Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Electric Cars
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
8827 posts
Been reading some articles about new electric cars. Check this one out - the Fisker Karma. It even has solar panels built in to the roof.

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/en-us/karma/overview

Justin Bieber was given one by his management for his 18th birthday.

04:48pm 07/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:48pm 07/03/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
8828 posts
04:49pm 07/03/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
9142 posts
Which ones Ellen?
04:49pm 07/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2344 posts
top gear uk covered it a few weeks ago
05:09pm 07/03/12 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4102 posts
05:12pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1268 posts
Which ones Ellen?

The not so girly looking one.
05:12pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7245 posts
processed meat
05:59pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
5744 posts
Wonder if his voice will finally drop. Though if that happens his career will probably be over, though he'll have enough money to retire.
06:21pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19473 posts
Which ones Ellen?

one on the left, I think

Wonder if his voice will finally drop. Though if that happens his career will probably be over, though he'll have enough money to retire.

It's pretty high for 18.
08:59pm 07/03/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10114 posts
electric cars will only become a thing when you can charge them in a very short period of time.

also when their range becomes more than the range my car has when the fuel light comes on.
09:13pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5607 posts
Some of them have fairly decent range these days. But they really really need to work on Charge times. Or have 'Swap and Go' type battery systems that can be handled by Servo's.
09:17pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
19478 posts
^^^ more like swap & go cars. Kind of like you pay your rego now, you could pay the same monies to rent a car for the year, when its flat you just swap it over. Be good for people who just want a s****** to drive 15 minutes to work every day. Unfortunately knob heads would treat them like crap, making this idea impossible. What ever happened to respecting other peoples stuff?
09:25pm 07/03/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8451 posts
When will ppl understand that Electric Cars will never be anything more than a novelty ?

Of course there will always be those tin foil hat types that think the Electric Car has been held back by The Illuminati.
09:36pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12676 posts
When will ppl understand that Electric Cars will never be anything more than a novelty ?
when back to front world becomes a reality, and your claim actually comes true
09:53pm 07/03/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
8829 posts
rubbish FaceMan

Nearly every car on the road in 20 years will be electric, mark my words.
09:53pm 07/03/12 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
7677 posts
Coal powered cars saving the environment one recharge at a time
10:09pm 07/03/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5828 posts
^ Coal power baby oh yeh!

* 1 Tailpipe instead of eleventy billion
* Aussie Coal instead of oil from some nutbag foreign country
* How much coal is burnt to power an oil refinery?
* whats wrong will coal powered electricity? So its ok to to have coal power your trains, tv's, pc's and recharge your laptop and smartphone but as soon as you recharge a car it's killing polar bears? wtf?

Electric Cars are the kings of congested cities. Stop start slow moving traffic pwnage. For everything else I agree they are s***, that's why electric car drivers in the USA usually have 2 cars and use the electric car for all the small day to day commuter trips (the bulk of all driving) and they keep the family truckster to tow the trailer to the beach.

Anyway electric cars are already being bought and used in the USA. Battery Swap cars are coming soon as well.

10:45pm 07/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2347 posts
right on slaps,

we have some of the best, cleanest, purest coal going, we mine the s*** out of it, send it all over the world, yet if we burn a little extra, it is a crime???

fyi, there is a s*** load of coal burnt (our coal no less) that goes into the powering of the chinese factories that make all the cheap solar panels anyway, so it is a lose lose
10:57pm 07/03/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8454 posts
I wonder why those Segways havent taken off ?
http://www.segway.com/
Wernt they going to change the world ?

Free Public Transport is the FaceMan Partys Policy.

11:28pm 07/03/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
12677 posts
I'm not sure whether they've taken off or not - but if not, my guess would be because not a vast number of people want to ride around on an electric scooter with no protection from the weather, even less stability than a motorbike, low range and speed and barely any potential for cargo?

it's a stretch, I know

are you actually comparing those to electric cars, or is context misleading me?
05:09am 08/03/12 Permalink
predat0r
Germany
419 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car%3F

A documentary worth watching explaining why the last attempt at promoting electric cars was not successful. The manufacturers had actually produced viable vehicles and the battery technology was improving rapidly until it got put on hold again.

No Illuminati, just simply car manufacturers, oil companies and the general populace. Very sad seeing Alan Cocconi explaining they were already capable of 300 miles per charge and that was way back in the 90s :(

Must admit here in Germany, the Angela Merkel has put forward a challenge to the auto manufacturers to develop the technology further. All the new taxis here are at least hybrids.
05:59am 08/03/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6583 posts
Electric cars won't take off until you can get decent distances out of them. Battery technology hasn't developed like microprocessors have. If battery output doubled every 24-30 months, we'd have the equivalent power output of a nuclear powerplant in every iPhone.

Just look at Tritium batteries. They've been around since the early 1900s, maybe 20 years after Alkaline batteries, but have barely progressed since then.
09:46am 08/03/12 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
355 posts
whats wrong will coal powered electricity?

Seriously? Why do you think Australia's CO2 emissions per capita sucks so much?
11:14am 08/03/12 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5829 posts
ffs who gives a f*** about C02 emissions anymore. China the USA and India certainly don't.
12:22pm 08/03/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8457 posts
on a side note, has anyone noticed the HUGE increase in LPG ? wtf ?
Taxi Fares are going to have to go up very quickly.

01:33pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Chester
Queensland
46 posts

Hydrogen powered cars FTW IMO
02:10pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2355 posts
hydrogen at first look is great, however until it becomes easy (and cheap) to make, store, and ship, it isn't going to happen,

electric is great, and will remain great for cities, but in order to work as a whole (as a city car) it needs to stay small, if it tries to be big, it will not be worth it long term,

i'm going to put range extenders and hybrids in the same boat here, but the systems that have been and are been developed will be helpful in what will happen

bio-diesel, be it made from waste oil, or little bacteria, it is the fuel of the future, remember that cars are only some of the machine that will run on whatever the solution, planes, boats, portable generators

it is also the easiest to incorporate into are current supply chain, and it is already in use in the US war machine,

it also has less impact on food crops,
02:23pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
49 posts
The Chinese are going after shale gas in a big way and so far they have discovered reserves of 25tn cu metres, which is millions of millions of gas. So f*** you ozzie coal and the UN can go shove their useress 21 agenda bullcrap fair up their Kyoto.
02:38pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2356 posts
the chinese will still buy our coal, they need the good stuff in order to make steel you fool, most of our coal is used in steel making
02:43pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5614 posts
I haven't heard much lately about those Algae farms, I think last I saw some guy had a proto-type farm running and was actually producing. Quick google found one that was experementing with Jet Fuel, in 2008. Plans to test 'Within a year' but I cant find any info on any tests...

A few others say they are at the stage ready to build pilot plants, but not much info on when...
02:44pm 08/03/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5263 posts
rubbish FaceMan

Nearly every car on the road in 20 years will be electric, mark my words.

F*** you.

You mark mine down: In 50 every car will be nuclear powered. Cars will be like houses, being passed down from one generation to the next.
02:55pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
4510 posts
which is millions of millions of gas

wat
03:04pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
50 posts
the chinese will still buy our coal, they need the good stuff in order to make steel you fool, most of our coal is used in steel making

Well thanks for the incredibly well sourced reply their Einstein and It's good to see that they're not burning our coal for electricity and only to make steel. You wouldn't by chance be a global warming alarmist would you? It's very unusual for someone to get wound up by a light hearted post like mine unless they're f***ed in the head.
03:15pm 08/03/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
2688 posts
bio-diesel, be it made from waste oil, or little bacteria, it is the fuel of the future, remember that cars are only some of the machine that will run on whatever the solution, planes, boats, portable generators

I quite liked the Jaguar concept with the turbines generating electricity for the electric engine, the turbines could be run on pretty much anything flammable, plus it looked fantastic.
03:19pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2357 posts
I haven't heard much lately about those Algae farms, I think last I saw some guy had a proto-type farm running and was actually producing. Quick google found one that was experementing with Jet Fuel, in 2008. Plans to test 'Within a year' but I cant find any info on any tests...

A few others say they are at the stage ready to build pilot plants, but not much info on when...

i've read a few aircraft mags and basically the US navy has tested, and is running (where able to source) on a 50:50 blend, and the c130 is cleared to run on 100%, that was awhile ago so they have more than likely moved on and up from those figures (also i remember hearing something on 612ABC about them switching where and how they get the fuel for the navy, IE if you dont have a bio sourced fuel they will not fill up in your country, cant remember the date/year they were pushing for that

kaizer, get a clue, you basically implied that because china has found huge reserves of shale gas, and because of this, they'll no longer buy aussie coal, or as you put it "So f*** you ozzie coal and the UN can go shove their useress 21 agenda bullcrap fair up their Kyoto", i pointed out china buys it for more than make electricity
03:32pm 08/03/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5264 posts
Well thanks for the incredibly well sourced reply their Einstein and It's good to see that they're not burning our coal for electricity and only to make steel. You wouldn't by chance be a global warming alarmist would you? It's very unusual for someone to get wound up by a light hearted post like mine unless they're f***ed in the head.
What the f*** is wrong with you? OH wait troll.

He is wrong btw. Most of it goes to Japan who uses it for steam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_in_Australia#Major_export_markets_for_Australian_coal Coking = Steal. Steam = Steam.
03:34pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2358 posts
greazy, i thought that china mostly imported coking coal from us?

edit, dont worry, i read your link, confirmed my thoughts
03:46pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5615 posts
i've read a few aircraft mags and basically the US navy has tested, and is running (where able to source) on a 50:50 blend, and the c130 is cleared to run on 100%

Thats pretty cool that they've taken such a stance on it. Do you know if thats specifically Algae Bio or any Bio ?
Last costings I read (long long time ago) had Algae Biodiesel at about twice the price of Oil per barrel... but optimism about bringing that down. Cant see anything to say that it has changed much though, Google seems to mostly be finsing stuff from 2009...
03:56pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2360 posts
mostly algae from my understanding,

also, remember the cost per barrel in the last few years has climbed, and no doubt the cost of bio is dropping, best to equip and sure up a fuel supply now as far as a war machine goes,

that is one lesson the Nazi's gave us
04:13pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
51 posts

kaizer, get a clue, you basically implied that because china has found huge reserves of shale gas, and because of this, they'll no longer buy aussie coal, or as you put it "So f*** you ozzie coal and the UN can go shove their useress 21 agenda bullcrap fair up their Kyoto", i pointed out china buys it for more than make electricity

Do you go through life calling everyone fool when they say something you don't agree with like Mr T or something, you must have a lot of teeth.
I couldn't give a rats arse about coal and I know that we here are the worlds biggest exporter of black coal yet we produce 10 times less than China, what does that say about our manufacturing base.
04:16pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2361 posts
china doesn't have high quality coking coal, hence why so many countries buy our coking coal.

also, I have all my teeth, and still have one baby tooth, so, i guess i can get away with calling people fool, sadly i'm not black, and dont have 7kg of gold chains.

i'm guessing you have a few hang ups, the most agressive statement in that was me quoting you, also, this is the web, for all you know, i could be 7 foot tall, blonde nordic god like man, or a 5 foot nothing skinny weed, care to place a bet there?
04:32pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
52 posts
I think you're underestimating China's natural resources, they're still developing and building infrastructure at an incredible pace and they buy our coal because we're selling it now when they need it.
I no doubt have hang ups too numerous to mention but you reminded me of a global warming alarmist when you started your Mr T impersonation, arguing from a point of unknown authority.
04:50pm 08/03/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5265 posts
greazy, i thought that china mostly imported coking coal from us?

edit, dont worry, i read your link, confirmed my thoughts

Yeah, I think you meant most of the coal China importants from us goes to steal making (which is true). But as a total, more coal is exported for Steam than Coking.

Kaizer, no body likes a racist.
05:00pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
53 posts
"Kaizer, no body likes a racist."

It was Team America strength at best. Or is that a clue as to why old mate was upset?
05:22pm 08/03/12 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
5266 posts
No you're just a racist. Shutup f*****.
05:24pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4443 posts
for electric travel i want me one of these http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/images/zero-s/2012_zero-s_product-page_main-image.jpg capable of 120kph, 9kw motor and 100km range on the highway (almost double the distance in the city).

not a car replacement, but a bike never is. promises to be fun with loads of torque right of the line, plus $63 cents for a full charge, can't argue with that!

Id seriously consider purchasing one for my daily commute, but a silent motorcycle might be a bit too dangerous for me.

When will ppl understand that Electric Cars will never be anything more than a novelty

rubbish, electric cars are already viable, petrol cars are completely nonviable if there wasn't any place to "fill up", so this is the current problem with electric cars.

Also, I have an idea that I've been working on for a while that should reduce the cost of Li-Ion batteries %30-%40, and easily lends itself to a "swap and go" system quite easily by taking advantage of bulk manufacturing.

we're looking at 1kwh for $300-$600 instead of the usual $1000
05:25pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Captain Lateral
Brisbane, Queensland
4444 posts
No you're just a racist. Shutup f*****.
homophobe...
05:29pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Kaizer
Queensland
54 posts
I don't even own a Harley.
05:33pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2362 posts
you throw that term "global warming alarmist" around to quickly, and based of nothing (and none of the comment I made could i see that impression made)

china has so much in resources, yet it is investing in mining here, along with india,
dont underestimate our coal,

also, i'm not upset, you made a silly throw away comment that they wouldn't need "aussie" or our coal, which was a pretty uninformed comment, then made a few rash statements,

anyway enough derailing

I think that as far as electric cars goes, the same reasons that they faded away over 100 years ago will come back, however as a form of city transportation they are ideal,

we as a country should start looking at better forms (and less price sensitive fuel powered) of making electricity there is no way we could be like iceland (which i think is 100% "green" power) as we are too large and spread out, and lack an active volcano for geo-thermo, solar is only good for helping duing peak load, and impractical with everyone feeding onto the grid as we most often do. (problems with the lines, unless our houses get smarter and have a powerstorage method that isn't battery based.)

all that said, the current crop of cars seem quite good, the only electric car i have driven was over 15 years ago, and was for the solar Challenge (I was a test bunny)
05:37pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2363 posts
homophobe...

i think greazy was calling him a twig, you know a f***** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F*****_(unit)
05:39pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7248 posts
i saw my dads electric set up when i was in oz.. he spent 25k of solar panels and his bill was 600/quarter now he gets back 100-200 per quarter..

free electricity ftw
05:43pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2364 posts
so at best he will have paid for it in 30 years,

that is not factoring in maintenance costs, or price changes, and if his usage changes
05:49pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5616 posts
Math fail there copuis. <9 years (at the low end of what he gets back) He was -600 /qa now he's +100 (200)
So over all he's up $700 /qa, or $2800 a year.
Most panels have a 25+ year warranty and most other parts should last 10-15 years easy.

Also, that's assuming Electricity prices stay the same level... What's the bet the go up, so he pays off the panels even quicker.
05:55pm 08/03/12 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7250 posts
omg thanks scooter.. maths fail at the qgls

last edited by Superform at 17:58:04 08/Mar/12
05:56pm 08/03/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
2366 posts
i worked off the figures coming back, not saved, (my bad)

it also depends on how much longer they give you so much at peak,
06:06pm 08/03/12 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10118 posts
on a side note, has anyone noticed the HUGE increase in LPG ? wtf ? Taxi Fares are going to have to go up very quickly.
Yes and no. Believe it or not, but LPG costs only account for about 17% of running a taxi, after you pay the driver. But that being said, for LPG to jump from 58cpl to 89cpl will completely wipe all profits for the month for most taxi operators around.

Read more here
I know two of the four people quoted in the article.
08:11pm 08/03/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:11pm 08/03/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.