolled 11 times and ended up next to a cliff.

I don't get panic attacks but being a passenger makes me uneasy.
12:15pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12215 posts

+1'd
12:32pm 31/03/12 Permalink
lmnt
Brisbane, Queensland
1657 posts

mostly a rambling bunch of hot air, laced with anecdotal nothings - asif you'd +1 it.

Recounting my experiences is First hand not anecdotal. Your phd. In eveything should have taught you that. Now if they had a crackdown on fourwheeldrives, you would be a completely different kind of forum expert.
01:28pm 31/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16532 posts
when your average cop knows as much about/is into cars as say your average eorl or trog, yet have the power to determine some specific thing youve done to your car as being unsafe

lols ahoy
02:06pm 31/03/12 Permalink
lmnt
Brisbane, Queensland
1658 posts
when your average cop knows as much about/is into cars as say your average eorl or trog, yet have the power to determine some specific thing youve done to your car as being unsafe

Exactrry
02:08pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2074 posts
I live on browns plains road about 1500 meters from magnesium drive.

over the last 3 years its gotten less and less hoonville around here except for the odd idiot such as the one that took out the fence the other day. but we dont really have groups of 300-500 cars driving around racing, blocking up the servos ect anymore.

they have headed out towards forestlake way now according to aca the other night (i know, s*** reporting but they had the right location at least)

ill admit when iam on my bike i might do 10-15 kph over the limit along browns plains road, but in a car im a carefull driver. 28 and never had a ticket ect.. i was in 3 accidents within a month when i was 18 however when friends were driving and hooning that has led me to suffer from anxiety/panic attacks in certain situations related to motorised travel (essentialy if iam not in control of the vehicle i get really edgy) which requires me to suck down on valium when it happens. sucks because i cant fly a plane....

i say bring on these laws, but this undue acceleration section needs to be refined down to something more detailed

I work in the crestmead estate in magnesium drive. I have to commute from Springfield through browns plains via Johnson road, so i understand the area and I agree, there are less retards around now. I remember the 400 or so cars lining the HJs car parks and literal racing up and down that main road.(the infamous united servo)

I recall driving to work and stopping at the lights near the showgrounds, some idot decided to drift his s2000 around the corner. he lost controla nd it go stuck up on the traffic island between the side of the road and the turn left lane.
it was literally see sawing as the car was too low .
02:30pm 31/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36005 posts

lols ahoy
presumably if you get pinged for something being "unsafe" though that you are confident is not, you can dispute it after the fact?
02:38pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Brisbane, Queensland
1897 posts
When I saw that incident at harry's when the corvette ran into people no one died, one guy got a broken leg and other people just had minor injuries.
03:07pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4681 posts
Recounting my experiences is First hand not anecdotal.
Wikipedia disagrees http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
03:20pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2883 posts
Except if they slap you with a can not drive sticker and then you're out of pocket for towing and what not until you can get it inspected trog.
03:26pm 31/03/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36006 posts
Except if they slap you with a can not drive sticker and then you're out of pocket for towing and what not until you can get it inspected trog.
But presumably those things are recoverable if it is determined later that the officer made a bad call and your car is not, in fact, unsafe?
03:46pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12750 posts

it is actually, when there's no way for you to prove them to the people you're telling them to

Now if they had a crackdown on fourwheeldrives, you would be a completely different kind of forum expert.

they've always had crackdowns on 4wd's and I'm just as objective in that situation as well

besides you're mistaking objectivity for apathy anyway. I like quick cars, which is why I have 555hp twin turbo V8. I just don't sit here and waffle on about the cops or the utterly futile idea of expecting safety policies to make exceptions based on dubious details like "but the time and location I'm in and the way I'm doing it doesn't endanger anyone"
03:58pm 31/03/12 Permalink
lmnt
Brisbane, Queensland
1659 posts

Wikipedia disagrees http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

http://vocabulary-vocabulary.com/dictionary/anecdotal.php

Definition: 1. based on second-hand accounts or stories, rather than first-hand knowledge; 2. relating to anecdotes

Synonyms: illustrative, descriptive, characterizing, interpretive

Antonyms: first-hand
04:14pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4682 posts
I like how one of the usage examples was pretty much what your story was.
04:46pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2884 posts
Possibly, but I don't imagine it would be a quick and easy process. With the modified cars I've owned I've always kept as much paperwork in the glove box so it's quick and easy to walk off. I'm much more into 'tourer' cars then imports or sports cars now. Cars which are comfortable to drive long distances in and not get out and feel like your been groped by an elephant afterwards.

I had a 7 seat Pajero which had a mod plate because the previous owners took the rear d***ie seats out, when I put the d***ie seats back in and new seatbelts I had to get a mod plate to make it a seven seater again (even though it was registered as a seven seater), that made the officer scratch his head when he was inspecting it.
05:18pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2077 posts
we need consistency and officers that have sound mechanical knowledge.
05:20pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2885 posts
If you drive along the Bruce highway when it is one lane and get stuck behind a caravan doing 80 in a 100 zone, you get to an overtaking lane and go to overtake and suddenly that slow caravan is doing 90, 100, 110 so you fall back behind, five k's later and you have seven cars and the caravan went back down to 80 straight after the overtaking lane ended behind you and you come to another overtaking lane do you

A) hammer it past and slow down as soon as you have passed (you may be counted as a hoon)
B) try to slowly overtake it without exceeding the speed limit and end up behind the caravan
C) hammer it past and slow down (not brake hard, but slow down so the caravan has to) allowing the other cars to get past as well
D) stay behind the caravan and watch all the other cars overtake at speed

*watch the exhaust of the car towing the caravan and you can see when they hammer it at the start of the overtaking lane just to be a c***. This is when you are driving a fair few k's so it's more than a few minutes of your time lost going at 80 instead of the speed limit.
05:32pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12751 posts
http://vocabulary-vocabulary.com/dictionary/anecdotal.php

lol
even if this "Your Vocabulary Building & Communications Training Center" site you've chosen to quote from wasn't completely wrong in claiming anecdotal is an antonym of first-hand, so much of your ramble was not first hand anyway - I said your ramble was laced with anecdotes, not consisted entirely of

but here you go:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anecdotal?s=t
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/anecdotal?q=anecdotal
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdotal
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anecdotal
05:38pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12752 posts
If you drive along the Bruce highway when it is one lane and get stuck behind a caravan doing 80 in a 100 zone, you get to an overtaking lane and go to overtake and suddenly that slow caravan is doing 90, 100, 110 so you fall back behind, five k's later and you have seven cars and the caravan went back down to 80 straight after the overtaking lane ended behind you and you come to another overtaking lane do you
yeh that sux, but it's not an excuse to speed

I would probably hammer it past anyway, but I wouldn't have anyone to blame by myself if I got pinged for it
05:41pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5740 posts
I can, would and have gunned it passed those types of caravans many times.

Got done by the cops for it once. Took my Ticket, as I was in the wrong. Caught up to the caravan 30min later and did the exact same thing and continued on driving.
06:30pm 31/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2888 posts
Yeah most people do A, I usually do C (not dangerously, like slam my brakes on or anything, just get past and slow down giving everyone else a chance to get by). I'm just interested in Trogs and Eorls answers because I think they do mostly city driving and I'm curious.
06:38pm 31/03/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
16534 posts
Full boost bro
06:45pm 31/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8834 posts
But presumably those things are recoverable if it is determined later that the officer made a bad call and your car is not, in fact, unsafe?

nope. you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent. and you don't have any compensation avenues for wasted time and costs, other than maybe court.
08:24pm 31/03/12 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8835 posts
nope. you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent. and you don't have any compensation avenues for wasted time and costs
08:26pm 31/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6130 posts
Most of the time if I'm stuck behind a caravan, I'll indicate and either move out and around without trying to break the speed limit. I only really see overtaking as a need to move past someone doing below the maximum speed, like a caravan. If I have to go above 100/110 just to get around someone, then I clearly didn't need to overtake as I would be exceeding the speed limit and I would have to slow back down, making the caravan tailgate.
08:57am 02/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2894 posts
Yeah, but I'm talking about the ones that go 80 in a 100 zone until they get to an overtaking lane and then they speed up.
09:01am 02/04/12 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4466 posts
lol love the big HOODOO TABOO of NEVER EVER BREAKING the sacred speed limit.

so heres a tip. UP TO 12KPH OVER IS ONLY 1POINT AND A $133 FINE. so get the pass done within that and your risk of a fine is minimal.
Continue driving happily without getting wound up over the slow retard.

on several occasions cops havnt even bothered pulling me over for going 10over straight past them.
09:03am 02/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6131 posts
Yeah, but I'm talking about the ones that go 80 in a 100 zone until they get to an overtaking lane and then they speed up.

So in your example then, are you saying the caravan is going 80 until an overtaking lane and then they speed up to 100 making it difficult for you to overtake? Then I would have to speed up and overtake if I knew he was going to drop back to 80, but I guess that's the risk you take.
09:17am 02/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2895 posts
Yep, I'm heading up to Hervey Hervey Bay today, I can put money on the fact I will get stuck behind several of these caravans, and as this is police season, my four hour trip is going to take five.
09:24am 02/04/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12218 posts
Yeh driving the Bruce is an exercise in frustration that mental describes.

On the one hand I get it - drivers towing vans etc can't do the speed limit in the windy bits, but can hit 100 in the straights. Nobody likes to go slow, so they drive as fast as they can in the conditions.

Like most people I just give it to it to get past them. Pisses me off tho, especially when you're the 11th car behind them and 9 get past before the overtaking lane ends!
09:31am 02/04/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1281 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: trolling
09:51am 02/04/12 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36008 posts
lol love the big HOODOO TABOO of NEVER EVER BREAKING the sacred speed limit.

so heres a tip. UP TO 12KPH OVER IS ONLY 1POINT AND A $133 FINE. so get the pass done within that and your risk of a fine is minimal.
Continue driving happily without getting wound up over the slow retard.
haha. I wonder if you will complain if you get fined about moneygrabbing cops? Or will you just quietly shrug and accept it? Because what you've written there in implies to me that you have carefully done the risk-benefit equation and will gracefully accept any fines that are handed out your way.

In my experience though the ones that are the most cavalier about road rules and speeding are the ones that b**** the loudest when they are caught.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about overtaking - sometimes you need to overtake for all sorts of reasons and the only way to do it safely is to temporarily go above the speed limit. But I find that most of the time when I feel the "need" to overtake it's because I'm stuck behind someone who simply feels like they're slowing me down - when in fact I'm just happily plugging along behind him going the speed limit anyway.

Ain't nothin' wrong with driving behind someone!
09:54am 02/04/12 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
359 posts
People that stick to the speed limits overtaking also create more risk in my opinion. You have 1 caravan travelling at 90 - 100 km/h and sooner or later the cars stack up behind them. The longer your stuck there, the more likely you are to get frustrated and force the issue of overtaking.

I don't see a problem with speeding to overtake, unless your speeding excessively. Most times a quick squirt past doing 120 is good enough. This stops the "rolling road block" effect when you have a person overtaking doing 110 and a caravan doing 100...

30 minutes later, if your still stuck behind that caravan, you'll be looking for any little break in the traffic to get around the prick i garauntee it... Patience drops, chance of a more risky overtake goes up. I remember asking the copper about it when i was doing my driving test. He told me to get around as quickly and safely as possible. He told me it was ok to exceed the limit as long as you were doing it safely. I'd rather do that than pose a risk to others.
09:58am 02/04/12 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
1810 posts
I good driver wouldn't get stuck behind a caravan because he would be anticipating over taking the caravan long before getting stuck behind it. Maintaining the flow of traffic is key without excessively speeding or driving slow. Driving to conditions on the right roads at the right time of day or night.

I really think you're overly hasty deleting my posts sometimes.

http://wolgarstonenglish.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/jc-1.jpg
10:18am 02/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2896 posts
It's not just after the mountain corners though Hogfather, there are plenty of overtaking lanes which have straights before and after where they speed up.
10:25am 02/04/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12220 posts
I good driver wouldn't get stuck behind a caravan because he would be anticipating over taking the caravan long before getting stuck behind it.

I've no idea what you're talking about there.

If you think you can avoid traffic snarls behind slow moving vehicles like caravans and tractors by being an AWESOME SAUCE DRIVER then you're delusional, or at least need to start driving outside multi-lane highways in SE QLD.
It's not just after the mountain corners though Hogfather, there are plenty of overtaking lanes which have straights before and after where they speed up.

Yeh but drivers often feel more 'safe' speeding up on multi-lane highways because they are a lane away from the opposing traffic, which is where the driving to conditions thing comes in. A cautious person pulling a van will feel more capable to hit the limit if they don't have traffic whooshing past them 50cm away doing 100 in the opposite direction.

I'm not saying the behaviour is right, or that its good driving, but it is what it is. I don't think many people pulling vans are deliberately trying to keep people behind them, just not thinking about how their driving is affecting others.
10:55am 02/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2897 posts
Next time you see it on the Bruce, watch their exhaust as they put their foot to the floor as soon as the overtaking lane starts. I know what you mean and that accounts for a fair few, but there are a heap of bastards that do it just to piss people off.
11:00am 02/04/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
12221 posts
When you drive past them you should extend your spinny wheel blade things and cut those morther f*****s up.
11:02am 02/04/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
6137 posts
That or they think speeding up will help people behind them to overtake.
11:02am 02/04/12 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4467 posts
hogfather speaks the truth, slowpokes speed up when lanes open up because it feels safer and less intimidating than being right next to the oncoming traffic. so its not always to deliberately f*** you over, its just that theyre noob drivers.

and yea trog, if you receive a 1 pointer, you rejoice, thank the cop and celebrate that it wasnt a 3 pointer :]

+ also yes its great to allow the faster guys through, you can then tuck in behind them, arrive at your destination quicker and save fuel in their draft :]

last edited by sCOOBY at 11:04:35 02/Apr/12
11:03am 02/04/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2898 posts
Like I said I'm usually a passive driver, it doesn't make me rage, I was just curious how people go about getting past, Bruce is a *unt of a highway to drive on, just glad it isn't raining today, so many potholes and ruts in the road it turns into a lake.
11:07am 02/04/12 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1455 posts
also yes its great to allow the faster guys through, you can then tuck in behind them, arrive at your destination quicker and save fuel in their draft

But not for too long. In my first car (s***box laser) I drafted a speeding truck most of the way to the gold coast until the engine overheated and got upset.
02:09pm 02/04/12 Permalink
typo
Other International
6481 posts
I would pay money to crush hoon's cars. As long as the hoon had to watch me while I did it, so I could see his precious tears rolling down his face.
04:15pm 02/04/12 Permalink
typo
Other International
6482 posts
you must drive terribly

Nah mate, he lives in Sydney. The vast majority of Sydney drivers have no understanding of the road rules. They just do anything they want, whenever they want to.

04:22pm 02/04/12 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
2428 posts
But not for too long. In my first car (s***box laser) I drafted a speeding truck most of the way to the gold coast until the engine overheated and got upset.
I managed to do it for 1100kms in my 88 pintara, managed to do that distance in less than 1 tank of fuel.

But then again that car was like a c***roach, it survived anything.
system
Internet
--
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.
Close